I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Options

Replies

• xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So does running not build muscle then? Because my legs have got pretty solid since I started! Before running I was swimming (1 mile 3-4 times per week, fast- in around 25 mins) and I could have sworn my muscles were working and even aching afterwards then! Or does that not count?
    I know everyone says that if you dont lift while losing weight that you lose muscle aswel as fat, but honestly how true is this, are you all fully qualified human biologists? Because I actually have a qualification in human biology and sports science which I studied at college for 2 years and never was this an actual fact stated!! Yes if you starve yourself and dont move much to lose weight you will waste away, but if you increase your excersise in any form you use your muscles, therefore they increase endurance.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    So does running not build muscle then? Because my legs have got pretty solid since I started! Before running I was swimming (1 mile 3-4 times per week, fast- in around 25 mins) and I could have sworn my muscles were working and even aching afterwards then! Or does that not count?
    I know everyone says that if you dont lift while losing weight that you lose muscle aswel as fat, but honestly how true is this, are you all fully qualified human biologists? Because I actually have a qualification in human biology and sports science which I studies at college for 2 years and never was this an actual fact stated!! Yes if you starve yourself and dont move much to lose weight you will waste away, but if you increase your excersise in any form you use your muscles, therefore they increase endurance.

They are solid because you lost the fat that was surrounding the muscle mass that was already there. Running is for cardiovascular health weight lifting is to improve strength and reduce loss of muscle mass while in a deficit.
    But if you think you know better that everyone else, by all means do what you want. We are just trying to answer the question you asked about why people always suggest a heavy lifting program.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    But you do still build muscle strength while running and other exercises (other than lifting) thats my point. Or else how and why would it get easier and your performance improve the more you do it?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    But you do still build muscle strength while running and other exercises (other than lifting) thats my point. Or else how and why would it get easier and your performance improve the more you do it?

Define "other exercises".

The reason running gets easier is improved endurance.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Theres a ton of opinions on here because that's what worked for them. I think the same thing about the posts saying you have to do low carb to lose weight. I roll my eyes everytime lol. You do you and do what you enjoy!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

You don't build strength or muscle size by running, you do build muscular endurance. You sound like the bros on the other side of the spectrum who argue they don't need cardio because they're doing sets of 20 and then struggle through a 2-3 mile run. No one is telling you that you have to lift weights, but if you have the goal of a toned body it certainly is an efficient way to get there. Exercises are like tools. You want the most efficient ones for the job, or at least I do.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    Well anything, swimming, cycling, rowing etc. Improved endurance comes from using your muscles more, therefore they get more efficient, am I wrong?
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Neuroplasticity refers to the potential that the brain has to reorganize by creating new neural pathways to adapt, as it needs. Think of the neurological changes being made in the brain as the brain's way of tuning itself to meet your needs.

Also, as has been mentioned, your cardiovascular endurance has probably been improving due to all of the running you are performing. So these two things--neuroplasticity and endurance-- may explain why you find running X amount of distance easier.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't teach you that during your 2 years of college level study on human biology and sports science.

Maybe they didn't because its not an accurate statement? Yes I completely agree "nothing touches a programme of linear progression, resistance training" but there are also many other forms of linear progression which have there own good results too, maybe not as effective, but equally better than nothing as you say.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Eh, I've gained an inch in each thigh since I started running last fall and I'm eating more or less at maintenance and my weight is exactly the same. It's obviously building a bit of muscle....I mean, yeah, it's primarily improving my endurance but I'd be crazy to think I haven't increased the muscle mass in my legs (quads especially) from it. They look very different (visibly firmer/more "rounded" if that makes sense, with a little delineation) from before I started, and since I haven't lost any weight I can only conclude there's been some recomposition. I don't squat or deadlift or do any other leg or glute focused strength training, either.

I'm not saying I'm getting the kind of results I would from progressive compound lifts but to write it off as useless from a muscle-building perspective seems a little silly. I know I'm a woman and we tend to build muscle more easily in our lower bodies than upper but still, it's a great deal better than nothing and has had visible effects on me. I'm propelling my bodyweight forward into the air repeatedly for up to two hours at a time, multiple times per week, you know?
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I know everyone says that if you dont lift while losing weight that you lose muscle aswel as fat, but honestly how true is this, are you all fully qualified human biologists? Because I actually have a qualification in human biology and sports science which I studied at college for 2 years and never was this an actual fact stated!! Yes if you starve yourself and dont move much to lose weight you will waste away, but if you increase your excersise in any form you use your muscles, therefore they increase endurance.

I am completing my studies in becoming an occupational therapist. I have learned that for clients to be able to complete their daily or meaningful activities they can either a: adapt or b: restore.

With the "restore" approach, we will focus on an increase in strength. An increase in strength is necessary to carry out any activity in the first place. Then there may be a focus on endurance with that load after strength is achieved.

Strength and endurance work hand in hand. However, in order to continue improved performance for a certain duration, running will not necessarily do that on it own. Some sort of resistance training, be it bodyweight or equipment-based,is probably beneficial for you.

Then again, if your goal is to continue running, be it for sprints, keep doing what you are doing. But if you are looking to put on muscle or are reaching a plateau in your running goals, some sort of resistance training will be beneficial to you.
  • xjessicaxrx
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Eh, I've gained an inch in each thigh since I started running last fall and I'm eating more or less at maintenance and my weight is exactly the same. It's obviously building a bit of muscle....I mean, yeah, it's primarily improving my endurance but I'd be crazy to think I haven't increased the muscle mass in my legs (quads especially) from it. They look very different (visibly firmer/more "rounded" if that makes sense, with a little delineation) from before I started, and since I haven't lost any weight I can only conclude there's been some recomposition. I don't squat or deadlift or do any other leg or glute focused strength training, either.

I'm not saying I'm getting the kind of results I would from progressive compound lifts but to write it off as useless from a muscle-building perspective seems a little silly. I know I'm a woman and we tend to build muscle more easily in our lower bodies than upper but still, it's a great deal better than nothing and has had visible effects on me. I'm propelling my bodyweight forward into the air repeatedly for up to two hours at a time, multiple times per week, you know?

Finally Thank you!! I was losing the will to live before you came along haha :)
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    BillMcKay1 wrote: »
    I'm surprised they didn't teach you that during your 2 years of college level study on human biology and sports science.

Maybe they didn't because its not an accurate statement? Yes I completely agree "nothing touches a programme of linear progression, resistance training" but there are also many other forms of linear progression which have there own good results too, maybe not as effective, but equally better than nothing as you say.

What part of my statement is inaccurate?

So your argument is people should run to build leg muscle even though it is inherently a very inefficient way to build muscle when compared to resistance training such as squats?

That's like me saying you should only do squats to improve your 5k time...yes doing squats will probably improve your 5K time over sitting on the couch, but ya not as much as running would...

For people with a lot of weight to lose, the best way to minimize the excess loose skin is to lose weight slowly while incorporating resistance training.

IDK, I've lost 35lbs since May and more importantly dropped from a 42 to a 36 (almost a 34) jean doing SL 5x5 with a daily brisk 30min walk and a caloric deficit. I haven't stepped onto the treadmill a single time.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Are you running up hills? Doing any kind of resistance training. or are you strictly running?

It is hard to build muscle when you are in a deficit as I think the OP is (I am assuming because she said she had lost 50lbs).

You however are eating at maintenance which you are probably going through recomp.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been running a pretty solid program, Hal Higdon's novice 1 for a half marathon, and while my speeds increased, and my endurance increased, my muscle size did not. In fact my quads shrunk noticeably from the 4 months prior when I had been doing a daily burn tabata/hiit program 4 days a week, that was body weight based. That did increase my muscle size noticeably over the 4 months I had done it, was a little sad at the end of my half marathon training when I realized how much strength/mass I had lost over that 6 month period.

Like I said before, run if you enjoy it, it is great for you! We all have different goals, and often times we change those goals as time goes on. I wouldn't recommend someone start running if their goal is to gain mass, just like I wouldn't tell someone who wanted to run a marathon to stay on the squat racks. Different programs serve different purposes, I don't think there is anything wrong with either.
  • xjessicaxrx
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I havent told or suggested that anyone does anything to build muscle let alone running, im just using examples that I can relate to! Plus im not doing it to build muscle? I run because it's convenient (I can take my dogs and exercise them at the same time) I enjoy it and it helps with my stress levels after a crappy day at work :)
    I lost 50lb 6 months ago and have been maintaining since, and since starting running only 2 months ago my body shape has changed, my legs now have muscles which bulge when I tense, and somehow I have lost 4inch from my waist, from doing nothing else apart from running- progressively :)