Disadvantages of Keto diet

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    @RicMackie OK, now you've got me curious so I will chime in here and ask how you log fastidiously but don't count? Please elaborate. I am on a LCHF plan, but I weigh, measure, and log everything (well, OK, most days I do - once in a blue moon I estimate instead of weigh - in the spirit of full disclosure). It is working for me, I have lost 21 lbs since April and have energy, don't feel hungry too often, etc. But I don't trust my hunger cues enough not to be anal about the weighing & measuring the vast majority of the time.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    In my experience, people tend to eat less frequently on low carb diets which creates the deficit. When I was calorie counting as my primary focus it was a constant balancing act trying to free up calories at one meal so I could have calories to try and satisfy the constant need/compulsion to eat.

For example: This morning my breakfast was 625 calories. 302 of those calories were from added fat. Three eggs cooked in butter over 300ish grams of vegetables (broccoli, onions and garlic) that I sauteed in coconut oil. There would have been no way I could have afforded to "spend" that many calories on breakfast before low carb because I needed a large pool of calories available in order to eat throughout the day. It was a constant balancing act of robbing Peter to pay Paul basically.

Eating low carb, I won't be hungry again until dinner which will be as much calories of meat, vegetables and fat as I could possibly want to eat at any one meal. Satisfying, high volume, high fat (i.e. calorie) meals less frequently is where a lot of low carbers end up naturally following their hunger cues.

I find it pretty easy to count calories. I plan my meals in advance, so I can see before the day begins exactly how it works out. Then I just eat like that.

I found it quite easy to overeat even when I had tried keto - particularly with cheese, which I can consume in almost limitless quantities. So if I were to do keto, I'd effectively be doing both keto and calorie counting anyway. I might as well just calorie count and be done with it.

That's understandable. I'd raise my carbs in a heartbeat if the normal appetite and health benefits I experience went away. Four years later and periodically I still raise my carbs up a little bit higher but so far no luck.

ETA: Calorie counting is easy and oddly enjoyable for me too (eating LCHF). Until it isn't, if that makes any sense. I just can't sustain it indefinitely for whatever reason.
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @RicMackie OK, now you've got me curious so I will chime in here and ask how you log fastidiously but don't count? Please elaborate. I am on a LCHF plan, but I weigh, measure, and log everything (well, OK, most days I do - once in a blue moon I estimate instead of weigh - in the spirit of full disclosure). It is working for me, I have lost 21 lbs since April and have energy, don't feel hungry too often, etc. But I don't trust my hunger cues enough not to be anal about the weighing & measuring the vast majority of the time.

Easy. I just log everything. I don't count. The calories are there though because I do log. What I've said - I think - it that I don't really look at calories. I don't "count" them. But I do log everything. The calories just fall where they will. But they do end up being rather consistent. What I do count is "net carbs". I find that if I eat until satisfied, and snack responsibly when I feel peckish, my calories stay lower than they ever were and I am not worried about 50 or 100 calories here or there. And, yeah, I am quite anal with regards to weighing everything. I grab a handful of nuts or something and set it on my scale and then log it. If I am out and about, I take a pic with my phone and log the best I can when I get home. But log, I do. :-)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You're counting Calories, then. Not on purpose, exactly, but you're doing it.
  • RicMackie
    Options
    For me, it was easy to stay below my calories when i was doing low carb it was effortless. I cant say the same now that i'm eating moderate/normal carb, it takes a lot more juggling, editing and adding and taking away this and that in my diary to make everything fit. It's definitely more work now, and my hunger and cravings have returned and weight loss has become a battle once again :(

Sounds like you're saying.... Things were easy. You were doing great eating low-carb. Then you stopped, and things are harder. ;-) Come back......we're waiting! :-)
  • RicMackie
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Ugh. OK, if that's how you want to look at it. Point is, I can eat 1300 or 2500 calories in a day - don't care. Call it what you will. Good luck on your journey.
    :-)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    RicMackie wrote: »

Easy. I just log everything. I don't count. The calories are there though because I do log. What I've said - I think - it that I don't really look at calories. I don't "count" them. But I do log everything. The calories just fall where they will. But they do end up being rather consistent. What I do count is "net carbs". I find that if I eat until satisfied, and snack responsibly when I feel peckish, my calories stay lower than they ever were and I am not worried about 50 or 100 calories here or there. And, yeah, I am quite anal with regards to weighing everything. I grab a handful of nuts or something and set it on my scale and then log it. If I am out and about, I take a pic with my phone and log the best I can when I get home. But log, I do. :-)

Okay, so you measure and log, but don't pay attention to the calorie count per se. And then if you start gaining, you have the log to review to see if there is a trend or obvious reason why you have gained. Yes?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, it was easy to stay below my calories when i was doing low carb it was effortless. I cant say the same now that i'm eating moderate/normal carb, it takes a lot more juggling, editing and adding and taking away this and that in my diary to make everything fit. It's definitely more work now, and my hunger and cravings have returned and weight loss has become a battle once again :(

Sounds like you're saying.... Things were easy. You were doing great eating low-carb. Then you stopped, and things are harder. ;-) Come back......we're waiting! :-)

2 words, Keto breath. My husband said my breath smelled like poo, there was NO kissing and every time we spoke I had to hold my hand over mouth even from 10 feet away, which didnt really help! I was constantly chewing gum and mints which only masked it slightly. I was too scared to talk up close to people when I went out.

I have always been meticulous with oral hygiene, and people who had bad breath were a massive turn off for me! I did low carb for 4 solid months hoping the breath thing went away, but it never did. If i was single and never left the house i would so go back to this way of eating as I loved every thing about it, other than that one stinky problem..
  • jahillegas_51
    jahillegas_51 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    If you like to eat carbs and enjoy things like ice cream, cake, etc., then keto is a disadvantage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Close thread...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

Ugh. OK, if that's how you want to look at it. Point is, I can eat 1300 or 2500 calories in a day - don't care. Call it what you will. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome to calorie counting, where all of us have pretty much that same approach. While I will call 1300 calories lunch, I dont' care if I eat 2300 or 3300, I still document when I am cutting.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Welcome to calorie counting, where all of us have pretty much that same approach. While I will call 1300 calories lunch, I dont' care if I eat 2300 or 3300, I still document when I am cutting.

Yeah I still calorie counted when i did low carb. By counting carbs and/or entering your food here in your diary you are also calorie counting by default. Whether one chooses to pay attention to that calorie number is up to them..
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    megan_h26 wrote: »
    So, is there any scientific argument about disadvantages of Keto diet?

No. In fact, it's prescribed for several conditions, including epilepsy and some types of diabetes.

I don't do it anymore, but I tried it for a month or so a long time ago (I like trying things like this -- it's always educational). The first 3 days are tough, but that's true for just about anything. After that, it's shockingly easy. You rarely get hungry at all.

Planning ahead is a good idea. As others have mentioned, it's easy to get stuck eating the same things over and over again and getting bored. (This is pretty much what I do anyway, so I didn't have this problem. But others seem to.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

2 words, Keto breath. My husband said my breath smelled like poo, there was NO kissing and every time we spoke I had to hold my hand over mouth even from 10 feet away, which didnt really help! I was constantly chewing gum and mints which only masked it slightly. I was too scared to talk up close to people when I went out.

I have always been meticulous with oral hygiene, and people who had bad breath were a massive turn off for me! I did low carb for 4 solid months hoping the breath thing went away, but it never did. If i was single and never left the house i would so go back to this way of eating as I loved every thing about it, other than that one stinky problem..

My husband gets that breath when he is losing weight. It comes from deeper inside than just the mouth. It makes a kiss tough to enjoy. But he is not keto, or even low carb. He's probably on the high end of moderate carbs or even high carb. It goes away when he isn't losing.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

My husband gets that breath when he is losing weight. It comes from deeper inside than just the mouth. It makes a kiss tough to enjoy. But he is not keto, or even low carb. He's probably on the high end of moderate carbs or even high carb. It goes away when he isn't losing.

I've been eating at a deficit since 2014. The breath only appeared when I was doing low carb, and disappeared when i upped my carbs, while having the same amount of calories.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I've been eating at a deficit since 2014. The breath only appeared when I was doing low carb, and disappeared when i upped my carbs, while having the same amount of calories.

It's good that you figured it out.... Good for your husband. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Options

It's good that you figured it out.... Good for your husband. ;)

lol I've snuck in a few low carb days here and there, and he notices straight away. So frustratingly annoying!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    dykask wrote: »
    I could count calories. That would require me to eat a lot of low-fat foods or quantities that were not satisfying to me. But I'd lose weight. My fear, up front, was that once I'd hit my goal, I couldn't stick with it. Dunno, didn't really try.

Satisfying is one thing, quantities is another. If you really follow a vegan diet you'll can eat a lot more than almost any other approach. May not be worth it, but carbs are in general low calorie foods. Even sugar is only 4 kc/gram. It goes down from there.

That would be a disadvantage of a keto diet. If you system is messed up so you don't feel full, it would be much easier to over eat on a high fat diet. Any diet can contribute to weight gain if you eat too much.

I didn't say that! :anguished:
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you like to eat carbs and enjoy things like ice cream, cake, etc., then keto is a disadvantage.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can easily make these things keto and they don't trigger a binge & food coma like high-carb "real" cakes and ice cream.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I can easily make these things keto and they don't trigger a binge & food coma like high-carb "real" cakes and ice cream.

Have you ever had a steak coma... best thing ever!!! I get one every time I go to texas de brazil or korean bbq. So much better than any crappy cake coma (which is mainly fat btw ;))
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Have you ever had a steak coma... best thing ever!!! I get one every time I go to texas de brazil or korean bbq. So much better than any crappy cake coma (which is mainly fat btw ;))

TdB is amazing by default, but a beautiful, almost surreal haven to one who eats lchf.