Which one do I trust?

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I would actually say the doctors office would be more prone to variance due to calibration, clothing, time of day, food in system

Clothes can sometimes weigh a fair amount. And often they make you keep your shoes on!
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Grab something you know the weight of, like a dumbbell, and weigh it to check accuracy

I second this. I've checked my food scale too this way (it weighs items up to eleven pounds).
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Self edited
  • DebSozo
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Seriously OP, keep weighing with the same scale, time of day, same clothes, etc like others suggested. Just pay attention to downward trend over time. You will get water and food/waste content weight spikes throughout the day. Just ignore the off spikes and dips and figure out weekly averages. I used to drive myself crazy weighing often. I don't do that anymore. At least I don't get too upset with a quick gain as it leaves just as quickly.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You are obsessing way too much about this scale weight. Like every single person on here has said, use your home scale because you can control how and when you weigh yourself, and you can be consistent.

It seems to be turning a little unhealthy where you are thinking of starving yourself, because you don't think you are losing fast enough. The math they teach you here (3500 calories = a LB lost) is just an over simplification how things work to help the average person be as accurate as they can. That number isn't always going to be accurate but eventually it seems to average out, and starving yourself to speed up the process isn't going to help you in the long run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    You are obsessing way too much about this scale weight. Like every single person on here has said, use your home scale because you can control how and when you weigh yourself, and you can be consistent.

It seems to be turning a little unhealthy where you are thinking of starving yourself, because you don't think you are losing fast enough. The math they teach you here (3500 calories = a LB lost) is just an over simplification how things work to help the average person be as accurate as they can. That number isn't always going to be accurate but eventually it seems to average out, and starving yourself to speed up the process isn't going to help you in the long run.

Unfortunately she has already started the "very aggressive" approach to her weight loss!
  • bagge72
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Unfortunately she has already started the "very aggressive" approach to her weight loss!

Yeah after seeing your post I was looking at her diary, and there are days as low as 450 calories.

There seems to be something else going on here.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I am always heavier at the doctor's. But then again it is frowned upon for me to remove all my clothes, ask her to hold my glasses and watch, and demand to use the toilet immediately before she weighs me, so it's not a level playing field.

So you're saying I'm not really supposed to do this?? Ooops.

Maybe if you explain it's all in the name of accuracy.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    I should also mention that the nurse who weighed me did it flippantly and fast so I don't even know if she was really paying attention to the balance thingy to make sure it was accurate.

This could have something to do with it. You will definitely do best to lose slowly over time. The weight will be more likely to stay off and you will be able to transition to maintenance easier.
  • bagge72
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I should also mention that the nurse who weighed me did it flippantly and fast so I don't even know if she was really paying attention to the balance thingy to make sure it was accurate.

This could have something to do with it. You will definitely do best to lose slowly over time. The weight will be more likely to stay off and you will be able to transition to maintenance easier.

OP it doesn't make sense to me why you would pick the doctors office as the place you want to track your weight? If you don't think the person is doing it accurately what's the point?

• Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

And by either measurement you have lost a lot

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.

I looked at your diary and profile. I see that you are quite young and perhaps not knowledable how all this works.

The past two days you have eaten 800 calories. I can only assume since this scale issues has you creating a larger deficit than is healthy? What your diary shows is a lot of lower calorie days under the recommended min to loose weight healthy. You will loose a good bit of muscle mass you have with this very aggressive way are choosing to loose weight. No one wants to loose their muscle.

It would not be right after seeing this to not say something. Please do not go below your calories goal of 1300 calories. This is dangerous and very harmful.

Lastly, stop the scale obsession, I do not have the answer other than stick to the home scale and weight under the conditions I laid out, but please get back on track and keep moving forward. Your weight loss will happen as long as you use the MFP app and a food scale as these two things are to be used together for successful weight loss. Use these two things and eat your number of calories MFP gave you to loose weight and you have great sucess.

And patience is your best friend right now!!

I had my wisdom teeth pulled so I am not doing it on purpose. I am scared to get sites infected so I am mostly sticking to a liquid diet which sometimes has me a lot lower than I would like. I will resume to 1200-1300 when I feel comfortable with eating solids again. Although I wonder if I should stick to at least 1000-1100 to lose 2lbs a week.

Also I am not obsessed. I have been doing this for 6 years and I do know how it works. Its just I don't want my scale to be off by 6lbs because when I resume back to my normal diet, its going to go up and I am going to be like what the heck happened?

And as for the muscle loss... that's why I am consuming a lot of protein and will start lifting on Saturday (after about a week of wisdom teeth extraction) to combat muscle loss (don't worry, I am not an idiot). I also have a large frame so it would take about a month or more of eating like that to lose a significant amount of muscle. I don't feel weak at all so I know its not affecting me yet but it won't come to that because when I can eat solids again, I will be eating a lot of protein and fat.

My concern was just with my scale because I invested a lot of money into it. But thanks for the advice!!! :)
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

You need to use a more scientific approach here. This is a long-game, not putt putt.

Just like no person is a statistic, no individual scale reading is an indicator of your weight loss. What you are looking for are TRENDS. Use the same scale, try not to move it, take your weight at the SAME time every day (early AM after pe...uh...using the bathroom, dry but before your shower, before eating). record that, and plot it over weeks. Its going to juggle around some, for 2 reasons....YOU weigh a little more or less each day, and the SCALE is a physical instrument calibrated to some percentage but it varies too.

I feel the same thing, The doctor only writes down what they see on the scale. So I just make sure before a dr visit I don't drink any extra glasses of water, and I ask to remove my shoes.

You want to lose weight gradually. Results will stick better. And your changed habits will become cemented and reinforce that.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options

Yeah after seeing your post I was looking at her diary, and there are days as low as 450 calories.

ditto!
  • Elaina291
    Options

ditto!

That was the day I had my wisdom teeth removed. I couldn't eat anything because I was too sick and drugged up lol
  • RoxieDawn
    edited July 2016
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

And by either measurement you have lost a lot

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.

I looked at your diary and profile. I see that you are quite young and perhaps not knowledable how all this works.

The past two days you have eaten 800 calories. I can only assume since this scale issues has you creating a larger deficit than is healthy? What your diary shows is a lot of lower calorie days under the recommended min to loose weight healthy. You will loose a good bit of muscle mass you have with this very aggressive way are choosing to loose weight. No one wants to loose their muscle.

It would not be right after seeing this to not say something. Please do not go below your calories goal of 1300 calories. This is dangerous and very harmful.

Lastly, stop the scale obsession, I do not have the answer other than stick to the home scale and weight under the conditions I laid out, but please get back on track and keep moving forward. Your weight loss will happen as long as you use the MFP app and a food scale as these two things are to be used together for successful weight loss. Use these two things and eat your number of calories MFP gave you to loose weight and you have great sucess.

And patience is your best friend right now!!

I had my wisdom teeth pulled so I am not doing it on purpose. I am scared to get sites infected so I am mostly sticking to a liquid diet which sometimes has me a lot lower than I would like. I will resume to 1200-1300 when I feel comfortable with eating solids again. Although I wonder if I should stick to at least 1000-1100 to lose 2lbs a week.

Also I am not obsessed. I have been doing this for 6 years and I do know how it works. Its just I don't want my scale to be off by 6lbs because when I resume back to my normal diet, its going to go up and I am going to be like what the heck happened?

And as for the muscle loss... that's why I am consuming a lot of protein and will start lifting on Saturday (after about a week of wisdom teeth extraction) to combat muscle loss (don't worry, I am not an idiot). I also have a large frame so it would take about a month or more of eating like that to lose a significant amount of muscle. I don't feel weak at all so I know its not affecting me yet but it won't come to that because when I can eat solids again, I will be eating a lot of protein and fat.

My concern was just with my scale because I invested a lot of money into it. But thanks for the advice!!! :)

But you have been eating one day 450, many more days under 1100. You are not doing this diet right and moreover doing any justice to your health. And you confirmed earlier that you would be dropping calories again more to get the scale to move.

Protein alone does not preserve muscle. What preserves muscle is accumulation of things, slow non aggressive weightloss, strength training, and ample protein. If you do not want to do strength training then slowing down the diet and ample protein will preserve some. The size of you body frame does not matter.

You have been doing this 6 years and the scale is still surprising you?

I did not call you and idiot, I said that you were young and possibly not very knowledgeable how the MFP process works.

Lastly just because you might feel alright today or tomorrow, does not mean that slowly you are working towards feeling really bad in the future by choosing to diet this way, because it will eventually catch up to you, and you will be visiting a doctor by then trying to find out what is wrong with you and why you feel bad
  • Elaina291
    Options
    AJF230 wrote: »

You need to use a more scientific approach here. This is a long-game, not putt putt.

Just like no person is a statistic, no individual scale reading is an indicator of your weight loss. What you are looking for are TRENDS. Use the same scale, try not to move it, take your weight at the SAME time every day (early AM after pe...uh...using the bathroom, dry but before your shower, before eating). record that, and plot it over weeks. Its going to juggle around some, for 2 reasons....YOU weigh a little more or less each day, and the SCALE is a physical instrument calibrated to some percentage but it varies too.

I feel the same thing, The doctor only writes down what they see on the scale. So I just make sure before a dr visit I don't drink any extra glasses of water, and I ask to remove my shoes.

You want to lose weight gradually. Results will stick better. And your changed habits will become cemented and reinforce that.

I know this is a life long process. I am not trying to rush things, its just how can two scales be off in the same time of day and I hadn't eaten or drunk anything since I left the dr. office when I weighed myself at home 40 min later.

Are you telling me my weight can go down 6lbs in 40 min?

And I usually weigh myself everyday in the early am and before going to the dr office had a trend of 201...200...199...198 every two or three days since I went low carb on the 14th.