WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Well folks - after Tuesday's fiasco when DH went into a horrible slump after we decided not to book a cruise, I pointed out another one today in which we could have the same cabin as last time and it was a bit cheaper. He perused it at his leisure and said yes. IT'S BOOKED¡!¡! :drinker:
    Next August, which is often my slump season, and it's to the Baltic. That's including 2 days in St Petersburg. DH has been there before to work, but I haven't. Plus Copenhagen, 2 days in Stockholm, Tallinn, Helsinki, where I have been, but not DH, Amsterdam, where we both have been, but heh, and some place in Germany. Very excited and it will be lovely to be back in our old cabin. :bigsmile: Don't have to pay the balance until May, so plenty of time to save up.

Beth - I may be well travelled, but I get incredibly nervous every time I go away. Every time I wonder if it worth the agony. It always is. :laugh: Packing is my nightmare and getting to the airport. Ugh.

Love Heather
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    afternoon again, I caught a 1/2 hr nap and feel a bit better.. after that got the doggies out in the backyard to do there business to hot for them be on the hot pavement.. then went down to check on DFIL he was in the t.v. room with a couple of the other ladies, the 7-3 shift were waiting to go .. talked to his aide Shondra said he sorta picked at his lunch but ate the cake lol.. he seemed to be in better spirits and told him Tom would stop down, which he didn't grrrrr.
    there eating schedule is different than Cobalt.. breakfast isn't until 8:30 lunch at 12:30 and dinner at 6... as in most nursing homes there big meal is lunchtime...so feeding him breakfast might be iffy as on monday and tuesdays and fridays I have to be at work at 9.. but we will work something out.. with him being so close I can pop in anytime
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie so glad DFIL is going OK at new surroundings. Hopefully he will see it as his new home since it is so much closer to you.

Happy birthday Chris. Your MS loaned you ONE of his Porches????? One? You have a wonderful day and relish in the fact that your friends love you.

Had an emergency bag change last night around midnight. I put the bag on that I was hoping would be 'the' bag but as usual it didn't last very long. But there are so many things about it that I like. So I wen ahead and prepared one of the other bags. I said prepared because when it came to physically put the bag on, I handed it to Charlie and said, here put it on. He did it perfectly. Now to get him to do the rest of it like cleaning himself up when you have leaked, putting powder on, etc. But this step was a big one for him.

Heather, so sorry that nanny backed out. Is there any way that can be listed with her employer or was she hired personally by your son and wife?

It is thundering again. Joyce, Indiana
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Well I'm not a member...feeling left out :(

Lots doing with pool today...water delivery around noon. The crews been working since 7 need to get some water out to them.

GLo soon to be swimming on the North Shore of Ma

:) On my screen, it says "Member" under your name and the number of posts you've made....so you're really not left out.

On mine, some have member by their name, some do not. The ones I've noticed that do not are Glo, Janetr, and KetoneKaren.

This is the weirdest thing. I do not see number of posts by anybody's name.

I am reading from my iPad app. That might make a difference.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Marcelyn :s

Chris m1241.gif

KJ Yum! animated-insect-image-0122.gif

Sleep! so important...here are the OTC options I know about that might help with sleep: Melatonin, Magnesium Citrate, Glycine, Benadryl. I take Magnesium Citrate 400mg plus Glycine 3g at bedtime and it does seem to help. For some reason Melatonin gives me a slight headache the next morning, and Benadryl is drying (plus antihistamines enhance appetitie in many people).

Heather The flowers in your son's Brighton home are cheery and welcoming. Good choice, you! I am guessing you are secretly pleased that he needs you to come for a couple of days.

Have you heard all of the musical compositions all over the internet being composed from the 4-note tune David Cameron hummed as he Prexited? It is hilarious!

And congrats on the upcoming cruise...your husband makes me laugh, he was afraid he disappointed you, when really HE was the one who was disappointed. Men are such funny creatures! t5045.gif

Ho-Hum Alert - skip this if you don't want to be bored about my rambling on concerning the continuing care facility we visited today:smile: The continuing care community we visited today was very nice, very expensive, and very devoid of (visible) people...they do have a high occupancy and a long waiting list, so I am hoping the residents are all out volunteering and not holed up in their cottages and apartments. The exercise room had one person in it, the gorgeous salt water pool was empty, the woodworking shop was empty, the craft room was empty, the tennis courts were empty, the halls were nearly empty. Even the dining area was nearly empty at noontime, I think we saw a total of 9 people in the 2 different dining areas. No one was in any of the library areas or playing bridge or in the clubhouse except for one woman working a jigsaw puzzle in one of the libraries. What does that mean? Beth from Marketing was nice, knowledgeable, and took her time. She has been there since the facility opened in 1996. I felt she was honest and didn't try to gloss over answers. The facility was beautiful, and we saw all levels of living from independent living to skilled nursing. Not the memory care unit b/c it is too disruptive to the residents for visitors to be in & out. The cottages are nice and beautifully landscaped, though the bedrooms are a little small. The apartments have bigger bedrooms but less living area. And of course the assisted living areas are essentially one bedroom efficiencies. Skilled nursing care rooms are what you would expect, one room with an accessible bathroom. They are expanding the facility and will be adding some semiprivate skilled nursing rooms and two bedroom assisted living apartments for couples who happen to have matching needs.

Karen in hot and muggy Virginia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Well, I had the cyst removed from my breast today. The nurse said absolutely no weight training, walking (not even intense shopping), etc. for two weeks. Absolutely no grass cutting. I was planning to cut grass tomorrow morning. So, I asked the PA who was doing my surgery. She said ok to walking, no to grass cutting, and as to the gym, she said, "the doctor would say no, but knowing me and how much I love the gym, I would probably go if I felt like it." The nurse's name was Danielle. The PA was Hope. I asked them which one was going out in the lobby and telling Dave I couldn't cut the grass. Hope immediately said, "Danielle!" I ended up telling him myself. He said he would do it all, no problem.

Right now it is still numb and not bothering me at all. They said I would probably need some Tylenol to sleep comfortably tonight but shouldn't experience much pain at all. Hope showed me the cyst. If was quite ugly.
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    @drkatiebug Glad you got that ugly cyst up out o' you!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    ljdw99 wrote: »
    Well I'm not a member...feeling left out :(

Lots doing with pool today...water delivery around noon. The crews been working since 7 need to get some water out to them.

GLo soon to be swimming on the North Shore of Ma

:) On my screen, it says "Member" under your name and the number of posts you've made....so you're really not left out.

On mine, some have member by their name, some do not. The ones I've noticed that do not are Glo, Janetr, and KetoneKaren.

This is the weirdest thing. I do not see number of posts by anybody's name.

I am reading from my iPad app. That might make a difference.

It's weird for sure. I see member by all names, including mine.

Janetr okc
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    Options
    Drkatie - Good job getting that gone! Take it easy. :bigsmile:

Heather
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    MightyLolo – I get 7.5 – 8 hours of sleep, mainly because I have ‘sleep apnea’ and use a C-Pap. The first night I had it I slept 10 hours straight. If I take a nap, or feel very sleepy, I wear it so that if I fall asleep, I’ll not have any issues of ‘stopping breathing’. Scared my DDnL#2 last year when I stopped breathing for one minute straight. She was about to try to wake me up when I did so on my own. I went to bed right after that.

Lenora
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    thanks all~
    after Tom had dinner we went together to go down, wanted to show Tom his dads room and just give him a bit of a boost.. well let me tell ya he has his choice of the ladies... he was the only guy in the rec room with about 10 women lol..
    he seemed well and was glad to see Tom , and as we were leaving he was trying to converse with a woman next to him.. here is hoping this was the right move.. the staff at Cobalt all really loved him and are going to miss him, left one picture down there I will pick up this weekend..
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hello Brilliant Beauties!

I am stoked today…

I went to my Doc’s office and she told me the words that are like Music to my ears…

“Keep doing what you have been doing.”

Bad cholesterol – significantly lower
    Good cholesterol – increased although not QUITE as much as she would like
    BP excellent.

The whole reason I started in the food logging at MFP is because when I visited my Doc in February, she said I was Type II Diabetes waiting to happen… I can’t know for sure whether my insulin levels or insulin resistance has improved because the tests for that were not requested with the others – but, the Doc took some more blood and I will find out, soon.

If those numbers are better, also, I will be completely thrilled.

If I don’t have to make any significant changes to what I am doing – other than adjusting the exercise and calorie goals as I get slimmer – I have no doubts that I can make my goals. It may not be fast enough to suit me (But Daddy, I want it NOW.) but, it will happen. I am so totally excited.

Betty – I wish all I could remember about my Grandma was her shoes. One thing I remember about her was that one time, I got a B- in grade school – maybe 5th grade? – and she slapped me across the face because a B- was almost a C. She wasn’t a nice lady.

Barbie – Aw Shucks, Ma’am, I’m just doing my job… lol. It’s no big thing for me… we lived in Portland (OR) before we moved to TX – so driving in a large metro area is nothing new. Thankfully, DH does not offer any advice on the subject.

Pip – so glad Kirby is doing OK.

Cheri – So glad I can offer you a little amusement. Laughing burns calories, I am sure.

Michele – I had another NSV today. I had to rush out of the house to make to the Doc’s office on time today – and I left my lunch and my liquid behind… *sigh* Rather than cruise thru Fast Food – I dropped in at the local Tom Thumb to get some cold cuts and some diet Snapple… protein, liquid, no fries in sight.

Dawn – Less Coffee – more snuggling with DH… and maybe a little lifting… that plateau will be a memory in no time. Remember – muscle burns more calories… 24/7.

Kim – Fun cheeses are readily available at places like Whole Food… we used to go there every couple of weeks for a new “Cheese Adventure.”

Larissa – You are correct – the world is a better place knowing this thread is here.

Charleen – hope your efforts with Bugs Jr. workout. So glad the DD is assisting with the slaying of the Chocolate Monster. IF DD does walk to Texas, we will have a bed and a meal for her. :]

Mary – hope you have fun Antique-ing! I was going to say that I would never drag myself out of bed at 5:30 am to exercise… but, these days, I just might. Oh how things have changed.

Allie – sorry about your lack of sleep – that won’t make anything easier. I do hope your FIL settles in to the new place.

Carol – Great Job on skipping the fast food. Sorry things are so hectic for you. Once you get some of these pesky distractions off your plate… you can face the scale again. Hopefully you won’t be too far off the mark.

Pat – Peaches.. mmmm.

Chris – Happy Birthday! And MS is lending you “one of his Porches?” I am liking this guy more and more. Hope you enjoy the party!

Heather – OMG – smoked trout… I am jealous. Gratz on getting back to the writing. So nice of you to step in while DS searches for a new Nanny. You get a Grandma Gold Star. And WHOOT - another cruise!

NYKaren – Strong and Adaptable – perhaps we can come up with a nice tattoo design for that. I feel like it should be stamped on my butt.

KJ – ChardonnayGo – perfect. I will have to look at that when I get home. Ants – ICK. I will stick with my Turkey and Gouda cheese.

GLo – are you getting excited about the pool? I would be. And of course you’re a member.

Beth – Airplane seats were not built with fat or tall people in mind… I am glad you no longer have any issues with them. ((Hugs!)) Your little boy is becoming a man.

Janet/OKC – that picture is adorable. I do best on about 6 or 7 hours of sleep… alas, I don’t always get it.

Karen/VA – we keep trying to get my parents to consider going into “assisted living.” They are both 81 and neither is in stellar health… but, they are resistant to the idea. I guess they like things the way they are. But it’s a little worrisome for us. I am here to tell you, if I could afford the prices, I would move into one of those places RIGHT NOW, if only so my DH could 1) get a meal any time without me having to cook it, and 2) have some contact with humanity other than me. I love him, but the man about talks my ear off when I get home, cause he is largely house-bound.

Katla – Gratz on getting some sleep! I am looking forward to that on the weekend.

Lenora – Fame is a harsh mistress… drugs, depression, general tragedy. I don’t know if I would do well trying to be a star. Glad it isn’t a problem.

Linda/IA – enjoy the coming month with your daughter.

Miriam – you are so right… I have experienced the phenomenon of sleep deprivation and what it does to your appetite. When I have shorted myself on sleep, I can be RAVENOUS. It’s like my body is trying to overcome the “tired” by bringing in some extra calories for more energy.

Marcelyn – Not the best way to get a little extra burn. Hope you don’t see him, again.

Joyce/IN – nice… perhaps if Charlie takes a more active role in his situation, he will start to perk up. I know my man hates being dependent on me.

Kay – glad you are rid of the cyst. Now behave, and follow your doctor’s orders. It’s only two weeks…

Margaret *waves* Hope you are having a fantastic day.

Well, I had better get some work done.

Hugs for everybody!

Re in TX
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Hey all you MFP Veterans...

Can any one tell me how to change my goal weight? I had originally set 200 as my goal - because it seemed so far away at the time... but, now, I would like to change my goal to 183. 183 would be HALF of my highest weight... because I would love to be half the woman I used to be...

But, I haven't easily figured out how to change that magic goal number. Anyone know?

Please do let me know.

Thanks!!

Re in TX
  • KetoneKaren
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @IremiaRe

My Home
    Settings
    Update diet/fitness profile
  • IremiaRe
    Options
    Thanks, Karen!

I swear I looked in settings over and over but just could not see that one selection.

I didn't see it when I went back, either - but, since you said it was there, I looked again and finally my eyes didn't just slip by it.

Goal adjusted!

thanks,

Re in TX
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    it was a beautiful clear morning this morning so I rode into work. nice and sunny, I think I might ride home.