What do you use in your coffee?!

Options

Replies

• ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    mestout946 wrote: »
    I'm trying to move away from my delicious vanilla coffee creamer to a more healthy alternative so I don't have the calorie/sugar/carb guilt after my fourth cup everyday.

It depends on what you mean by healthy. Since you mention calories, sugar, and carbs, I'll offer a suggestion. I also loved coffee creamer, but the calories were too high for me to justify. I tried milk alternatives, and used unsweetened cashew milk for a while along with sugar free flavoring. But the cashew milk didn't lighten my coffee as much as creamer did, so it was only a tolerable solution.

My grocery store began carrying the Walden Farms flavored coffee creamers. They contain no dairy, calories, sugar, or carbs. I have tried the hazelnut and mocha flavors. While they aren't the same as the flavored coffee creamers I used to use, they are a good compromise for me. The creamer goes right to the bottom of my coffee mug instead of mixing with the coffee as I pour, so I've learned to stir as I pour. They are thin and watery at room temperature, but thicken significantly when refrigerated, so I don't use it straight off the shelf - I make sure it is cold before the first use.

• dargilla2
    dargilla2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A pat of salty cultured butter and milk. Don't knock until you've tried it. Salt cuts the bitterness.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Original Almond Milk, I use to drink the Vanilla and/or the regular Original, but now I find that too sweet. If Unsweetened Almond is not available, straight up Black. It will take a couple weeks, but your taste buds will adjust.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Coffee mate (I know it's not great but I can't stand milk).
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Going camping this weekend, so probably Baileys ;) ....normally though just black.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just semi skimmed lactofree milk. It doesn't need sweetening.

And good coffee definitely doesn't need flavourings
  • evilish
    evilish Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you like chemicals in your coffee (like me, LOL), and don't mind a chocolate flavor, I use half a packet/envelope of Nestle fat free cocoa mix in 1 huge mug of coffee. I add a few drops of chocolate flavored stevia as well. One envelope is 20 calories total. I do agree with others, super duper good quality black coffee is fantastic.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Really good coffee I can drink black, but I'm drinking mediocre coffee lately so usually a little half and half and 2 tsp sugar. Sometimes soy or almond milk. Keep in mind soy milk can separate if the coffee is high in acidity.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I will use one single serving of the International Delight french vanilla creamers and either Splenda or Truvia to sweeten. The creamer is all of 35 calories, so not too big of a tax on my calories for the day, but I typically only have one cup of coffee.

I agree the Torani syrups are also good options, and I was using their sugar free syrups when I wanted to go completely sugar/calorie free. They have some great flavors too.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I use So Delicious Hazelnut Coconut Creamer. 25 calories for 1 TBSP.

But generally I think you can work in most any creamer/milk/whatever if you keep it to a known serving, can't you?
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla-flavoured almond milk.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Black. Cut out the milk when I cut out dairy. Took me about 4 days.

Black is the way to go if you really want to taste the coffee rather than all the other junk.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Bourbon

I love this but only in really sweet light coffee so not a good sub for whatever.

So, having disclosed that - Starbucks made something in the winter called "butterscotch latte". It was tooth-rotting, headache-inducingly sweet, like sweet enough to throw someone into a diabetic coma, unbearably sweet, yuck. I got a tiny cup of this and put into it, not our usual Maker's Mark, but a scotch 12 year whiskey and it was one of the best things I have ever tasted in my entire life. Like magic.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Black. Cut out the milk when I cut out dairy. Took me about 4 days.

Black is the way to go if you really want to taste the coffee rather than all the other junk.

I cut dairy out for a while awhile back. It didn't take me long to get used to black coffee but now that I am drinking it again, I do add just one cream (I used to do "double double", two cream, two sugar). Part of the problem is there is nowhere to get a good cup of coffee and making it at home isn't always an option.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Half and half or heavy cream, 1tbsp. I drink 4-5 16oz mugs of coffee daily. I make it fit. Coffee is my favorite food.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Milk or half and half. Naturally sweet. Enough for me. :smile:
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Bourbon

Bahaha. While I do put booze in my coffee, sometimes, I typically drink it black.

If you feel like you need something sweet, but don't want to continue using your creamer or have decided it's not worth fitting into your daily calorie goal, you could try adding protein powder, which I always use to help my meet my protein macro (something I struggle with). I typically make an iced coffee, whole milk, and protein powder shake as an afternoon snack. I would not want this first thing in the morning, personally, because I do not like sweet coffee for breakfast, but if you're used to having creamer it might work. Protein powders are often very sweet.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Harvey Specter in Suits takes it with a bit of vanilla.