Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Do you have any trouble sustaining that level of carbs? (I guess you must not). The only thing I resent about LCHF is that I get petulant about limiting root vegetables. I like beets and carrots and parsnips. I also like edamame. I can live without bread and rice and pasta, they just give me heartburn anyway, but I get a bit pi$$y about limiting the others. I have settled on a higher carb intake as you know, having most of my carb intake in the evening so I stay relatively ketotic during the day. It's easy for me to eat mostly protein & fat for breakfast and lunch. Sorry if that's boring.

@KetoneKaren I find I am slipping upwards a bit lately. Summer produce is hard to pass up. My weakness is snap peas. I can easily eat waaaay too many of those. A few too many fresh strawberries too. And nuts. I can eat a lot of nuts. I try to stick to macadamia nuts but yesterday I had more than a cup of pistachios or lunch.

I don't miss most grains. I'm a celiac so eating good baked goods doesn't happen unless I make it anyways. I was never a big potato girl. I eat some carrots and parsnips but I can control portion size easily.

It's just the darn snap peas.

But I do miss Jelly Bellies. For health reasons, candy is out for me.

I like to eat later in the day too. My carbs are usually then too. Breakfast is usually coffee with coconut and a bit of protein powder. I often don't have any carbs until the afternoon.

We all do what works for us. :) It's hard to say no to your favorite veggies unless you are getting some positive returns for it. For me, I eat ketogenic for health reasons. I don't think I'll ever walk away from LCHF.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Thanks for your reply. I like nuts and sugarsnaps too. And berries. One little trick I found is dehydrating my own fruit. I can take a slice of home-dried peach or a dried cherry tomato out of the fridge (they keep better there) and be quite happy without the whole piece of fruit. Blueberries too. Anyway, I can sustain the 50-60g with relative ease so that is where I shall stay. I like this way of eating overall, I feel energetic throughout the day without crashing, and I am insulin-resistant, unfortunately. Three good reasons for continuing. Looking forward to reaching goal weight...
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

@KetoneKaren For losing it was set at 1420 kcal they are
    psulemon wrote: »
    @nvmomketo how much weight have you lost in the past month?
    Not much. My weight bounced up with an autoimmune issue, and as it resolves I am slowly cutting back a bit on my foods. Probably close to 2000kcal. I am down a pond or two this month.

ETA I am at a good weight now. About a size 10.

(I love autocheck). :) That being said I would love to lose 10 ponds. :Do:)

Congratulations getting down to a size 10! That is my happy size. Right now I am a size 12 at 5'7" and would be absolutely thrilled to be a 10 again!

I just started keto this week and am finding that I am starting to feel terrific (after a few carb craving days and a bit of fatigue). But now I have been sleeping better the last couple days after years of insomnia and am not feeling as bloated. :)
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @kimondo666 Is it possible you are confusing ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis? It is a very easy thing to do, lots of people mix those two up.,,

(carnitine deficiency) can cause liver dysfunction.
    Another condition on the list, beta-oxidation defects, can cause the liver to lack the ability to oxidize fatty acids. "An inborn metabolic error at any point along this pathway can lead to a devastating catabolic crisis (i.e., coma, death) in a patient fasted or placed on a [ketogenic diet]."

OF course if you have healthy liver then it's safe.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    @kimondo666 Is it possible you are confusing ketoacidosis and nutritional ketosis? It is a very easy thing to do, lots of people mix those two up.,,

(carnitine deficiency) can cause liver dysfunction.
    Another condition on the list, beta-oxidation defects, can cause the liver to lack the ability to oxidize fatty acids. "An inborn metabolic error at any point along this pathway can lead to a devastating catabolic crisis (i.e., coma, death) in a patient fasted or placed on a [ketogenic diet]."

OF course if you have healthy liver then it's safe.

I don't know what carnitine deficiency has to do with ketosis. Isn't that more common among vegans? Do you mean if you have a carnitine deficiency that it will be harder to get into ketosis?

A fat oxidation defect will make ketosis harder too.

Probably not the best diet choice for those people.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo the conditions referred to (carnitine deficiency and beta-oxidation disorders) are rare metabolic disorders that are usually diagnosed in infancy that would be made worse by ketogenic diet...the only instance I am imagining that a baby would be placed on a ketogenic diet would be if he/she had seizures...then it would be a disaster if the metabolic syndrome hadn't been diagnosed before starting the diet. While it is possible to have similar secondary disorders that might not be diagnosed until later in life, these conditions are rare, and not applicable to our discussion, although interesting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    @nvmomketo I know you have probably posted this, but what are your net grams?

@KetoneKaren For losing it was set at 1420 kcal they are 18g carbs (5%), 118g fat (75%) and 71g protein (20%). Net carbs? I don't know. Maybe half or two thrids of my total carbs. It's all from veggies, nuts, and whatever there is in eggs.

I am not often trying to lose anymore so I usually eat a good 500-1000 kcal more now but the percentages are probably about the same. I guessing my carbs are now maybe 20-30g, fat is 120-140g, and protein is around 80g... Just a guess.
    Not much. My weight bounced up with an autoimmune issue, and as it resolves I am slowly cutting back a bit on my foods. Probably close to 2000kcal. I am down a pond or two this month.

Based on that info, you probably have a TDEE closer to 2250. When you calculate it, you really need to eliminate the data from the first month or two (especially on low carb/keto). You do it because of the sweeping changes in diet. So you have reduction in glycogen, sodium modification with effect water weight, and reductions in waste within the GI system. This is why it's not uncommon to see 10-20 lb losses in the first month or two during a weight loss journey. In fact, I have seen as much as 30 or more lbs for those who are morbidly obese. That is why I start looking at weight loss post the first two months as you will have a greater baseline of reality.
  • Aquapunch
    Aquapunch Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started keto diet. They say you need to eat under 20 gram of carbs a day. I have been very figilant but my best is 37 grams. Is this low enough. Its been a week and i havent lost any weigth as i work out quiet a bit. But i feel thinner and i think i am losing fat. Any insight.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Aquapunch wrote: »
    I just started keto diet. They say you need to eat under 20 gram of carbs a day. I have been very figilant but my best is 37 grams. Is this low enough. Its been a week and i havent lost any weigth as i work out quiet a bit. But i feel thinner and i think i am losing fat. Any insight.

Buy the keto strips for testing your ketones. They will show if you are in ketosis.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Aquapunch wrote: »

It varies from person to person. Under 50g daily carbs is typical "low carb" from what I've seen. But some eat under that and some are able to eat above.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    @nvmomketo I know you have probably posted this, but what are your net grams?

@KetoneKaren For losing it was set at 1420 kcal they are 18g carbs (5%), 118g fat (75%) and 71g protein (20%). Net carbs? I don't know. Maybe half or two thrids of my total carbs. It's all from veggies, nuts, and whatever there is in eggs.

I am not often trying to lose anymore so I usually eat a good 500-1000 kcal more now but the percentages are probably about the same. I guessing my carbs are now maybe 20-30g, fat is 120-140g, and protein is around 80g... Just a guess.

Based on that info, you probably have a TDEE closer to 2250. When you calculate it, you really need to eliminate the data from the first month or two (especially on low carb/keto). You do it because of the sweeping changes in diet. So you have reduction in glycogen, sodium modification with effect water weight, and reductions in waste within the GI system. This is why it's not uncommon to see 10-20 lb losses in the first month or two during a weight loss journey. In fact, I have seen as much as 30 or more lbs for those who are morbidly obese. That is why I start looking at weight loss post the first two months as you will have a greater baseline of reality.

My TDEE may be higher than anticipated. I doubt a 42 year old sedentary, woman who has hashimoto's and insulin resistance has a TDEE above the the average. I suppose it is possible.

My first month or two were almost the same as my third month. The first month I lost maybe a couple of pounds of water weight along with around 10 or so lbs of fat. The second month was around 10 lbs, and the third month was around 10 lbs. My weight only slowed to 5 lbs a month when I got below 160 lbs (started around 190) and I was well within a normal BMI. I started eating more at that time and weight loss slowed to 5lbs in a month.

My weight loss trend was surprisingly linear until I hit around 157 lbs. There's a picture of me in my profile at that weight. If you look you can see I am no longer overweight by that point. But I lost quickly until then.

I've also gone out out of ketosis. It's only a pound or two (max.) of water weight that comes back in my case. I'm sure it varies between people.
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the good comments.