WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    ((((((Melanie)))))). I can't imagine. I am trying very hard to focus on the joy in life instead of all the craziness. It is the only way I can cope.

I'm preparing for a two-day conference where we will be doing a study on climate justice. I'm looking forward to it. Should be fun and interesting.

I am missing the gym this week. I'm going back in Monday. I believe my boob will be healed enough by then. I've graduated to a big bandaid, still wearing the sports bra, but I'm going to wear a regular bra for my conference. Went and got a mani-pedi today, got my toes painted a tulip red color and my nails a pale, natural pink.

Michele, I've ordered two yoga blocks and a strap in preparation of doing your beginning yoga DVD at home. Can't wait!
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @melaniemetoyer :'(<3 (((Hug)))

@Crowderd1 Welcome! What shall we call you! Be sure to click the pale star at the top of the page so you can find us again!

Katla Yay for good birthdays!

Re Hi crazy lady!

I am down 2 lbs since 2 weeks ago, 23 lbs since mid-April, but I "feel" fatter, isn't that weird?

Karen in Virginia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,842 Member
    Options
    Got all 60 minutes of water exercise in this morning. No lightning! LOL I got the shingles vaccine when I was 62. Have had shingles twice since then, two years after the vaccine and again last summer. Really irritating, very sore and itchy but I was told they were both milder cases and didn't last as long because I had had the vaccine. Also was told I would not have the residual nerve pain sometimes associated with shingles and that has proved to be true.

Saw pulmonologist yesterday and he believes the sarcoidosis is in remission just now. Not sure how long it will last but will just enjoy it. He is pretty sure it will eventually relapse and then he wants to put me on methotrexate which is an old chemotherapy drug developed in the 50s. That bothers me a bit so have been researching and will continue to do so.

Allie - Absolutely gorgeous DGD.

Miriam - I love that NSV!!

Katla - Happy, happy birthday. Will have to call my brother tonight as it is his birthday too. Hope you continue to enjoy your day.

Joyce - You and Charlie deserve a break after all you have been through. Take care.

Healing angels for all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    IremiaRe wrote: »
    Cheri – busy, busy, busy. Try to take a breath between moving yourself and moving your boy.
    Hugs for everybody!
    Re in TX

Thanks for the reminder to tend to thyself so you can tend to others. I am all over this and am not thinking down the road quite yet as it makes me anxious! One day at a time!

Cheri
    cooling off in NE oHIo after a wonderful shower
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,943 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Morning all! I splurged and bought an armband that holds my phone so I can listen to podcasts as I do my cardio! It was half price since Sports Authority is going out of business and I felt like It could be more motivating to listen while I move.

NYKAREN

:) I listen to audio books and podcasts (especially Gretchen Rubin) while walking my dogs (two to three hours a day) and while doing housework....congrats on making a great purchase

<3 Barbie

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 10.22min, 14.8amph, 138mhr, 2.5mi = 68c
    SPIN- 45min, 94r, 40w, 5-7g, 152mhr, 8mi = 257c
    ride gym 2 wk- 53.16min, 12.4amph, 145mhr, 10.9mi = 423c
    ride wk 2 hm- 53.40min, 11.3amph, 155mhr, windy!, 10.1mi = 475c
    total cal 1223
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Re! I wound up going for an hour ride because I started feeling stressed out again and that did help--also helped the calorie balance for the day. Will be hard to be away from the bike for a few days now. It helps to clear my head and is becoming my grown up way to play outside after supper.
    Melanie,there is just so much pain in this world; Baton Rouge is getting more than its share. Hope we can all come to grips with things and that this country can come together!
    Welcome to the new people and mousemom18 I will wave across the lake to you as I live in WNY.
    Betty
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Katla: Happy Birthday! May all your wishes come true without the trouble of candles and a cake. B)<3;)
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Katla Happy Birthday. Hope you have had a wonderful day.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,358 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. Yippee!!!! This is the absolute last time Vince has to take me to this class. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Kathy Smith Total Body Lift DVD

Etta - welcome! I like to do yoga, too, but as a compliment to other forms of exercise. Katla really likes it.

barbie - last year I was in the pool practically every day that I could. This year I'm bound and determined to get those weeds cleared out. The other thing is this driving restriction. See, if it were up to me, I'd do some things (like food shopping) earlier in the day, then pull weeds, then have time to go in the pool. But I'm at Vince's mercy (but not for long...) and he doesn't like doing things early so something has to give. We need food, I definitely want to get those weeds cut, so the pool gets bumped. Oh well...... this won't be forever

Karen in VA - I'm just getting the branches of the weeds out. With this red clay and it can be so hard that I'm not even trying to get the roots out. Vince says that over time with him using the tractor, they'll eventually decompose. I'm not really concerned about how the ground will look because they're under the power lines. We just need to maintain that property (keep the weeds cut) And if he keeps cutting any new growth, we won't have this problem recur. We used to have some wild raspberry bushes on this other part under the power lines that we cut down a few years ago. With him using the tractor fairly regularly, they haven't regrown. I could never do Jazzercise or Zumba -- way too uncoordinated.

Oh, Vince clarified for me that he's LOOKING INTO renting a skidsteer. Personally, it's a lot to cut once we get this area done. I would be willing to use the tractor on that part and Vince can do the front and back of the property. But I do NOT want that slope, I want to be able to use the tractor the whole way. And I'm sure I'll get my way....even if I have to have Jess convince him...I'm going to do it.

Mary - what really peaked my interest about the weights was the fact that your stomach is so flat. I've been doing weight for years now, I did Body Pump and now something like it down here and usually another day (I love Jari Love DVD's). But my stomach still has a "pooch". I honestly do watch what it is I'm eating.

katla - yes, I think Jess is pretty special. Happy happy birthday

exercised, then got our dinner ready so all I have to do is pop it in the microwave then went outside and worked for about 3 hours (don't worry - I had 48 oz of water, and I'm still keeping Coppertone in business). I was so careful not to cut too close to this tree. When I went to pull a vine out of the tree, the whole tree came down. Fortunately, it wasn't a sticker tree so I just dragged it over to the other lot. Tonight ceramics

Betty - have a wonderful time with dd!

NYKaren - I have an armband for my ipod and I never use it. Wish I'd known you were looking for one, I would have sent it to you

Meg - how wonderful of dd and that email -- precious

KJ - great job swimming. Slowing really helped, that's great.

be - you'll certainly gets lots of support here. From everything from exercise, ideas for exercise, even what goes on in our lives which affects us.

mousemom - welcome! Good looking pic, there

Cheri - Vince calls me "the eternal optimist" How nice that your son can move to Houston and be with you. Is he a CPA?

trulydivyn - welcome!

Becca - I always love reading your posts. They are always so upbeat

KarenE - congrats on not gaining

crowderd - welcome!

katie - enjoy!!

Michele in NC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,130 Member
    Options
    Re- you always make me laugh! I'm so glad that you joined our little group!

Michele - yes I do believe that the Kettlebell and progressively getting heavier weight on it is what has helped my stomach to tighten up as much as it has. I have no pooch! I don't even have a muffin top! And believe me I did before. You can add weight to the Kettlebell by wrapping wrist weights or ankle weights around the handle. That way you only have to increase by 1 pound at a time if you want to.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Katla: Happy Birthday!

Miriam: Way to go you plank-myster you!

Re: Sweating knees huh... I think most people sweat where there are creases. At least I do :)

Karen in Virginia: Congrats on those 2 lbs! I'll take any reduction in the scale :)

Part of my holiday was to take my cousin visit the stone house built by great grandfather in the early 1900's. I was very sad to see that someone had run into it with heavy farm equipment and damaged one corner. This house has stood in excess of 100 years..now it is just a matter of time before it crumbles since the impact has also damaged the structure of the other walls as well. A visit to the local museum said that the damage only occurred this spring.

Carey - Northern Alberta
  • debbierichardson7186
    debbierichardson7186 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Prayers and hugs to all. Congrats to those with victories!!
    I did enjoy the chocolate from DH bday.
    Was able to eat 1700 cal without pushing it today.
    DebbieTX
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Debbie, definitely get in the carbs (good ones) if you are doing any exercise and getting tired. If you try it for a week or two you can always tweak it from there. We always have to listen to our bodies. It’s just that some talk louder than others. winking-guy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Margaret, as always the flower pictures were beautiful and brighten my day. Thank you.

Re, congrats on a great job. Keep it up.

Katla, great going on getting the massage. I think they are wonderful and I so rarely get one. I need to schedule one soon!!

Allie, I can’t imagine when you would have time to take care of yourself as you are always taking care of others. Don’t be so hard on yourself, but if that is what it takes for you to give yourself a little attention, then I’m glad the pictures sent you the message. ((((Hugs))))

Janetr, you are doing great with your workouts! You know the only contest here is with ourselves so I’d say you are winning! Keep it up.

Terri, it was great to hear from you. I hope your DS does as well as he’d like at the tournament. We miss you.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.
    I’ve really fallen behind. Yesterday I had line dancing and then some shopping. Today I had a dentist appointment and a HOA meeting tonight. Tomorrow it’s back to the gym and hopefully catch up here. I miss you all when I can’t spend time with you.
    Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,130 Member
    Options
    <3
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    DJ (Janet #1) - Thanks, that means a lot to me. I'm so getting into it and having fun seeing what new things I can do that I thot would be impossible. When I first started the weight resistance training, I had to use a chair to carefully lower myself down and pull myself back up off of the floor when I would get down to do some of the ab workouts. The other day I was showing Jack one of my "new" moves and without thinking got down on the floor showed him and hopped back up. Then I said whoa, did you just see that? Jack said what? I told him I just got down on the floor and back up with no help and without even thinking about if I could or not.

I appreciate your encouragement and reminder that there is no contest here. I'm pleased with what I have been able to do that I've wasn't able to do before losing weight, and that makes me happy. :)

Janetr OKC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday Katla

Big hugs to Melanie

Boo to continous Fox news. I left about 5. All the doctors had come in, there was no reason for me to be there. I stopped at the cafeteria on the way out the door to get supper, Shouldn't have. But i did. I did walk down to the unit at the other end of the hall to see if I could find the nurse that took care of Charlie the first 2 days he was so critical. I am sure that woman saved my husband's life. I found out her name is Ari. I got a form to fill out to give her recognition. She is never on duty when I go try to find her. Well she must be an angel.

I watched 4 hours of America's got talent, judges cut. By using the DVR and fast forwarding through all commercials, you really have 3.5 hours or less. So now I know who is on the show starting next week. I have left American Ninja Warrior on the DVR since Charlie likes to watch it. He will more than likely go to sleep through it though. I don't know if he will go home tomorrow or the next day. I hope it is Friday or maybe Saturday. I think I am dreaming on that one. I just want to be as rested as I can. Sitting in an uncomfortable chair with lights out, curtains closed and Fox news on is not conducive to my health. Of course next week it will be even worse because the other convention will be on. I sure hope he is well enough to go down to his man cave. If he isn't, then I will go down there.

Love you guys. I agree on some ones sentiment. I like it that Re is here. I love her sense of humor and how personal she is. I love how so many of you are joining in this challenge and that Mary is back and getting people on the kettlebell again. Meg is back. Now we need Terri and Sylvia.

Joyce, Indiana where it is better temperature today