I keep seeing "you NEED to lift heavy"

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I use 5-10 pound weights regularly for my shoulders.

:)
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

I think this is part of the problem right here, you're telling the OP to run if she likes to run, but then telling her that in your opinion if that is all she is doing that she wont look good naked, and that the 50lbs she lost only means she is going to look good in clothes and I'm not sure what type of message that is telling people. I'm also not sure where this whole notion came from anyways, because there millions and millions of people who look good naked no matter what size they are, or what they do health wise.

No I'm not

I'm simply stating that being the "right" weight for your height does not mean that you have the body you want...that scale weight is the smallest part of the physique battle, whatever your desired physique is (and we all have different body aesthetics)

In general losing 50lbs will mean you weigh 50lbs less not that your body composition will be what you aspire to ...if you want specific shape at a lower weight it is generally created through musculature on top of bone structure with an element of fat

When you read progressive resistance do you read "lifting weights" only because that would be misunderstanding the term ...progressive resistance can be achieved through running (intensity, speed, incline) ...progressive resistance can mean more reps at lower weights

But the point is you can't tell somebody the type of body they want.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

:smiley: lol

I think it's tricky to discuss high vs medium vs low weight/rep lifting because we're all coming from a different place, have different preferences, different goals, etc. I try not to dismiss any as better/worse than the others because I think there is merit to all the options. Plus I don't want to discourage anybody from trying a new activity.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Depends on goal ..if you like to run, run ...you can make that progressive through intensity, incline, speed, distance, carrying weight if you choose to

IMHO Progressive resistance makes you look good naked, whereas being the appropriate weight means you look good in clothes

I think this is part of the problem right here, you're telling the OP to run if she likes to run, but then telling her that in your opinion if that is all she is doing that she wont look good naked, and that the 50lbs she lost only means she is going to look good in clothes and I'm not sure what type of message that is telling people. I'm also not sure where this whole notion came from anyways, because there millions and millions of people who look good naked no matter what size they are, or what they do health wise.

No I'm not

I'm simply stating that being the "right" weight for your height does not mean that you have the body you want...that scale weight is the smallest part of the physique battle, whatever your desired physique is (and we all have different body aesthetics)

In general losing 50lbs will mean you weigh 50lbs less not that your body composition will be what you aspire to ...if you want specific shape at a lower weight it is generally created through musculature on top of bone structure with an element of fat

When you read progressive resistance do you read "lifting weights" only because that would be misunderstanding the term ...progressive resistance can be achieved through running (intensity, speed, incline) ...progressive resistance can mean more reps at lower weights

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

Meaning "in my humble opinion"

It is an opinion, clearly stated, and not a directive
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I think it's tricky to discuss high vs medium vs low weight/rep lifting because we're all coming from a different place, have different preferences, different goals, etc. I try not to dismiss any as better/worse than the others because I think there is merit to all the options. Plus I don't want to discourage anybody from trying a new activity.

It's a good point and well made

But you can keep your shoulder shrugs ;)
  • jemhh
    Options

It's a good point and well made

But you can keep your shoulder shrugs ;)

:smirk:

cc885c54445771e97b20bf4bd79e4528150de88b19763f9660c0b2d2188562f3.jpg
  • bagge72
    Options

No I'm not

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

I acknowledged you original opinion, that's why I said "but then telling her in your opinion" and then in your follow up, you said you were stating that being the right weight for you height does not mean that you have the body you want. That's why I replied with "But the point is you can't tell somebody the type of body they want." I guess I should have said, But the point is you can't state the type of body somebody wants.
  • bagge72
    Options
    Krisfit40 wrote: »
    so funny how quick people are to argue opinions on here. If someone asks a question on a forum and is expecting opinions in return then why are so many people trying to discredit those opinions? LMAO! Spend more time trying to help and less time worrying about what anyone else has to say...

Helpful
  • Mrmiller0422
    Mrmiller0422 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nikki8412 wrote: »
    I think we have to do whatever gets results. For you, it's been running and congrats on your weight loss! The folks who believe in strength training are *usually replying to people who are not happy with their progress or have stagnated somehow. If we get discouraged, we tend to quit and we all want each other to succeed so folks preach the glory of lifting heavy (I must admit I'm a believer even if the advice giver comes across too strongly). Weights are a great way to get and sustain muscle, hence, results.

I know for me I lost 36 lbs in 6 months I have a lot of loss skin for the last 3 weeks I go to planet fitness and it helping with all my loss skin just saying
  • Sued0nim
    Options

No I'm not

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

I acknowledged you original opinion, that's why I said "but then telling her in your opinion" and then in your follow up, you said you were stating that being the right weight for you height does not mean that you have the body you want. That's why I replied with "But the point is you can't tell somebody the type of body they want." I guess I should have said, But the point is you can't state the type of body somebody wants.

I'm getting lost now

Are you saying that I was telling her, or anyone else, what kind of body they want? Or not.

Are you saying that on a discussion forum I'm not supposed to give my opinion? Or is that ok?

It's not going to change how I post or the opinions I hold, I am just interested why you keep referring to my post(s) as though I've said something offensive when on my reading I haven't

I find people's perceptions interesting but I am currently failing to understand what, if anything is the problem

If it helps I agree you can't tell someone else what type of body they want ...and I don't believe I have

• bagge72
    Options

No I'm not

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

I'm getting lost now

Are you saying that I was telling her, or anyone else, what kind of body they want? Or not.

Are you saying that on a discussion forum I'm not supposed to give my opinion? Or is that ok?

It's not going to change how I post or the opinions I hold, I am just interested why you keep referring to my post(s) as though I've said something offensive when on my reading I haven't

I find people's perceptions interesting but I am currently failing to understand what, if anything is the problem

If it helps I agree you can't tell someone else what type of body they want ...and I don't believe I have

Are we making things up now?

Did I ever say you can't have an opinion, or that you should change how you post your opinion?

I simply had an opinion on your original opinion, that to look good naked you should lift weights, otherwise your just going to look good in clothes, because that's not the only way to look good naked, and then when you stated that if somebody is at the right weight for their height, that does not mean that you have the body you want, I stated that you can't tell somebody what type of body they want. I don't mean you specifically, I mean in general people shouldn't tell other people what type of body they want, if somebody gets to the weight they want without lifting weights, and they are happy with their body then that is a wonderful thing. I referenced your post because you are the one that brought those points up. If not I would just be giving my opinion on something that was never said, which would just be weird.

• BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options

No I'm not

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

I'm getting lost now

Did I ever say you can't have an opinion, or that you should change how you post your opinion?

I simply had an opinion on your original opinion, that to look good naked you should lift weights, otherwise your just going to look good in clothes, because that's not the only way to look good naked, and then when you stated that if somebody is at the right weight for their height, that does not mean that you have the body you want, I stated that you can't tell somebody what type of body they want. I don't mean you specifically, I mean in general people shouldn't tell other people what type of body they want, if somebody gets to the weight they want without lifting weights, and they are happy with their body then that is a wonderful thing. I referenced your post because you are the one that brought those points up. If not I would just be giving my opinion on something that was never said, which would just be weird.

This whole derailment is weird.
  • bagge72
    Options
    Opinions about opinions regarding other people's opinions? It's an opinion-pocolypse

I agree it is way too much! I should have stopped a long time about, but I just like to talk about these things! I didn't mean to offend @Sued0nim, and I'm sorry if I have. I just have this thing were I can't stop arguing unfortunately, which in never should have turned into an argument, I kind of high jacked the OP's thread which isn't cool either.

• jemhh
    Options

No I'm not

I didn't

I used the acronym IMHO

I'm getting lost now

Well then it is weird because she very clearly did not say you must lift weights to look good naked.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Now that is one hell of a convoluted sentence :dizzy:

It's ok no offence taken

No clarity gained either, might be me though, I gave up halfway because I'm not good on roller coasters
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Krisfit40 wrote: »
    so funny how quick people are to argue opinions on here. If someone asks a question on a forum and is expecting opinions in return then why are so many people trying to discredit those opinions? LMAO! Spend more time trying to help and less time worrying about what anyone else has to say...

then what fun would that be? The forums are open to the masses.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight you will also lose muscle mass along with fat. To lessen the amount of muscle loss, you should do lifting or resistance training and get an adequate amount of protein. Running is not what made you lose 50lbs,k your diet did that. You were burning more calories than you consumed.

Lifting has helped me with my endurance and speed when it comes to running.