I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ya I saw that too @BillMcKay1 but they say it was between 75 and 90 percent of the man’s one-repetition maximum (not just 90%) and the volunteer lifted until he could not lift again, usually after about 10 reps. We just aren't given the info as to which person at which percentage lifted how many reps...but I see your point. Without seeing the actual study, we're only getting the short story version so I'd hate to make assumptions
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also whenever I say lift heavy it is to emphasise that a 5 or 10lb dumbbell is not what is meant

Women have been poorly served in the fitness industry by the concept of greater reps and pink Dumbbells ...IMHO

Win!

rather the words heavy lifting is a named trend or not, the term is used here that most of us come to see a lot and very used to in which we mean to specially say heavy lifting always means not the 5, 10 pound weenie weights!

Wow, my gym has sets of 15 and 20lbs "pink" dumb bells, so I guess that the color makes them weenies... >:)

So sad an unfair to put labels on what people want or can lift.

I honestly can understand though. It's not labeling, IMHO. We as women have heard it all from "women shouldn't lift more than 10lbs", "You don't need to lift more than 10lbs" and many, many women actually believe that they just can't, but it is a mental "I can't". Many women believe that they're weak as because they are told that they are. However, some women have decided to break through that blanket-statement thinking and prove them oh so wrong. There was a time where I couldn't bench press more than 2 5lbs dumbbells and I believed I was 'weak'. It wasn't until someone here smashed that way of thinking for me and I finally decided to test myself. I was actually able to bench press 60lbs and do 3x12 and I learned that I was not challenging myself before at all. Now I think those little weights are weenie for me and everyone has to start somewhere, don't they? That doesn't mean anyone who lifts like that is a weenie, or that they're being made fun of. Not at all. We all have to start somewhere, but breaking down that mental barrier is a must. Whenever someone does break down that mental barrier, it becomes such a huge surprise and it encourages them to keep lifting.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Ya I saw that too @BillMcKay1 but they say it was between 75 and 90 percent of the man’s one-repetition maximum (not just 90%) and the volunteer lifted until he could not lift again, usually after about 10 reps. We just aren't given the info as to which person at which percentage lifted how many reps...but I see your point. Without seeing the actual study, we're only getting the short story version so I'd hate to make assumptions

10 reps is considered 75% of 1RM. But if you asked most people that isn't lifting "heavy". 8-12reps is hypertrophy range. Great for mass, not so good for strength gains. Heavy is more 3-5 rep range.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    What I object to is people who say they want to tone up a little or do a recomp to reduce their last jiggly bits (yea im using terms that people who need help would use, don't jump on me terms and definitions police) and then get told that lifting heavy is the only option.the only way.the gospel! I disagree, simply because I don't know what you consider heavy, but I lift my body weight and nothing more. I do it often but still, never is more weight added. This has done crazy things to my body, it gave me definition I've never seen before, visible abs, split shoulders, lovely back definition and I'm only getting stronger, but not getting bigger (which is key for me, I like being cut and petite! ) I think it's important people find what they enjoy and what works for themselves as individuals not just "you need to lift heavy" because no one can deny that is a one line answer a lot of the time on here!

Amen to that :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    We tell people they need to lift heavy because they ask questions like "how to I get this body", or "how do I get stronger". The answer is lift heavy, duh.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    We tell people they need to lift heavy because they ask questions like "how to I get this body", or "how do I get stronger". The answer is lift heavy, duh.

That isnt the context where I see that 1 liner the most... Any strength training at all would be a start for most people! I am not sure why u feel the need to be so obnoxious about it?
  • arditarose
    Options

That isnt the context where I see that 1 liner the most... Any strength training at all would be a start for most people! I am not sure why u feel the need to be so obnoxious about it?

I guess I just feel the need to be obnoxious. Where do you see it recommended if not for people who have specifically asked for a goal that requires resistance training? That would be something like "I want to lose weight", or "I don't care about saving muscle but would like to lose weight", or something specific to one's sport (which lifting can sometimes be recommended for as well).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Do you have any particular examples?
    I tend to see it in the oppostie context, where someone has a specific goal .
  • arditarose
    Options
    Okay, I apologize for saying "duh". Maybe I'm a little heated up for reasons outside of MFP.
  • arditarose
    Options
    When it comes down to it, if you don't want to lift, don't. But if you ask about general health/fitness/body composition, it might be suggested to throw in some resistance training...at least this is how I approach it. Unless the person's goal is really specific to heavy lifting.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    ARGriffy wrote: »
    What I object to is people who say they want to tone up a little or do a recomp to reduce their last jiggly bits (yea im using terms that people who need help would use, don't jump on me terms and definitions police) and then get told that lifting heavy is the only option.the only way.the gospel! I disagree, simply because I don't know what you consider heavy, but I lift my body weight and nothing more. I do it often but still, never is more weight added. This has done crazy things to my body, it gave me definition I've never seen before, visible abs, split shoulders, lovely back definition and I'm only getting stronger, but not getting bigger (which is key for me, I like being cut and petite! ) I think it's important people find what they enjoy and what works for themselves as individuals not just "you need to lift heavy" because no one can deny that is a one line answer a lot of the time on here!

Hey @ARGriffy...I took an online course through Ideafit a while ago (wish I could remember the name)...anyway, your post reminded me of that because the instructor for the course actually trained for a bodybuilding competition and his prep program was entirely bodyweight exercises. I knw when he said that and then showed pictures of himself in the competition I was like WTF? You say you like being cut...I'm not surprised at all that you are able to attain that with only bodyweight routines.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    The "must lift" or "must lift heavy" chanting seems to just be an MFP thing tossed out without any real context given, and in the overall scheme of things often by people misinformed IMHO. It seems that the people that pick one over the other (lifting vs cardio) often chant the loudest. Maybe it's all semantics and how people define the terms, since the line between the two isn't really perfectly clear.

There are plenty of ways to maintain or build muscle that involve only what most would consider cardio based exercise. Or you can lift as well, or do both. There are some limits at the upper end of bulking that might require some heavy lifting, but that probably doesn't apply to a large segment of people.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Also whenever I say lift heavy it is to emphasise that a 5 or 10lb dumbbell is not what is meant

Women have been poorly served in the fitness industry by the concept of greater reps and pink Dumbbells ...IMHO

Win!

rather the words heavy lifting is a named trend or not, the term is used here that most of us come to see a lot and very used to in which we mean to specially say heavy lifting always means not the 5, 10 pound weenie weights!

Wow, my gym has sets of 15 and 20lbs "pink" dumb bells, so I guess that the color makes them weenies... >:)

So sad an unfair to put labels on what people want or can lift.

I honestly can understand though. It's not labeling, IMHO. We as women have heard it all from "women shouldn't lift more than 10lbs", "You don't need to lift more than 10lbs" and many, many women actually believe that they just can't, but it is a mental "I can't". Many women believe that they're weak as because they are told that they are. However, some women have decided to break through that blanket-statement thinking and prove them oh so wrong. There was a time where I couldn't bench press more than 2 5lbs dumbbells and I believed I was 'weak'. It wasn't until someone here smashed that way of thinking for me and I finally decided to test myself. I was actually able to bench press 60lbs and do 3x12 and I learned that I was not challenging myself before at all. Now I think those little weights are weenie for me and everyone has to start somewhere, don't they? That doesn't mean anyone who lifts like that is a weenie, or that they're being made fun of. Not at all. We all have to start somewhere, but breaking down that mental barrier is a must. Whenever someone does break down that mental barrier, it becomes such a huge surprise and it encourages them to keep lifting.

My problem with people calling any weights weenie weights is that it is belittling and discouraging for many people. In addition, to me it comes off as rather...I hesitate to use the word ignorant but I will because I can't think of a better one.

There's a place and use for big weights and there's a place and use for small weights in many people's programming. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I use small weights for my shoulders on a regular basis. YTLW exercises, rear delt raises, lateral raises, etc. do not require a lot of weight. Curls, if I feel like doing them at the end of a workout, also don't require a lot of weight. And even if I am doing something that will have my working sets at higher weight, I'm going to warm up with lower weight. That means sometimes I sometimes grab a set of 10s as my very first warmup set for a dumbbell bench press. I'm secure enough in what I'm doing that I don't really give a flying fig about people looking at me benching that amount.

But for a complete beginner in the weight room, somebody who is nervous about being in there and doing something new and possibly looking foolish, flippant and derisive comments can have a serious affect on their training. So if somebody here on MFP asks about building muscle or "toning" and mentions having a set of 3, 5, 7 lb dumbbells, I will state that they are going to have to add more weight in order to progress, but I'm not going to tell them they are using weenie weights.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I get that weight lifting is a must if you want to tone up, but the way I keep seeing people demand that this is a must for everyone on every post is baffling me!
    What if you dont have the time or money to go to a gym, what if you dont enjoy lifting?
    For example I have lost around 50lb over the last 12 months and recently started to actually enjoy running, and I am working hard at getting more efficient at it.
    But people keep telling me that I "need" to start lifting heavy, why though? Why is my running that I enjoy not a good enough working progress? I cant say that id want to spend the little spare time I get when im not working inside a gym, am I the only person on here that thinks like this...

It's like saying; I want to be a billionaire but I hate working, how can I become a billionaire while doing only the things I enjoy doing?

My boss is the worst, I got passed again for another promotion, like I don't get it!!! I come to work everyday and enjoy what I do... my boss is the worst!

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    As a runner, I find that incorporating a good strength training routine has really helped me build up my strength in areas that help my running as well. Most people are suggesting to lift heavy to people who have lost weight and are not what you may call "skinny fat" meaning they did nothing but cardio to lose the weight and still have a lot of "softness" that can be remedied by lifting and building/maintaining muscle. You don't have to join a gym or "lift heavy" to do this. All you have to have is about 15min and a little bit of imagination. Congrats on your weight loss - just keep doing what works for you and what makes you happy. You shouldn't by any means take other's advice as gospel... but just as a suggestion from others with more experience.
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing to me is you have to enjoy whatever exercise you are doing. If you don't enjoy it, you will never stick to it and it will not be a long term thing. Lifting heavy is a great thing for a lot of people to meet their goals but not everyone has the same goals. If your goals are to be ripped fitness model type, you will probably have to do some lifting but if you only want to lose a few extra pounds, it may not be necessary for you. Go with something that you enjoy and will use to meet your goals.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for an example of a thread where heavy lifting was thrown out by the masses that didn't have to do with body composition or retaining muscle mass or looking toned or asking for work outs to start with.

I've been here a long, long time -- I want some of these examples, OP. Since they happen so often, it shouldn't be hard for you to locate one.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I guess I just feel the need to be obnoxious. Where do you see it recommended if not for people who have specifically asked for a goal that requires resistance training? That would be something like "I want to lose weight", or "I don't care about saving muscle but would like to lose weight", or something specific to one's sport (which lifting can sometimes be recommended for as well).

but there is a difference between resistance training and heavy lifting.

I do heavy lifting, progressive load heavy lifting to get me stronger and maintain muscle.

My son does body weight resistance training and he is stronger and leaner and is getting cut he took my 25lb dumbbells
    My sister hasn't touched anything heavier than a 15lb dumbbell.

how do you get stronger by taxing the muscle that doesn't require heavy lifting
    to get a certain body (aka lean, six pack etc) no lifting required....that's all diet
    to get bigger muscles yes lift heavy, progressive load.

As long as people are doing some form of resistance training that is enough.