Fit Shaming

Options

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    What does bump mean? I've seen it a few times.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    What does bump mean? I've seen it a few times.

Bumps the post to the top of the list.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm not surprised by the negativity..I've just come to ignore it. If someone is that concerned with me and my lifestyle choices to be negative..then that's on them.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Recently I've had a few friends joking ask about being on a bike ride. I just laugh it off. Other than that I don't get too many negatives that I can think of.
    I will say I've met more competing BB and PL with PhD's in areas like physics, biochemistry and engineering. So the whole dumb thing I've never gotten.
  • MaxT370
    MaxT370 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Funny, someone just asked me the other night if I was sick.

This happened to me at work. A client asked if I was sick and I said "excuse me?", she simply said, "you've lost a bit of weight and sometimes it happens when people are sickly."

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Bump is when someone makes a post to make the thread come back up to the top of the list. They can say "bump" or they can post something meaningful!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think there will always be some kind of shaming or judging from others. Sad but true. I've been openly and I'm sure quietly judged over my appearance. I had a woman in the grocery store question the name badge I had on because surely I can't be a RN with tattoos. If I hear one more blond joke I may scream.
    And tell someone that I, a woman, enjoy lifting weights.........mind blower! :D
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have coworkers who think that have any level of visible muscle is gross and disgusting and masculine. Also that anyone who does have visible definition must be on steroids.

I simply tell them to keep their judgements on anyone else's bodies to themselves unless they want to be subject to the same shaming.

I absolutely love your user name!!! :smiley:

Edited: because ... typing on phone while wearing weight-lifting gloves and ... typos.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband was a competition body builder, and all of his friends were, and it's pretty sad thinking back on what a bunch of stupid, steroidal, vain jerks they were. The stupid/steroidal/icanliftheavythings stereotypes do come from somewhere, sadly. YOU know you don't fit the stereotype, so hold your head up high and ignore them! :)
  • MishaWest79
    MishaWest79 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You look gorgeous, you have worked hard and it has paid off. Don't let others ignorance, insecurities or judgmental ways eat away at your hard won self-esteem. I pity their closed minds, their belief that a person is merely their physical bodies. Big, small, buff or puffed we are all humans, respecting that is a basic value.