WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Becca - I love it when you are full of yourself. You make me smile. Going to donate blood today in your honor. You are one of my heroes. And I love all the quotes.

Tracie WI - Keep us posted about your sewing corner. I love projects like that. She cave and tiny house designs are both passions of mine, not that I have either.

Miriam - Your high school basement project sounds as if it was lovely. Amazing what you can do with some imagination on a low budget.

Joyce - Your closet sewing room project and subsequent projects sound pretty amazing, too!

Glad that darn bag is staying put, bet you don’t miss the smell of poop, huh?

AnnC - I would venture to guess most of us have disordered eating or we wouldn’t be here. Mine started at the age of 21 months after a bunch of toddlers in my home town got food poisoning at a picnic. I was the most seriously ill, in isolation in a hospital for 2 weeks on IV fluids and gut rest. Lost a lot of weight, almost didn’t make it. Parents allowed in only twice during that time. Of course I have no recall of any of this. Mom said I was a changed child after that, transformed from a “sassy picky eater” to a “good clean-up-your-plate kid”. Didn’t talk back, no terrible twos, very obedient. Ugh…she sat on the floor and cried the day I finally disobeyed her more than 2 years later at the age of 4, she was so happy. Can you imagine? I don’t remember a bit of this, but I know it started my relationship with food out on the wrong foot. My entire family is thin and eat normally. Sometimes I have to have a little chat with my scared hungry toddler, and remind her that the world is not going to run out of food.

Janetr - You are something, making yourself accountable by removing yourself to a line of sight to keep you accountable and out of the kitchen. I love you. Another of my heroes. And OK, I’ll bite - how did you do last night?

Heather - Awesome job on the cocktail!

I had one in your honor. LOL!!! Sorry, I rarely drink, but had such good news at my doctor’s office and was so relieved that I actually lost weight that I had a little celebration and had a Bloody Mary with Citron. I have to say it was delicious, but that will do it for me for a couple of weeks. I am a lightweight when it comes to alcohol.

Betty ROC - Whew! You burned off some calories! Are you sore? A few years ago, two of my friends started out on an ambitious bike ride and got too far from home, I think it actually scared them a little because they weren’t sure they were going to have enough energy to get home, but they made it!

Marcelyn - Enjoy Sea World with your daughter! Stay cool!

DJ - You are the Dancing Queen!!

Carol - Isn’t it the greatest when family pitches in on a painting project? Many hands…

Hope your trip to see your mom is a good one. I wish my mom was still alive, she was my best friend and I miss her so much.

Georgia Gals - the interesting talk about the gnat line reminds me of the “no-see-ums” in South Dakota. Mary do you have no-see-ums in Minnesota?

Lenora - I, for one, would love to see samples of your art (and that of the other artists on this thread)

Rosie - I do love mowing with my John Deere tractor but condo living without a lawn sounds very appealing, I have to admit…

What is this delivery meal plan with the overdone breakfast frittatas? Tell us more.

Re - I don’t know how you do it!! 10 hour days plus what you have to do at home! How far is your commute? Mine is about 10 minutes. I have some long days but then I have days off in a row. I used to work 60+ work weeks back in the day, glad I am not doing that anymore!

Pip - My two cents’ worth - I just think you should ride the amount you would normally ride and log whatever your ride on the charity website and not fret. You have already achieved a tremendous goal and earned money for a worthwhile cause, so it’s okay to go back to your life and not keep pushing when it’s no longer enjoyable. Besides, you have the next ride (is it for MS?) to gear up for, you don’t want to be blah! for that!!

Mary - 80 miles a month is more than 2.5 miles per day in snow & slush. You go, girl! And confession time: I am actually doing my first kettle bell workout today. I watched a very interesting video on hip displacement that I found educational, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5av05dIyrk&list=PLd84psG6Xq9uvzW1jsFew5utzv9jR_729&index=1

Barbie - you got inside the dogs’ heads and figured it out for Jake, pretty smart…sometimes I try to sneak in the door really quiet at night when I am working late so the dogs won’t go crazy. I think it makes them feel like they haven’t done their job when they wake up and see me standing there. They act a little sheepish. t0482.gif

Anne WI and others with no time to post: No worries. We all get too busy to post!

NYKaren - OMG that red snapper dish sounds phenomenal. Yum!!

LoLo - Hope today’s energy is better, yay for good bosses who know everyone has an off day.

Michele - Thanks for clarifying what tumor type, that is interesting…glad it is bearable but must be annoying to have lost the hearing in that ear.

LOL!! I had to go back and reread what video you downloaded, I thought you typed Glenn Miller.

Love the angel fish. t107017.gif

DebbieTX Congratulations on the weight loss! China…a long way away, have you applied for your passport yet so you can go visit?

Chris in MA - That is a seriously charming little story about your sweetie buying you dresses. Awwwwwww!!!

Katla - I love shag haircuts, too! Mine is short, about an inch long all over. I like no fuss haircuts. I guess mine must be like Joyce’s: the Baptist Choir Lady haircut LOL!

I saw my doctor yesterday. p12010.gif My slightly elevated BP is now normal because of losing weight. I am down 21lbs since April 14th, 8lbs since May 26. Weight yesterday was 205, so next time I see him I should definitely be in onederland. I am glad for the weight loss, but not feeling so great about my recent food choices. It is all about choices.

Today I really do start my kettle bell workouts, t31211.gif just a light beginner workout to start with to become comfortable with the techniques. Super excited about this, meant to do it yesterday but had other stuff get in the way. Also Jazzercise today, and will hold a plank for one minute two times today. Log every bite. And once it cools down this evening, take 2 of the dogs for a walk.

Speaking of the dogs, they are whining and pawing at me for breakfast, so I shall go.

Love all of you!

Karen in muggy Virginia
  • tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, Y'all!!

It's been humid here in MI the past couple of days, we need rain so bad!! Anyways, I hope y'all are doing awesome today! Remember, today is a new day and full of promises, we just have to make them happen!

I kinda mixed my exercise routine up a bit, yesterday. Instead of lap swimming 60 minutes, I started to walk on the cushioned track at the rec center and even ran a little bit. Then I worked on the machines concentrating on my legs and core muscles. Then I hit that pool for a very refreshing 30 minutes of lap swimming.

According to MFP, I didn't use up as many calories as I would if swimming for 60 minutes, but, I know I need to strengthen my leg muscles a bit more. While I was in my Tuff Stuff Class on Monday, we were doing some abductor exercises for the hips and my hip popped twice. It didn't really hurt, just more scared me than anything! So I asked a trainer and she gave me some new exercises I could do to get those muscles stronger to keep things in place.

I'm down 22 pounds now, mostly since May, which I am thrilled about. But, I do have to continue to work on that whole "patience" thing, lol. I even cleaned out my drawers and closet and got rid of two sizes that are just too big for me anymore!! WOOHOOO!! That felt so good!!

MFP is such a huge blessing to me! Just writing things down, weighing and measuring all my foods and exercising has totally changed my life. I think I will be a life time member, LOL

Anyways, I hope and pray y'all have a blessed day in every way imaginable!!

Love yas,

Mary
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa i love your front page! No wonder your publisher is pleased!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Karen - thanks for checking on me, I did it without a hitch. It didn't even seem to be that hard to do because I had already made the commitment to do it. I did tell Jack, if you see me go into th kitchen question me as to my intentions.

Have to get moving, Jack has the skin cancer procedure this morning. I think he's a bit worried although he would never admit it. His Dad died at 51 from a melanoma. This however, is not a melanoma.

Will keep you posted when we get home.

Janetr okc. <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    KarenVA- good video! I hope you have a great workout with the Kettlebell. Congratulations on the weight loss!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • kabwe777
    kabwe777 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Made it through day #1! Lol. I know that 3.2# loss is all water but it sure is good for the mental jump start.

GRITS: Thanks for the Gnat lesson. I always wondered why they weren't so bad up here near No. GA. I just remembered that I couldn't talk or smile while biking or I'd end up with gnats in my teeth when I got home.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lisa congrats on the paper!

Mary whatever lawn mower you use the sharper the blades the better. When you use a dull mower it shreds the grass leaving it more vulnerable to diseases. I have the same problem using a hedge clipper on my diva hedge. The hedge clipper shreds instead of making clean cuts.

Michele love the angel fish.

DJ unfortunately the rabbits have caused so much damage that has created three trips to the recycle center with a car load of dead branches from bushes they damaged this winter, lost all my peas, and flowering plants that were just about at their peak. Rabbits do not know how to share and to me are a pest like mice. I have a concrete statue of one I got from my mom and that is how I like them. Chicken wire seems to be the only thing that stops them. We have had too much rain for sprays and other deterrents to work. Sigh!

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

I like my hair short also, super short. Not a buzz cut, just short. My girls call it the Baptists choir lady hair cut.

Joyce, Indiana

:)Joyce, Jake likes his hair short and after going to every barber in town to get his hair cut and then complaining, he bought clippers and cuts it himself. When the barber was cutting it, I called the style "law enforcement"....now that he's cutting it himself and it's even shorter, I call it "Buddhist Monk".

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options

Today I really do start my kettle bell workouts, t31211.gif just a light beginner workout to start with to become comfortable with the techniques. Super excited about this, meant to do it yesterday but had other stuff get in the way. Also Jazzercise today, and will hold a plank for one minute two times today. Log every bite. And once it cools down this evening, take 2 of the dogs for a walk.

Karen in muggy Virginia

:)Karen, your workout plans sound great. That is how to get started. Just keep on keeping on and you'll be amazed at how the weight training will build up up how the time will grow on your plank. Jazzercise is so great. I did that for years (now I line dance). Exercise to music is so much fun.

<3 Barbie
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    DebbieTX, Congratulations! If I could do the animated emoji thing, it would be dancing in celebration with you! The exercise will come...

Barbie, right now you've got a full plate and a lot of stress, so please accept people's help and support and don't worry about responding to people individually. It's so clear from even my short time in this group that you've done so in the past. I'm in awe of how many people some of you keep track of!

Re, you're one of those people! Your posts are amazing.

Chris, what a lovely evening! Im not sure which part I liked better--the Porsche with the sunroof and Windows down, the dresses PB bought for you, or your kettle bell workout!! It all sounds great.

Michele, I'm sorry to hear about the tumor in your ear and the hearing loss, but so glad it's almost certainly benign. And I love the angel fish <3

My new goal: I work three days a week, and often I sit down at my desk and hardly move for 8-10 hours. I feel terrible after that. I need to figure out how to incorporate regular exercise and/or movement into those days. I'm fine on the other four days. I've got all kinds of ideas, I just need to find the strategy that works...
    Work is important, but not that important!

KarenE
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies!

Plan for the day: packing as we took yesterday off to attend to other things. Our last move (to Ohio) was a corporate move so all was packed for us. Previous to that I had packed for us with no problem. I am finding that my arthritis is really slowing down the process this time around. My hand grip is significantly less. So very glad the hubs is around this time to help out. I practically begged him not to start work before we were packed, moved and settled for a week so he was available to assist. Got our 3 movers quotes. Factoring in price, company reputation and gut feeling towards the person the company sent out we have made a choice. The hubs is trying to sell his 1997 Green Honda CRV to a nice retired gentleman down the street. Planning on shipping the 2012 Honda CRV and renting a van for the drive down as we MUST have room for my houseplants :) , the puppers and her small crate, suitcases and a tub or 2 of important papers. We have made 4 trips to Goodwill with the cars packed. We borrowed space in 2 of the neighbors garbage and recycle containers for pick-up yesterday. The hubs has nearly blown out his shredder as I finally convinced him there was not need to keep physical tax returns from the 90's anymore, every investment paper he ever received and cancelled checks! We have almost sold all we had listed on Craigslist and have contacted a local housing donation company for pick-up of the remaining items.

The hubs is breathing down my neck to get started for the day so off I go!

One last thing-our son called last night and told us he had spoken with his Adviser/Mentor (Chicago Deloitte) about relocating to Houston to be near parents and so has started the process! Later in the evening he got a personal phone call from a Partner in Deloitte letting him know that they were all behind him and would make it work! He has been there 2 years starting fresh from graduate school and has done quite well for himself. We are overjoyed!

Enough....

Thinking of you'all (practicing my Texan)! Have a great day!

Cheri
    in sweltering NE oHIo moving soon to more than sweltering TX in 4 weeks from today!
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Terri ~ So glad to hear from you. You sound very, very busy.

Cheri ~ Sounds like you have organized everything and hope your plans all come to fruition.

• Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! - just dropping in here - I need all the support I can get! - I keep falling off and it doesn't seem to matter to me. I have multiple personal problems going on and I'm using food as a comfort. I used to work out like crazy (with a trainer for 3 years) and I have lost my motivation. I have gained weight as a result - which adds on to all the crap on the old shoulders. I have given myself 1 year to lose 40-50 lbs. I don't know if that's realistic at my age but there you have it! - Any ideas, inspirations from any or all of you would be greatly appreciated! Hugs!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Cheri - just a quick lesson in how to speak Texan, and a couple of side notes, so you sound right when you get here. Firmly tongue-in-cheek, please note.
    • It's never you'all, it's y'all.
    • Note that the apostrophe comes after the y.
    • While the phrase is short for "you all," both words are only used in informal speech in the Deep South, where they apparently have more time, and have often apparently eaten a stick of butter before they speak.
    • Y'all is always plural, referring to at least two people. It is never, ever singular. People who use it in the singular are, almost without fail, Yankees.
    • The phrase "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" is not Texan, and only used by merchants when talking to tourists.
    • An aside: "How's your mominem?" is a polite question asked about your maternal parent and your extended family, not an inquiry about an illness or a bump on your arm. It's the slurring of "your mom and them."
    • Y'all is pronounced "yawl," not as if it rhymes with the way a Jersey person would say "squall."
    • There are a whole bunch of lost Yankees wandering around Texas A&M campus, so you'll be in good company.
    • "Howdy" in Texas does not mean "hello," it means "how do you do," so a greeting of "Howdy," will often be met with, "Doing OK, how 'bout you?"
    • It's breakfast, lunch and supper or dinner. Dinner never means lunch.
    • We are a friendly bunch, and extremely polite. Men still open doors for women, and women smile their thanks for them doing so. We will also drop everything to help another person.

I love my home state, can you tell?
    Love y'all! :wink:
    Lisa in West Texas
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Chris, this guy sounds like a keeper! He could give out lessons on how to treat women from what you tell us.

Pip, we got our bikes at least ten years ago. Hubby is what you could call thrifty--finally broke down and got a new tire last night to replace his almost bald one but would he get a new inner tube too? Heaven forbid-- he even boasted about how many patches his tubes could hold in the "old days".

I HAVE been burning off calories with my newfound determination but remember I said 67 minutes, not 67 miles LOL. If the weather keeps up I have till Saturday to get some more miles in--so far I have 30 miles this week. This is a short term self-motivation project I will reassess in a couple of weeks. Only sore when I am first off the bike after the ride. Today I feel good--except that I had trouble sleeping which is a bummer. Probably getting stressed about upcoming family events...

Michele, if you can't find a bike shop to sell Bryan's bike, there is always Craigslist or something similar. Also, some organizations take bicycles, even broken ones, and give them to needy people who need them for transportation. You should see if there is a bicycle touring group in your town that would have more ideas. We still have an extra bike in our garage too and wouldn't you know she mentioned trying to ride it again when she comes home? You never know what they are going to do, do you? I have only been holding on to it for potential parts as it is the same type as mine only taller.

Becca
    --"Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe its unbecoming everything that isn't you so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place". I love this! Must ponder this today. I could use some unbecoming.

I almost lost this post when I went back a couple of pages to re-read but I started hitting the back browser button and lo and behold I got back to the page where the post was still in the reply box--another idea to try if you think you lost your post...

Betty

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    morning peeps -

ketonekaren - that's exactly what I'm doing, I'm riding the way I normally ride (they automatically upload to the charity site except for the spin classes) and what comes up doesn't matter to me because I'm going by the ending stats at the end of the month.

I was in such a foul mood yesterday at work I was ready to punch someone if they looked at me wrong. I am better now, not gonna punch anyone.... yet.... :0)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Chris in MA – Every time DH drives me to Macon to have lunch w/friends from HS and I have my appointment with my MD; we go to Bass Pro Shop and I get to buy 1 or 2. This time I am probably going to buy a couple of pair of shorts … if they still have them out. Now, consistently in a size 12. Working to try to get to a size 10. I figure by the time I get to my BMI, I’ll be wearing a 1size 10. Means I have about 10lbs to do to get to my ‘goal’ and ‘BMI’ to show that I am in the ‘normal’ range, weight-wise.

Becca – Normally, I don’t cuss unless something happens (or won’t work) and it infuriates me! Then I swear (not like a sailor’s wife) … like a ‘sailor’ and ‘scream’ at the top of my lungs. Thankfully, we live pretty far away from neighbors and DOS is ‘employed’. No telling what my DDnL#1 would think if she heard me. LOL! Probably, like I was ‘going off the deep end’.
    So your DH finally got his ‘new’ liver? That’s great. I don’t remember reading that … last time I saw something you were talking about meeting w/people about the transplant … or maybe he had had it and you were ‘still’ checking with people about it.

Katla – I was within my CI yesterday … until I ate some cheese; I wasn’t wanting to ‘log’ it; but, this AM I went back and did it anyway. Today, if I stay on plan, I will be under my CI; then, I will get my exercise in if I go get in pool early enough – before the afternoon ‘thunder bummers’ start. We got totally ‘missed’ again … we can sit on our back deck (covered) and watch the storms headed this way; and, then it will part – ½ going towards Shellman; the other ½ headed for Americus. Storm must have hit between the time DDnL#1 left to go grocery shopping in Americus and coming home … Highways were blocked (both of them, and another country road down from our road. She got stopped to find out where she was going and she told him the name of the road; but, she had to go down the other road; but, it had not hit us. She said it looked like, maybe, a tornado came through; we got high winds but nothing falling out of the trees.

Joyce – Wal-Mart should have that double fusing tape you are looking for. Next time someone goes to town and lets me ride with them; I need to buy some Velcro to hold my liners to my outdoor furniture to the chairs. I ended up making liners to go on the back and seat, so that the cushions I paid a ‘small fortune’ on, would get torn up by the springs holding the seat. It’s an old-fashioned group, that I asked DH to go ‘look at’; and, he bought them for me and painted them. The only thing I need to try to find are the little tips that go on the feet and see if I can find something that will fused together to hold one of the arm’s curved part of the arm to the straight piece. Set consists of a settee, one chair, one rocker, one swivel rocker and a footstool and I have it on my glassed-in porch. I saw a lounge chair; but, DH would not buy it. Boo Hooo! I also have a baker’s rack out there and my Pop’s wooden rocking chair that he’d dig his fingernail into the arm as a ‘nervous’ tic. Can’t wait until the carpenter comes and puts in the ‘damn door’. He keeps telling DH that he has one and will come put it in. DH fusses if he comes home and I have the French Doors from the MBR opened. Says not to do it until the door is up. We now have plastic covering the screened door. Next is to insulate its walls and put up some bead board and get him to build some shelves, then I can move my collection of flamingos and my ‘art’ books out there, We haven’t decided what to do to the floor. It is 16’ x 18’ approximately. Paint it, cover it with linoleum, or hardwood. It might be a little bigger that that.

I used to ride a touring bike 10 miles a day, right after work, with boss. He decided one day that we'd try to go to Leesburg 25 miles away. First time I think I made it 20 miles on the way up; but, we ended up calling his wife to come get us. The next time we made it to Leesburg; again, she came to pick us up. It's about 25 miles from Albany to Leesburg; he'd meet me 1/2 way between his house and mine and then we'd set out. On our way up we'd stop and get into the Creek to cool down; and on our way home we'd stop again. Had a flat stomach and great legs; but we live a mile a down a dirt road, so it has been sitting up, not being used. From the time I started riding until I quite about 18 years ago ... never worried about my weight ... so that is my 'goal weight'. I'm not sure my abs will ever be totally flat; but, nurse/MD says that will be the very last place I will lose and I will have to continue to exercise. Track my food and exercise.

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    oceanmelody - uh I think there's your problem. if he got his bike 10 years ago and got fitted for that bike back then??? he's probably riding the wrong size bike and being fitted for a bike now isn't the same as being fitted for a bike 10 years ago.

when I 1st started riding again back in '97, we went to buy me a bike and I "got fitted" for one and as long as when I was standing while straddling the bike and my privates didn't touch the bar, that was it. come to find out years later, when it was time to get me a new bike, the guy said, do you have any back or shoulder problems? I said no, why.. he said this bike is for someone that about 5'11" (I'm 5'5").