July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I think if you get a good night's rest, hydrate and fuel your body for what you want to accomplish for both runs, doing both shouldn't be an issue. Just listen to your body if it starts to hurt in any way. :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    New conundrum. I have the 5 mile race/fun run tomorrow evening.... But I really don't want to skip my morning run. Since I'm running in the afternoon with my brother (really out of shape) and we might not even run the whole thing.....think I'll be ok running morning and evening?

Your first daily double?

If he is out of shape, then I am pretty sure he will appreciate the handicap that you will give him by running in the morning as well. You should be ok depending on how many you run in the morning. I've plenty of times went out for an extra run with my wife after I had already did my alloted number of miles. Luckily for me, she is not very fast and I counted it as a recovery run.

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @JessicaMcB I'm in Canada also, so I wouldn't even know where to acquire a stun gun (or if they're even legal). Thankfully, I haven't encountered any major incidents on my outdoor runs, most folk in my neck of the woods are quite polite. The mace is a good idea though.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I got in another slow 2 miles on the treadmill today (12:00/mile or 5mph average). That brings me up to a whopping 3.5 for the month. I might just break 10 miles for July if I'm not careful. :D

On the cat-calling/following discussion: I have had some pretty weird experiences myself. My long runs are always down the shoulder of the highway in the middle of nowhere, and I've never had the slightest issue there. However, my weekday runs are always in the downtown area of the city, and I've had numerous run-ins on those. The worst was a guy who was walking the opposite direction and turned around right as I passed him. He jogged up beside me waving his hand in my face (I was wearing headphones and trying to ignore him). I eventually pulled out an earbud and he said something about me "looking fine" and asked if I always ran around there. I just said I was exercising and took off a little faster. It was weird, but at least he got the message.

I do love the random people I pass while running downtown, though. Like the construction worker hiding from the rain under an awning yelling out "Now that's dedication!" as I ran past, or the random guy walking down the sidewalk saying "Looking good. Good for you!" Why can't everyone just be like those people?
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Very hot today. 95 degrees at 8 pm. After the run I have a very strange craving for frozen mixed vegetables seasoned with nothing but salt.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32
    July 7 - 4.4 km - 139/7:00
    July 8 - 5.7 km - ???/7:00
    July 9 - 6.0 km - 130/8:30
    July 10- 7.0 km - 146/5:54
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 9.0 km - 146/6:30
    July 13- 7.0 km - 157/6:00

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half)
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    New conundrum. I have the 5 mile race/fun run tomorrow evening.... But I really don't want to skip my morning run. Since I'm running in the afternoon with my brother (really out of shape) and we might not even run the whole thing.....think I'll be ok running morning and evening?

@MNLittleFinn

I like to follow the easy/hard principle of running. From what I've gathered you are a 10 min/mile pace type runner. If you had an hard session, like the one you had today running 4 miles @ sub 8 minute pace, you need to follow that up with an easy session/recovery day. Doing a double on a recovery day might not be the best option. That is just my opinion however.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn

I like to follow the easy/hard principle of running. From what I've gathered you are a 10 min/mile pace type runner. If you had an hard session, like the one you had today running 4 miles @ sub 8 minute pace, you need to follow that up with an easy session/recovery day. Doing a double on a recovery day might not be the best option. That is just my opinion however.

Oops! Major typo on my first post...that should have been a 38:38, not a 30:38....LOL, I just noticed that...Average pace was actually 9:34, which is pretty darn fast for me, but more in my 10k race pace range, it felt really easy with the tailwind....LOL, I wish I could run sub 8 miles
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Got in 2.9 miles on the treadmill today. I really wish either a.) I had more time to get in some more distance on my lunch break, or b.) I was able to run faster so I could get more distance in the same time. But, all I have is about 40 minutes total to work out (when you factor in dressing and showering), and counting warm up and cool down that leaves 30 minutes to run.

I suppose I could run in the morning, but it is pretty much impossible for me to wake up early. That's why I haven't signed up for any races, because every single race I've seen starts at some ungodly early hour.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty Speed comes with time/miles. I felt the same way about morning runs...Now I can't start most days without one!
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I know I will have to approach the topic of running in the morning once I am able to go for longer distances, because then there will be no way I can fit a good run in during lunch time. I will cross that bridge when I come to it. :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    Forgot to post my ticker.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Go for it man don't worry about it. It's fun running with people and if he is really out of shape recovery won't be a problem. Just take the next day off or something. If I'd be following my program and paces 100% I'd always run alone
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

@MNLittleFinn

Oops! Major typo on my first post...that should have been a 38:38, not a 30:38....LOL, I just noticed that...Average pace was actually 9:34, which is pretty darn fast for me, but more in my 10k race pace range, it felt really easy with the tailwind....LOL, I wish I could run sub 8 miles

Even a 10k effort run for 4 miles would be considered a tempo/threshold type workout, or harder session. It's up to you either way, but i've hurt myself running twice in the past 3 years. Once was racing a 10 miler, 5k & 2 mile XC race in 7 days, then adding too much distance, too quickly at too fast of a pace. You might be better served using the morning to get in a bit of cross training on a bike or elliptical to help get a bit of blood flowing, then relax for the evening run. Either way the morning session should be light.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Now I don't feel so bad since you didn't run that fast :-D

@RespectTheKitty I get you on not doing morning running. I really do. But I don't regret making the switch this summer. My silent alarm stirs me at 5:15, I'm up around 5:30 (I still can't just jump out of bed) and I'm out the door just before 6. I'm finding now I even wake up that early on my rest days without the alarm :-o Of course, I really was used to being AWAKE before 6 anyway, but I'd stay in bed with my eyes closed as long as possible and possibly cursing my husband for being such a morning person! My struggle still is getting to sleep earlier and I worry I'm not getting enough sleep. Btw, you're blowing your goal out of the water!

I had to go all the way home at lunch to get my inhaler, but I can breathe again! Woohoo.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Off topic here. Anyone notice the "member" designation? I assumed it was who joined the running challenge group, but I see it in the forums and threads.

MFP giving status? I was on real self for a while and you got status based on how helpful you were. They even sent out nice little gift boxes. Hint MFP, I need running gear..
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 3.1 miles - 3.1
    7/2 14 miles - 17.1
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 9 miles - 26.1
    7/5 9 miles - 35.1
    7/5 6.2 miles - 41.3 << Daily Double
    7/6 6.2 miles - 47.5
    7/7 8.25 miles - 55.75
    7/7 5 miles - 60.75 << Daily Double, FF Pub Run
    7/8 13 miles - 73.75 << PPounders Swamp Run
    7/9 REST DAY
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 9.25 miles - 83
    7/11 5 miles - 88 << Daily Double
    7/12 9 miles - 97
    7/12 4 miles - 101 << daily Double
    7/13 6.2 miles - 107.2

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

Just got my recovery run in for the day on my lunch hour. I wasn't in a mood to get up early this morning.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @greenolivetree That's my aim, to help other people feel better. My ultimate goal is to maintain my current long distance pace for as long as I can, that way, when I'm 75, I'll finally be able to BQ using my current distance pace...Assuming I ever actually run a Marathon.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree That's my aim, to help other people feel better. My ultimate goal is to maintain my current long distance pace for as long as I can, that way, when I'm 75, I'll finally be able to BQ using my current distance pace...Assuming I ever actually run a Marathon.

This just made me laugh! Awesome plan. I'm right there with you......

@Elise4270 I noticed the member thing too. Maybe @Stoshew71 will send us prizes for participating in his thread????
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    edited July 2016
    Options

@Elise4270 I noticed the member thing too. Maybe @Stoshew71 will send us prizes for participating in his thread????

I support this initiative! :smiley:
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    07/01 - 3 miles
    07/03 - 6 miles
    07/04 - 1 mile
    07/06 - 5 miles
    07/07 - 3 miles
    07/09 - 8 miles
    07/11 - 4 lunch miles + 2.5 evening miles
    07/13 - 5.5 miles

Seems taking a rest day between runs helps my knees - ran with minimal pain today! 5.5 glorious lunch time miles.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    08/13: Magnuson Park 10k
    08/20: Reykjavik 10k (what better way to explore a new city than by running it?)
    09/10: Lake Chelan HM
    09/17: Destination Woodinville HM