Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is my first bento box. On the bottom is mixed field greens and deviled eggs. On the side of that is a lite ginger salad dressing and pumpkin seed. Above that a tomato and cucumber salad. Last but not least green beans, beets and Japanese purple sweet potato. What do you guys think?

Those devilled eggs look awesomely delicious!
    hula_gal wrote: »
    If I did not have to make lunches for my children everyday I would make bentos for myself. I use Planetbox lunch boxes for my children which are bento style and have separate inserts you can buy to further separate food. It has completely changed how my children eat and they eat all of their lunch now.
    Why can't you get yourself a box of your own and make your lunch at the same time with similar fillings? I know at least one person on this thread who makes a bento for herself, the hubby and the kids all at the same time.

Monday lunch looks like most of my lunches from last week, but with bulgogi sauce on the meatballs so I'm not going to bother posting a pic. Today's though, is veg (pan grilled zucchini and red pepper on spinach that was cooked with garlic and ginger), pork loin and rice with a shiitake seasoning and an umeboshi.
    pdaij0siyrto.jpeg

• missthang11205
    missthang11205 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    hula_gal wrote: »

"This is my first bento box. On the bottom is mixed field greens and deviled eggs. On the side of that is a lite ginger salad dressing and pumpkin seed. Above that a tomato and cucumber salad. Last but not least green beans, beets and Japanese purple sweet potato. What do you guys think?"

I love the idea of putting deviled eggs on top of salad greens!

Thanks. At first I just had the eggs but I wanted it to look pretty. It was really yummy. I mixed the pumpkin seed and ginger dressing with the salad. It was surprisingly filling. That and the cucumber tomatoe salad were all I ate and I was full.
  • missthang11205
    Options

This is my first bento box. On the bottom is mixed field greens and deviled eggs. On the side of that is a lite ginger salad dressing and pumpkin seed. Above that a tomato and cucumber salad. Last but not least green beans, beets and Japanese purple sweet potato. What do you guys think?

Looks great! So...gotta ask. What's a purple sweet potato? Does it taste different than an orange one?

Thanks. Firstly I love purple and all purple food. But yeah, it's sweeter than yams, at least to me. Give them a try.
  • missthang11205
    Options
    Those devilled eggs look awesomely delicious!

Thanks. I haven't made them in a while. They came out pretty good. I need to start cooking some more.

• mangrothian
    Options
    Thursday bento. Today is a long run day, so extra protein. Meatballs in tonkatsu sauce, a bunny egg that looks like it has myxo, veg (cabbage, broccoli, carrot) and rice with tunamayo furikake.
    qc0yc2bhd7ic.jpeg
  • missthang11205
    Options
    mangrothian that looks so pretty and yummy!
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bjwk7ir2wt5u.jpg
    HarvestLand - Boneless Chicken Breast, 125 gram 132
    Generic - Jasmin Rice, Raw, 128 g 448
    Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared, 0.5 cup 55
    total 635
    seaweed and the rice sprinkles - cant spell the f word
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »

Bahahahaha!!! Seriously though, your lunch looks super tasty!
  • missthang11205
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    bjwk7ir2wt5u.jpg
    HarvestLand - Boneless Chicken Breast, 125 gram 132
    Generic - Jasmin Rice, Raw, 128 g 448
    Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared, 0.5 cup 55
    total 635

Looks awesome
  • aussie_girl_del_runner_5
    Options
    a bunny egg that looks like it has myxo,
    hahaha

• laoighse
    laoighse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @colejkeene They're so pretty! I have the same box as your orange one, but in pink. It was my first Bento box, and even if it cracks I don't think I could bring myself to throw it out. You've also made me want to make kinpira again.

I'm sure your husbands workmates are just jelly if the best thing they can pick on is your husbands lunchbox. My husband likes my Bentos, but he and his co workers actually work from an office in our garage, so I don't make him one.

Also, do you you make your own furikake, or do you buy it? There's only a few pre-packaged ones I can eat since I'm msg sensitive (lips swelling up like you've have collagen for a few hours is NOT a look I go for).

I also had a look through the allthingsforsale site, and I might do some ordering from there, but I'll have to be careful not to get carried away. Quite a few of the things that I've seen there I can get for less in my local Daiso store. Those moustache picks though... <3

• laoighse
    laoighse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a three tier tiffin box from sostrene grene. I wish I had also bought the two tier one for shorter days. I have a tier at 10.30, 12.30 and 3. The first is usually my breakfast, oatmeal or rice with yogurt and fruit, or sometimes eggs, the second is dinner left overs or a freshly made salad, the last is my afternoon snack, often cheese, fish sticks, something quick to eat that will keep me till dinner time. It's really nice to have most of my day's eating decisions pre made.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    a bunny egg that looks like it has myxo,
    hahaha

Del, I'm glad someone here was able to giggle at that. I kinda forgot that myxo'd rabbits were only an Australian thing.
    laoighse wrote: »
    I have a three tier tiffin box from sostrene grene. I wish I had also bought the two tier one for shorter days. I have a tier at 10.30, 12.30 and 3. The first is usually my breakfast, oatmeal or rice with yogurt and fruit, or sometimes eggs, the second is dinner left overs or a freshly made salad, the last is my afternoon snack, often cheese, fish sticks, something quick to eat that will keep me till dinner time. It's really nice to have most of my day's eating decisions pre made.

I've seen some awesome 3 tier boxes, but your issue is the reason I haven't bought them. I just add in snack boxes when I do want them, and leave them out when I don't. Otherwise I'm inclined to always fill them with food that I may not really need.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    furikake- thanks f word buy it.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I don't have a bento box yet. I am just a bento lurker. I check this thread often. I did make some sushi inspired lunches this week and wanted to share. Not bento but different. I need to get a box I think I could pack more food. LOL! soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/07/masonable-mondays-1-sushi-inspired.html
    This is crab stick, cucumber, avocado, furikake and rice crackers.
    California%2BSushi%2BMasonable3.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I don't have a bento box yet. I am just a bento lurker. I check this thread often. I did make some sushi inspired lunches this week and wanted to share. Not bento but different. I need to get a box I think I could pack more food. LOL! soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2016/07/masonable-mondays-1-sushi-inspired.html
    This is crab stick, cucumber, avocado, furikake and rice crackers.
    California%2BSushi%2BMasonable3.jpg

I love how you're storing the avo and rice crackers with the mason jar; that's awesome. I was trying to figure out how the Avo was defying gravity, then it clicked.

I think the taller mason jars would actually be a really good way to store California or rice paper rolls, providing you don't pack them so tight you can get them out again.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    @mangrothian Thanks! I have found that chop sticks help a lot to fish things out of the jar. I packed dumplings this way and it worked great. It was so good I needed a bigger jar.
  • mangrothian
    Options
    Maybe I'll have to get a mason jar and try a vertically layered bento. Hmmmm....
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I realized I didn't have a lunch plan this morning, so it was frozen bento stash to the rescue this morning. Jasmine rice, shrimp and edamame. No fancy box today because I didn't have the time to thaw everything to get it in nicely.
    59m9oq3zff4w.jpg
  • Ginny218
    Options
    yesb35yxps51.jpg

Family Gourmet - Banana Chips, 0.33 cup (30 g) 170
    Raisins - Snack Box, 1 oz 90 22
    Great Value - Apricots, Dried, 6 pieces (40 g) 103
    Gremmway - Baked Carrots, 0.5 cup 29 7
    Generic - Baked Sweet Potatoe, 33.25 g 29
    Starkist - Kid's Creations Bacon Ranch Flavored Light Tuna, 1 pouch 2.6 oz (74g) 110
    total calories 531