WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Way behind on reading posts.
    Re think I'll join the unofficial challenge
    Loved the Colorado pics...so different from my northeast vistas. Reminds me of the lyric " purple mountains majesty"

Have my real estate brokers licensed renewed & the pool is progressing...now I'll have my gazpacho & catch up.

GLo on the very warm & getting warmer North Shore of Ma...btw that chocolate dessert would be in the trash...been down that road recently!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    What's the "member" next to some names?
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    thank you strength and good thoughts and prayers got me through a tough day.
    Another one of my sisters basically fell apart on the phone with me crying that she can't face the difficulties ahead for our oldest sister and how she can't be available to carry the burden. and she is off her depression meds and the list goes on. She is the family historian and does everything for everyone. She has always been the rock so her sadness had me trying to be the rock.

All the while the shower install was hitting a real snag. I escaped to Home Depot and bought paint, during a huge thunder storm I cried in my car and let it all out. Long story short, I painted a bedroom, the shower problem is getting sorted out and then I open wisdom from Karen which I will carry with me in my back pocket tomorrow.
    Thank you ladies, I appreciate your support! Insert grateful emoji here.
    NYKAREN
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    :heart: Margaret
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed 'member' under the names. What does it mean. I thought we were all members. Do you have to have a certain amount of posts?

Joyce, Indiana
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    NYKAREN <3 Sending a pocket angel for your other pocket:t1320.gif

GLo I think the "Member" thing is to distinguish us from the Moderators. Some people are both. But I am not sure.

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Linda in IA – We had been using a vet in the city we lived in; then moved 25 miles away and thought we’d use the local vet. NAHDA! When our JRT got struck by a rattlesnake, I expected a call (immediately); after 3 calls … I found out they used an ‘answering service’. I do NOT want someone at an ‘answering service’ making the decision about whether to call the vet ‘in case of an emergency'. I think a rattlesnake bite is a major emergency. When she started fading a bit; I called my old vet and he told me he’d meet me. He got there before I did, leaving a ball game he was playing in. They use ‘pagers’ and that is what I needed and what I had been used to. She ended up staying in the vet’s hospital; but, she lived! We’ve always gotten our dogs a rattlesnake vaccination every year. He did tell us that ‘if’ she had gotten a direct hit with both fangs; and, waiting like we did for the local vet to return the call, she probably would not have survived. Only getting struck on her snoot with one fang and the other one just grazing her nose was a miracle. We keep telling Cracker to get out of the high grass. We are also changing her from Trifexus (kills fleas) to two medications that will treat for heartworm prevention, killing fleas and ticks, and misquotes. The two together won’t cost but $4 more than the one that treats for fleas only. She had 3 ticks on her the other night when I checked her. UGH! They seem to really bother her, too. She tried so hard to get them off that she pulled out chunks of her fur.

Talking about MDs … my GYN has a flag system; red, yellow, green, blue; they all have a meaning about who is behind the door and why. He’ll see 3 or 4 patients and then will talk to them ‘in his office’ in the same rotation that he sees them. My GP (in the same office) comes in and talks to you before he checks you out. This is ‘ok’ until I forget to ‘ask’ him something I needed to ask; but, the nurse comes in with any Rx’s or other written instructions that he has given you. He is so popular that it is sometimes hard to get ‘in’ to see him. They all have 2 PA’s each and I am just as comfortable with them as I am the MDs most of the time. Sometimes they will get you seen by the MD, if they ‘think’ you need to be seen by a MD. I like that about their practices.

Miakoda40 – My DDnL#1 lost her job about a month ago. She’s been searching since. He working conditions would be what I’d call ‘hostile’. She got called ‘names’, had work that the ‘son’ of the owner would not do, piled on her desk, and only got 1 week of vacation after 12 years; then, if she was sick or one of the girls was sick and she had to stay out, she lost days from her vacation time. She’d get ‘docked’ in pay if she went to any school function. What just topped it off was that the head boss/owner was in a bad mood, the salesman asked her ‘if she could approve an order’ and she told him, that it needed to be approved by the owner. He really did not want to go in there, so she took it in there and he started screaming at her; then his son came in and wanted to know what the problem was. She was about to tell him that she needed him to ‘sign off on a job the salesman had brought to her to do so; and, she felt like it wasn’t something she should do. The boss said, ‘everybody is being BITCHY today’ … she is the only female in the office; so she said, ‘I’m not being bitchy’. Then the son had something to add and she got upset and was about to burst into tears. This was about 10:30 – 11:00am; and she asked ‘if’ she could take her lunch hour at that time, she needed to cool off. He told her “NO!” She said, “I NEED to take my lunch hour now’. Then he told her ‘that IF she walked out of the door, not to dome back’. She was making somewhere between $13 - $15 an hour, taxes taken out, only 1 week of paid vacation and no other benefits. She left and she did not go back. Then she filed for unemployment but was denied because ‘she had walked out’. My BF’s sister got fired from her job because she made the MD that she works for mad (and his wife is also employed there) and had no ‘write ups’ or anything … Just ‘you’re fired’! She has applied for unemployment and is going to go for a ‘hostile work position’. She said that he was ‘nasty’ to the women in his office. My DDnL#2 used to be a ‘medical assistant’ and she went back to school to do something that allows her to be ‘self-employed’. She said she thinks the MD did to his help was really bad. Besides being cussed at and called derogatory names … he’d throw things at them. I am just appalled at what people say about their work conditions. I’ve always loved my jobs … worked with great people; who went way beyond their call of duty to make sure that you did not end up going without a pay check. I don’t think that DDnL#1 got the job that she interviewed for last week. Was told that they would let her know one way or the other when it got decided on by the people higher up and that it was ‘out of the hands’ of the local people.

She had customers that would deal with her only; she had approached him about possibly being able to get a commission on those accounts that she had opened. That went nowhere although he told her he’d have to think about it. Then she’d bring it up again and he acted like he had never heard of it before. She was getting calls at home about them ‘not answering the phones’, not getting their orders. She just told them that she no longer worked there and suggested they either go to the office to find out what had happened; or she referred them to another company in the area that did the same thing. When she went back to get her check, he pulled out a ‘non-compete clause letter’ and she told him she would not sign it as she isn’t going into business as his competitor.

So, she left and then wanted DOS to go empty out her desk. He told her ‘no’, she needed to call and ask if she could come get her stuff’. They had it packed in a box. She just picked it up and left without a word. She says ‘they have no clue’. I told her ‘that would be their problem’ and I would not answer questions about anything … ‘go figure it out yourself’. LOL!

I don’t know what state you live in; but, Georgia is an ‘at Will employment state’ which means you can go in and quit your job (about the only thing you’d really lose is any unpaid vacation time’ and you can be ‘fire’ with no advanced notice. Most employers do NOT want a ‘soon-to-be-laid-off or fired employee to have ANY access to anything that concerns the business. I have known people who got laid off or fired who changed passwords on accounts and erased files, some people are totally vindictive. I’ve never been fired, so I don’t know how that feels. About the closest thing I have come to being fired is being ‘disabled’ … something I had no control over. It took me 3 years to get over it. My income dropped by close to 75%, I did also get my retirement check. It dropped when I turned 62 (early retirement age); but, it did not drop when I turned 65; but, “The Affordable Care Act” did make my premium (taken out of my retirement check) go up by $54 [a payment on a bill for me]. So I have had to get used to less money 4x so far in my life. That can really hurt when you consider I was making nearly $60K a year and my insurance and retirement fund was paid for by my employer. But, I COBRA-ed my insurance because my husband did not have any insurance because he is self-employed. We rarely have to pay anything towards hospital or MD visits between Medicare and private insurance.

As for working out a time … unless they are giving you some sort of ‘severance package’ … you are a lot nicer than I’d be … if I got a job offer; I’d be available as soon as they wanted me. But, again, not knowing the state you live in … that might not be possible. In GA, it is. It’s call ‘sink or swim’. They’d have to ‘figure out your job if you died suddenly’.

Now she’s gotten the ‘school list’ for her 2 daughters; one has to have a calculator that is over $100. DOS told her to go ahead and buy the best one, so that she could use it throughout HS and maybe into college. I’m sure we will be helping on that end. I had to print it off for her.

Janetr – WOW! Guess I will just stick with putting on makeup. At least for the time being. I don’t think it was quite that expensive for DDnL#2 – she had eyeliner and her lips done. I’d like to have my lips done, because I lick my lips.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    What's the "member" next to some names?

We are all members...if you read some of the instructional threads the person writing might be listed as "MFP Staff"....if you keep reading, you'll notice the word member under everyone's picture
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    Hi all: Took DH in this morning for his follow-up on his cataract surgery. He is doing well but you wouldn't know it to talk to him. He expected instant improvement and is upset that he must use readers now until probably September when he can get a new prescription. Healing does take time. Yesterday evening we had a brief heavy rain while we were in the barn feeding horses and then a beautiful rainbow.

Katie - Glad you had clean results on the colonoscopy.

Re - If I may I would like to unofficially join your challenge. CW = 213, GW = 190, Pounds from goal = 23.

Everyone take care, Sue from WA
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Delightful Dieters...

I like the idea of replying to at least one person a day… it’s a little overwhelming to try and reply to everyone. But, when I have the time, I will. :]

This week has been a bit hectic. Since my DH had his stroke(s) a few years back, he doesn’t drive – so I get to shuffle him around to all his doctors’ appointments. We have had an early morning appt every day this week… *sigh* and I am a bit tired of getting up early and coming home late. Otherwise, things are going right along. In my life, boring is good. The only thing better is smaller clothes or a lower scale weight.

Tomorrow, I talk to my Doc about the bloodwork… if she likes the results, I am so going to keep doing what I am doing… with possibly a bit more sleep. :]

Had a mini NSV today… I brought veggies and dip for lunch…. And I didn’t eat all the dip. Whoot! In the past I would have all but licked the bowl to get every microgram of the delicious creamy goodness – but, today, I just used the dip I wanted and left the rest behind. For me, that is major.

Traci – Vacations happen. You can get back on plan. I am thinking good thoughts for successful treatment for your Dad and for you to get to visit him, soon. ((hugs!))

Carol – Can you pack a lunch? I know it takes prep… but, fast food… *sigh* Good luck on the resistance.

Cheri – HURRAY!!! – You are no longer Homeless – that isn’t something you want to be in Texas, Sugar. Folks take a dim view of that here… lol. Now, if we could just make you Homeless in OH! Good luck.

Katla – Thanks! I am excited about the challenge. I am really pushing for 2lbs a week – but, I am not going to stress out so long as I get the 1. It’s not like we are competing against anyone – but, we are challenging ourselves to do it, to keep doing it and to not get sidetracked by Halloween candy, or Pumpkin Pie. I REALLY want to get to 200 by Christmas – that would be my gift to myself… *fingers crossed and gym shoes tied*

Kim/CA – Thinking good thoughts for your client’s daughter.

Pip – 800mi – Whoot! And so glad to see you have stopped slacking off and are back up to over 900 calories… lol.

DJ – thanks – I will expect you to be holding that ruler over my fingers as I reach for the peanut M&M’s…I hope Pepper is doing better.

Charleen – Geez – what the heck is that monster – 1500 calories? What is it? A
    Chocolate Mayonnaise dish? OMG – Get. It. OUT. Use a whip and a chair if you must… but that cannot stay in the fridge.

Becca – So glad your Sis is coming to visit!

Joyce/IN – I hope you enjoy the time with your Daughter and Granddaughter. So glad you can stop packing that tiny wound.

Marcelyn – Hi, my name is Re and I am a carb junkie. I have to watch myself too… every time I go to Aldi… I have to walk the gauntlet of chips, crackers and chocolate… *sighs* I try not to succumb… but sometimes I do.

Janet/OKC – drowning – very effective monster killing method. I am afraid I have NEVER thrown pizza in the trash…

Sue – you’re on… we weigh on Mondays.

Sorry Ladies, I did run out of time. I am thinking of all of you…

XO

Re in TX
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Mia I feel so bad about your job situation...and that whole train your replacement thing is a bunch of hooey...
    Best of luck on landing something soon...
    Michele, I wish you could remember your mother more than you do. When you are little and don't have time to develop enough memories it is hard. My grandma died when I was two and all I remember are her shoes! That was the perspective of a toddler.
    Well it was the hottest day of the year but we rode 13.6 miles this evening!
    Betty
    Welcome new ladies!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Re, you are my hero, driving your husband to where he needs to go along with going to your own job.,,it puts my short time need to drive my husband into perspective.

:) Jake had a conversation with the surgeon's nurse today and she confirmed that he is doing well...the daily towel changing and every other day sheet changing will go on for another two weeks. Every day things get better for him.

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    20,000 steps
    181 minutes of dog walking
    40 minutes riding the exercise bike
    line dance class

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.20min, 16.4amph, 136mhr, 2.5mi = 77c
    SPIN- 55min, 97r, 43w, 4-7sp, 147mhr, 10.3mi = 283c
    ride gym 2 done- 5.43min, 11amph, 141mhr, 1mi = 80c
    ride round parking lot- 15.12min, 11.4amph, 127mhr, 2.8mi = 90c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.12min, 9amph, 143mhr, 2.5mi = 159c
    total cal 689
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Hello Delightful Dieters...
    Cheri – HURRAY!!! – You are no longer Homeless – that isn’t something you want to be in Texas, Sugar. Folks take a dim view of that here… lol. Now, if we could just make you Homeless in OH! Good luck.
    XO
    Re in TX

Love your humor Re in TX! :)

Cheri
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    Sue from WA – I’ve had cataracts taken off both eyes; they did the best one, first; then 2 weeks later did the other one. I still have to wear readers. Given the choice of being able to see far off or close up without readers; I chose to need readers for reading. This is an area that I can’t see clearly about arm’s length away. Drives me batty because that is about as far away as grocery shelves are when you are shopping and trying to see prices. For an additional price, I could have had a total lens implant; but, I don’t mind wearing readers when I have to.

Lenora
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of an extremecardio DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love's Extremely Ripped 1000 DVD

Had the Newcomer general meeting today. Stayed a little late and talked to a person whose first meeting this was. The home and went in the pool, didn't want to get all real sweaty cutting weeds. then ceramics. They got their order in so the paint to finish Jess' wolves came in and I finished that. It'll be fired so I will probably pick it up Monday. They fired my snail so now it's bisque. I just don't like the colors of my other snail. I really wanted something in red, white, and blue. then to Lowe's foods to get items on sale, now home.

Dawn - happy birthday to your hubby. Sounds like a nice party is planned. Take care of yourself

Cmmom - welcome!

SweetP - I usually try to read the posts a few times a day. Then there are days (like today) when I can only read them all at once, and I can't respond to as many. However it works for you is just fine

Mia - I didn't even realize that the Peter was still alive! Seems so many of our rock stars are no longer with us I'm so sorry about your job. I'm sure you'll find something truly amazing (as amazing as you are)

Joyce - yea for charlie and you!

Re - great NSV not eating all that dip

Sorry this is so short. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

Michele in NC
  • auroranae
    auroranae Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC- thanks for Hubby's birthday greeting. We went out to a movie and dinner at a Mexican restaurant for a date night tonight. We had a good time but felt guilty for not having any food for the family so we brought home some pizza for them.

As for my plateau... I work2or 3 nights a week and do drink a lot of coffee. Been trying to cut back and am drinking 3 32 oz bottles of water daily. I am going to increase my pool running time and try to add some stairs to my daily routine. Its not a big difference but cutting back on carbs and being more active may do the trick.
    Thanks to whomever it was that posted about making a change as it got me thinking about how I can do more in the same amount of time and got me off the depression spiral. Much appreciated.

Off to snuggle in bed with hubby... And try to get a good night sleep since I work tomorrow night and know I will not get much tomorrow or Friday.

Dawn in hazy, hot and rainy Maryland
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Mia – So sorry to hear about your job situation, when a door closes a window will open… and from experience I will tell you that training your replacement is simply another way to give them opportunities to blame you, so just move on down the road!

Heather – haloumi was new for me – googled it sound really interesting… Ok Karen, you are state side and seem to know all about Heather’s fun cheeses – where do you get them?

Oh dear did it again, got to reading and not noting… thanks to all for sending good thoughts about Lynn’s daughter. Yeah to all the hubbys who are doing better. Happy birthday to many… to all a big hug and a cheerful smile.

Today was yoga, I do love it, and wish it was twice a week…but once is 100% better than none. It was really hot today and will be hot tomorrow too, over 100 - I smile when some of you speak of rain, thunder etc… we will not have rain again until October or November…California is a different climate for sure!

So although “the job” starts next week I am trying to get into the routine this week, and that means going to bed earlier - I am headed for lights out by 9:30 – as I need to be up and out by 5:15, so Levi gets his walk, we have breakfast, I make a snack and lunch and am out the door by 6:45 on Mondays and 7:30 on the other days… I did make some really tasty pumpkin maple muffins 192 calories each and they are the full size ones, they seem to hold me longer than some things. I also tried a polenta cherry tomato tart recipe that was very good. I will need to be much more scheduled than I have been and that is going to be an adjustment. Tomorrow is lunch with a friend (after 2 gardening jobs – I’ll be at the first one by 7am) at Olive Garden, already looking forward to their salad, it is so easy on the calorie count.

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options