Options

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Turb2o wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    dude no!

If you don't wanna eat them then fine, but it's about calories not devil foods

This does the best clarification of all major contentious points that come up on MFP over and over again

svwxcdfh1g80.png
    Basically eat clean and cook my own food that has worked beforehand

Yeah I eat clean and cook my own food and never skip the carbs. Rice, wraps, fruits, milk, oatmeal, candy occasionally. And have no problem losing weight. It's calories that matter bro. Carbs give you energy and help you build/preserve muscle by providing your body the energy to do so.

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'm not declaring war on any kind of food. That kind of thinking isn't sustainable for me.

I also don't really get how it's much of a war on carbs if you are eating potatoes, fruit, veggies etc. All great stuff to eat but as far as I know, you'll get carbs from all of those.

But hey, if that's what you need to get you on track... then go for it, everyone is different.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Carbs are innocent, no need to go to war against them
    Suger sweet sweet suger also bread bad bad bread and what have you got doughnuts Dam it

I... don't see the problem with carbs, either.
    I've lost 90lbs including so called 'bad carbs" and 'teh evil sugarz' in my WOE.
    Yeah, I'll have my chocolate/donuts/ice cream/bread/pasta and lose weight, too, without being an angry assbutt.

Nearly identical "ditto". I'm also 90lbs down while including plenty of what the OP is considering the “evil sugar, breads, and donuts” in my diet. Those carbs have been successful weapons on my war on extra pounds.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,847 Member
    Options
    If you don't want your carbs ... I'll take them!! They're an important part of my diet. :) Especially when I'm cycling!
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've tried very low carb..... can do it for about 2 weeks and that's it's....I fall off the wagon! Admittedly after the first few days I do feel very good on a keto style diet. I just can't stick to it so it's no good for me.

I do try and eat things like sweet potatoes and brown rice, over pasta and bread. Mostly because they help me stay fuller for longer. But I have sweet treats as well and they help me stay on track.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bad cabs play holy ### with me so its boring veg plenty of proteins and quility fats so i canlose some fat not muscle

It sounds like you have some all or nothing (black or white) thinking going on as you are labeling foods as good or bad. The reality is that foods are neither inherently good nor inherently bad, so there is no need to war against any foods at all. Instead, you can choose to include the foods you prefer into your lifestyle. Of course, you need to consider qualities such as the nutritional benefits provided by foods, how satiating the food is, how it fits into your overall consumption, and the caloric "cost" of the food. This could influence the amount that you consume and the frequency with which you choose to include particular foods. There is absolutely no need to "declare war" on any foods.

I'm also going to challenge your assumption that you need to eat boring vegetables. Why not eat vegetables that are a delicious complement to your meals? Don't punish yourself with soggy boiled broccoli and canned green beans - there is a whole world of delicious vegetables that can be prepared in interesting ways so that they are satisfying and scrumptious. But if you label vegetables as boring, how open are you going to be to exploring the abundance and variety that are available to you?

Don't believe everything that you think.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Enksar1 wrote: »
    My new eating diet will be no carbs like rice or bread , only boiled potatoes after training and unlimited fruits and salad throw all the day.

Those are carbs too. I had a smoothie with fruit and veg with breakfast, so no war on carbs for me.

Plus, unless you are burning calories in warring on carbs, I think this is in the wrong section. How much fight does a banana or potato put up?

Also, the whole idea of warring on a food is bizarre. If you don't want to eat it, don't. I try to maximize my intake of healthy fats and higher nutrient carbs (within my calories, of course) and keep consumption of other fats and carbs to a relatively small portion of my calories (although I still fit in cheese and ice cream and the occasional baked good), but I certainly see no point in pretending like "carbs" are uniquely the issue or that I am warring on them. That's so silly!

Anyway, eat the carbs you like. I personally prefer my potatoes roasted with their skin (most of the nutrients are in the skin) vs. boiled, but whatever tastes good to you.
  • Turb2o
    Turb2o Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My new eating diet will be no carbs like rice or bread , only boiled potatoes after training and unlimited fruits and salad throw all the day.

Those are carbs too. I had a smoothie with fruit and veg with breakfast, so no war on carbs for me.

Plus, unless you are burning calories in warring on carbs, I think this is in the wrong section. How much fight does a banana or potato put up?

Also, the whole idea of warring on a food is bizarre. If you don't want to eat it, don't. I try to maximize my intake of healthy fats and higher nutrient carbs (within my calories, of course) and keep consumption of other fats and carbs to a relatively small portion of my calories (although I still fit in cheese and ice cream and the occasional baked good), but I certainly see no point in pretending like "carbs" are uniquely the issue or that I am warring on them. That's so silly!

Anyway, eat the carbs you like. I personally prefer my potatoes roasted with their skin (most of the nutrients are in the skin) vs. boiled, but whatever tastes good to you.

Not all carbs are bad maybe I shouldn't change the status to war on refined carbs i.e processed foods carbs from none starchy veg e.g. greens are made up of fibroids carbohydrates but war on carbs was quicker to post
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I love carbs, all carbs...they keep me going and allow me to be strong through my workouts....Because I have Celiac, I avoid breads, rices, grains, absolutely anything with wheat (especially pasta, it kills my belly)...which eliminates some of the carbs that people tend to overdo it on. Your best bet is to set yourself up on MFP, and try to fit your foods into the macros it provides. If you focus primarily on "protein" you'll find the other macros and micros tend to fall nicely into place, without depriving yourself of anything you love like "sweet sweet sugar and donuts!"
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Doh!
  • BarbellzNBrotein
    BarbellzNBrotein Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Are we going down this rabbit hole again? *kitten* me! I believe the only way for OP to understand this is a flawed method of weight loss and quite frankly unsustainable:8 is for him to slip up enough times to realize, you're spinning your wheels because it just doesn't work in the long run (Been there, done that). Power to you my man. Now off to make me a bowl of grilled potato chips.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I've done the limiting carbs and it worked, for a while but it wasn't a lifetime change so I gained it all back. I've been focusing on lifetime changes the past year and I'm so much happier eating this way.

You have to find what works for you, and maybe this will but if it doesn't, don't be afraid to rediscover moderation, so you can eat those foods you love, under your calorie goal. There might be a few foods you avoid because you just can't eat only one (or two) (for me, it's ice cream, no control for me) but it is possible to be healthy without shunning sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Not all carbs are bad maybe I shouldn't change the status to war on refined carbs i.e processed foods carbs from none starchy veg e.g. greens are made up of fibroids carbohydrates but war on carbs was quicker to post

"Carbs" aren't bad, period. Carbs are simply a macronutrient and most junk foods that people consider "bad" (IMO, foods aren't bad although diets can be) are about half fat and half carbs, with a bit of protein sometimes, so it's weird to call them carbs and not something like a banana.

0% plain Fage greek yogurt has a lot of carbs (especially if you add some berries, as I normally do) and is "processed," are you warring on it? Same with steel cut oats with fruit. One of my favorite fast and IMO healthful meals is some pasta (processed, largely carbs) plus smoked salmon (processed, largely protein and fat) plus vegetables (whatever I have around, largely carbs, not particularly processed until I do it, although I sometimes buy bagged spinach, so processed), plus olive oil (processed). Sometimes I add pine nuts (processed, largely fat), feta or goat cheese (processed, largely fat), or olives (processed, largely fat). Should I war on this meal?
  • RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I'm doing keto, but in the process I've learned that you really do need a mixture of carbs for sustained healthy weight loss even if you are somewhat sedentary. Just not too many. Now Im just trying to learn how to cycle them in. We have to know our enemy, and that enemy is body fat, not carbs. I will use any weapons at my disposal to kick bodyfat's behind.