Options

Replies

• pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    pdxwine wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I checked out Halo Top today. After reading the ingredients, I put the pint back in their freezer. Too many things in it that I had never heard of.

Do you not internet?

Oh well. It's cool. More for the rest of us. :)

Hey no need to be snarky. Just because there are ingredients that I am not interested in? :p

"Erythritol can cause side effects such as diarrhea, headache, and stomachache in some people and/or when consumed in large doses."

To be fair you said you hadn't heard of the ingredients, not that you had a specific one you wanted to avoid.

I looked it up, after I posted. Now I really do not want to consume it. ;)

• rsb1023
    rsb1023 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've tried the birthday cake and lemon they are ok but they are not like real ice cream. The lemon left an aftertaste and they are no where as good as Ben & Jerry's or any other full fat ice cream but for the calories they are not that bad. I agree Yasso Greek Sea Salt Caramel bars are better.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I've only ever eaten the chocolate peanut butter AZ flavor - have to add powdered peanut butter and chocolate nibs to it to make it worthwhile. Now you all have me intrigued by Halo... Will have to make a Wegmans trip! Thanks for sharing!
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Now I'm tempted... do these REALLY taste good, or do they just kind of taste close enough to real ice cream to be bearable? I feel like people exaggerate the yumminess of "health" foods just to convince themselves they're as good as the real thing. For instance - the chocolate brownie Quest protein bars taste nothing like a real brownie, and everyone who told me they did (and tempted me into buying a case) are lying jerk-faces. lol

I wouldn't call it good when comparing it to real ice cream, but at least the chocolate satisfied my chocolate ice cream craving enough to not buy a smaller one for higher calories and end up disappointed that there isn't very much to it. And that unlike AZ, at least it does seem to have flavor to it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

Strawberry is pretty good too!

OOH I don't think they had that kind but I will be on the lookout!!

Strawberry is amazing. It's my new fave.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top! I was so let down by Arctic Zero (except the brownie blast, that stuff isn't half-bad) and went in expecting sadness. OMG. So so good. I'm in love with Birthday Cake. <3
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For those of you saying that _________ flavor is awesome/great/wonderful... have you ever had real ice cream?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Having given Halo Top a decent trial (I've gone through two pints: the Birthday Cake and Lemon flavors), I'll give it a meh. Although it has a decent mouth feel, it has that crumbly chalky texture that all low-fat frozen desserts do, and the stevia/erythritol sweetening has that peculiar sweetness profile where it comes on strong and lingers longer than sugar would on the tongue.

I personally would rather save my treat calories for an occasional dish of full-fat, high quality ice cream -- which is about the same cost as the Halo Top.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Halo Top is really good for what it is, but like Arctic Zero, it isn't ice cream. It is an ice cream like frozen dessert.

I think you can do just about as good for cheaper going with Breyer's Sugar Free line.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    For those of you saying that _________ flavor is awesome/great/wonderful... have you ever had real ice cream?

I have. :) But, truthfully, I would rather have more of the "not quite" ice cream than a little of the "real" ice cream because I'm only going to want more of the real ice cream anyway.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    all I have to do is smell sugar alcohols and Im basically spending all day riding the porcelain express haha. Luckily I didn't really like them anyway... for the calories though amazing.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Nearly every day for almost 40 years. And I think Halo Top tastes just as good. And for the amount of protein I get and the calories, I wouldn't go back.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options

I make my own ice cream (former pastry chef/culinary chef of 10 years) while it does not compare on quality/texture/taste it is a pretty damn good alternative for the calories. Id eat 3 bags of slightly off taste/texture potato chips if it was the same difference that halo top has for regular ice cream.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just might have a date with some Halo Top tonight. The walk to WF will help me get some more steps in.
  • socalrunner59
    socalrunner59 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just bought the Chocolate Mocha Chip--that stevia makes it way too sweet for my taste. Texture is more like ice milk than ice cream.

Is the vanilla overly sweet?
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of you Americans for having Halo top and Arctic 0. We don't have anything like that in the UK. The least amount of calories you're going to find in a pint of "ice cream" over here is around 5-600.