Unrealistic weight loss brags

Options

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Things friends have posted on FB ad nauseam: Advocare, It Works! wraps, Herbalife, various cleanses, detoxes, etc.

Number of times I've responded to such nonsense: 0

I save the debate for here. I'd rather hide their BSC MLM silliness and keep sharing pictures of our kids. The truth is most people don't really care that much about health and fitness and they certainly don't want to debate it. Let them have their 30 to 60 days of fun. Most people's attention spans won't last much longer than that.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    I lost 22lbs the first 25 days and I'm at about 40lbs in 60 days. If one of my "friends" doesn't like my progress and what I post on my own Facebook page they can delete me. I lost 6.5lbs last week... I guess 40lbs is all just water weight lol. Wonder how much more of it I have before I lose "real" weight in others eyes

The op specifically said these were people that only had 40-50 lbs to lose in the first place. When you have a lot of weight to lose, yes, it is more than possible to lose at a faster rate.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,742 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to be barraged with this unhealthiness. I've hidden a few people in my MFP feed with really unhealthy relationships with CICO. My inner social worker wants to fix them, and I know this is inappropriate.
    Why is it inappropriate?
    I tend to speak my mind.
    They don't like it, they can delete me.
    I get tired of my preaching to the deaf and in the absence of a reason not to... I delete them.
    Free country and all that...
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I suppose I surround myself with more positive and encouraging people. Weight loss can be a very lonely and isolating journey... sometimes you don't see the weight you lose in the mirror but others notice it. It makes things just a bit easier in the process... just insight from the other side :) I would question, to myself, the duration of their losses at 2-3lbs per day as you'd think they would hit their goal in less than a month. The MLM product people I just scroll right past.. most are using other people's photos and they remain the same size themselves. I did find a lot more MLM folks came out of the woodwork when I posted about losing weight. Everyone has a pill, shake, wrap, or container to sell me to 'speed up' my losses lol.. no thanks.. that I definitely see and shake my head sometimes.
    50lbs still seems like a huge amount of weight to lose for one person. They will learn on their own or they will continue to be overweight and cycle through the loss/gain effect every few months.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    What is MLM?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What is MLM?

Multi Level Marketing - pyramid selling schemes where people are selling things like Herbalife, Clean 9 and other expensive shakes and pills.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    One thing to keep in mind if one is perplexed by big burns is that bigger people get correspondingly bigger burns. Someone just starting their weight loss journey will get bigger burns than someone at goal, especially if that someone is female and not tall.

So sad, but so true. I would have to work out very hard for at least 2-3 hours to get anywhere near a 1k calorie burn. Just the thought of that makes me want to take a nap!
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Happens sporadically with various friends. I have sometimes voiced an opinion (usually if they're sad about a "small" loss) but mostly I let it go. Not one of them has maintained their losses over the years.

Certain people tend to go on and off weight loss schemes over and over. And gain the weight back. And go back onto an artificial fad diet that can't be sustained. It is much better to chose a plan that is sustainable, and sustain it! I want to stay close to maintenance goals and KEEP the weight off.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. They will inevitably gain it back because extreme diets aren't sustainable. Your slow weight loss and (hopefully) lifestyle change is. As they say "he who laughs last laughs best".
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't even pay attention. Not my monkeys. They'll figure out sooner or later than it's not how it works.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Mentali wrote: »
    Mentali wrote: »
    I used "defensive" (and titchy which I'm pretty sure is just a word my mom used with me and not a real thing but translates to uncomfortable/defensive).

'Titchy', or 'tetchy', is an actual word! Just thought you might like to know :smile: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/tetchy
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing these and dying to comment! Absolute nonsense LOL
    6z45b3s7psdu.jpeg
    uhvkdllkvqv4.jpeg

Oh my gosh, that made me laugh! Four pounds of muscle in one week! Every bodybuilder in the world wants to know her secret. :D

Well, the lies here make sense. She is trying to sell that concussion.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I do NOT put a lot emphasis on any thing in social media. I like hiding and lying while I sit behind my key board. You never know my profile pic may not even be me.