I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Replies

• Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    The reason I've told people to lift heavy before is because they go into a gym, pick up weights, do quick sets/reps, and not challenge their body. Then they complain about not having the genetics to put on any muscle, woe is me, better eat this ice cream. Barring an injury, I will always advocate lifting WHAT IS HEAVY FOR YOU, IF THAT FITS YOUR GOAL, based on numerous reasons already posted above. It is more to battle the mindset of not being willing to push your body even a little. If what you do works for you, do it. Congrats.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    When I was in Marine Corps boot camp we did circuit training with weights twice. Our primary staple was squat thrusts, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups, crawling, running, running with sand in our packs, fireman's carries with each other, rope climbing, wall climbing, etc. There are soooo many ways to exercise (for strength) without barbells or a gym. Indeed, if you go to a gym it is rare to see anything on the pull-up bar but the towel of someone doing lat pull-downs because they can't do a pull-up. Do whatever challenges you that you enjoy (or hate but do it anyway) ;0)
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Is being a bit evangelical about lifting really any different than hearing from a multitude of people and sources that you have to run for X reason? How many people come here believing that the only way to lose weight is running?

Take it for what it is; advice from other random people who don't know you or your needs. Now go run.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »

So you didn't always enjoy running, correct? What makes you think you won't enjoy being a strong woman? :+1:

No I used to hate it because it used to kill me, not anymore :) but iv always walked and love the outdoors (I sit in an office all day mon to fri) so time wise id much rather be outside than spending time in a gym, that is my main gripe.
    I have done weights in the past, and Body pump which I did really enjoy, but the times of the classes and location dont work for me. I would probably start Body pump again if there was a class nearer to home but there isnt.
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    a stronger core will help your running. I do a kettlebell/sandbag routine in my garage to complement my training.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I flog heavy lifting and protein like an old fish wife.
    Why? Because I respond to a lot of threads that involve menopausal and older women and some kind of strength/resistance work and a higher level of protein is so important in maintaining muscle mass and bone density. Cardio is too for cardio- vascular fitness and, along with a calorie deficit, decreasing visceral fat.

I had never done any form of exercise until I was a menopausal 54yo. Aqua fit and 2lbs Dumbbells were enough to increase my strength to begin with.

By the time I had graduated to 5 lbs Dumbbells and Pilates I was reading the forums and found the cult of lifting heavy intimidating. This lasted ever such a long time- I had moved on to include Nerdfitness bodyweight as well by then.

One day a light went off in my head- what was meant was 'lift what is heavy for me'.
    A whole new world opened. I started reading those cultish threads and the research papers that were often posted. I learnt a lot!
    Extra protein was added to my diet, more is needed as you become elderly. And I learnt all about how inactivity as we age leads to muscle atrophy and decreasing bone density.

I found one of those heavy lifting programmes that I thought I could work with, subbed in hand weights or machines when I couldn't do the move using a 45lbs bar, and haven't looked back.
    I will never be ripped but will enter old age (62now) knowledgable, strong, independent, and with not a bad looking body to boot.

I would like to thank the cult of heavy lifters for their constant posts.

If lifting isn't your cup of tea, that is fine, you have no need to do it. But, for a lot of people it can, for vanity or health reasons, be just what they are looking for but don't yet know. I didn't.

Cheers, h.

All of this

But also that parkour is pure exhilarating gymnastics...and gymnasts do progressive resistance training
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I'm primarily a runner too but I've seen enough compelling information to include strength training as part of my program and I have (grudgingly at first) started lifting heavier stuff (using the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program) and am enjoying the results.

Strength training (which can be either light weights and/or body weight exercises) can make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

Do you have to lift heavy? No..........
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I'm primarily a runner too but I've seen enough compelling information to include strength training as part of my program and I have (grudgingly at first) started lifting heavier stuff (using the Stronglifts 5 x 5 program) and am enjoying the results.

Strength training (which can be either light weights and/or body weight exercises) can make you a better, more injury resistant runner.

I'm totally with you that resistance training is nice for various reasons and fits a variety of goals, what I disagree with is that it has to be heavy lifting.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member

I'm totally with you that resistance training is nice for various reasons and fits a variety of goals, what I disagree with is that it has to be heavy lifting.

What the hell does "lifting heavy" even mean? The only place I've even seen the term is on MFP. At least other than "go heavy or go home" posters in the walls of my alternative gym. Reps of even 20-30 will build muscle. Not everyone needs to be going for 1 rep max lifts. Okay, I know what people mean by it, but it's a silly phrase IMHO. I'm hoping it goes the way of "tone."
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member

It has to be heavy enough to elicit an adaptation from the muscles, etc. And progressively heavier, to further elicit a response. It doesnt really matter ifthat "heavy enough" comes in the form of resistance bands, body weight or barbells. Depending on goals, it also shouldn't matter what acceptable rep range of strength training you are doing.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    You just need to do what suits your needs, and gets you to your goals, you don't have to lift if you don't want to. I think for the most part you see this, because you have a lot of people come on here, who say that they work out 6 times a week, doing all of these classes and cardio, and have reached their goal, and want to know how to tighten up their body. The fastest way to do that is add progressive lifting to their routine, but it isn't the only way, and not everyone has that problem. They lost the weight how they wanted to, and absolutely love how they look. So you if you love how you look and feel, just keep doing what you are doing.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    on MFP you'll find there are a lot of people who are all for lifting heavy, I am sort of one of those people, I say sort of as I believe in progressive lifting, lifting whats heavy for me but I still prefer cardio. I do my lifting 3 x week but for no more than 20 mins - it has loads of benefits, top of the list for me being that it will help my bone density and preserve muscle mass which is really important for aging.