WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: My women friends are important to me, too. I'm sorry that your best female friends are away. I have a friend with heath issues. When she is feeling good we go on walks and I really enjoy them, but she hasn't been feeling that good lately. Tomorrow I'm meeting two dear friends for breakfast in Portland. One has moved to New York City and we see her every couple of years. The other lives in Portland. I'm looking forward to the visit and wonder whether any of our other friends will be there. :smiley:

Lisa: Your front page looks great. I'd want to read that paper, without doubt. Working in the heat without shade would likely send me to the hospital. I hope your DH has lots of access to cool water. :heart: Thanks for the lesson in speaking Texan. :bigsmile:

Janetr: I hope your DH's skin cancer procedure is a total success. (((HUGS)))

Margaret: I'm sorry about the rabbit damage. :grumble:

Terri in Milwaukee: It is so good to see your post! I looked up methotrexate and it looks like serious stuff. I hope it works for you. :flowerforyou:

Cheri: It sounds like things are heading in excellent directions for you and for your son. Yay! I am not sure how you'll stand the wait before you can actually move! I suspect there will be a lot to do. DH & I have been married well over 40 years and have only moved 4 times, all of them within the same state. What an adventure you have ahead of you! :bigsmile:

Glamgirl: Welcome to a great group of supportive women. Some of us have been here for several years for the moral support and help staying focused on good health. I lost more than 50 pounds and it took a couple of years. I'm still here because this needs to be a lifestyle change and I need the support. Quick fixes turn into yoyo dieting, and that is not healthy or successful for the long term. I hope you'll stay a while and get to know us. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Sorry about your foul mood yesterday. I hope this is a better day. (((HUGS)))

My dog is right behind me in the office, and spent the night sleeping at my side. I think he's not quite over the fireworks and needs emotional support. We bought him a nice dog bed several years ago and he almost never used it. I put it beside my side of the bed and he's been there at night ever since.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

July Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Terri - so glad you popped in! Life does get busy especially with children in sports. Even as grandparents we commit Monday and Wednesday evenings to watching our grandson play baseball now! I hope your RA gets better and your medicine doesn't hurt your eating habits. Nice to hear from you!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Jack's surgery took just a little over two hours. Doc said he was sure he got it all and it looked good. He did have to graft some skin to cover it tho so he has lots of stitches in it and a big huge bandage. It was just into the hairline behind his left ear. He can't take the bandage off for 48 hours. He called in scripts for antibiotic cream and oral antibiotic. He goes back the 15th to have stitches removed.

Glad its over and done with.

Janetr okc
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    Options
    Janetr- i'm glad that everything went well with Jack. (((hugs)))

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Janetr - (((((HUGS))))) <3

Well folks, I got all my new online registration details from the surgery, entered them all and then when I went to the prescription ordering section just to check out it worked it said I have to apply for access from the practice. Double Grrrrrrrrrr!
    I told the woman behind the desk that I wanted to be registered for that particular reason, so what the #×+÷. ?!?!?!?!?!?!
    It's not as if I'm asking for morphine- I only want to be able to get my blood pressure pills. I did put in my next order manually on a bit of paper in the box, but I prefer to do it online to save me a ten mile round trip just to post the request. I still have to go and pick them up a week later.
    I also need their permission for access to my medical records. Which is part of the point of registering in the first place.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have an appointment for BP and kidney function blood test. So will pick up my pills then.

Talk about a ridiculous system. :sad:

The painters have gone home and all the doors are still open and the upstairs windows. They are painting the downstairs windows tomorrow. My cleaner did what she could in the chaos. :ohwell: Next door decided to strim all afternoon, so it was lovely and quiet in the countryside as usual. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Chunky breaded cod tonight with tsatsiki and asparagus. Approx 370 cals. I will have a Pernod. :ohwell:

Now someone has started a bonfire. Save me from the human race.

Love Heather
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Janet ~ So glad the surgery is over for your DH.

Heather ~ That is why so many Americans do not like the health care system that is being thrust down on us. I am so lucky that as a retired teacher, I get to my insurance through the State and it is reasonable.

I feel so tired today! Got up at 4:50 to see the DH off to do his monthly antique show. 4 c's of coffee and still sluggish. Have to go to Costco to get their brand of coffee that we like.

Carol
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Wow! Took me about an hour to get through the posts just from yesterday! What an interesting group of women. Love it.

Janet OKC: Love your ideas for changing your evening habits. I've been struggling with this myself.

KetoneKaren: I LOVE that idea for a sewing nook! Thanks for sharing that picture with me. What a great idea. I showed it to my husband and am thinking about maybe checking out some of our thrift shops for a cupboard or old armoire like that. you got my wheels turning now... I also love anything to do with She Sheds, She Caves or Tiny Houses. I'll let you know how far I get today. That's my plan for this afternoon. To at least decide what I'm going to do and clear a space. :)

Miriam: Thanks for sharing about how you fixed up your basement. It sounds cozy and sounds so "doable"! Our basement has one wall of dark paneling and painted cement for the other 3 walls. We haven't redone that basement yet. My husband is currently redoing our upstairs. We've lived here for a little over a year. We downsized and it is a struggle to find room for our things and furniture and are taking it one room at a time. Our basement is dark, with very little natural light. I think a nice rug and something light and cheerful on our walls would make a huge difference. I really need to paint the walls something lighter than the old 60's green color and lighten up the dark paneling. You have given me good ideas also. Eventually I want the one half of the basement to have my sewing area on one end, with the treadmill and Wii Fit stuff on the other end. Maybe I should stop talkiing about it and begin DOING it! Right? :)

DJ: Thanks for the encouragment. It's good to know that retirement doesn't have to be too much of a good thing and that we will find our groove. I'm impressed with your line dancing for 90 minutes! I get a sideache walking to the mailbox! *smile* (okay, slight exageration...)

NYKaren: I am also looking to begin using dumbbells to tone my arms and back. How long did you go for? Did you do any certain number of reps or how did you start out with them? It's my goal this week to incorporate them into my daily routine but I don't have a clue where to begin. I also wanted to let you know that I know how it feels to be an anxious person and how certain people really ring that feeling out in me. Very uncomfortable. Hang in there, girl!

Lenora: Your tip to use the word processing app is a good one. I felt like hitting my forehead and saying "duh" when I read it! I'm sorry to hear about your DDnL#2's niece losing the baby. I cannot imagine the feelings and emotions she is going through. I hope she can find peace someday.

Joyce, Indiana: Your sewing room is so clever! I would never have thought of that. You are very clever with your resources. I'm getting so many great ideas from all of you!

KarenE: If you come up with something that works for you as far as fitting in exercise when you are at a desk sitting all day, please share! I struggle with that too. Good luck!

Terri in Milwaukee: So nice to hear from you! Sorry you are so busy. I've been training colleagues all over for months now also, and was "off the grid" too. Exhausting!

Today, I plan to clear a spot in my basement and take my hubby with me shopping for paint, a room-sized throw rug or carpet and begin setting up my She Cave/Sewing Nook. thank you for sharing so many great ideas! I think even brightening up the space with light colored paint will help. I'm excited to start!
    Not doing real well staying away from the crap food this week. My husband and i have been going out to eat every night this week while I'm on vacation. I'm embarrassed to say I have not been making wise choices either. But today is a new day and I plan to focus on eating more vegetables and whole foods. I'm throwing a roast in the crockpot and trying to stay away from the deep fried cheese curds which seem to beckon to me every time we go out! UGH.

I'll check in later and will try to take pics of before and after with the She Cave progress.

Love to all. <3

Tracie in Green Bay

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tracie - When we had an unattractive dining space we bought a gorgeous large picture/mural of a beach with lovely waves. You could do something like that to feel less claustrophobic. Many are available on line. Whatever turns you on, like mountains, or trees. <3
    Good luck with your project. What fun! I love the cupboard someone posted. Karen?

Heather in England, who are about to have a female Prime Minister, whatever the vote is.
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Tracie: Thanks, it did work last night and it surprised me because I really didn't even have the horrible craving and urge to go eat that I normally do. I do believe its all in the mind set and I had made the commitment NOT to snack.

Below is a sight I found on line for beginning dumbbbell strength training for seniors. Lots of good information. I use it three days a week. I started out as they suggest but have now added reps and weight. I started at the end of February. Wow what a difference it has made in my muscle tone, strength and endurance.
    https://www.verywell.com/dumbbell-strength-training-for-seniors-3498669

Thanks ladies for the kind thots for Jack, he took a pain pill so he is sleeping. They knock him out for several hours. He too hates taking them, its a man thing I guess.

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Susan - Welcome, we are so glad you are here and sounds as if you made some good decisions to get started on this new healthy life journey. I'm from Denver originally but I now live in Oklahoma. My oldest daughter and several sisters and many extended family members live in the Denver area.

You have found a terrific group of encouraging, supportive women here. If you have any questions or just need a shoulder and/or ear, we're here.

Janetr OKC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! - just dropping in here - I need all the support I can get! - I keep falling off and it doesn't seem to matter to me. I have multiple personal problems going on and I'm using food as a comfort. I used to work out like crazy (with a trainer for 3 years) and I have lost my motivation. I have gained weight as a result - which adds on to all the crap on the old shoulders. I have given myself 1 year to lose 40-50 lbs. I don't know if that's realistic at my age but there you have it! - Any ideas, inspirations from any or all of you would be greatly appreciated! Hugs!

I started here at age 62 and lost over 50 pounds. I started by doing one day at a time --logging food ahead of time and staying with the plan no matter what ---then I did it again the next day. I read this thread and got more good ideas

:) Barbie from NW Washington
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    tracie I just did one set of reps, the usual things like bicep curl , shoulder press and the row. But Janet's link is what I really want to check out. Thanks for thatjanet I have to go very easy or the bursitis will kick in and I can't deal with that. After I try the link I will let you know how it goes, slow and steady for me, if it is too much I might switch to the toning bands. Let's check in with each other. I don't think it will be too intimidating. NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Jack's surgery took just a little over two hours. Doc said he was sure he got it all and it looked good. He did have to graft some skin to cover it tho so he has lots of stitches in it and a big huge bandage. It was just into the hairline behind his left ear. He can't take the bandage off for 48 hours. He called in scripts for antibiotic cream and oral antibiotic. He goes back the 15th to have stitches removed.

Glad its over and done with.

Janetr okc

Yippee :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Saw my PCP nurse practitioner today because when I saw her last Thursday I forgot to mention my back and leg pain. So had to pay $35 more for her to examine me. She ordered xrays of lumbar spine and pelvis. I have the report back of the lumbar spine but not the pelvis yet. Two views of the lumbar spine were obtained.

There is severe degenerative loss of disc space height at L5-S1. There is mild
    loss of disc space height at L3-4 and L4-5.

There is severe facet arthropathy at L4-5 and L5-S1 bilaterally.
    I guess that explains part of the pain.

The rain came down with winds about 60 MPH earlier. We survived. When I saw it I turned on an old movie on the DVR. I figured the Directv would be out. The movie is kind of hoaky and I'm about to give up on it. An old Fred Astaire movie Finian's rainbow.

Joyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @susantylerbrown29 Hi, Susan! Be sure to click on the pale star on the right upper corner above the top post on this page so you can find us again. Personal Disclosure Alert: Mental illness runs rampant in my family, 2 nuclear family members (sister & dad) committed suicide. Another brother is completely disabled due to mental health. And one more brother is hobbled though functional. My mom died from breast cancer. That leaves me... I find it easy to succumb to "compassion fatigue" and eat for comfort and for (maladaptive) nurturing...I've done it many times...so!!! - you have stumbled onto a phenomenal group of women that have helped me just in the short time I have been here (3 months). Tell us about yourself, what you want to be called, where you are from. Welcome! Some of these women have been posting here for years.

@janetr7476 Glad Jack is out of surgery, hope he has a quick recovery. Thanks for posting the dumbbell link.

Tracie in Green Bay Glad you liked the idea, there are a ton of great ideas online, here is one in a closet: z39ted0licjw.jpg

Carol Is it the Kirkland Costco coffee that you like? Just curious. Hope you get a little nap.

Cheri Y'all are as busy as hounds in flea season!

Heather Yep, girlfriends make the world go round. I have a get-together planned with 4 friends from high school in September. They get together every 6 months, I get there less often because of the distance. We've been friends for more than 45 years.

Female Prime Minister cannot be a bad thing.

Mary I did my first (beginner) kettlebell workout and I LOVED IT!!! Also held a plank for one minute x 2 times and Jazzercised for an hour. This evening I will take 2 of the dogs for a week. My granddaughter is not the only beast in the family. Her swimming coach says she is a beast in the water. She is 7.

Karen in Virginia
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    18,000 steps
    199 minutes of dog walking
    63 minutes riding the exercise bike
    20 minutes puttering in the garden

t31211.gif
    Strong Lifts with dumbbells
    sumo squats 3 X 10 @ 35 lbs
    bench press 3 X 10 @ 45 lbs
    dumbbell row 5X5 @ 60 lbs
    dumbell swing 3 X 10 @ 22.5 lbs

My word for 2016 is "alacrity"....I will greet all experiences in my life with cheerful readiness

WOW, I wish I had that energy! No wonder I can't lose weight! I need to work out more. Good for you how inspiring! :)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: We got a phone call from our realtor in Texas. Knew it was bad news before we even picked up. Lost the lease due to some stupid reason on owner's part..."we have no renting experience"! Uhm...homeowners for 30 plus years paying a mortgage monthly with both of us having 800+ credit scores. Needless to say I crumbled amongst the packing paper pile in tears....WE HAVE THE MOST AWESOME REALTOR because she had 5 other houses e mailed to us in the same neighborhood for us to choose from. Picked another one that she drove over to and videoed for us to see with same layout as original but with a small 4th bedroom that we can use for storage instead of renting a unit. AND a slightly lower rent. Sigh....on pins and needles till this goes through sometime tomorrow.

Back to the packing.

Cheri
    in oHIo weathering a curve ball in the moving process to Texas