Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 you should sign up on the wait list!! That way another team won't get cut. :smile:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Nikion901 you should sign up on the wait list!! That way another team won't get cut. :smile:

I'm alread in another challenge that runs through Sept 9th. :)
    It's called 'Overhaul for Fall'
  • nanknits
    nanknits Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @pinkstarberry - CONGRATS on the 30 Lbs! And good luck with the gym. I'm considering joining one this fall, once our rains return and I won't want to get outside and move like I do now, but I'm intimidated. Let us know how it goes for you!

@vikinglander - Best of luck solving your hip/knee pain.

And my Saturday Success - I was out walking every day this week, three 1.5 mile walks, three 2 mile walks, and one 3 mile walk. I need them to combat my dietary excesses the last couple days! First was our campus BBQ on Thursday, then a snacky day on Friday (mostly on the leftovers from the BBQ), and tonight's dinner was a whopper calorie-wise. I need to find a lower calorie choice that still satisfies that burger urge! o.O

• lay011
    lay011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Saturday Success: After quitting my workout classes a year ago (and consequently gaining 30lbs) I finally decided to get serious about getting back on the health/fitness wagon. This week I walked almost 3 miles two days, 1.5 mile one day and over 2mi today. I also contacted some pilates instructors today so that I can start getting some personal attention and gaining some core strength in addition to just walking. PS my body was REALLY sore just from walking. I am back into really really obese territory (not just merely obese) and I really felt the sting of those long walks. That being said I feel really optimistic about getting long walks built into my routine. Hopefully I can walk off some of that weight until I feel well enough to do more intense exercises.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 how do you find the different challenges? I think I found the amazing race one because someone posted about it here.

Hopefully this isn't s stupid question. I'm still relatively new to MFP.

Also does anyone ever win those sponsored challenges? Or is it a way for other companies to collect our information?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @nanknits -- I also had an overage today due to a barbecue. I didn't even eat all that much, but pulled pork, pasta salad, and a couple of mojitos add up quickly. :( As far as burgers, do you like ground turkey? I love turkey burgers, and found a trick to keeping them moist: just add a tablespoon of a low calorie italian dressing-- I like kraft roasted red pepper. I then eat it on a sandwich thin instead of a big burger bun. It still has all the satisfaction of a burger without as many calories.

@trinati2001 -- Go TEAM 3!! Glad you shared the waitlist link here. I saw the post in our team thread and was planning to do the same.

@taburbey --Great job-- that is the key to success. Too bad I seem to have forgotten that lately. :neutral:

@niki-- WHAT!?!?! We have to actually DO the videos?!?! ;) LOL! Oh, and thanks for reading my article! :smiley:

@vikinglander -- Hope you get some answers and an action plan from your neurologist. It's so frustrating when injuries and ailments stall us out.

@pinkstarberry -- Yeah, I just use mine to encourage me to move more, so I guess as long as it does that. it's serving its purpose regardless of accuracy. :smile: Congrats on hitting the 30 lbs lost mark!! Woohoo! I know it can be intimidating to join a gym, but, really, most people are focused on themselves. The only interactions I've ever had with other people there have always been positive. The most die-hard gym rats will respect that you're there trying to better yourself. I would caution that they are more likely to judge your gym etiquette than your physique, so it's a good idea to ask about the rules-- written and unwritten-- when you sign up.

Saturday Success:
    Hmm, that's a tough one b/c I'm not super-proud of my eating or fitness this week, so I'm going to go with something non-health related. My success is getting my article published in Huffington Post. I've always been a "secret" writer. I write a lot, but rarely ever share it with anyone. Occasionally, I'll post an excerpt from something I've written on facebook, but I'm a pretty private person so I've never, ever tried to get anything published online before. A friend read something else (a short paragraph) I'd posted on FB and said, "You should start a blog." Having no ambition or idea of how to promote a blog of my own, I thought, "Well, I'll just google how to get published online." I was actually surprised by how much I found about the topic, but the simplest advice I found was to email my article directly to Arianna Huffington, so that's what I did. :smile:

General Goals:
    1. Edge flowerbeds
    2. Make doctor appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 5/12
    Run at least 9/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    216 k done/ 784 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner + work out
    Mon-- walk gunner + work out
    Tues-- walk gunner + work out
    Wed-- walk gunner + work out
    Thurs-- walk gunner + work out
    Fri-- walk gunner + work out
    Sat-- walk gunner + work out

• Nikion901
    Options
    @Nikion901 how do you find the different challenges?

Also does anyone ever win those sponsored challenges? Or is it a way for other companies to collect our information?

On the Community page ... messages ... there is a topic Challenges. Keep an eye on that set of threads and when new challenges start you will find information there from people who want to start a challenge. The ones I've been in usually go on to invite you into the group after you post a reply to the thread that you want to join.

Sorry, I know nothing about your other questions.
  • luckylaw
    luckylaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I screwed up so badly today. It's 8pm and I only have 845 calories. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat to boost the calories before bedtime?
    I know I have a lot to lose but I definitely don't want to starve myself.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    luckylaw wrote: »
    I don't know how I screwed up so badly today. It's 8pm and I only have 845 calories. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can eat to boost the calories before bedtime?
    I know I have a lot to lose but I definitely don't want to starve myself.

If you are not hungry, I would not worry about it too much, afterall, one day too high or too low will not make or break you. However, if you want to increase the calories .... it depends on what macro you need the most. I've read that carbs a few hours before bed help you to sleep better, so how about some oatmeal with fruit and milk ... that will give you 300-400 calories. Or a peanut butter and banana sandwich or half a sandwich.
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Luckylaw-
    I know this Probably sounds bad but I have the same amount of cal eaten today as you.
    I'm just not hungry it's too hot. I know I'm taking in good calories when I'm eating.
    Not going to force myself to eat anything if I'm not hungry because I'm not starving myself its just too darn hot here in Alabama.
  • vschwgrt1
    vschwgrt1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There is a large body of material that a few days of low calorie count does not harm your goals. It's like the new articles about the " always eat breakfast" mantra. Making your body run while in the negative of calories forces it to take it from fat reserves. And I don't know about you, but I have plenty of that.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Vschwgrt1

My diabetic nutritionist said if I'm not hungry then don't force myself eat ,as long as at my other meals I'm eating good/healthy choices
    I'm a type 2 diabetic with hypertension I monitor my blood sugar and blood pressure daily.
    I check my sugars throughout the day so I'm confident that I am consuming enough calories so if I decide not to for one meal than I'm OK.
  • luckylaw
    Options
    Thank you all for the info and good suggestions! When I'm eating like I should, I typically run a few hundred calories lower than it says I should. I did not eat all my meals today and I know I can't make this a habit. I wish there was an app that could give me recipes based on what's missing in my nutrients. That would be awesome!
  • MrsFlint2013
    MrsFlint2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-In:
    Food wasn't all that great. After the crazy move, hubby and I were so exhausted. There was a lot of takeout going on. On a good note, our meal plan is now consistent with dr orders, so here we go!
    On an even better note, I got a compliment yesterday. People are slowly noticing the weight loss. Makes me happy! I haven't really broadcasted about our 4 month journey. :)
  • Nikion901
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I wish there was an app that could give me recipes based on what's missing in my nutrients. That would be awesome!

Not certain exactly what you mean. Are you talking about your micro-nutrients like vitamins and minerals? If so, the way you get a good balance of those is to eat a variety of foods from all the food groups. Plenty of variety in the veggie and fruit family of foods, moderate amounts of meat and dairy and small amounts of nuts on a daily basis so you get a good variety and balance over the course of the week. ... cause it ain't what you do today, it's what you do consistently day-to-day that supplies your body with the nutrients it needs.

You can look at the USDA nutritional recommendations for charts and stuff. Actually, I've seen some pretty interestiing nutritional guidelines from other countries as well ... Canada, United Kingdom, Austrailia ... that say much the same thing as the USA guides do.
    s
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    A friend brought me a HUGE piece of her strawberry birthday cake (complete with fresh strawberries and whipped cream icing) and although I meant to toss it, I ended up eating the whole thing! Uuuugh, but it was sooo so good! Now I'm over for the day by almost 500 calories......:(
  • luckylaw
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I wish there was an app that could give me recipes based on what's missing in my nutrients. That would be awesome!

Not certain exactly what you mean. Are you talking about your micro-nutrients like vitamins and minerals? If so, the way you get a good balance of those is to eat a variety of foods from all the food groups. Plenty of variety in the veggie and fruit family of foods, moderate amounts of meat and dairy and small amounts of nuts on a daily basis so you get a good variety and balance over the course of the week. ... cause it ain't what you do today, it's what you do consistently day-to-day that supplies your body with the nutrients it needs.

You can look at the USDA nutritional recommendations for charts and stuff. Actually, I've seen some pretty interestiing nutritional guidelines from other countries as well ... Canada, United Kingdom, Austrailia ... that say much the same thing as the USA guides do.
    s

Basically, I wish I could put into an app that I need a recipe with 35g protein, 20g carbs, 20g fat, etc. and it tell me what to make. On good days I'm eating what I should in terms of what I choose, but I'm always low on all my micronutrients and calories. By a lot on some days and I'm eating three meals and at least two snacks. I just can't seem to get it together, but I'm trying.

I've got a lot of weight to lose, I'm afraid that if I cut my calories too low now, it'll be impossible to get low enough when my body plateaus. I'm trying to keep over 1500 and failing. MFP says I need 1970.