I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Options
I get that weight lifting is a must if you want to tone up, but the way I keep seeing people demand that this is a must for everyone on every post is baffling me!
What if you dont have the time or money to go to a gym, what if you dont enjoy lifting?
For example I have lost around 50lb over the last 12 months and recently started to actually enjoy running, and I am working hard at getting more efficient at it.
But people keep telling me that I "need" to start lifting heavy, why though? Why is my running that I enjoy not a good enough working progress? I cant say that id want to spend the little spare time I get when im not working inside a gym, am I the only person on here that thinks like this...

Replies

• Derek_McC
    Derek_McC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just keep running. I love(d) running. I would still be running if not for these metal hips. (No relation to running) I am starting to lift weights again because that is just part of the whole "transformation" thing I am working on right now.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    It just seems to me the way some people put it across on posts that your doing everything wrong if you're not lifting ! I see it every time I come on here lol

The only time I see people being told to lift heavy is when it fits the goal they want to achieve. If they want to change body composition they are advised to find a lifting program. If they want to run a marathon they are advised to get on a solid running program. If they want to lose fat they are advised to eat at a deficit. It's all about the goals.

This was posted while I was typing. Yes. This.

Although, as I mentioned, even runners can benefit from resistance training. Not a "must" but a good idea. Now, if I could figure out how to balance running (and swimming and biking in my case) with lifting, I'd be all set.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Strength training is essential if you want to improve body composition. A progressive overload-based weight lifting program is a simple approach. It's more difficult to progressive overload for body weight training, but it certainly can be done and there are a few programs out there.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

OP, I think this is the overwhelming reason why you keep seeing this thing about heavy lifting being of such dire importance :smile: MFP's culture is rather corporeal, to say the least.

Seeing as how myfitnesspal is geared toward the body, I'd say the culture is appropriate.

OP, lifting is essential for certain fitness/aesthetic goals. It is not essential for all fitness/aesthetic goals. There are body aesthetics that are only attainable with lifting. Though the "look good naked" is purely subjective and shouldn't be used to mean that you won't look good naked without a progressive lifting program.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the heavy lifters can be quite evangelical but with reason, as mentioned variously above.

I don't lift heavy but I do lift. I'd say moderately. And bodyweight. I have adjustable dumbbells, a mini stepper and workout at home mostly with Fitness Blender. I do think resistance training is good for a multitude of reasons and always recommend it even as a cross training supplement. You will likely have less injuries and improved performance in all other fitness endeavours if you incorporate some sort of strength training. But it doesn't have to be in a gym and it doesn't have to be "heavy".

If you just can't bear any of it, stick with the running, it has its own set of benefits, not least that it's the thing you like and are committed to.

So you do you boo and we'll do us!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Weight training will change your overall body composition. If you are ok with the way you look, then don't lift. You don't have to lift heavy. You can do circuits and calisthenics. I switch between heavy lifting, and more endurance based weight training. I believe in being well rounded physically.