Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Ann C. - I was glad to read at the end of your post that you felt so much more relaxed. I definitely have to learn the same lesson over and over. I always tell everyone that I've lost 1500# in my lifetime, I haven't but it must be close. I'm slipping back into the old habit of snacking late at night. I've been thinking today of ways to put a stop to it. I'm going to have to plan a totally different routine I think and change what I've done for years which is after the news goes off and hubby finds "his" shows to watch on TV. I get up and remove myself to the computer room to catch up here and with my other social network and then play games. But it gives me a chance to sneak into the kitchen and bring snacks back to eat. Tonight I will remove myself to the living room, where hubby can still see me from the Florida room, and use my tablet to catch up on posts.

Long story short, your post ending with you felt more relaxed and having to learn life lessons over and over just resonated with me. I'm going to change my old late evening habit, even it if means going to bed at 11:00 pm and waking up at 4:00 or 5:00 am. At least that early in the morning I only drink coffee. So hold me accountable and ask me tomorrow how I did tonight.

Cheers to us for "relearning" some of life's lessons B)

Janetr OKC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Headed out to the swimming pool. With my shoulder issue I can't swim too well but I can use a kickboard for a good hour or so. It's just too darned hot to walk or run so the water sounds like a good option.

Going to San Antonio tomorrow to go to Sea World with my daughter and her kids. Should be fun. Hot but fun.

Marcelyn
    whining in hot hot Houston
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Janetr - I am watching youooooooooo! <3<3<3

Katla - As you will see from my later post, my "bouillabaisse " is a cheat's version. I use a large glass jar of French fish soup from the fishmonger, though you can buy it online, and just add this and that, like smoked haddock, salmon, cod, prawns, sometimes a couple of scallops, a few mussels or a bit of squid. My fishmonger is very accommodating and knows me well. The accompaniments, cheese, croutons, rouille, are the traditional South of France ones.
    It was incredibly delicious, by the way, and soooooooooooo easy.

Heather, who did not have any alcohol tonight, even though her DH did, because I told you all I would not. :D

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    <3
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't know how finished your basement is, but when I was in high school, we had an unfinished basement. I turned a corner of it in to a lovely rec room and sewing area by using bedspreads tacked to the rafters to create soft walls on all four sides. Put down a room size rug WITH A GOOD PAD to insulate the floor. And had LOTS OF LIGHT so it didn't feel like a cave. I had a couch in there, and my sewing table. Used a trunk for a coffee table to store my sewing stuff when I wasn't using it. It felt like a gypsy tent and was really cozy.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am thinking the idea of combining what I am am doing calorie-wise has to be combined with more physical exercise as someone mentioned on this page a little while ago. So I have gotten back on the bicycle as it is too hot for me to use the machines at the Y. Went on a ride that was too ambitious on Sunday and where I had a flawed concept of the hilliness and felt defeated, but yesterday I forced myself to get back on and do some small hills because how else can I improve at it? Wish me luck with the new scheme!

The Sunday ride was along Lake Ontario and was lovely the little we rode--orchards, horses, old homes and gardens -- but there was quite a bit of wind and there was loose stone on the roadbed (we call this cheap seal because the highway depts. throw this gravel down and let the cars pack it in all summer instead of properly rolling it smooth). Bad for bicycle rides! And the last place it gets packed down is the shoulder.

Pip, we have a mixed marriage--one hybrid bike and one touring bike. I feel like I am not so effective on the road but I like being able to steer off onto the grass and not fall down! And DH does well on the road but he is claiming that his shoulders hurt more than they used to with the touring bike position. We may need to have better matched bikes but who should get the different one? I would love to go on the pavement and the bike paths both, and most of our paths are not paved.

Michele, so glad the tumor is benign but sorry about the hearing loss. I am pretty sure my hearing is going going gone and it is really frustrating.

Welcome new people!

Betty ROC
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

Melanie, I know you have to feel good about such an epoch workout. Don’t we all wish we could do that every day! weight-lifting-machine-smiley-emoticon.gif exercise-bike-smiley-emoticon.gif

AnnC, the thing I did when I first started this journey was to check the food data base and look up all kinds of food that I like to see what the calorie content was. I was shocked with some things!! shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif Those I cut from my daily diet immediately. Then when I found the things with very low calories I remembered those and use them often. I am rarely hungry eating 1200 calories a day. I get lots of proteins and veggies. I also eat high fiber. Once you find the things that are lower in calories and add them to your diet it’s easy to stay on plan. The other thing I did was begin to plan ahead. I pretty much know what I’ll have on any day and most often log it before I eat it. Then it is easier to know where I am. You can do this. Good luck.

CarolGA, you are talking about Sylvia that has the ceramics studio and new Co-op and Terri from Milwaukee with the bowling family. It’s been ages but last we hear they were doing well but too busy for us. I really miss them both.

Janetr, I hope they get all of Jack’s skin cancer this time. That stuff is scary! Sending good thoughts, my friend. ((((Hugs)))) Enjoy your road trip! map-smiley-emoticon.gif travel-suitcase-smiley-emoticon.gif

Re, good girl for going to the gym even when you don’t want to. That’s the way to get it done!! weight-machine-smiley-emoticon.gif

Margaret, your flowers are beautiful. I just can’t believe you want to deny those sweet little bunnies the pleasure of a snack here and there. super-cute-bunny-waving-smiley-emoticon.gif

KarenE, congrats on making it through your plateau. Onward and upward.

Jackie, welcome. Please tell us about yourself and sign each post with the name you want to be called. A location is also helpful. The struggle is really not that hard of a question. “Do I want to continue looking this way [FAT] or do I want to look and feel better? We know what to do about it, it’s just a matter of when we finally decide the effort is worth the reward.

Glo, so glad that your DH is doing well. Will pray that it continues.

MicheleNC, so happy the doc doesn’t recommend surgery at this time. I know you are sorry to hear that the hearing problem can’t be fixed but you handle it all like a champ. ((((Hugs))))

Larisa, you are doing fantastic. You’ll get back to Onederland in time so just enjoy looking great.

Heather, mowing is still mainly a man’s job here in the US. It’s just the women with lazy husbands or the one’s that want to do it for exercise that we typically see pushing a mower. mowing-the-lawn-smiley-emoticon.gif (later) Congrats on your DS and DIL closing on their house. I know it is a relief for everyone concerned. Now they can move toward the next step.

Joyce, I was so excited to hear that the bag is still on but then read that Charlie is despondent. I’m really sorry to hear that. I hope it’s a short phase and he’ll be feeling better soon. I agree that the way it was before his surgery was no way to live. Hang in there. You are doing great and I know it’s not all easy!!!

CarolGA, I’ll bet your hair looks good if your DH likes it. You just aren’t used to it. Feel free to share a picture.

Tonia, welcome back. It does sound like a crazy and busy month for you. Glad you are back on track so just put one foot in front of the other.

Traci, glad you are having a relaxing vacation. Sometimes that’s what’s needed. sewing-smiley-emoticon.gif With DH and me being retired, I find we each enjoy some time to ourselves during the day. We enjoy each other’s company but you’ve heard about “too much of a good thing”. I get away to my little office and visit with you ladies and he goes to his and catches up on the in-depth news on the internet. sleeping-at-work.gif

Janetr, you are so right about going back to what we know. Why do we have to relearn the same lessons over and over? You’d think we’d know better but we must be human.

Betty, it sounds like you are really getting in the exercise. Have you not heard of baby steps? Just don’t overdo so that you don’t want to continue. I’m impressed!!!bike-riding-smiley-emoticon.gif

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I had a great time line dancing yesterday and lasted for 1 ½ hours. I had a board meeting for the HOA last night. OMG I don’t know why I put myself through that! It’s just so hard to want to do all the right things and be handtied by the funding. Oh well, I’m sure things will work out.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    DJ- Love reading your posts with all the Emoji's. I'm glad you had fun at the line dancing class. An hour and a half is quite the workout! Good for you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Heather - thanks, I need DJ to get out the boot I guess. But I'm going to do this.

Good job on passing up the alcohol. That's why I asked for accountability today, so I will think of you all when I try to put something in my mouth that's not supposed to be there :)

Janetr OKC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,
    Well company over the weekend, so a work day and 197 posts to read!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well at least I logged everyday! LOL

Barbie – hope Brandy’s leg/paw is better quick!

Joyce – I understand “tiny” houses are 500 or so square feet, and I am in 1013 and it feels tiny some days! But cleaning it is a 2 hour job – top to bottom and I love that!

Rori and Sue – great picture!!!!!!! I love seeing bigger pictures than our little profile pic… you get a better idea of what someone looks like. The place you are at looks great too.

Beth – I missed it but there were fireworks across the country to celebrate your birthday !!!!!!!!!!!! hope it was good!

Mary – that comic is Levi !

Mia – wow, sorry to hear of the complication, but glad you are well now and back with us.

Lisa - While the current picture is higher in weight than pic 2 or 3 – you look so content, so complete.

AnneC – Start will the realization that this a process, a new life style not a quick fix! You took 4-5 years to put it on it will take some time to get it off… Logging is where most of us started, truthfully completely with measuring (not eyeballing) all the food you eat and drink…and not randomly picking a calorie count, either letting MFP pick it or work with your dr. drink lots of water, and that should start you off.

Heather – glad the house exchanging and moving is working out!

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Janetr - We can do this! <3 I was especially proud of myself tonight because I wanted to celebrate DS 's house news and DH had a Pernod with the fish soup. It really helps me to put it down here in black and white. You can boast tomorrow that you did it! :flowerforyou:
    Heather
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Drum roll please.... Today I actually tried 5# Dumbbells and did a series of exercises for my arms! Woo hoo, proud of me. I am making myself not spend the whole week worrying and working at my sisters place. I walked through wonderful food markets to plan a delightful party for my brother and sisters to just celebrate being together.
    I am an anxious person and being around my family brings it out even more and my OS is the most (insert really stressed out emoji here) anxious person EVER so it is taking a lot out of me to hang out with her. Don't mean to sound like I am complaining, I offered the help and knew what it would mean but it is unbelievably challenging. I am saying this today and will try not to keep repeating this vent. On the plus side, I am not over eating in reaction and I am getting plenty of exercise. That is a monumentally different response to the family stressors.

Thanks for listening ladies! NYKAREN
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! I had forgotten how chatty everyone is. I'm up to page 12...

Margaret – I just read about the bug in your ear. That does not sound like fun at all. I’ve never thought about what to do if a bug goes into my ear. Now I have some pointers on things to try.

Mary from Minnesota – How lovely to see you are back. I missed you while you were off this board.

Charleen – very interesting about the hotel in Boulder made from tiny houses. I think it would be fun to stay there and check out tiny living. I am fascinated by the shows on tiny houses. I enjoy seeing all of the storage and space saving ideas but I don’t think I would really be able to go tiny. However, smaller than what we are currently living in is definitely something I want to do.

DJ Myrtle Beach, SC – I had a panniculectomy - removal of the lower abdomen skin. (The pannus is that “apron” of skin that can hang down and get rashes underneath it), abdominoplasty (sew the 2 muscles in the abdomen together and tighten the upper abdomen skin), liposuction on the thighs (saddle bags), thigh lift, thigh tightening, and butt lift. Very long surgery. Going in my doctor told me he had to limit what he was going to do because he didn’t like to do much more than 6 hours of surgery. I was in surgery for 8 ½ hours.

Interestingly enough, another woman in my bariatric support group also had a lower body lift about 2 weeks after I had mine. We had both heard this was the hardest of the plastic surgeries to recover from and that it would be a harder recovery than the gastric bypass. We have both found this recovery easier than the gastric bypass. My doctor was surprised when I said this to him. He said that is not the typical thing he hears. Guess it is just like everything else. Different people have different experiences.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather I will do just that and boast here tomorrow. It does help to have you all. Thanks. Now I'll also think, Hey, Heather passed when she wanted to celebrate :)

Janetr okc
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kabwe777 wrote: »
    You can call me Jan... That's my next step... To find a doctor (general). Whew. Im determined to get as healthy as I can.

Welcome, Jan. Like Peach said, I am another Georgia girl. So is Grits, but she is south of the gnat line, as they say.

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Happy July everyone! I have to admit skipping many pages.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I had a long post on my phone and lost it! Uhg!
    I'll post more when I get on my computer.