I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Replies

• mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

I think this is part of the problem right here, you're telling the OP to run if she likes to run, but then telling her that in your opinion if that is all she is doing that she wont look good naked, and that the 50lbs she lost only means she is going to look good in clothes and I'm not sure what type of message that is telling people. I'm also not sure where this whole notion came from anyways, because there millions and millions of people who look good naked no matter what size they are, or what they do health wise.

HERO!!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited July 2016
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

I think this is part of the problem right here, you're telling the OP to run if she likes to run, but then telling her that in your opinion if that is all she is doing that she wont look good naked, and that the 50lbs she lost only means she is going to look good in clothes and I'm not sure what type of message that is telling people. I'm also not sure where this whole notion came from anyways, because there millions and millions of people who look good naked no matter what size they are, or what they do health wise.

It's a pretty accurate message if you're looking at actual body composition and not a feel good message. There are people on here that want one or the other, and it's a hard line to walk to do both (feel good and honesty). Losing weight (particularly large amounts of weight) while only doing cardio or worse, no exercise at all, will result in significant muscle loss (assuming the person has any to begin with) and fat loss. By strength training and careful diet with plenty of protein one can lose mostly fat and retain (even gain) muscle. The "toned" body that many would like comes through this approach. Otherwise, it's quite possible to end up "skinny fat" with little muscle mass and more than a healthy amount of fat even at an otherwise "healthy" BMI. People certainly have different priorities, but this is reality.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    People can give their opinions all day, but if you're not into it, you're not compelled to do it. It's useful for many, but I am wary of declaring that there is a particular thing that ALL people must do.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member

No I'm not

I'm simply stating that being the "right" weight for your height does not mean that you have the body you want...that scale weight is the smallest part of the physique battle, whatever your desired physique is (and we all have different body aesthetics)

In general losing 50lbs will mean you weigh 50lbs less not that your body composition will be what you aspire to ...if you want specific shape at a lower weight it is generally created through musculature on top of bone structure with an element of fat

When you read progressive resistance do you read "lifting weights" only because that would be misunderstanding the term ...progressive resistance can be achieved through running (intensity, speed, incline) ...progressive resistance can mean more reps at lower weights
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Do whatever exercise that makes you happy. The end. :wink:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I'm primarily a runner too but I've seen enough compelling information to include strength training as part of my program and I have (grudgingly at first) started lifting heavier stuff (using the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program) and am enjoying the results.

Strength training (which can be either light weights and/or body weight exercises) can make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

Do you have to lift heavy? No..........

I'm totally with you that resistance training is nice for various reasons and fits a variety of goals, what I disagree with is that it has to be heavy lifting.

What the hell does "lifting heavy" even mean? The only place I've even seen the term is on MFP. At least other than "go heavy or go home" posters in the walls of my alternative gym. Reps of even 20-30 will build muscle. Not everyone needs to be going for 1 rep max lifts. Okay, I know what people mean by it, but it's a silly phrase IMHO. I'm hoping it goes the way of "tone."

I think "heavy lifting" is a phrased used by people who want to counter the high rep/low weight lifting suggested to many people (especially women.) It's not a helpful phrase, though. I guess it's more catchy than helpful.

I think that everybody, save for a very few people, can benefit from resistance exercise. Bodyweight, suspension systems, dumbbells, barbells, resistance bands, whatever. Getting and staying strong helps you out in your everyday life. Yes, I like the "looks" benefit of lifting but the long term health benefits and ease-of-life are what primarily drove me to wanting to protect and gain muscle when I first started.

However, if you absolutely hate the thought of doing any resistance exercise...don't do it. Who cares what people on the internet say you have to do? Your choice to do or not do an activity has no effect on me and what I do has no effect on you so just keep on doing what makes you happy.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    I get that weight lifting is a must if you want to tone up, but the way I keep seeing people demand that this is a must for everyone on every post is baffling me!
    What if you dont have the time or money to go to a gym, what if you dont enjoy lifting?
    For example I have lost around 50lb over the last 12 months and recently started to actually enjoy running, and I am working hard at getting more efficient at it.
    But people keep telling me that I "need" to start lifting heavy, why though? Why is my running that I enjoy not a good enough working progress? I cant say that id want to spend the little spare time I get when im not working inside a gym, am I the only person on here that thinks like this...

What I see mostly is thread after thread of new people who hate doing cardio but think they need to do massive amounts of cardio to lose weight. They dread spending hours plodding along on a treadmill or exercise bike. Many people new to fitness have no idea that they can obtain the goals and bodies they want by starting a resistance training program with linear progression and no cardio at all if they don't want to. They comment (women mostly) they don't want to be "bulky" or overly muscled. There is a lot of misinformation and lack of knowledge (outside a place like this) of the benefits of resistance training.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I get that weight lifting is a must if you want to tone up, but the way I keep seeing people demand that this is a must for everyone on every post is baffling me!
    What if you dont have the time or money to go to a gym, what if you dont enjoy lifting?
    For example I have lost around 50lb over the last 12 months and recently started to actually enjoy running, and I am working hard at getting more efficient at it.
    But people keep telling me that I "need" to start lifting heavy, why though? Why is my running that I enjoy not a good enough working progress? I cant say that id want to spend the little spare time I get when im not working inside a gym, am I the only person on here that thinks like this...

All lifting heavy means is that you need to lift enough to need a rest in between sets of say 10-15 reps. It depends on the exericise but there are plenty of good all body routines to do at home with just dumbbells and a bench, maybe add an easy curl bar. As others pointed out you aquire an enjoyment just like running if you push through until your body adapts and you crave the good feelings it gives you.

As a 55 year old I can tell you the benefits of just a simple lifting routine at home 3 days a week for one hour will extend your quality of life into older age. It is the fountain of youth, along with keeping the weight off. I love a little running too. But lifting is what has empowered my life and the doctors are amazed, the dexa scan shows my old bones are that of a 30 year old athlete. Now if that is not the fountain of youth I don't know what is.

The definitions I've seen for "lifting heavy" around this board are more of the 5-8 reps/set range. I've seen a more technical answer of a certain percent of your 1RM but I can't recall it off the top of my head.

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2016
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »

What I see mostly is thread after thread of new people who hate doing cardio but think they need to do massive amounts of cardio to lose weight. They dread spending hours plodding along on a treadmill or exercise bike. Many people new to fitness have no idea that they can obtain the goals and bodies they want by starting a resistance training program with linear progression and no cardio at all if they don't want to. They comment (women mostly) they don't want to be "bulky" or overly muscled. There is a lot of misinformation and lack of knowledge (outside a place like this) of the benefits of resistance training.

There's a lot of this, IMHO where I comment mostly and see it is: When an OP has lost a most of their weight to the point they're only a couple pounds from goal, are already at a healthy weight, aren't the biggest fans of their aesthetic appearance and want to know what to do to lose more weight. Most of the time to meet their aesthetic goal they don't need to lose weight, but need to get on some sort of structured program to assist with muscle maintenance to lower BF%. It is what it is.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    That's funny, when I look around the forums and people are giving out advice I see a lot of "pick an activity you enjoy". Where I do see lifting suggested mightily is in threads where people are complaining about being flabby but at their goal weight. Or people specifically asking about activities to try when they are starting out.

"Lifting heavy" is pretty much lifting at what's heavy/challenging for you, not the suggestion that everyone be an Olympic/Power lifter and constantly try to up weight. Just that strength and resistance training, however you choose to do that, yields results that some people do not get entirely from cardio and find beneficial.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    It's MFP, where the only right answer is heavy lifting. Don't agree? GTFO!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    edited July 2016
    I never interpreted it as, 'you need to lift'... but more as, 'if you are lifting, you should be lifting the heaviest weight you can manage'.

A lot of people kind of go through the motions with resistance training, and a lot of people-- particularly women-- will use tiny weights and machines that aren't actually forcing them to work, because they think they'll 'get bulky'.

If you enjoy running, I think you're absolutely right in doing that. Do whatever you enjoy.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    It all depends on your goal. If you're trying to get lean, you need both strength and cardio. However, the weights should be modest and do enough reps to induce muscle failure. If, on the other hand, you're trying to get big, then, yah - lift lots.
  • AngelaMee1
    AngelaMee1 Posts: 5 Member
    Because if you don't do something to keep building the muscle, you're losing muscle along with fat. Nothing wrong with that if you like a flabby body and loose skin. Lifting heavy weights is the easiest way to grow muscle. You can do this without going to a gym. Look into resistance band workouts and get creative. You can wait a while until you lose more fat if that's your goal... but it'll just mean more muscle you need to put back on...

Weight loss is not the only important thing, muscle matters...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Also whenever I say lift heavy it is to emphasise that a 5 or 10lb dumbbell is not what is meant

Women have been poorly served in the fitness industry by the concept of greater reps and pink Dumbbells ...IMHO

Win!

rather the words heavy lifting is a named trend or not, the term is used here that most of us come to see a lot and very used to in which we mean to specially say heavy lifting always means not the 5, 10 pound weenie weights!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    I use 5-10 pound weights regularly for my shoulders.