What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    They aren't always healthy. I know a few slim people who eat loads of crap. They don't seem to eat as much as regular people though so they may be deficient in nutrients and calories. Also, the ones I know, do not exercise at all.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    They aren't always healthy. I know a few slim people who eat loads of crap. They don't seem to eat as much as regular people though so they may be deficient in nutrients and calories. Also, the ones I know, do not exercise at all.

So regular people are overweight?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    When asked why her son was so skinny, the mother responded, "I don't understand. He's eating me out of house and home, and he can't put on a pound." The other mother said, "He eats like a horse. I've never seen anything like it. Can't figure it out."

It is beyond my comprehension that most of the posters here cannot acknowledge the obvious - there are naturally skinny people, particularly those under the age of 25. The word metabolism is in the dictionary for a reason. And for most of us, our metabolism slows as we get older.

You just can't consume the same number of calories at 50 that you consumed at 21 (assuming similar amounts of exercise) without the consequence of weight gain. This is sky is blue and grass is green stuff.

It's beyond my comprehension as well that people can't acknowledge that young adults are often much more active than adults even if they aren't doing intentional exercise.

And as mentioned many times in this thread, yes, metabolism slows as you age, but not to the degree that people here seem to think. The far bigger factor is becoming less active as you age.

Yep. Also, if they are growing, they will have higher metabolisms. Nothing surprising. And there's some degree of muscle loss on average -- that's why the calculators that estimate TDEE without BF% ask age, and the one that uses BF% doesn't need age.

In the late 70's and early 80's, the only people that went to gyms were muscle heads. Running/jogging was not common. Bicycles were for kids.

My assumption is the average 55-year-old does more exercise today than he or she did when they were 20. Been to a gym lately and see the older people?

And they don't eat more at 55 than they ate at 20. Yet, if you ask most of them, they probably say they can't eat what they ate when they were 20.

This was not my experience in the 70's and 80's. Free standing gyms were not nearly as common as now, but almost every rec center had one and aerobic classes were all the rage. Dancercize, Jazzercize, or just basic aerobics. Jogging was also very popular. Jane Fonda began releasing workout videos in 1982.

But maybe I'm just from bizzaro land because I'm 53 and since I learned out how ride a bike as a child, there has never been a time in my life when I didn't own and ride one.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Some people would consider this a genetic blessing, yes. But then they might have a hard time putting on that muscle they so badly want. So IDK. Genetics can only take you so far. I bet a ton of people have the best genetics, but because they're sedentary fools, they'd never know it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    When asked why her son was so skinny, the mother responded, "I don't understand. He's eating me out of house and home, and he can't put on a pound." The other mother said, "He eats like a horse. I've never seen anything like it. Can't figure it out."

It is beyond my comprehension that most of the posters here cannot acknowledge the obvious - there are naturally skinny people, particularly those under the age of 25. The word metabolism is in the dictionary for a reason. And for most of us, our metabolism slows as we get older.

You just can't consume the same number of calories at 50 that you consumed at 21 (assuming similar amounts of exercise) without the consequence of weight gain. This is sky is blue and grass is green stuff.

It's beyond my comprehension as well that people can't acknowledge that young adults are often much more active than adults even if they aren't doing intentional exercise.

And as mentioned many times in this thread, yes, metabolism slows as you age, but not to the degree that people here seem to think. The far bigger factor is becoming less active as you age.

Yep. Also, if they are growing, they will have higher metabolisms. Nothing surprising. And there's some degree of muscle loss on average -- that's why the calculators that estimate TDEE without BF% ask age, and the one that uses BF% doesn't need age.

In the late 70's and early 80's, the only people that went to gyms were muscle heads. Running/jogging was not common. Bicycles were for kids.

My assumption is the average 55-year-old does more exercise today than he or she did when they were 20. Been to a gym lately and see the older people?

And they don't eat more at 55 than they ate at 20. Yet, if you ask most of them, they probably say they can't eat what they ate when they were 20.

This was not my experience in the 70's and 80's. Free standing gyms were not nearly as common as now, but almost every rec center had one and aerobic classes were all the rage. Dancercize, Jazzercize, or just basic aerobics. Jogging was also very popular. Jane Fonda began releasing workout videos in 1982.

But maybe I'm just from bizzaro land because I'm 53 and since I learned out how ride a bike as a child, there has never been a time in my life when I didn't own and ride one.

47c8f752864d2c3178d57faf7bf4f084.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Ya, when I was a kid I used to ride a bike 8 miles round trip to tennis lessons. I had a bike into the 90s.

I was going to bring up aerobics as well. Who remembers the 20 Minute Workout? I always thought it was hilarious how they had the models attired and made up and that mostly men watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHMDCguI84
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited July 2016
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Ya, when I was a kid I used to ride a bike 8 miles round trip to tennis lessons. I had a bike into the 90s.

I was going to bring up aerobics as well. Who remembers the 20 Minute Workout? I always thought it was hilarious how they had the models attired and made up and that mostly men watched it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSHMDCguI84

Did they? I'd forgotten about it but I used to do the 20 minute workout now and then back in the day.

I can remember my mom working out to Jack Lalanne when I was a kid.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Yeah, I just said I disagreed and remembered the time period, but since you spelled it out I'll agree -- I definitely remember aerobics being a big thing, my mom did Jazzercize and my parents went square dancing (LOL), the first jogging boom was in the '70s (Royko used to make fun of it in columns, but people did it), my parents had bikes, as well as my sister and I, weights were more for boys than girls until later in the '80s IME, but they were hardly uncommon, people would of course do things like play tennis, so on. Plus, Richard Simmons.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Yeah, I just said I disagreed and remembered the time period, but since you spelled it out I'll agree -- I definitely remember aerobics being a big thing, my mom did Jazzercize and my parents went square dancing (LOL), the first jogging boom was in the '70s (Royko used to make fun of it in columns, but people did it), my parents had bikes, as well as my sister and I, weights were more for boys than girls until later in the '80s IME, but they were hardly uncommon, people would of course do things like play tennis, so on. Plus, Richard Simmons.

Yep. When I was a kid in the '80s, I woke up every morning at 6 am to do Mousercise on The Disney Channel. I also did the Get in Shape, Girl tapes with my sister. Then from around 10 am until dinner when we were forced to come in, we were outside playing kickball, tag, Red Light, Green Light, double dutch, and a multitude of other games. Meanwhile, my mom would do workouts on TV with Richard Simmons, Susan Powter, Gilad's Bodies in Motion, and Tony Little. We also had a YMCA family membership for a while because it was cheap. Now in my area it's over $800 for a year at the Y, plus a joiner's fee since the cost of living has skyrocketed and gyms are all the rage now.
  • BodyzLanguage
    BodyzLanguage Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I wish to gather every last one of them and deposit them some place far far away. Lucky *kitten*.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Yep. When I was a kid in the '80s, I woke up every morning at 6 am to do Mousercise on The Disney Channel. I also did the Get in Shape, Girl tapes with my sister. Then from around 10 am until dinner when we were forced to come in, we were outside playing kickball, tag, Red Light, Green Light, double dutch, and a multitude of other games. Meanwhile, my mom would do workouts on TV with Richard Simmons, Susan Powter, Gilad's Bodies in Motion, and Tony Little. We also had a YMCA family membership for a while because it was cheap. Now in my area it's over $800 for a year at the Y, plus a joiner's fee since the cost of living has skyrocketed and gyms are all the rage now.

I loved Bodies In Motion! It wasn't early 80's, so later than the timeframe in the post above, but still a fun workout. That Gilad dude was a hoot!

I'm going to have to see if those are available on DVD. That might be my workout this winter when I don't get outside much.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I used to think they were just genetically blessed whereas I would have to work at it for the rest of my life. What about you?

Based solely on the people I've known throughout my life, I'm kind of glad that I have to work harder at it.

I used to think those who didn't work as hard to maintain their physique was lucky. That changed 5 or 6 years ago. A former friend of mine is "slim" (actually looks anorexic, but that's genetics at play) can eat 4-5 times more in a sitting than I can and barely gains a pound. Because of that she used it as a license to eat junk all the time. A little while before our falling out she had to go through a medical exam for a job and ended up being turned down because in addition to malnutrition her blood pressure and cholesterol were out of control.

Although I didn't take seriously the impact my weight has had on my joints until recently, I've always been cautious about my sugars and cholesterol because I knew being overweight (not to mention family history) elevated my risk of several diseases. So some days yeah, I wish my metabolism was faster so I could enjoy a full cup of ice cream instead of half, but most of the time I'm glad I don't have the extra excuse to enable bad habits (besides which I discovered I love running, so there's another good reason to keep at it!).
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    What do I think of people who are naturally slim?... Lucky B*******s
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    They are evil
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can eat a lot and the scale barely move. Always been the same but I'm also very active...
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This thread has been really fascinating to me. I was called "naturally thin" for most of my life - when I was a little kid I practically had to run around in the shower to get wet. Except for two periods (one of which is ending now) I was always active but I didn't think about it because I wasn't "exercising," I was just moving a lot, walking and riding my bike everywhere. When things in my life interfered with my ability to be active, that's when I gained weight, and when those barriers were removed, it usually came off. This is an incredibly simplified view but I don't think anyone really wants to hear my life story here on the MFP forums so I'm keeping it short.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

Mousercise!