What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    Then there is this other bunch of friends and family members who can get to 5 p.m. and are suddenly ravenous and going, "I can't remember if I've eaten or not...did I eat today? When is the last time I had food? Golly, maybe I better eat something before I fall over!"

I cannot even imagine being like that LOL!

I do that occasionally ... if, and only if, I get really occupied with something.

I've buried myself in the library researching something interesting for a paper in a course I enjoyed ... and hours later it has suddenly occurred to me that it had been something like 12 hours since I ate.

Or one day not too long ago, I got involved in something at work, then I had to change and dash to the concert hall to meet my husband for an early symphony performance ... and it wasn't until intermission at about 7:00 pm that I realised I hadn't eaten since maybe lunchtime, and we didn't actually get to eat till about 10 pm.

But that doesn't happen nearly often enough! :grin:

• emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    While I think there is a genetic component, I believe a lot of it has to do with habits. My fiancé is this way (guy in my profile picture), he is very slim. However, he really doesn't eat much, he usually under eats at mealtimes. He also moves A LOT. His job is very physical and lately he's been playing Pokemon Go. But mainly he eats like a bird haha
  • emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I kind of think they are lucky to have developed natural habits and a healthy feedback system that helps them stay at a healthy weight without thinking about it. Some may have a higher TDEE and some may actually have a lower TDEE, the whole deal about being naturally thin (i.e settling at a normal weight without deliberately watching intake or activity) is the ability to eat to their hearts content, but their hearts content just happens to be a healthy calorie level for their TDEE, be it higher or lower than average.

I wish I were naturally thin, but I'm not. I will have to watch my intake for years to come. It is what it is, and I have made my peace with it.

Yes! This describes my fiancé, he just so happens not to find food an indulgence. He's just naturally wired to not take pleasure in eating. I'll never understand this lol
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I used to think they were just genetically blessed whereas I would have to work at it for the rest of my life. What about you?

I think that there are people who naturally eat the right number of calories to maintain their weight. Some of those people are very slender. They may look like they eat a lot and stay thin effortlessly but really they are very active, eat very low calorie foods, have one big meal a day or something.
    It can be difficult gaining weight if you do not eat the right calories to do so just like losing weight. In both cases it is down to the math.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Body weight is the tangential consequence of something we can't yet explain.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Depends. People who struggle to keep weight on have a struggle, too. Different, but not easy. It's especially hard for small men who have trouble getting buff when that's what they really want.
    If they aren't getting buff, it's because they aren't consuming the calories needed to do it. And while many may have a higher metabolic rate, math still applies. Eat more than your TDEE consistently and you'll gain weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or it's because they're short guys who are small-boned and will just never be tall or very muscular. It shouldn't matter to them, IMO, but it does. Small people might get fat, but they'll never be big people. That's life.

Believe it or not, it is difficult for some people to keep their weight up. Maybe you studied that when studying nutrition? It's usually included.

Yes short people will never be tall. But that really isn't a question
    Small guys can absolutely become larger muscular if they want to.
    It seems as though you have changed the goal posts by throwing in the short -tall thing. When you have to change the goal posts then it's usually time to back away from the keyboard.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Depends. People who struggle to keep weight on have a struggle, too. Different, but not easy. It's especially hard for small men who have trouble getting buff when that's what they really want.
    If they aren't getting buff, it's because they aren't consuming the calories needed to do it. And while many may have a higher metabolic rate, math still applies. Eat more than your TDEE consistently and you'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or it's because they're short guys who are small-boned and will just never be tall or very muscular.
    Disagree. There are lots of male bodybuilders today under 5'6".
    Believe it or not, it is difficult for some people to keep their weight up. Maybe you studied that when studying nutrition? It's usually included.
    Dependent on calorie intake. It's basic math. The whole "naturally lean" thing is a myth (unless there's some underlying health issue). Eat more than one's TDEE consistently and they will gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    You won't convince that nobody struggles to keep weight on because I know better.
    Yes, anecdotes surely are better evidence than actual science and clinical studies. ;) Not trying to convince you, just debating against your opinions.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    It's not opinion, it's fact. I'm surprised that when you studied nutrition it wasn't covered. I'm not debating it because it's ridiculous.

Please share some proof of all your "facts" then?!
  • ScreeField
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Here's some interesting reading -- researchers are correlating something other than genetics to body weight with the theme along the lines of " diets (caloric restriction) promote long-term obesity ":

Mann, T. et al. (2007).Medicare’s search for effective obesity treatments: Diets are not the answer. American Psychologist, 62(3): 220-233.

Field, A,E. et al (2003). Relation Between Dieting and Weight Change Among Preadolescents and Adolescents. Pediatrics,112:900-906.

Haines, J. & Neumark-Sztainer D (2006). Prevention of obesity and eating disorders: a consideration of shared risk factors. Health Education Research, 21(6):770–782.

Kwoh, L. (January 9, 2012).Weight Watchers Chief Looks to Men, China for Growth. Wall Street Journal.

Neumark-Sztainer, D. et al (2006). Obesity, disordered eating, and eating disorders in a longitudinal study of adolescents: how do dieters fare five years later? J Am Diet Assoc,106(4):559-568.

Patton, G. C., et al. (1999). Onset of adolescent eating disorders: population based cohort study over 3 years. British Medical Journal, 318:765-768.

Pietiläinen, K.H. et al. (2011). Does dieting make you fat? A twin study. International Journal of Obesity, | doi:10.1038/ijo.2011.160

Saarni, S. E. et al (2006). Weight cycling of athletes and subsequent weight gain in middleage. International J Obesity, 30: 1639–1644.

Tribole E. & Resch E. (2012-in press). Intuitive Eating (3rd edition). St.Martin’s Press: NY,NY.

Tylka, T. L. (2006). Development and psychometric evaluation of a measure of intuitive eating. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 53, 226-240.

What does all this mean: we don't have a black and white (or even grey) answer to the question posted.
  • ScreeField
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »

Pretty sure the laws of thermodynamics and the direct relationship between energy and mass are pretty well defined.

And application of such ( to human bodies ) are based on hypothesis and theory not law.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    crewahl wrote: »
    I think the reality is that we don't know what other people deal with, and we don't know what's going on in their heads. That heavy person could have just lost fifty pounds; that thin person may be struggling to lose three pounds; the person we perceive as naturally thin may just have a different set of priorities than us; the person eating an entire large pizza may make that their only meal of the day.

Judging is ultimately embarrassing when I'm confronted with reality.

I think at the end of the day, if you eat more calories than you burn you'll gain weight; eat fewer calories than you burn and you'll lose weight. Everybody finds the balance that works for them.

I don't think this thread was meant to judge anyone. I think it was just asking about our opinions about the fact that some people can maintain a slim figure effortlessly, as they are blessed with naturally regulating appetite and habits that support staying slim without giving it any conscious thought.
  • ScreeField
    Options
    brower47 wrote: »

Pretty sure the laws of thermodynamics and the direct relationship between energy and mass are pretty well defined.

And application of such ( to human bodies ) are based on hypothesis and theory not law.

You know that gravity is a scientific theory, right?

Is this a question or troll?