Options
    July
    1-4.6mi with incline between 1-13. slow and steady
    2-nope
    3-nope
    4-nope
    5-hip and foot cramps, nope
    6-flare. jog or yoga tonight. not sure which
    7-4.11mi sprint intervals. it felt good.
    8-2 hrs of aerial yoga
    9-beat up from yoga
    10-hungover. heartbeat hurt my head
    11-still kinda hungover. too old to party
    12-slept thru my alarms and my skin is on fire. i might sneak a run in tonight. maybe. depends if clothes feel comfortable
    13-nothing-aerial yoga tonight
    14-lazy and a few nagging foot and groin strain issues
    15-nope
    16-6.65 mi run and 1.5km walk for pokemon
    17-nothing
    18-slept thru my alarms

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ On being sore after that monster hill, and feeling the downhills: It's the downhills that hurt. In the words of a local race director, "The uphill segments may break the souls of a few new runners, but it's the downhills that turn your body into ground beef. (Ground tofu for the vegetarians.)"

My PT explains that that running uphill, the muscles work in an eccentric fashion, while downhill they work concentric. The concentric effort is much harder, and not so much what the muscles are good at.

Probably explain why my pace is actually usually faster on flat ground and even slight uphills than on downhills.

July 1-7.3 +1.1 with the puppy
    July 2-12 miles
    July 3-8 miles
    July 4-rest day
    July 5-6 miles + 1.1 with the puppy
    July 6- 5 miles
    July 7- 4.6 miles easy + 0.4 miles with puppy (we ran into a doggie friend and she decided that play>running!)
    July 8- 4.4 miles speed intervals
    July 9-9.3 miles with Mojo group +1.3 miles with Stella
    July 10-6.1 miles
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 6.2 miles AM+4 miles PM
    July 13- 3.9 miles+1.1 with the pup
    July 14- 5 miles AM
    July 15- 4.1 miles hill repeats
    July 16- 12.2 miles
    July 17- 4.9 miles

Just getting around to reading all of the posts from the weekend and posting my runs for the last 3 days. Congrats to everyone who had great races and set new PRs! Way too many to mention them all. You guys rock.

No race or PR here, but a great weekend, running and otherwise. Friday after work I did some pretty brutal hill repeats in the heat. 6X1.5 minutes up the hill with 2.5 minute cool down. I usually try and sprint these or at least take them as fast as I can. However, the heat made it kind of difficult. I didn't take it easy on myself and ran pretty hard, but my pace was no where near what I would consider a sprint. However, the heart rate made it well into zone 5 on every interval and I even had to walk back down the hill to bring it back to zone one on a few of them, so I guess the point of the workout was accomplished. I am calling it a success.

Saturday morning's 12 miler was pretty uneventful. Nice early morning sunrise run before we headed down to Louisville for a music festival. Festival was great, but draining with the heat. I have been to Louisville twice before and they have some great running spots along the river that I have always wanted to do but have never made it happen (usually the result of all of the delicious bourbon that is practically poured down your throat there). However, I made a promise to myself that I would get up Sunday morning for a nice, enjoyable run. And boy was it awesome. Ran across the Ohio river into Indiana with the sunrise on the water. So peaceful and lovely.

It occurred to me that, having grown up in Pittsburgh and now living in Cincinnati, I have run across the Ohio river in 4 different states: PA, OH to KY and now KY to IN. My in-laws live less than a mile from the Ohio river in WV. I run along it when we are there, but I never have crossed it. Definitely on the must do list for my next visit. I need to add another Ohio River state to my running list!

Today is a rest day and I am going to enjoy it. Legs feel good, but looking forward to a break from the heat. Still in pretty good shape to meet my goal for the month. Have a great day everyone!

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Rest day yesterday, and it was lovely, but I was happy to be back to running today. I always find it amazing how my body is happiest when it's a run day. lol With my new PR on Saturday, I really wasn't aiming to break it this morning. I ran intervals outside on the paths near my work (and it's way more fun than a treadmill). I ended up breaking my PR by about 20 seconds, and that's awesome! I hope that the weather stays nice for the mornings so that I can keep running outside this week. :smiley:

Happy Monday! :sunglasses:

exercise.png

1/7: REST
    2/7: 5.44 km + yoga
    3/7: REST
    4/7: 3.00 km + yoga
    5/7: sick
    6/7: 1.00 km (still recovering) + yoga
    7/7: 3.64 km + yoga
    8/7: 4.00 km + yoga
    9/7: 5.00 km + yoga
    10/7: REST
    11/7: 4.19 km + yoga
    12/7: 3.50 km + yoga
    13/7: 4.83 km + yoga
    14/7: 3.87 km + yoga
    15/7: 5.22 km + yoga
    16/7: 5.64 km + yoga (new PR – 5K in 35:53)
    17/7: REST
    18/7: 5.04 km + yoga (new PR – 5K in 35:33)
    19/7:
    20/7:
    21/7:
    22/7:
    23/7:
    24/7: REST
    25/7:
    26/7:
    27/7:
    28/7:
    29/7:
    30/7:
    31/7: REST (possibly, depending on whether I’ve passed my goal or not by then)

Races:

9/7: Tropicolour 5K
    23/7: Zombies Run! App Ultra-Violet 5K
    6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run (seriously thinking about it still)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Like Mobycarp I hated the thought of the cost of Body Glide so I tried deodorant (it was stoshew71 that recommended it). My problem area is my thighs if I'm running shorts for a long time and how hot it is. I think for the HRM monitor you would be great with the deodorant but honestly it didn't as good for my thighs. I broke down and brought body glide and love it. I do have to tell a funny story. I wanted to try the body glide and the local fleet feet has this little size it's like the size of a lighter. So I brought it one day when there getting Skip some shoes. A few days later I say "hey where's my body glide?" no clue. I assume she threw it out in the bag. I won't even tell you we did the same dance TWICE more, the last time was a full size one. That child!!!! So I brought some recently online to make sure she had no chance to touch it.
    @5512bf don't you love it when you think geez this is getting better as we go along. Great run!
    @juliet3455 the Peru story is classic, I love it. @shanaber I have no doubt you can run under a 5 min pace for 17 miles :wink:

Taking a rest day today. I had a 36 mile week last week and honestly I can't remember the last time my weekly mileage was that high. I'm very happy with my slow but steady come back after injury. I did set the alarm because I wanted to do a few recovery miles after my long run yesterday. When it went off I hit the snooze because I was tired, then I decided to set the other alarm (my 6:15 rest day alarm) and thought if I wake up before I'll get up and go if not I'll take the rest day. I hit that alarm snooze twice LOL This weekend between runs, pool maintenance, lawn work, starting to wash my house and everything else I figured I'd survive the day off :smile:

Though when I got up I did do this:

ajsdqznwwsm1.jpg
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Love the pic! And you most definitely deserve today's rest day, as hard as it will be. :wink:
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I apologize for my absence this month. Crazy busy right now, plus work travel. I will try to catch up with everyone this week...I hope.

Still nursing a wonky hip. Seems to be doing better, but not feeling 100% yet.

7/1 - Baseball tournament...no chance to run.
    7/2 - More baseball!
    7/3 - Family day. Not starting the month so well.
    7/4 - 3.82 miles on a beautiful, cool morning.
    7/5 - Bodypump class, followed by 1.5 miles on indoor track.
    7/6 - 4.01 miles through the soupy air...HOLY HUMIDITY!
    7/7 - Bodypump class, then 1.5 miles on indoor track.
    7/8 - Spin Class. Not sure of mileage. ~50 minutes.
    7/9 - Rest Day. Moved a lot of furniture.
    7/10 - Bodypump class, then 2.0 miles on treadmill
    7/11 - Unplanned rest day.
    7/12 - Bodypump class, then 30 minute abs/core class (ouch)
    7/13 - 3.8 miles on hotel treadmill. Even the fitness center is hot and humid in Orlando.
    7/14 - 3.35 miles on hotel treadmill, then weights.
    7/15 - 4 miles on hotel treadmill.
    7/16 - Travel day...gotta get home.
    7/17 - Bodypump class.
    7/18 - Unplanned rest day. Woke up feeling ill...ugh

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @karllundy We'll forgive you this time. But it better not happen again. :wink: Take care of that hip. Mine became chronic, I sure wouldn't wish that on you.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    07/06 2.50 mi
    07/08 3.00 mi
    07/10 2.00 mi
    07/12 3.00 mi
    07/14 3.00 mi
    07/16 4.00 mi
    TOTAL 17.50 mi

Upcoming 2016 Races:
    08/06 – Foreman Foundation Chocolate Tour 10K
    09/18 – Rock 'n' Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon
    09/24 – The Great Pumpkin Run 5K
    10/09 – 5,000 Yards Dash
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - lol on the Body Glide!
    @_nikkiwolf_ - awesome on the mountain!

I am visiting my mom in Northern VA. The weather is basically the same as Orlando, and I really should have left a little earlier this morning because it got really hot/humid. But I was very happy with my run because I am not used to any hills or inclines and the last few times I've visited here I haven't been able to run the whole way up the big hills. (Ok, these are not big by most people's standards, but for me they are big). Anyway, ran without stopping all the hills. Mile 4 was just too hot and even though it was mostly downhill, I did have to walk some because I was just so hot and HR was pretty high. Tomorrow I'm going to leave earlier!

7/1 - 5.23 miles in Washington
    7/2 - 3.7 miles in Washington
    7/3 - flying home all day - no running.
    7/4 - :disappointed: couldn’t ride today.
    7/5 - 4.5 miles in the Florida heat and humidity.
    7/6 - 5 miles!
    7/7 - 4.2 miles + 1 hour spinning class
    7/8 - strength training - cancelled — rest day
    7/9 - 34 mile bike ride
    7/10 -35 miles biking
    7/11 - 5 mile run + strength training
    7/12 - 5 mile run
    7/13 - 4 miles
    7/14 - 4.3 miles
    7/15 - 4.5 miles
    7/16 - 41 miles biking
    7/17 - rest day and driving 12 hours
    7/18 - 5 miles Virginia hills

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    07/01 - 3 miles
    07/03 - 6 miles
    07/04 - 1 mile
    07/06 - 5 miles
    07/07 - 3 miles
    07/09 - 8 miles
    07/11 - 4 lunch miles + 2.5 evening miles
    07/13 - 5.5 miles
    07/15 - 4 miles
    07/17 - 10 miles

Yesterday I ran my first double digit run since the marathon! It felt fantastic but my knees started hurting again immediately after. I got fitted for new shoes that seemed to help a bit - they're more supportive than my previous ones - but it's too soon to tell. I'll continue to put rest days between each run but I'm thinking I might need to cut back on mileage if it doesn't start to get better soon.

I've been icing, resting more, etc. I took almost 2 weeks off after the marathon and my knees felt much better, but immediately started acting up again when I added mileage back. Thinking I might need to see a doctor soon. Any tips from people who've had runner's knee?

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    08/13: Magnuson Park 10k
    08/20: Reykjavik 10k (what better way to explore a new city than by running it?)
    09/10: Lake Chelan HM
    09/17: Destination Woodinville HM
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    7/2....2.01 miles walk/run on treadmill
    7/4....2.7 miles walk/run in park
    7/6....2.5 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/9....2.7 miles walk/ penguin shuffle run in park
    7/11..2.68 miles walk/ run on Harvard's football field
    7/13..3 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/15..1.51 miles run/ walk (mostly running :smile: ) on treadmill
    7/17..3.9 miles run/ walk in park

Did my own version of a sprint (or super sprint?) triathlon: run, dog chase, swim :smile: Ran about 25 minutes, then took Pan for a walk/ jog to the park where she wanted me to chase her while she sprinted around with a stick, then went for a swim with BF. Whew! Tiring, but lots of fun.

Goal: 35 + 2 for Black Toe Month
    19.49 done, 17.51 to go <--2 weeks to go...I might actually make it!

Possible upcoming races (!):
    8/14: Humboldt Park 5K
    10/16: Stride Against Violence 5K
  • DayLi77
    Options
    Thinking I might need to see a doctor soon. Any tips from people who've had runner's knee?

This. Go see the doctor - - physical therapy can be really, really helpful.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Somebody_Loved I agree with @cljoe7 . Don't hesitate to see someone for an injury like that.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »

Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Somebody_Loved I agree with @cljoe7 . Don't hesitate to see someone for an injury like that.

I figured as much but was trying to self-diagnose to avoid another doctor visit. I'll schedule an appointment - thanks for the feedback!
  • DayLi77
    Options
    Rest day today....

......but, I did get (provisional) permission to sign up for my first Full Marathon...The race will be on my wife's and my 10th anniversary, but it's THE race I want for my first full....My wife Rocks!

That's wonderful that she's so supportive of you!

• DayLi77
    Options
    cljoe7 wrote: »

Elise4270 wrote: »

I figured as much but was trying to self-diagnose to avoid another doctor visit. I'll schedule an appointment - thanks for the feedback!

I did that for too long and ended up doing way more damage than if I'd just gone sooner. I hear ya though - I hate going to the doctor!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    Options
    Rest day today....

......but, I did get (provisional) permission to sign up for my first Full Marathon...The race will be on my wife's and my 10th anniversary, but it's THE race I want for my first full....My wife Rocks!

That is simply awesome!!! :smile:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    July 1 - 5 mile run with 3 miles of hills....10 min pilates
    July 2 - 2 mi "trail running fail".....4 miles real running :-p
    July 3 - 2.5 mi hard run
    July 4 - Rest day
    July 5 - 3 mi easy run....1.5 mi walk with sprinting intervals....25 min strength/pilates/stretching
    July 6 - 4 mi run
    July 7 - 30 min indoor cardio, 30 min strength/pilates
    July 8 - 6 mile run with 2 miles of hill repeats
    July 9 - 5 mi run
    July 10 - Sick day
    July 11 - 2 mi awful run......40 min cardio/strength circuit type workout
    July 12 - 4 mi easy run followed by 1 mi of strides and .5 jog home = 5.5 miles
    July 13 - 5 slow miles
    July 14 - 20 min light cardio, 20 min pilates
    July 15 - 40 min light cardio
    July 16 - 8 mi run ***distance PR*** and 25 min pilates/strength
    July 17 - 4 mi pretty achy/tired run A.M./1hr40 min rollerskating P.M.
    July 18 - 20 min light cardio A.M./pilates and strength later in the P.M.

55.5 miles of 60 (all bonus miles go to our invalids) ***I'm starting to think I may actually hit 100 miles this month***

So, yesterday's run was pretty dreadful and I'm feeling like this is becoming a theme. I know I ran my longest distance ever on Saturday and probably shouldn't expect to feel super fresh on Sunday, but I'm just feeling like my legs are chronically and constantly tired/dead/achy/etc. I really want to hit 100 miles for July but after that I think I'll take a week or two and cut back to 3 runs a week or something. See if that helps.

Did the 4 miles before church and then after church I took a group of kids skating. That was 2.5 hours we were there and I ran my Garmin and would stop it when I felt I was taking a significant break, so Garmin recorded 1hr40 min of skating time, but for some reason when it went over to Strava, Strava picked up that I was active for 2hrs20 min. That's a big difference and I'm not sure what happened there but either way I rollerskated a lot and was worn out last night :-p

Busy day so I won't try to catch up on everything but I did scan through the posts :)

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree when I was having the same issue of my legs feeling tired run after run I did exactly what you said I backed off and ran 2 and take a rest day for a couple weeks, then I went 2 rest day, 3 rest day and it really made a difference. Many high mileage runners take that cut back week and you need it.