Mom's and Dad's looking for support

Replies

• MikePXstream
    MikePXstream Posts: 965 Member
    Something tells me I may be a little sore tomorrow from this mornings workout. That's alright though. I saw a quote that I really liked. It said, "Focus on progress, not perfection." I like that. Often times we want to be perfect at something, and while we may achieve that or come close, many other times we fall short. The question is, what do you do at that point? Do you sulk and go into a frenzy of negative talk, or do you hold your head up high and assess what you did, and how you can do it better next time? I like to think I look at the situation and figure out how I can be better at it next time.

When I started exercising regular 3 years ago, many exercises were difficult for me, some I couldn't even do at all. Now, that is a different story. Shoot, I remember when I finally did my first 1 arm push up. I couldn't even do that in my Army days. So yeah, progress.

What do you think? Does that resonate with you in some way? What can you do now that you couldn't do before? What would you like to be able to do, that you can't do now?

7i6amt3hunrp.png
  • MikePXstream
    Why do I do what I do? Because it is fun! Because I enjoy the people I meet, and take great joy in the fact that I helped someone breakthrough a personal barrier to help them reach or get one step closer to their health and fitness goal.

I received an email last night from a young lady I met a few weeks ago, thanking me for the advice I had given her. She had hit a plateau on her journey and wasn't able to attain the results she was looking for, Through our conversations I provided a couple suggestions and asked her to let me know how it went. Well, she broke through and is making progress again. :D

That's what its about! That is what brings a smile to my face. Helping people realize their potential and supporting them along the way. It's the little things that build to bigger, and bigger things, that make it all worth it in the end. Pay it forward. You'll be rewarded in more ways than you could possibly imagine.

How have you paid it forward today?

1vjej89ouwkw.jpg

• SamanthaLouiseMence
    SamanthaLouiseMence Posts: 663 Member
    I have a 1 year old, literally 24/7! Trying to get any working it in my day is a complete nightmare!!! So now to make sure I get my butt moving every day by getting my baby into his pushchair (and have everything I need in the baby bag) and we go for really, really long walks no matter the weather
    It's a win win, I get my daily exercise and he gets some fresh air lol

Anyone can feel free to add me if they like :) x
  • yesseriously
    yesseriously Posts: 8 Member
    Hi - very new to this MFP and this community. Have three busy children. I I would love to be added as a friend - I'm currently around 230, goal is to be 150. Just starting with tracking and plan to add in exercise again too. I used to be in very good shape and last spring did a Farrell boot camp (which I loved) & had started losing weight/inches - though I never tracked my eating. I stopped when I had scheduling conflicts with my children's activities and have now gained 20 pounds more from my starting g weight :(
  • MikePXstream
    smence wrote: »
    I have a 1 year old, literally 24/7! Trying to get any working it in my day is a complete nightmare!!! So now to make sure I get my butt moving every day by getting my baby into his pushchair (and have everything I need in the baby bag) and we go for really, really long walks no matter the weather
    It's a win win, I get my daily exercise and he gets some fresh air lol

Anyone can feel free to add me if they like :) x
    Hi - very new to this MFP and this community. Have three busy children. I I would love to be added as a friend - I'm currently around 230, goal is to be 150. Just starting with tracking and plan to add in exercise again too. I used to be in very good shape and last spring did a Farrell boot camp (which I loved) & had started losing weight/inches - though I never tracked my eating. I stopped when I had scheduling conflicts with my children's activities and have now gained 20 pounds more from my starting g weight :(

Welcome to the group. Glad to have you with us.
  • MikePXstream
    Have you heard the saying, "You are what you eat?" Well, it's true. Think of your body as a machine and the foods you put into it as fuel. If you feed your machine high-quality foods, it will run smoothly and efficiently. Feed it junk, and your machine will be sluggish!

Tell us—what are you fueling up with today?

tlgqhtxrd9mz.jpg
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Father of a 7 years old boy, a 5 years old girl and a 3 months old girl :) Add me!
  • amayla0407
    amayla0407 Posts: 218 Member
    I am a single mom to a 5 year old. He is starting Kindergarten this year in August. Is it terrible that I don't want him to be the kid with the fat mom? Lol. So truth be told, that's part of my motivation.
  • MikePXstream
    Father of a 7 years old boy, a 5 years old girl and a 3 months old girl :) Add me!
    amayla0407 wrote: »
    I am a single mom to a 5 year old. He is starting Kindergarten this year in August. Is it terrible that I don't want him to be the kid with the fat mom? Lol. So truth be told, that's part of my motivation.

Welcome to the group!

• MikePXstream
    What's your vision, your goal for yourself? Have you put much thought into it. If you have, great. But if not, maybe it is time.
    In order for you to succeed, you have to have some form of a vision for yourself. How you want to live your life, not how others want you to live it. This applies to any area of your life. Whether it be with you fitness, health, work, family, marriage, whatever. You have to picture what it is you want, and then go for it.

For me, I want to live my life by MY design. Not by somebody else's. I want to be as healthy as I can be so that I can keep up with my kids as they get older and faster. I want to be the best supervisor I can be at work, to continue to grow my team of people that respect each other, and the jobs they perform. I want to be the best husband I can be, so that I can know without a doubt that my wife can depend on me in times of need. And I want to help others make a difference in their life, by supporting them with their health and fitness. My vision....to have my own gym or fitness business, where I am helping thousands of people achieve their goals and be happier with themselves. In turn, this will eventually lead me to a life where I create my own schedule, I am my own boss, and not miss my kids activities and growing up. I have missed so much already due to my work schedule, and this does not make me happy.

So I ask you. What is your vision for your self, yourfuture? What makes that important to you, and what are you willing to do to make it a reality?

bj5mmg8jfmoi.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    I really hate it when I don't prep some food for work. I end up eating junk. :s
  • MikePXstream
    How was your weekend everyone?
  • MikePXstream
    "Your own value is determined by what you are able to make of yourself. This is so true. I tell people all the time that if you want to achieve your goals and dreams, youhave to put forth a little effort and determine your value. Not only to yourself, but to those you care about. If you view yourself as worthless, then others will see you that way too. But, if you see yourself as worth the heavens and the stars, then that is what youwill attract to yourself!

So, what is your worth?

2c4cxr8nde2o.jpg
  • MikePXstream
    I hope you have a fantastic weekend. Spend time with your loved ones, get out side, and enjoy life!

5hyn864qo5ih.jpg
  • hmclaughlan84
    hmclaughlan84 Posts: 22 Member
    Working out and parent duties are hard specially now that they are off school I found myself doing a sandbag workout along with the support of my daughter cheering me along and also doing exercises with me
  • MikePXstream
    Working out and parent duties are hard specially now that they are off school I found myself doing a sandbag workout along with the support of my daughter cheering me along and also doing exercises with me

I know what you mean. I consider myself pretty darn consistent with my workouts, but with all the kids home for summer, man oh man is it harder. Nothing like a good sandbag workout though! Keep up the good work!
  • MikePXstream
    This mornings breakfast. Steel cut oatmeal, with a tsp of brown sugar, almond milk, and fresh strawberries.

It is so important to start off the day with good nutrition. We have become so wrapped up in the Hustle and bustle of our fast placed lives, that sometimes we don't eat or make a poor choice.

But by doing that, you are seeing yourself up for failure. That sounds be like going on a long road trip and only starting off with a 1/4 of a tank of gas. Sure you'll get going, but you have to stop a lot sooner to fill up.

When you stay of with a nutritional breakfast, you'll jump start your metabolism, give you more sustained energy to get through the morning, and set yourself up for success throughout the rest of the day. Add in some water and now your really set.

So do yourselves a favor and try not to skip breakfast. You'll feel and preform a lot better if you eat a little something.

h926yl9kt7iz.jpg
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Hi there i've just become a mum for the 2nd time, i've got about 35lb to lose but more importantly I need to regain my pre pregnancy fitness levels. I know I can do the food side of this but any one got ideas how to fit in the exercise with a newborn & 4 year old? Please add me I can be a great cheerleader
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    jenfunfur wrote: »
    Hi there i've just become a mum for the 2nd time, i've got about 35lb to lose but more importantly I need to regain my pre pregnancy fitness levels. I know I can do the food side of this but any one got ideas how to fit in the exercise with a newborn & 4 year old? Please add me I can be a great cheerleader

This is hard. At one point we had 3, ages 3 1/2 and under. Other then going for slow walks (because 3yr olds don't walk fast) the only thing I could do to get any exercise was to use a treadmill at home. If I could get through the exhaustion and do it, I always felt better. I also used Bill Phillips Body for Life weight lifting from home. Just some small hand weights and I was really able to build muscle and body composition. When I was being good about working out I would cardio (treadmill) 3 days a week and lift 2 days a week (upper body one day, lower the next time). The hardest part was scheduling this into my day as a priority. I generally found if I didn't do it first thing in the morning that it wouldn't get done. If you do something at home you can put the baby in a swing or on the floor to play and the 4yr with books or something nearby to keep him/her busy. You can set a timer and tell the 4yr old when it goes off that you will be done. He/she is plenty old enough now to entertain themselves while you workout. It's a matter of training. And in doing so, you'll be teaching the importance of being fit and healthy as well. It's good for a child to learn the world doesn't circle around them and this is one way to teach that (by having them entertain themselves nearby and have to "wait" for you). After a few times of doing this you'll find the 4yr old will ask if you're going to do your workout that day. In essence, their inquiry provides some motivation because they come to expect it.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    jenfunfur wrote: »

When my kids were little we went swimming at the ymca. The kids enjoyed swimming around and showing me tricks. Even though, I can swim...dog-paddling helped to burn off some calories.
This discussion has been closed.