Disturbing

Options

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    jester13 wrote: »
    What is with voicing what works for yourself that drives the fitness world crazy. Do what you want I'm not here to stop you from eating 1300 calories a day. I simply said it is disturbing to me. Because 1500 or 1300 calories is nothing a day. Just my opinion. Everyone gets so offended so easy. I to need help to lose and always look for what might have worked with others. You do you. Just throwing my 2 cents and experience in.

As a 5'5" 27 y/o with a desk job, I eat 1400-1500 to lose weight and 1800 to maintain. It's easy to hit my macros on these calories, I have adequate energy, and I still fit wine in. I'm sorry you find this "disturbing" when it's a healthy, reasonable amount for a large number of people, especially women. This is hardly "extremely low" or VLCD territory.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I ate almost nothing this weekend. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone and don't try to do it, but sometimes that's how circumstances unfold. Drove 200 miles for a bike ride, stayed in a hotel, did a long hike the next day. Had a protein bar and some peanuts. Most of the drive was through country with no stores or restaurants, gas station crap and bar food did not appeal. As a result, it's taken me longer than normal to recover from the exertion.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    What is with voicing what works for yourself that drives the fitness world crazy. Do what you want I'm not here to stop you from eating 1300 calories a day. I simply said it is disturbing to me. Because 1500 or 1300 calories is nothing a day. Just my opinion. Everyone gets so offended so easy. I to need help to lose and always look for what might have worked with others. You do you. Just throwing my 2 cents and experience in.

A short female with not much to lose could easily be eating 1300 calories and only be in a 300 calorie deficit.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I find your lack of faith disturbing.
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    This has been the best discussion I've had on here so far. Again I'm not bashing anyone's diet. You do you. All about learning from others and growing. Don't be offended because of the title or take it personal. It's just harder for me and I'm sure other 200lb males to understand it because I can eat 3000 calories and be in a deficit.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    jester, I'm with you and totally agree. Folks don't realize that under eating is the worst thing you can do to try and lose weight (your body ends up gaining it all back and then some). I'm older than most of you, and do my best to eat enough to fuel my body (as well as my workouts) by mostly eating REAL FOOD, watching the portion sizes and cutting back on the sugar. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy cake, pizza, chocolate, etc., but in moderation. My diary is open for anyone to view if they want. B)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Making unsolicited, blanket statements about what others are doing wrong, without even specifying who you are referring to, is is never a good idea OP....

While I think there are a lot of people on MFP who could be eating more calories and losing weight, but making comments that 1300 or 1500 is "nothing a day" is a bit of a stretch. For petite, sedentary women, 1300-1500 is an appropriate net, or maybe even gross goal, if someone isn't exercising much.

I'm 5'2 and my maintenance cals are 2200, but I'm a bit of an anomaly because I'm very active.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This has been the best discussion I've had on here so far. Again I'm not bashing anyone's diet. You do you. All about learning from others and growing. Don't be offended because of the title or take it personal. It's just harder for me and I'm sure other 200lb males to understand it because I can eat 3000 calories and be in a deficit.

La ti fricken dah

lol. This is why we are friends...and because you love beer too.
  • abitofbliss
    abitofbliss Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs on a VLCD - I was on top of the world. I met a guy and we fell in love and went out for eats/drinks just about every night. It took a while for me to gain all the weight plus some back but I did eventually. Now I am losing the weight in what people consider 'the healthy way' and while I am super impatient, I still feel like I am going to be able to keep the weight off easier this time. Who knows what my future holds but I believe I will have better habits and relationship with my body overall to maintain my new weight when I reach it.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

For me, 1500 Gross/NET is losing less than 1lb per week (400 deficit)....and I have 50lbs to lose. I'm not starving at all, not am I harming my body.
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    jester, I'm with you and totally agree. Folks don't realize that under eating is the worst thing you can do to try and lose weight (your body ends up gaining it all back and then some). I'm older than most of you, and do my best to eat enough to fuel my body (as well as my workouts) by mostly eating REAL FOOD, watching the portion sizes and cutting back on the sugar. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy cake, pizza, chocolate, etc., but in moderation. My diary is open for anyone to view if they want. B)
    Stopping the VLCD or just LCD does not weight gain, not maintaining the loss by eating continuously over maintenance does. Many never learn how to maintain their loss and believe "YEAH, I've lost all the weight! Now I can eat what and as much as I want" or just resume 'eating normally' and gain the weight back on.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

2cvxfj46kukg.gif

Yet you're going around snooping in diaries and making posts about it in general chat. You're not just doing you, you're trying to do everyone else.

1. Giggity
    2. Agree. OP, I am still not understanding the point of your post. You seem to think most of us aren't eating enough. What calorie goal would you give a 5'4" woman who lifts 3x a week and runs a few miles 2x a week? Hint: It's nowhere near 3000 calories a day.