WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    allie GD is precious!

Joyce hugs and strength, glad he is out of surgery.

Enjoying my time off away from the bathroom renovation, will have to figure out exactly when to return to help finish up the job, which includes painting! My favorite pastime. But...next week is the democratic convention in Philadelphia which could make driving there a true nightmare. Will have to play it loose

Made a delicious coconut/lime grilled chicken tonite, yum!

NYKAREN
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Oh, Allie!

She does look like a princess!

She's a beauty for sure.

Re in TX
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Joyce~ Hugs to you and your strong Charlie. They took out my husbands gallbladder along with his bum liver, so our husbands have no gall whatsoever...:-) ((((hugs to you)))

Most doctors have the personality of a wet noodle it seems.... He probably talked the ear off your mans' gallbladder though... You know how doctors seem to like to yak when they are operating!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Cooked dinner at 4:30 pm today....kind of early, but I just wanted it out of the way... Fixed bacon for son, ham for husband with a mess of scrambled eggs (5) and toast. I had 3 Oreo cookies earlier, and a soda so I am done for the day.... Not really feeling the food today...

Becca
    Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Allie- your DGD is beautiful!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Becca, I graduated from nursing school in 1971. They didn't do open heart surgery back then. But for the last at least 10 years of my work, that was where I was working, in cardiac nursing. The unit i worked on was where they were admitted before surgery and then we hot them right out of ICU. We also had the heart attacks, cardiac cath, stent, a fib, defibrilators, pacemakers, etc. Anyway, one part of the new nurses orientation was to observe an ope heart surgery. The education department knew which doctors for these new nurses to watch. Well us old nurses never got to see one. I was teaching patients all about them and I had never seen one. So I decided on my day off I was going to do that. The only one I could see that day was DR Horrible Temper. I didn't care. I had already been really yelled at by his other brother Dr Really Horrible Temper about 5 years previous and he ended up apologizing to me. So I had to ask him first and he said yes. Everyone held their breath then I did. But he said yes and I got my instructions on where to show up and how to act. So I get in the room and the whole staff is still surprised they have an observing visitor. So they tell me his rules. He has his own radio station, classical, and once the patient is on the heart lung machine, everyone is silent. Sign language only. The only ones speaking are the surgeon and his female assistant. So the surgery is done and it is absolutely fascinating. He treats his assistant awful. But I decide that I was in there for a purpose. I wanted to learn. So first I compliment him very highly and thank him again for letting me observe his surgery but then I add the 'but'. Could he show me this. That guy showed me all sorts of things, colors of veins in the heart, the old ladies evidence of damage, all sorts of stuff. His staff was flabbergasted, as was the education staff and the staff on my unit. Now they never used this surgeon for new nurses but if any older nurses wanted to observe, they were welcomed into his surgery suite.

I am home for the night with my cat sitting right by my lap. Still going to go to bed early, just hope I can sleep tonight.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,727 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 11.06min, 13.9amph, 128mhr, 2.5mi = 68c
    rowing machine- 20min, 39aw, 105mhr, 2892 meters = 74c
    SPIN- 19min, 92r, 32w, 5g, 100mhr, 3mi = 78c
    ride gym 2 wk- 55.27min, 11.9amph, 118mhr, 11mi = 41c
    ride round parking lot-13.07min, 11.6amph, 121mhr, 2.5mi = 81c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.33min, 8.3amph, 155mhr, 2.5mi = 180c
    total cal 884
  • pipcd34
    Options
    grandmallie -purdyyyy cutieeeee!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :)Allie, beautiful granddaughter

:)Katla, before we go on a trip, Jake starts talking about packing about three weeks ahead of time...he doesn't always start, but he talks about it a lot. I start making a list as soon as I think of things I want to be sure to take with me. That helps me feel organized without making piles of stuff and getting myself confused. We have sets of "Sea Bands" that we wear on our wrists for motion sickness. They have worked for me on planes and ferries. I used Dramamine in the past but hated how sleepy it made me. I've never tried ginger.

:)Joyce, I hope this surgery gives Charlie a better quality of life. When Jake had his surgery they carefully monitored his defibrilator and pacemaker. I stayed in a hotel within the hospital so I could go back to my room to use the bathroom or just to get away from all the drama in his hospital room.

:'(Vicki, sorry to hear about your mom.

Jake's daughter and her husband and two little boys are supposed to come see us at the end of the week. They planned their trip to Vancouver Island and NW Washington months ago. Jake bought expensive tickets to tomorrow's Mariners baseball game once they'd assured him that the schedule was set. Jake and his daughter were supposed to go to the game for some Daddy and daughter time. They were supposed to get here yesterday and leave on Thursday. When Jake had to cancel going to the game because of his surgery, they changed their plans to go see their friends first and come see us arriving Thursday and leaving Friday. They seemed unconcerned that Thursday and Friday weren't good for us (I dance morning and afternoon on Thursdays and teach my class on Friday morning). After the last phone call, it appears that we'll have dinner together on Thursday and they weren't happy when we said it would have to be at 5:00. Their pending arrival had spurred me on to some serious house cleaning today doing all the chores that Jake hasn't been able to do since last month, so the house is clean even if they don't show up.

:) the dogs look great after their grooming appointment and Bernie is much happier after getting his nails trimmed.

<3 Barbie from overcast NW Washington
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    *snort*
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Went to dinner for DH bday. Had the strawberry pecan salad. YUM!! Needed more calories so ate some of his chocolate dessert. First dessert inn 3 months.
    DebbieTX
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Darn, I was writing a post and decided I wanted to go back and check somebody else's post and lost my post... grrrr

DH and I just got back from a vacation to British Columbia, which is really beautiful. I walked a lot, which seemed to help the swelling I have in one ankle that is due to a previous injury and recent hip surgery.

Now I need to get back to PT. I don't think I gained any weight on vacation. I'll check tomorrow.

Today I sat down at my desk and hardly moved for 8 hours. So I'm committing to three short walks tomorrow--one before I sit down to work, one at lunch, and one before my afternoon snack. I shouldn't be glued to my desk.

I was so happy to come back to this discussion and read how you're all doing.

Kim, Congrats on the new job! I hope your first day went well!

Karen in Virginia, Happy belated birthday! One day I hope to start with the kettle bell again.

Tracie, I'll let you know how my short walks work.

Cheri, not only can you grow day lillies in Texas, you should also be able to grow things like crape myrtles, which probably don't survive Ohio winters, and pink muhly grass. I've always wanted to grow the latter, but it's a bit iffy here in central Virginia.

I love seeing pictures of people's beautiful grandchildren.

KarenE

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Allie: Gorgeous DGD!

Miriam: Excellent NSV. You go, girl! I'm proud of you.

Joyce: Hugs to you for your stalwart care of Charlie and his challenges.

Barbie: Glad Jake is feeling better -- hope the visit with family goes well.

Heather: Meant to tell you I made your turkey burgers a couple nights ago. We loved them. Tonight we used the leftovers as filler in burritos. Will repeat this recipe for sure.

Katla: Your post reminded me I am overdue for a massage. I get them at the chiropractor's office, ideally every 6 weeks to help me overcome tissue injuries and pain from fibromyalgia.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Miriam- congratulations on a fantastic NSV! And what an inspiration to your DGD's and everyone else!!!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Going to try and go kayaking this weekend for the very first time. A little different exercise for a change.

Mary bought myself a set of kettle bells loving them so far.

Allie so happy for you.

Joyce glad DH is doing ok. Maybe you guys will finally get a health break for awhile. Hugs to both of you.

Barbie glad your DH is feeling bether also. Tough run for you and joyce.

Debbie in TX. You lucky chocolate eating girl. Living vicariously through you right now. Lol

Becca oreo's are one of my favorites. Have not had a soda for months. Sweet tea is my downfall. Love it.

Gotta run. Have a great night ladies.

Anne from Wisconsin

• fanncy0626
    Options
    Anne- you are going to love them! Let me know if you need any information!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Karen, next time you want to go back and look at something, just go ahead and post then go back and look. Then click on the tool looking button and edit. You can edit for an hour. Have had to do it many a time.

Barbie, he is on telemetry and so far rhythm is regular. Apparently there may be a problem with the absorption of his rhythm medicine with the gall bladder out but I had never heard of that before. His heart doctor is on the case.

Joyce, Indiana
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Joyce- I hope everything continues to improve for Charlie. He has been through so much in such a short time. (((Hugs))) to you for being such an awesome caregiver and wonderful wife!

<3

Mary from Minnesota