July (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @shanaber Thanks!

@ceciliaslater Hope the storm rolls through with no other issues and the power comes back soon.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's raining, it's pouring, with thunder and lightning :( Started about 4:30am. I suppose I can get at least 3 miles after the rain. That will be a couple hours. Not that I really had plans today. Also got a terrible night's sleep so I didn't feel like being up at 5:30 anyway.

@ceciliaslater Boo! At least you can shower at work though.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    7/1- REST
    7/2- REST
    7/3- REST
    7/4- 13.1 RW&B HM 2:15:26
    7/5- REST
    7/6- REST
    7/7- REST
    7/8- REST
    7/9- 5.0
    7/9- 1.0
    7/10- 4.23
    7/11-REST
    7/12- 6.01
    7/13- 4.04
    4/14- 2.01
    5/14- 5.0
    5/15- REST

July Mile goal: 40.48/70
    Actual goal: Run the Red White and Boom HM well, recover well, run the Park Point 5 Mile (7/14,not racing) well and begin training for September Boundary Waters Bank HM.

Race Report from last night's race: Last night Iran the Park Point 5 Mile with my brother. He's pretty overweight and out of shape, so he said he wanted to go slow...like planning 11 min/mile.....

Boy was that not what happened. My brother DOES NOT like me being better than him at things, and just a few years ago, he was a 17 minute 5k runner.

Mile 1: 9:45 minutes on a very subtle downhill- "hey bro, you're going way faster than you planned"

Mile 2: 9:09 on pretty much flat...Strava said it was a 2 foot gain. "Bro, you're going a Lot faster than you said!"

Mile 3: Hit the turn around at 2.5 miles and were heading back...Mile 3 was 8:35: "BRO! you're crushing it! Awesome!"

Mile 4: 8:07 "Bro, you're killing it!"

Mile 5: "Ok Bro, you're whooped, let's slow down a little for you.......except the kick out at the end! HaHa I win!" 8:25

With PR's for 5Miles, 5K, 2miles and 1 mile, it was an awesome run for me. I probably wouldn't have raced it as hard as I did, but there's something about me big brother that brings out the competitor in me. Best part is, I felt great after the run and could have done another mile or 2....I think the flat course really helped, I don't know if I could have done that if there was more incline....Still very pleased though.

Today is a rest day. After 3 days in a row running, including yesterday's double, I'm pretty happy with the rest day today. Legs actually feel pretty good, but the rest still feels in order.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @greenolivetree Boo on the lousy night's sleep. I know for me, it always makes it that much harder to get going. :expressionless:
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got 50% done by the 15th of the month:
    zydf26xa5u00.png

Not a great run - in mile 2 on a course I've done tons of times before, there was a dog that hasn't been there before, very aggressive, and running out into the road to threaten me. Now, I understand that he has no idea where the end of his owner's property is, or anything like that, but the owner DOES know, and should know that we have a rather strict leash law. I don't want to injure a dog to fend off an attack, but I will if I am forced. I guess I just can't use that round-about anymore on that course.

But the adrenaline, and the scenario-playing my mind goes thru kinda threw me off for the rest of the run. That, and the fact that, despite the fact that I'm wearing a reflective vest, there was a little less regard paid by the drivers on the roadway.

Hoping I can get a solid 10+ mile long-run tomorrow.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Great job on the 5K PR!
    @9voice9 Sorry to hear that your run was't great. Hope tomorrow's better for you!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which
    7-4.11mi sprint intervals. it felt good.
    8-2 hrs of aerial yoga
    9-beat up from yoga
    10-hungover. heartbeat hurt my head
    11-still kinda hungover. too old to party
    12-slept thru my alarms and my skin is on fire. i might sneak a run in tonight. maybe. depends if clothes feel comfortable
    13-nothing-aerial yoga tonight
    14-lazy and a few nagging foot and groin strain issues
    15-run or aerial tonight.

exercise.png

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @9voice9 I truly hope tomorrow's run is better for you!
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 5 miles
    7/3 - 3 miles
    7/4- hiking day with Skip
    7/5 - 5 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - rest day
    7/8 - 5 miles
    7/9 - 8 miles
    7/10 - 4 miles
    7/11 - 5 miles
    7/12 - rest day - took Skip to airport
    7/13 - 6 miles
    7/14 - 6 miles
    7/15 - 6 miles

60 of 110 miles

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom great consistency this month!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 I thought of you when I said this on the new this morning http://www.nj.com/atlantic/index.ssf/2016/07/aerialist_erendira_wallenda_sets_world_record_in_a.html I can just see you doing this
    @MNlittlefinn thank you. Back in the day (like last year) before I was hurt I ran 6 miles at least each day so I'm working slowly to get back to that as my daily run. Loved you race report with your brother. I hate to admit but I'm so competitive in races that I look around to see who I think is in my age group before I run. It's with everything, if I see 2 bugs running I'd cheer one on.
    @shanaber I was looking at MFP on my phone, but holy crap you are right about @ddmom0811 calf muscles, girl that bike riding is working for you!
    @_nikkiwolf_ are you okay? Horrible events there in France :cry: WTF is wrong with the world
    @katharmonic LOL on the headband, I'm just happy it stays where it's suppose to
    @jessicamcb get yourself a July stretch goal. What do you mean by "non-bear" ? Are you seeing bears on your runs? Awesome 10K!
    @kristinegift yeah for milkshakes!
    @ceciliaslater hope your electric is back on. When ours was out for over a week Skip took a bath in a tupperware container. We had one of those big 30 gallon containers and we ran 200ft of hose across the grass and put water in it, then left it for an hour in the sun. We filled the container up and put a big piece of glass over it and the sun warmer up the water, then she got in it like a bathtub and rinsed off with the hot water out of the hose. It was awesome.
    @tattooeddolphingirl78 wow super 5K PR!!
    @9voice9 what is with people and their dogs, seriously! When I have Macy out front with me she is on a 15' lead tied to a tree so she can't reach the street. Even if she wasn't on the leash she would just want to run with you and lick you to death. But it's my responsibility to keep her in my yard and we don't even have a leash law.
    @elise4270 nice on the hat! I brought a sweatbands hat at Fleet Feet a couple weeks back I really like it.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Power is still out. Hope it comes back on soon, as my parents are on their way to our house to visit for the weekend. :#
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Thanks!
    @_nikkiwolf_ I'm heartbroken with what has happened in Nice, France... :cry:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Power is still out. Hope it comes back on soon, as my parents are on their way to our house to visit for the weekend. :#

I really hope it comes back soon for you!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »

Beautiful morning today, 68 degrees with humidity about 83, but with cooler temps it didn't have near the effect. 75% of the time I'm indifferent after a run, 24% of the time I'm glad they are over, then there is that 1 in 100 run that you wish you had the time to just keep on running. Today was that 1 in 100 nirvana type run for me. Schedule called for 11 but at 8 miles my HR was still in z2 and was "feeling it". Ran right past the house at 11 miles and did a loop through my hood. Had I not had a meeting at work this morning i'd have taken this run another hour or so and got it to 19-20 miles. Average pace was 9:32 which is :23 sec off goal marathon pace and average HR was only 140 (z2/z3 transition is 144). I only spent a total of 3 minutes in z3 on moderate climbs. If weather cooperates in Oct and we get a nice mid 40's morning start and I can get the last 10 lbs off from my goal weight I really think 3:45-3:50 is on the table. Tomorrow is a recover run of 5-6 and Sun finishes my stepback week so "only" 15 miles.

I love those runs! And as far as the 3:45-3:50, I think you've got that for sure! I read your posts and I can't help but notice how similar your training is to mine for my BQ marathon. Aside from the fact that you are running a bunch more miles than I did, it appears that our paces for tempo runs and speed work are very similar and even the heart rate zones pretty much mirror each other. That, coupled with all of the extra miles that you are doing, tells me that you are probably capable of hitting a similar marathon time as me. Granted, I felt like all of the stars aligned for me on that day and I had the "near perfect" race experience, but I pulled off a 3:38:26. I'll bet you could do the same or better. FWIW, I started off with the 3:45 pace group (my goal) and hung with them for the first half of the race, then I turned it up and finished strong. I think the fast finish long runs I did in my training were key.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - A dog loose like that would throw me off too.
    @skippygirlsmom - tried the headband and I liked it! May order more. Might try it on bike ride tomorrow as well!

4.5 mile run today. It is slightly cooler here than up north the last few days. I noticed on Monday the high at my mom's in Virginia is supposed to be 99. I will run early!
    Biking tomorrow and Sunday a long 12 hour drive so will be rest day.

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run + strength training
    7/12 - 5 mile run
    7/13 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 4.3 miles
    7/15 - 4.5 miles
    7/16 - biking
    7/17 - rest day

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yeah the second half of the town trails system is forever on bear advisory. I've run closer than I'd like to passing black bears. I know logically black bears aren't likely to attack people but I'd rather avoid them personally.

Have good runs today everyone, off to the town fair with the babies for the day!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @shanaber - join us here in Oklahoma and you can enjoy both! Lol.

No doubt! I was born and lived in California off and on. Never an earthquake I noticed. Here it's undoubtedly felt. Maybe it just that our houses and structures aren't made to absorb the shock. I don't mind the quakes. But I don't feel that we have the threat of massive ones either. Massive tornados tho... Yikes!

We got some of that rain this morning too! Hope you guys recover from the severe storm soon.

@AdrianChr92 I'd register for that race anyway and get the free shirt. :smiley: