WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Kim- Congratulations! I am so happy for you. It isn't working when you're doing something that you love. And it is a big bonus when you get paid for it!

We just got home after a road trip overnight and back. So now I will get my exercise done and then my walk in.

Such a senseless tragedy in Dallas! I am thinking that the officer that shot the young man here in Minnesota did not do it intentionally but in fear that he had a gun and was about to pull it out of his pocket. Very sad for everyone concerned. My heart goes out to those of you that have loved ones in Texas that have been affected.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim - HOORAY! HOORAY! HOORAY!

Janetr okc
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @Annr Becca I gave blood in your honor today. :)

To know that I have affected you in a positive way makes this ol' gal proud. So in a bit you will hear of where you made a difference. It's a powerful thing! I still have a small black and blue mark, but its my badge of courage. We are superheros friend!!
    Becca
    your co-blood donor side-kick in
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Kim~Congrats!! Happy for you!!!
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    joycehooray for sleep, it is the best thing ever. I am looking forward to a good two nights rest while I'm back with my girl and DH for a quick visit

Kim hooray (insert relieved emoji and happy dance emoji). So happy for you, congrats on the new job!!

I had an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and relief as I drove home, the closer I got the better I felt, did you feel that way Barbie? I thought of you since we have that stressor in common of hating to drive in difficult circumstances (for me traffic and tight Philadelphia streets that are not familiar to me). So I am taking a respite and relaxing with a good book.

I did not eat drive thru fast food while driving, a true NSV for me, I actually didn't even want the junk food which has always been a go to when my family situation heats up! Once I ate a bucket of kfc on the way home from a disastrous family wedding. A bucket of fried chicken while wearing a bridesmaid dress can you picture that????
    NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Lenora the girlfriend appeared calm because she was in shock. Her daughter was in the car and told her mother to stay strong and that also influenced her reaction at the time. When she filmed what was going on it gave her a focus. I know when I have had traumatic events in my life I have reacted both ways. When I was rear ended I went into the calm zone. When I had that bug in my ear I was quite upset. There is no right or wrong way to react in a traumatic situation. You get through it the best way you can. Anger following the event is also natural. From what I heard of the tape the police officer had the opposite reaction and became tremendously upset. Again a natural reaction given what happened.

:heart: Margaret
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    animated-blood-bank-and-donating-blood-image-0003.gif
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Rori of the Colorado Foothills - I have a good idea generally where you are. I looked in the Golden and Highlands Ranch hogback area at places to buy, but then decided it was just too close to get a view of mountains when you are in the mountains. :D

I sometimes travel into Denver and will see if you are free next time I am headed that way.

Charleen in Colorado (My money and my daughter both go to CSU) :p

• susantylerbrown29
    susantylerbrown29 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Charleen2. My daughter will be a senior at CSU this fall
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    I got the job! t3430.gif I got the jog t0219.gif I got the job

:)Yippee
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »

I had an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and relief as I drove home, the closer I got the better I felt, did you feel that way Barbie? I thought of you since we have that stressor in common of hating to drive in difficult circumstances (for me traffic and tight Philadelphia streets that are not familiar to me). So I am taking a respite and relaxing with a good book.

NYKAREN

t113013.gifKaren, the sense of relief and accomplishment was huge....all city driving makes me crazy and with my husband as a passenger offering "helpful advice", it was even worse. Since I've been home, I've been much more relaxed about things that might have been stressful because they seem like nothing compared to driving in Seattle and on the Interstate highway. Congrats to you for staying away from fast food as a stress reducer.

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Patrick Goudeau's Extreme Calorie Burn DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Low Impact Cardio Leg Blasts DVD.

The Wii said I gained 2lbs but the scale says only .5. Go figure! Well, Sat. is my "official" weigh in day. It was probably that chocolate chip cookie that did it, but I would have thought that all the work I did cutting the weeds and then putting down the weed killer would have helped.

Karen - I decided to take the lazy way out. There was this three cheese chicken salad at Aldi, I added more veges and more chicken to it along with more cheese. I took that over to them. Like I said, I just took the easy way out. I have another one that I'm going to give to this gal who lost her hubby in early June. She's a member of Newcomers. I'm also going to make her a key line cake but I'll only give her 1/2 of it. I'll explain (and this is true) that I think she can probably eat just so much cake, so I'm not trying to be cheap. But I am going to keep your recipe, probably for us. I tried to do something fast since I've been working on those weeds. they're all sticker bushes and I HATE sticker bushes. Plus, we let them go a few years so the bottom is nothing but dead stuff and the bushes are mainly on top. Also, some of the bushes are like 8' tall (literally)

Rori - there will be pictures, maybe at the end of the summer. Maybe I'll get more done, who knows? But then again, at the rate I go, I may not

Joyce - I don't think the tumor caused the seizure. My suspicion is that that was the first time in years that I'd even seen Bryan much less talked to him. His "therapist" was saying, what I thought were some silly things, I couldn't even bring myself to respond. I think it was so much stress that brought it on. Before this skype session he'd written me a really hateful email, it was so convoluted that I couldn't even cry. However, one doc thinks that my hitting my head had something to do with the tumor making it more noticeable or it growing or something. charlie sure is lucky to have you there

Lisa - would you do me a favor, please? ask your hubby how do they get the weeds off of a dirt mound?

Julie - welcome! I eat more out of boredom than anything else. I'm really trying Barbie's suggestion of only eating what is on my daily plan. It's helping some.

Cut down more of the weeds then went in the pool, had dinner now here. It's so hot but I'm bound and determined to get those weeds cut down. I don't work for a real long time. Tomorrow we go to the Hallmark store to get some of the Christmas ornaments we ordered then the farmer's market. Hope the guy with the good corn is there again. Also need some beets, well, really, want

Karen and Heather - so sorry for your loss

Lenora - I was going to mention about Chicago, but I see you have already. Facts don't lie

Kim - how wonderful!!!

Michele in NC
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Got my haircut this morning and my stylist told me she is moving to Ketchikam. Alaska. Now I have to find a new one again. She was just getting the hang of cutting my hair. My hair used to be straight but now that it has turned mostly gray it has become curly. What is with that? Ginger the dog got groomed and clipped this morning too. She looks beautiful and is very soft and fluffy. Got groceries later. My DD stopped last night at the farmer's market and we had a fruit salad last night with peaches and blueberries. Yum! We have gotten a half dozen blueberries from our bushes so far. There are not a lot but many more than last year when we first found the bushes buried in weeds.

Kim - Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!! Good for you. I'm sure it is a relief to have something steady that you can rely on.

Becca - I used to give blood regularly when I worked at the hospital. They always wanted us to donate around the holidays and would give us a certificate for a free meal in the cafeteria. I am unable to donate now because of the sarcoidosis.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I would like you all to check out the DHS webpage about active shooter awareness training. If you just type those keywords in you can find it. I, a mild-mannered peace-loving librarian had to take one of these workshops for work and it was a real eye-opener. Do not believe that Texas Lt. Governor when he faults people for running away! The first thing they tell you in the workshop is run run and run some more! If you have a hysterical co-worker and they won't run you need to leave them! The average situation is over in four minutes.

This is the world we are forced to live in now until we can get our do-nothing for us because they are bought and paid for by lobbyist representatives to enact sensible gun control.

My heart aches for all the grieving families tonight. I do believe there is a racial component to some of the fear, but really IMHO this is coming down to the fact that gun manufacturers are making piles of money off of our fellow citizens of all races by playing up to mostly male feelings of inadequacy about all manner of things and they will do anything to protect that cash cow.

This is not the America we should be leaving the next generation. What can we do to stop it?

In the meantime I love you all and want you to be safe!!! Get educated on what to do. And Margaret you are right--not even the professionals with all their training can predict how they will deal with shock in a stressful situation so ordinary citizens really cannot have any predictable reaction. This may have been what happened to the St. Paul officer too.

In an active shooter situation your best defense system is your feet not a gun in your hands.

What a crazy topic for discussion-- time to track down some cat videos or something--has anyone seen any good ones? I could go for about a week's worth. There was one about a cat licking a cake on Facebook...

Betty--trying to not feel defeated by the politicians, lobbyists, media hacks and disgruntled armed to the teeth people here in my America the Beautiful, land that I love, and sorry if I reverted to political topic (maybe just sociological?) but others were too and the news just is so distressing today and I felt I could vent with you all just a bit. All done now!

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I got behind with my Maine family's visit & 4 AM trek to Logan. DG is safely in Oregon skiing Mt Hood.

Michele & Lenora thanks for your answers...I plan to walk in the shallow end & floating listening to the water sounds like something I'll enjoy too.

Miriam thank you so much for explaining all your exercises I copied & pasted them so I can print them for reference...wish I could go without the suit but think it might be a problem in my backyard ;)

DJ thanks for keeping my DH in your prayers, KKaren for your good wishes.

Annc you asked if I have insomnia on 1000 calorie days...well I'm not a great sleeper in general usually 5-6 hours so it's hard to tell but I don't think so. I eat dinner around 7 so I'm never hungry at night usually asleep by 10 wake up @1 read for til 3 then sleep til 4 or 5...been my routine for years.

DH wants to chat, he's an engineer who likes to have very specific plans & lots of lists...the pool construction has been an opportunity for both in great measure.

GLo subdued on the North Shore of Ma
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing

GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 25X7X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge

7.5 miles

This is the end of week for kettle bell swing.

Barbie - you're doing a great job chauffeuring your DH around. I know exactly how you feel. Today, my DH was telling me how to drive. I wanted to pull into a parking spot because a car was pulling out and he was telling me keep going. I angrily snapped back don't tell me where to park! And I parked there! Then to make matters worse, he was upset at me! Men!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Michele

I am chuckling at you referring to yourself as having taken the lazy way out. Lazy you are not, my friend. I bet the chicken salad was delicious and appreciated.

And I want to make a comment on your reference to the situation which led up to your seizure. Years ago my brother (who is mentally ill and manipulative) somehow convinced my mother (a really great person, not perfect - nobody is) to go to see his "therapist" with him, and the two of them raked her over the coals for an hour - quite the ambush, she had no idea what she was walking into. That sort of thing is totally unethical. Confrontation and interventions have their place, but ambush does not. And you will notice I put quote marks around the word "therapist". Not.

Kim girl-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif

Becca It's catching. A relative made an appointment to give blood for next week. See what you started?

My heart is so sad for Philando Castile's little girl and fiance, Alton Sterling's sons, Brent Thompson's new bride and his little grandson, Patrick Zamarripa's brother, wife & children, Michael Krol's mother & other family members, Michael Smith's two daughters, and Lorne Ahrens' wife, son, & daughter. Every one of these people was somebody's human, and none of them should have died.

Karen in Virginia

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.56min, 14amph, 138mhr, 2.5mi = 92c
    SPIN- 40min, 98r, 56w, 6-8sp, 134mhr, 8.5mi = 275c
    ride gym 2 done- 4.59min, 12.6amph, 142mhr, 1mi = 74c
    ride dome 2 hm- 19.11min, 8amph, 149mhr, 2.5mi = 186c
    total cal 627
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Katla, isn’t it terrible when you have a great hair dresser/barber and they have the nerve to move away!! barber-smiley-emoticon.gif

Joyce, isn’t it fun and sad when we find things like that basket that have things not touched for 15 years? I do think Walmart sells that “stuff” but I’m so far behind that you have probably been shopping for it already. LOL

Heather, I know you don’t want to let any moss grow under those feet and enjoy hearing about your future travel plans. Do keep us posted.

KarenVA, congrats on the weight loss. You are doing great. If your food choices haven’t been good, start making them good. No time like “now”. Keep up the good work.

Tamyena/Mary, where are you from? We have a resident Mary so need to add something to your name, like maybe a state. Anyway, congrats on the loss. You are doing terrific so don’t get impatient and keep it up.

Lisa, great looking paper. When I was a little girl down in south Texas, we called those “Horney toads”.

Barbie, that sounds like an easy hairstyle to keep. And doing one’s own hair saves a ton of money. Since I do mine and DH that affords me to continue to get my nails done. *or that’s my rationalization, anyway*

Terri, so good to hear from you and glad you will be able to come more often soon. We miss you!!!! <3<3

KarenE, if I sat for 8 hours without getting up I probably wouldn’t be able to stand. Can you get out of your chair and move a bit every hour?? Even if you are still tethered to the phone, the movement and blood flow has to help.

Cheri, it sounds like things are going well. That is terrific news about your son’s transfer. “Happy Trails”

Wickglamgirl, welcome. I don’t know how old you are but I was 67 when I started on this journey and I lost 60 pounds in less than a year so it can be done. Probably only if you plan your meals and stick to the plan…. Please sign your posts with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. This is a great place for support and information so come daily.

Katla, sorry to hear your doggy is still not over the fireworks. smiley-lights-fireworks.gif Sending him soothing thoughts.

Janetr, glad for you and Jack that the surgery is over and they feel they got it all. I hope it heals quickly.

Heather, have your wine and ignore all the outside distractions. cheers.gif Life is good.

Tracie, I did have to laugh about you getting a side ache just walking to the mailbox. mail-man-smiley-emoticon.gif Then, of course I had to start picturing your mailbox down this 2 mile long driveway. And it went on from there.

Susan, welcome. It is easy for women to forget to take care of themselves. Glad you are going to give that some attention. This is a great place for the help and support you need. Come often.

Joyce, I lived with sever low back pain for years so I do feel for you. I hope the other set of x-rays have better news. (((Hugs)))

KarenVA, you are kickin’ that exercise. Go girl!!!

Cheri, so sorry to hear that your rental fell through but hopefully the next one will be even better!!! Keep your boots on and you’ll be a Texan before you know it.

Heather, I guess if you’re going to have an orgy it’s better with cheese than cheesecake. piece-of-cake-smiley-emoticon.png Just get a grip and next time call DH and tell him to come restrain you!!!

Allie, try to stay out of the kitchen while you are going over everything in your mind. It does sound like a better place for DFIL and you are the one that goes to see him often so it would be nice to be that close. If he is pretty far gone, he may not realize he’s even moved? I know you will make the right decisions. He’s lucky to have you!!!!!

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I really wanted to catch up on here today but it’s England’s fault that I didn’t. Well, at least Wimbledon’s fault. I love the tournament and spent entirely too much time watching the men’s semi-finals today. Then tomorrow is the Ladies Finals and Sunday is the Gentlemen’s Final. So, ladies, don’t post too much for the next two days or I’ll never catch up. loltennis-ace-smiley-emoticon.gifSending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day!
    Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    So the details, I will be gardening 600 hours a year – that is 2 weeks off and 12 hours each of the other weeks, but in the winter it will be less per week and in the spring and fall more per week. The title is head gardener (but there is no other gardener at all) – so the “head” part is just marketing… It is about ¾ of an acre in organic garden, about ½ of an acre in edibles the rest is a pond, chicken coop, large potting shed, patio for classes, and a green house. There are 6 chickens, which I will help with. The edibles are something for all times of the year – herbs, annuals, a small berry patch and an orchard. It is located within a children’s camp. If you google images for Camp Arroyo – you’ll see the camp, no pictures of the garden but it is a beautiful spot in the rolling hills just outside the city. The garden is mostly for the kids to be exposed to the fact that food comes from plants, they also help with the compost of the cafeteria scraps. Excess edibles go to the kitchen and the kids and/or staff get to eat very locally. The garden was just a fenced off plot 13 years ago when my now retiring friend took it over; and now it is beautiful with raised beds, a solar powered pond, a cooling station with overhead misters - so I get to take it to the next level - I want to add more herbs, some citrus and grapes, lavender and convert one of the flower areas into just California natives…

This will make my schedule much more structured between my 2 gardening clients which are 6 hours a week, that makes 18 hours of gardening each week (about) and 25-30 + hours of embroidery each week – and 15 hours (about) of teaching cooking a month… This will affect my time with you all, but will hopefully address one of my 2016 goals, which is to be in less debt at 12/31/16 than I was on 1/1/16 - And I will be paid for exercising!!!!!!!!!! As gardening is good exercise and the garden plot is on a slope so it is quite a walk from the top to the bottom of the garden.

For the next 3 weeks I am watering a friend’s veggie garden she has 6 4x8 beds in a community garden and she’s on a garden tour in England… And it is full of veggies ready for harvest. Yummy!!! Cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, kale, lettuce, strawberries, blackberries… I think she’ll pay me too, but just not having to go to the market is great!

Heather’s miso based soup motivated me and I made miso soup with glass noodles (rice threads) tomato, cucumber, zucchini, tofu, and seaweed - 109 per cup.

I won’t start until July 18th… but if I am more erratic in my posting please know you all will be in my thoughts!

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png