Finally found something that works

Options
1234568»

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I have lost a lot of weight eliminating almost all refined sugar and grains from my diet.However, that's only part of the story.

Ultimately, it comes down to a net deficit in calories expended vs consumed and in order to do that I also monitored how much I ate using MFP and exercised more in order to achieve the caloric deficit necessary for me to lose weight at a reasonable rste over time.

So, IMHO to say that it's just a matter of "no sugar and no grains" is just too simplistic.
  • Kobz27
    Kobz27 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    FWIW, I have lost a lot of weight eliminating almost all refined sugar and grains from my diet.However, that's only part of the story.

Ultimately, it comes down to a net deficit in calories expended vs consumed and in order to do that I also monitored how much I ate using MFP and exercised more in order to achieve the caloric deficit necessary for me to lose weight at a reasonable rste over time.

So, IMHO to say that it's just a matter of "no sugar and no grains" is just too simplistic.

My schedule didn't allow much time for exercise before, but as I enter into semi retirement next week I'll be adding a ton more exercise so I'm exited to see the added benefit of it will be. Calories in/ Calories out still applies but the slowing of my metabolism hasn't happened like it would with a moderate carb intake diet would have by now. I don't really count calories too much. I eat a higher fat diet, I eat a little slower, and walk away when my body tells me I'm full.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Just FWIW, since we all seem to be adding our own 2 cents worth of experience - I have lost almost 100lbs since October 2015. I have not cut anything out of my diet, and I havent set foot in a gym. See how one size doesnt fit all? But I would be willing to bet that if you were still calorie counting, you would see that you are consuming less and burning more.
  • kelsey_frame_666
    kelsey_frame_666 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as no sugar no grain diet? Sounds so boring. What do you eat?
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    After 30 days, it doesn't feel restrictive, it feels liberating. And it is very practical for a person who wants to lead a healthy lifestyle.

And what is more effective?

I feel this way too. I'm at 12 weeks, down 17 pounds... have 60 to go. It's an adjustment, but it's amazing. I am doing keto, so nearly the same thing... NSNG. Nice job on the weight loss!!
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Geez! People on here are sooooo sensitive about diets and food. I don't know if it's food withdrawals or what but these boards have become more scary than helpful or fun. I read the OPs first post and did not feel like he was talking down to me or saying anyone was dieting wrong. Yet the following responses to his first post were very snarky and "know-it-all-ish" in nature. So I can understand the OP starting to get a little defensive. He was sharing what has been working for him and was immediately told "you are wrong. It's impossible." If you can't tolerate other people sharing on here what works for them then maybe you shouldn't be on here. So what that he called it "the key." If it's the key for him and that's how he looks at it and refered to it that way that's his own opinion. I don't take offense. There are bigger problems in the world. I'm sure he originally came on here thinking he was being helpful and slowly was torn apart about it by the same people who go on every thread and knock down anyone who does anything other then watch their calories. I've only been on these boards for a short time but have been shocked at how rude and cut throat people are to others on here. It's very disappointing. I came on here to learn and get help but am actually afraid to start conversation and ask questions. It's not the way it should be. And don't tell me, "he shouldn't say it's the key, because that's misleading people...yada yada." It's still what works for him and obviously other people and maybe someone will learn and want to research it more or try it out. It's not like he's telling people to hack off their limbs to lose weight. These boards exist for all of us to share ideas and tips and to hopefully learn from each other. I don't get why there is so much anger and hostility in many of these discussions.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    It's so funny to me how angry and defensive people get when someone has great results eating any other way than CICO. If it works for them and is not detrimental in any way to a persons health, why such anger?

It's going to be CICO no matter how you put it. You cannot defy science. Cutting out sugar can decrease calorie consumption, and what do we call that, guys? Oh, that's right, CICO.
    *golf clap*
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Kobz27 wrote: »
    Also, there's more than sugar to worry about in candy. I'd be worried more about the processed chemicals they put in there.

Also, explain why obesity rates have increased since the government put grains on that awful food pyramid.

Which chemicals in candy do I need to be concerned with and why?

Obesity rates have increased because the number of people consuming more calories than they burn has gone up. Period.
    No one has ever answered this question, as well as "which toxins are you detoxing from"?. You'll always hear crickets when these questions are asked.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Hot damn, how did I miss this thread the first time around?

2qxc389.jpg

(all facetiousness aside, I'm glad you found something that works for you, which is great, and you seem a lot happier/less defensive in your recent post. But the arguments from June are still valid, relating to the fact that it is not necessary to adhere to such a restrictive diet to lose weight. Other users are simply concerned that you may give newbies the idea that this is the ONLY way to lose weight.)
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hot damn, how did I miss this thread the first time around?

2qxc389.jpg

(all facetiousness aside, I'm glad you found something that works for you, which is great, and you seem a lot happier/less defensive in your recent post. But the arguments from June are still valid, relating to the fact that it is not necessary to adhere to such a restrictive diet to lose weight. Other users are simply concerned that you may give newbies the idea that this is the ONLY way to lose weight.)

I think that's a cop out some people use to be able to attack others for their different dieting practices. Like they can explain away their snarkiness and attitude by saying they are just trying to protect others from being mislead. Can we not think for ourselves? I didn't feel at all that he was implying it was the only way to diet, just another option that works for him.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yay, a Friday "mean people" post!
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I applaud the OP. People with normal health may scoff at the idea of eliminating sugars and grains. They haven't suffered from ulcerative colitis. I have for the past 12 years. Those who don't know, it's essentially ulcers in the colon. There are a lot of problems, but the worst for me was having to go to the bathroom 10-12 times a day and having about 30 seconds to go when the feeling hits. Medications really didn't work so I just dealt with it. Missed many days from work when I had flare ups. They say there's no cure. I gave up sugar and grains and every symptom went away. I haven't had any issues since. None whatsoever. It may be restrictive but it's by far less restrictive than dealing with colitis. I feel 10 years younger and have lost 34 pounds. All this in two months of restricting my intake of sugar and grains. I won't tell anyone they should eat that way but I will never go back to eating cakes and donuts and bread.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    lutzsher wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    Joe Rogan's an intelligent comedian. He is not a credible source of information regarding diet and nutrition. Neither are you.

If the restriction of something (in your case, sugar and grains) works for you, then do it. That's your business. What's not your business is telling others that this method is the key. It's not. At best it's an indirect method of reducing calories consumed, while missing the big picture, and at worst it's a method that will lead many to binge after succumbing to cravings and end up worse than when they started.

Sugar appears to be coming back as the Restriction Du Jour, perhaps dethroning gluten after a long and prosperous reign. Sugar is in a lot of foods, and our brains need a steady stream of glucose to function. The sugar in fruits, fructose, gets converted in the liver to glucose and some other things we need. Long and complicated story made short, sugar is not the enemy and it's not something to be avoided.

The key, of course, is balance (not NSNG). Sugar shouldn't be avoided, nor should it be consumed in excess. The same goes for fat, for carbohydrates, for saturated fat, for water, for oxygen, and on and on. When you walk the path of balance, you'll see for yourself how misguided these extreme notions are, and how they don't serve you as well as they claim. You'll start to understand that you can have ice cream here and there, and Twix, and Oreos, and pizza, and all the foods people who don't know any better label as "bad" (in moderation) while steadily losing fat.

You may have been "into reading and practicing fitness and nutrition for the past 15 years" but you have much more to learn.

Edit: typo

yea this pretty much sums it up...
    If restricting works for you then yes! that is wonderful you found a productive way to be your own version of healthy. HOWEVER it is not the key, especially to the average healthy adult. Diabetes and other insulin issues thats another topic for another time. 30 days it quite the accomplishment to stick to a restrictive diet so you should be proud. I persoanlly would rather die then live my entire life with out the following... Crusty artisan bread like baguettes, pizza, pasta, donuts, flour to bake with, cookies, cereal, oats, candy, rice (risotto, fried rice, sticky rice) ect ect. Could i do it for a while yea anyone can do anything.... is it vital for weightless or health HELL NO.

HELL YES! I have not consumed grains for 4 years (personal choice due to GMO concerns and celiac husband), dairy for 5 years (severe allergy) & sugar has been pretty much non existent for the same period. Not only do I feel better than I have in my life but my focus and energy is greatly improved. I never feel restricted,there is still lots of food choices. I still feel that I have a large variety in my diet.
    You can't paint everyone with the same brush, this IS the key for some. I don't see where anyone is making the claim this IS the key for everyone.
    Do what works for you & be proud of everything you accomplish, you deserve congratulations for your efforts!

il stick to my quote that restrictive diets ARE NOT vital to health and wellness. that in no is saying that it doesnt work... again... i said it is not vital- adjictive meaning absolutely necessary or important; essential. for a third time for fun i said it is not vital for health and wellness.

Do you think refined sugar is good for your health and wellness?
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Joe Rogan's an intelligent comedian. He is not a credible source of information regarding diet and nutrition. Neither are you.

If the restriction of something (in your case, sugar and grains) works for you, then do it. That's your business. What's not your business is telling others that this method is the key. It's not. At best it's an indirect method of reducing calories consumed, while missing the big picture, and at worst it's a method that will lead many to binge after succumbing to cravings and end up worse than when they started.

Sugar appears to be coming back as the Restriction Du Jour, perhaps dethroning gluten after a long and prosperous reign. Sugar is in a lot of foods, and our brains need a steady stream of glucose to function. The sugar in fruits, fructose, gets converted in the liver to glucose and some other things we need. Long and complicated story made short, sugar is not the enemy and it's not something to be avoided.

The key, of course, is balance (not NSNG). Sugar shouldn't be avoided, nor should it be consumed in excess. The same goes for fat, for carbohydrates, for saturated fat, for water, for oxygen, and on and on. When you walk the path of balance, you'll see for yourself how misguided these extreme notions are, and how they don't serve you as well as they claim. You'll start to understand that you can have ice cream here and there, and Twix, and Oreos, and pizza, and all the foods people who don't know any better label as "bad" (in moderation) while steadily losing fat.

You may have been "into reading and practicing fitness and nutrition for the past 15 years" but you have much more to learn.

Edit: typo

This.

There is so much pseudoscience in this thread.

As someone soon to be certified as a Biomedical scientist reading this nonsense really makes me weep. haha.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    kendahlj wrote: »
    I applaud the OP. People with normal health may scoff at the idea of eliminating sugars and grains. They haven't suffered from ulcerative colitis. I have for the past 12 years. Those who don't know, it's essentially ulcers in the colon. There are a lot of problems, but the worst for me was having to go to the bathroom 10-12 times a day and having about 30 seconds to go when the feeling hits. Medications really didn't work so I just dealt with it. Missed many days from work when I had flare ups. They say there's no cure. I gave up sugar and grains and every symptom went away. I haven't had any issues since. None whatsoever. It may be restrictive but it's by far less restrictive than dealing with colitis. I feel 10 years younger and have lost 34 pounds. All this in two months of restricting my intake of sugar and grains. I won't tell anyone they should eat that way but I will never go back to eating cakes and donuts and bread.

I don't think people arguing against there being no need to restrict a large number of foods in order to lose weight are talking at all about restricting because of a health condition.

Those are clearly 2 very different things. one is necessary (such as removing foods you are allergic to, intolerant to or that aggravates a medical condition) and one is not (removing an entire food group to lose weight).

Glad to hear you've found something to ease your colitis, it's a horrid condition.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh this thread. What is going on here? I'm not gonna lie...I feel and look better on minimal sugar and grains. It's not in my head. But I do understand that weight loss,maintenance, and gain comes down to CICO.