• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Cheri (((Hug))) Silly owner.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Cheri - just a quick lesson in how to speak Texan, and a couple of side notes, so you sound right when you get here. Firmly tongue-in-cheek, please note.
    • It's never you'all, it's y'all.
    • Note that the apostrophe comes after the y.
    • While the phrase is short for "you all," both words are only used in informal speech in the Deep South, where they apparently have more time, and have often apparently eaten a stick of butter before they speak.
    • Y'all is always plural, referring to at least two people. It is never, ever singular. People who use it in the singular are, almost without fail, Yankees.
    • The phrase "Y'all come back now, y'hear?" is not Texan, and only used by merchants when talking to tourists.
    • An aside: "How's your mominem?" is a polite question asked about your maternal parent and your extended family, not an inquiry about an illness or a bump on your arm. It's the slurring of "your mom and them."
    • Y'all is pronounced "yawl," not as if it rhymes with the way a Jersey person would say "squall."
    • There are a whole bunch of lost Yankees wandering around Texas A&M campus, so you'll be in good company.
    • "Howdy" in Texas does not mean "hello," it means "how do you do," so a greeting of "Howdy," will often be met with, "Doing OK, how 'bout you?"
    • It's breakfast, lunch and supper or dinner. Dinner never means lunch.
    • We are a friendly bunch, and extremely polite. Men still open doors for women, and women smile their thanks for them doing so. We will also drop everything to help another person.

I love my home state, can you tell?
    Love y'all! :wink:
    Lisa in West Texas

Awe Lisa thanks so much! I'm thinking we need all the help we can get. Should be interesting how my husband's New York accent will go with this. LOL

Cheri
    Still packing....
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Cheri, hugs to you. Glad you have a great realtor.

Karen in Virginia, we have Bipolar type 2 rampant in my family as well. It is part of the reason I am now disabled after working until over 50. It is part of the reason my 32 year old son is disabled (plus sleep issues, PTSD, Social phobia, OCD and some autistic traits). My great grandmother committed suicide, but no one besides me has figured this out (she was buried under an assumed name- holy ground no suicides hence the assumed name so no one knew that it was a suicide there). I attempted four times, two of three sons have attempted at least once. I just adopted my sister's granddaughters because of their dad's bipolar disorder/ alcohol and meth abuse and their mom's depression/ meth abuse leading to neglect. There are some others here with similar situations, so this is a good group to be in!
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cheri - I seem to recall Clint Eastwood had 'Trouble with the Curve' ball as well. It will work out for the better, believe!

Charleen in Colorado (Staying inside to dodge the heat)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Cheri - Bah, bah, bah!!!!! The world is full of nitwits. :'( But the next house will be even better. :D ((((HUGS))))

I had a bit of a cheese orgy this evening. Over now. Like Janetr I tend to do it when DH is out of sight/hearing, like a naughty schoolgirl playing hooky. He is upstairs watching football. I just like being "naughty" I guess, but I am only hurting myself.

OK. Move on.

Love Heather
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Pip - you must have long legs if you are only 5'5" and you could straddle the bike without hitting your private parts. Are you saying that this bike did not fit you? I can't remember how I got fitted; but, I do remember someone 'holding the bike while I stood up on one peddle' ... had something to do with being able to reach the extended peddle while sitting on the seat and still have my back straight'. I have not ridden my bike in over 15 years (since about the time we moved out here) anywhere; but, it is the 'best' overall exercise. Was at my best weight and shape when I rode a bike every day. We live on a dirt road ... so tires are way too skinny to use it. I got just a cheap wide tired Wal-Mart bike one year after we moved out here; the first day I rode it I stood up and started 'pumping' the peddles and ended up falling over the handlebars. Every bolt on it had been put on by a 'power wrench' and all were 'stripped'. I took it back to Wal-Mart and told them that 'if had to have been put together by using a power wrench' and wanted a 'new' bike that had been put together by hand (or my $$$ back).

Lisa and Cheri - Y'all is a word that Southerners use for 'you all' ... plural; sometimes "all y'all" if you want to make sure that 'everybody' knows they are included. "No, Lisa, it is 'Honey' dripping from our mouths." We have the same number of hours in our day; but, we just don't get in a rush. Texans have a 'drawl' that is a bit different than a "Southern" (Georgian) drawl. And everybody has some sort of 'accent' or 'dialect' that is instantly noticeable to people who have lived in the area for most of their lives. I agree that it is 'breakfast, lunch, and (usually) supper; Dinner is the middle of the day meal on Sundays. Dinner is a more formal way to refer to as 'supper'. Supper is usually used for children or an informal meal at night. Dinner is also "when you go 'out to eat' at night." Most places that have 'double doors' have the right one opening 'out' and the left one opening 'in'. Usually a man will hold the door open (on the right); but, 'if' you get to the left door and he still is holding it open after his date has exited; then you break with tradition and say 'thank you' to him. If he continues holding it open, your date would also walk in and say 'thanks'. It comes from a tradition of restaurants having an 'in' and an 'out' door to the kitchen so they don't have accidents with waiter/waitressed bumping into one another. I was taught to say 'yes m 'ham/sir'; 'no m 'ham/sir; please and thank you to 'any' adult that is older than I am. Pronounce 'mam' ... the 'h is 'silent'. You don't chew chewing gum or tobacco and talk at the same time. Hide it in your cheek if you have to.

My Mother was a HS English Lit/Grammar teacher and said y'all when she was a 'child' because most everybody said it; Mimi tried to stop her by saying a 'yawl' is a small fishing boat. She was a stickler for 'you', 'your', you're'; I used to drive her 'nuts' about 'good', 'better', 'best' ... I wanted to know why it wasn't 'good', 'best', 'better' (thinking about numbers being infinite); I'd ask her "if someone does their 'best'; then, why can't they try harder and to 'better'?" She almost pulled her hair out. "Because it just ISN'T." She'd correct our grammar in front of people; telling us that 'if' her 'own children could not speak using "proper" English grammar, how would that make her look'. I think she'd use the term 'reflect'. We all understood that. When my DGDs were younger, I'd correct them, too. My grandchildren will use the term 'done' when it really should be 'finished'. I'd tell them they're only 'done' if they are a steak, so bring me that knife and fork over here so I can check you out. They've gotten much better. My DOGD just 'cringes' when someone uses the wrong tense of a word when talking or writing. My Mother had to give up her teaching job because she broke several bones in her neck and had to wear a neck brace 24/7 that held her head at a 45° angle. She tried going back to her job; but, it was just too much of a strain. My Daddy had been looking for a secretary for his law office; and, he gave the girl 3 words to use in a sentence. "Sight", "site". and "cite" and she missed them all. He did not 'hire' her obviously; and, when he showed it to my Mother, he told her that he 'needed for her to be HIS secretary'; so that nothing like that letter would ever go out if he was not in the office.

When I worked as a paralegal in a 'law firm' - I was totally intimidated by the 'big' boss's secretary; who would call me into her office by shouting at me through the opened doors of her boss's office. When he was 'in town' he'd open her door and the one to my office (God's only knows why). It probably was to get to the Investigator's office without having to walk through her office and down the hall. I sat in a 'hole in the wall' - no windows; but, 3 doors to his office, the Investigator's office, and across the hall to my boss's office. He called me in his office; I just knew I was going to be 'fired' as she had called me into her office to 'chastise' me about 'something' minor. I walked into his office, he turned around and pulled out the carbon copy of a letter she had sent out, with his signature on it ... There were at least 7 errors in this one sentence letter; and, then he called her in and asked her 'how she could have sent it out looking like that'? Her face turned about beet red. He then told me that she was NOT my boss; RLH was, and the next time she called me to come to her office ... I was welcomed to walk through his, if he did not have a 'client' with him. Of course, as soon as he had a client walk in, I closed my door anyway. Did not like to keep it open 'if' he wasn't there because I did not like her coming up from behind me. She finally back talked him one time too many and got 'fired'. This time ... for real. Sometimes he would get mad at her for 'acting' like she was on his level and he'd tell her 'just go home' and 'think about it'. She'd stay away about 3 days and then walk back in on the 4th day acting as if nothing had ever been said. When he moved to Atlanta to stay at his office there, she would not move. Why not, don't know ... she was single (divorced), had no children, but had a 'girlfriend' who would not move - she was the office manager of the office she worked in. When the 2 partners left with one of their secretaries; my boss and another one in the office formed their own firm. We had a great time together - everybody got along and the working conditions were nice. I 'literally' lucked up getting this job with this law firm. And they paid about $100 a week more than any other law firm in town. But, you worked your tail off for it.

P.S. - I can 'still' write some of the 'longest' run-on sentences. Sometimes I go back and correct my stuff, sometimes I don't. "Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't."

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    B)
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    heather I can relate to overdoing it with cheese! I had a feast of beautiful cheeses last nite (okay and a little more today). Manchego, Stilton, herbed chèvre. I was in heaven. But that is it, no more. But I will enjoy the Red snapper leftovers this evening
    A little bit of cheese every now and then as long as you log it and walk it off right? ;) NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA ~ Yes, it's Kirkland's 100% Columbian coffee. We use half caffeinated and half decaf. Also got their Panko Breaded Shrimp. Love it!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    good afternoon ladies~
    I have quite the dilemma going now..
    as you might remember my aunt passed away on the 2nd of this month after a long battle with COPD, well they are waiting a couple of weeks for service and guess when they are having it? The day of my brother and SIL wedding on the 17th... well of course that throws a wrench into the monkey works. as non of us will be able to go.. I will tell my dad about it, but he will opt for the wedding instead, and I know June wouldn't want us changing all they have planned to go to the memorial.. she knew how much we loved her, and dad got to visit her a couple of weeks before she passed..
    And then I get a call from Portland Care and Rehab.. which my DFIL has been on the waiting list for 2 yrs ,and there could be a bed for him there.. now that would be wonderful as it is about 2 blocks from our house , the facility is cleaner and more up to date, and is better staffed.. and Doug and Iris(Toms older brother and SIL) are his POA and gave us permission to move if we wanted to.. so Tom lays this all on me, if you thinks its best for him move him.. so this is on my shoulder's geesh..it is very hard for a dementia patient to adjust, and that I am worried about... but I also want him getting the quality care that he deserves.. the immediate people that work with FIL are wonderful.. it is the owners I have issues with, they dont treat there staff or residents with as much care as for themselves.... inferior cheap foods, alot of staff changes...
    so I have alot on my mind, and when I stress I eat.... grrrrrr
    tomorrow is another day.. will hear back probably tomorrow about the nursing home. and will speak with someone down at Cobalt about our decision
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.
    Wickglamgirl and Susan: Welcome! I found that logging my food has been the most helpful in keeping to my eating plan. Read posts and ask for help. The women here have great suggestions.
    Cheri: Sorry about the rental change. But welcome to TX!
    Janetr: Glad your husband's surgery went well. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
    Grandmaillie: Praying for you to be able to make a decision without being too stressed.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Have passports but will not be going to China this year. She is teaching at a university and will be home for a visit next summer. May go later depending on her future job decisions.
    DebbieTX
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Miriam That is some family and personal history you've got there! Ugh. I just have to say that suicide is something that is extremely difficult for the survivors. Not that you ever really get over the death of a loved one, but suicide just warps the whole grieving process...sorry you have had such a time of it...and I empathize.

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Cheri and Lisa - I put my 2¢ in just because some things are just not the same from state-to-state. I did not want Lisa to think that I was 'correcting' her. Admittedly, you don't really 'hear' yourself talking. I don't hear my 'accent' until I leave a 'message on the phone for my husband and I listen to it from the outside in; and, not from the inside out. Tone - has a lot to do with things. Said or written.

As for the person asking about 'no see 'ems' ... they're usually at the beach down here in Georgia and Florida. Be careful about laying around, unprotected by a blanket, in the grass; we do have 'chiggers' ... make bites all over and itch like crazy. An Epsom Salts bath will give you relief. We always keep it on hand. It is also good to mix with water to water your plants, so they'll 'green up'.

Have someone do a 'body check' after your shower if you have been 'out in the woods' or in 'tall grass' ... for TICKS! Pulling them 'off' does not necessary pull their pinchers out; Vaseline on them will usually suffocate them and they'll let go and die. If they are full of blood, they can be messy. Some people light a match, blow it out and then put it to their butts. Personally, I don't like dealing with TICKS because when you count their pinchers, they have 8 extensions from their bodies and that makes me think of spiders. I have a 'serious case' of Arachnophobia. I'll break my neck trying to get away from a spider. If I walk into a spider web ... I will do the Arachnophobia Acrobat Dance with screaming as sound effects. In 3rd grade, our teacher told us NOT to get 'out of our desks' for any reason. While I watched a spider drop down on my desk and bite me; I stood up in the chair of my desk and screamed 'Bloody Mary' ... she came over and slapped me so hard that I fell over the desk in front of me. I got sent to the Principal's office and then spent the morning standing 'out in the hall'. I hated this particular teacher ... I did NOT get 'out of my desk' ... I 'stood in the chair'; feet never hit the ground, so technically, I didn't. She retired that year on a 'mental disability'. I think she had 'early onset Alzheimer's'.

But, we live in a Cypress siding house and have spider webs all over the place. As long as they stay 'unseen' that doesn't bother me quite as much; but, DH will pressure wash the house down a couple of times a year. Bug man tells me there really isn't a way to spray to kill spiders because they 'walk on pads'. Learn something 'new' every day.

Lenora
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia, after I started working in mental health, I realized the effect that suicide has on the families left behind. That was when I decided it was no longer an option. And when I chose to have children, I renewed that commitment. I have sometimes had a hard time reminding myself of that, but it has kept me here! Sometimes I use it like a mantra when I am having a really hard time, "Suicide is not an option. I made a commitment to my kids not to do that to them. Suicide is not an option."
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Lovely Ladies;

Alas, I was just given a delightful project that will take the remainder of my day and beyond, so, I haven't the time to reply to all of you...

I can't recall who asked, but it's about 45 minutes commute to my job - longer if there is traffic. It used to be 30 minutes door to desk, but they closed down that office and moved us... *huff*

One more oddity about Texas for Cheri - when I first moved to the Dallas Metroplex - It freaked me out a little. People would greet you with "Are you doing all right?"

Well, I would be checking myself in the mirror to make sure I wasn't flushed or anything - cause to me, that was the equivalent to asking "All you OK?" indicating that perhaps I didn't look well - but no.

It's just a Texas greeting equivalent to "How are you doing?" So, don't worry if someone asks you "Are you doing all right?" You look fine - they are just saying hello. Sorry about the old place - but, betcha the new place will be better... and hey, cheaper, too!

Well, I was trying to get to 100 crunches today - but that 4th set was haaaarrrrd - so I stopped at 80. Maybe tomorrow... but, I did my 35 minutes on the elliptical and was a giant sweat ball when I finished.

I was remembering back to the bad old days, when I didn't sweat. My body must have been clinging to everything back then - cause even when I got up and shuffled around, I really didn't sweat - never - not at all. At 367 lbs, that was just downright unnatural.

Now, whenever I move around even a little bit, I am glistening and when my DH reached over to pat my leg on the way home from the gym this morning, he commented on the sweat in my leggings. Sweat is good... messy, but good. Sweat is the courier to take that nasty fat out of my body... I have learned to love sweat. Unlike the icky loose skin, it just washes away... lol.

Hugs to everyone that needs one.

Keep Logging... Keep Moving... Keep Living.

Re in TX

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Here it is the 7th of the month already. Time is just flying by. We had a great time on our trip. DGC did really well with being in the van for hours at a time. Had some problems with DD and not sure what is going to happen there. She is really a step daughter to both of us and DH was married to her mom and had two children and we have always accepted Dawn, but never spent alot of time with her. Boy! has the last couple months been an eye opener. Doing alot of praying about it.
    Went to the doctor yesterday and got my stitches out and looks like it is healing well and the report came back they got it all. So can relax about that.
    Sorry I have not had time to read and catch up, first day back at work and what a mess. One day at a time.
    Blessings to each of you beautiful ladies. Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Heather, big hug. That's exactly what I told Jack last night. My body knows what I'm doing to it even if no one else is aware of what I stuff in it. Ugh

Janetr okc
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    OOOooo, I just saw a recipe that sounds and looks good (unfortunately the calories are done in grams and I don't remember how to do them in ounces).

Fried Smashed Potatoes
    Makes 12 servings
    Ingredients:
    12 - Small red potatoes (1 1/2 - 2" in diameter) [about 1 1/2 - 2lbs]
    1 - Teaspoon salt
    1/4 - Cup olive oil
    3/4 - Teaspoon salt
    1/2 - Teaspoon pepper
    3/4 - Cup, fresh ground Parmesan Cheese
    2 - Tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
    Directions:
    1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with at least 1 inch of water. Add the 1 teaspoon salt to water. Bring to boing; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender; drain potatoes.
    2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Transfer potatoes to a foil-lined 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Cool for 10 minutes. Using a potato masher or the palm of your hand (be careful not to burn your hand), lightly press down on each potato to smash to about 1/2 inch thickness, keeping each potato in one piece.
    3. Using half of the olive oil, brush on potatoes. Sprinkle half of the salt and pepper on potatoes. Bakke, uncovered for 10 to 15 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned and crisp. Turn potatoes; brush with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until potatoes are lightly browned and crisp. In a bowl combine cheese and parsley. Sprinkle on potatoes. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
    Make-Ahead Directions:
    Scrub potatoes; set aside overnight. Combine the grated cheese and parsley in an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed.

Might be a lot higher in calories than I think it would be; but, it sounded 'different'. One small red potato; how many calories can that be. I don't think I would even use that much olive oil to brush on either side of the potatoes. So, really the only thing that would 'add' calories would be the Parmesan Cheese and that seems like a lot of cheese for 12 potatoes.

I think I am going to ask DH if he'll stop somewhere tomorrow on his way home and pick up a couple of hamburger patties or something.

Lenora
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Vicki Grand Island - Doing a happy dance about your arm! t3430.gif Glad you had a good time on your trip.

Re - It was me that commented on your long days and commute, although someone else may have as well. I love that your husband pats your leg when you are sweaty. t4717.gif

Miriam - So glad suicide is no longer an option for you...but I am sad that it crosses your mind. :'(<3

Heather - I think I would like to try a Pernod. t0312.gif

Karen in hot & humid Virginia t108005.gif
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    [quote="grandmallie;37026030"
    I have to tell you I have not well at all, I am almost as big as I was when I started MFP and am so ,I have to get my tail back in the swing of things, I saw pictures of me at the wedding and I look like a house..
    gonna start with food and then get back into exercise again..[/quote]

Allison, I'll help encourage you! Just use you Fitbit and join the challenges I start. I invited my sister and now have 3 other people really challenging me!

Rita from CT