Bookworms

Options

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Louise1491 wrote: »
    Just finished the ninth life of Louis Drax. A good two way narrative story, with a slight fantasy twist. Well written and interesting characters. I think you need to like quite odd/ twisted stories to like it, which I do very much.
    Overall a good read, but the ending lacked alot for me.

Side note: why is it that every book I've read recently I discover after that there is a film coming of it in the near future. I just saw the trailer for 'the ninth life of Louis Drax' and it looks like utter crap. My imagination was far better.

I'm sure it's just so we can all go "The book was better." People love that.
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    On another note. I read a free book on iBooks called "Skinny Me" by Charlene Carr. Has anyone read this? I thought "hey, this might be a good one considering it's about someone who decides to change their life and be healthy." I HATED it. I HATED the main character. I get that being made fun of can sometimes lead to where a person is then questioning the relationships they have in their life and questions compliments as being sincere or not, but this went above and beyond. I actually hoped she'd fail.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    just started Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke but my ebook formatting is awful and that's apparently the hardest epub to find in the history of the world.

Calibre is a great app to reformat ebooks.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    does anyone use the kindle first program? it gives you a choice of a few new releases to read for free each month, i just downloaded June and July but haven't started either yet. I'm wondering about the quality of the books. (although i'm sure it's variable to some degree)
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here read "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins??? I want to discuss it :)

I it was okay. I didn't like the main character at all, which makes for a tough read. It was also not as suspenseful as it was talked up to be.
  • oliverngus
    oliverngus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Me! :)
  • mickeygirliegirl
    mickeygirliegirl Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here read "The Girl On The Train" by Paula Hawkins??? I want to discuss it :)

I it was okay. I didn't like the main character at all, which makes for a tough read. It was also not as suspenseful as it was talked up to be.

I didn't like nor dislike the main character. I could unfortunately relate to the alcoholism (boyfriend's ex is an alcoholic) and that was actually quite on-par and maybe that's why I felt more empathy toward the main character than anything.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    does anyone use the kindle first program? it gives you a choice of a few new releases to read for free each month, i just downloaded June and July but haven't started either yet. I'm wondering about the quality of the books. (although i'm sure it's variable to some degree)

I use it every month. Been some good books, been some bad books. I have found that a number of them are book 1 in a series. Figure it is a way to get you to buy the rest.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options

I use it every month. Been some good books, been some bad books. I have found that a number of them are book 1 in a series. Figure it is a way to get you to buy the rest.

it's all starting to make sense now. thanks!
  • fornowiamwinter
    fornowiamwinter Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Right here!
  • maryrice702
    maryrice702 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Also a bookworm...kind of showing up late to the conversation. I love that you guys are discussing Elizabeth Gaskell and Charlotte Bronte! I also love Jane Austen. Those three are my favourite authors!

I didn't discover Elizabeth Gaskell until University, and it was only after watching the BBC adaptation of North and South. After reading that one, I quickly ordered a bunch of her books from the local shop haha

I love Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte and George Elliot. I had never heard of Elizabeth Gaskell until very recently.
  • maryrice702
    maryrice702 Posts: 23 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I haven't figured out the quote thing. Sorry, Spontaneous Hiker.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Checking in
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Yeah, I was underwhelmed. :/

I just finished The Girls by Emma Cline. I happened to be at the library when they had just received it - they hadn't even put it into the system yet. I commented that I was interested in reading it, so they got it ready so I could check it out right away. ❤
  • maddieraye123
    maddieraye123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OMG Heyyy fellow book lovers!! I'm reading the I Am Number Four series by Pittacus Lore,Im on book 5! I just finished Me Before You by JoJo Moyes and loved it! But #1 on my top 3 favorite book series is The Hunger Games Trilogy
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I use the Kindle First as well. If you have Prime, its free. Nice to get a free book each month.
  • RyanTempleRhodes
    RyanTempleRhodes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge bookworm. My TBR pile is gigantic right now. I've currently been reading everything by Sarah J Maas right now. I'm fixing to finish A Court of Mist and Fury.
  • melasencio
    melasencio Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can read pretty much any genre. My favorite is Horton hears a who.