Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Sorry I've been MIA--just haven't had much to post.

@tracy-- That sounds delicious. It's definitely a splurge, but you can make up for it over the next few days.

@niki-- that's an awesome loss! I've also had a couple of good days within my calorie range. Trying to keep the streak going.

@taburbey -- whoa, that's awesome!!

@mrsflint-- that's great that people are starting to notice! I also didn't tell many people about my efforts, but it was great when they started to see a difference.

@luckyjaw-- Do you mean it would see the amount of protein, carbs, etc from the food diary and then tell you what to eat? That would be an awesome app! Usually if I'm under goal I look at my macros and try to eat something that's low (usually protein, for me).

@marsha-- I saw that bump ;)-- nice to see you pop in!

Sunday Share:
    Since there are some new folks, I'll do a quick share. I'm karen, a hs english lit teacher from chicago. I'm married with one fur-kid, my boxer/shepherd mix, gunner. I've been on MFP since march of 2011, and have posted in this thread since july 2011. My starting weight was 247 and I've been as low as 182 and bounced between 182-187 for a couple of years before gaining back about 10 lbs over the last school year. Currently my weight has been fluctuating in the upper 190s, and it's completely frustrating that I seem incapable of getting my act together for more than a couple of days in a row concerning my nutrition. I know what I need to do, but I'm just not doing it consistently.

Monday Check-in:
    I went to the gym yesterday and worked out for 2 and a half hours. That's the longest I've worked out in ages, and it felt good. Today was just a walk with the dog and some light yard work pulling weeds. Tomorrow will be a gym workout again. I've also had 2 really good days in a row for nutrition. As I mentioned to niki, I want to keep the streak going. Tomorrow should be no problem, then Wed I'm meeting my godson and his wife in the city for dinner. He's a personal trainer, and they are both pretty heath conscious, so I'm sure if I ask that we go someplace with healthy choices, they will be down for that.

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 6/12
    Run at least 15/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    226 k done/ 774 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + work out DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + work out
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + work out
    Fri-- walk gunner + work out
    Sat-- walk gunner + work out
  • beanold
    beanold Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am about 100 lbs overweight and I want to shed those pounds to get healthy and live a fuller lifestyle. What has helped you to be successful?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    luckylaw wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    luckylaw wrote: »
    I wish there was an app that could give me recipes based on what's missing in my nutrients. That would be awesome!

Not certain exactly what you mean. Are you talking about your micro-nutrients like vitamins and minerals? If so, the way you get a good balance of those is to eat a variety of foods from all the food groups. Plenty of variety in the veggie and fruit family of foods, moderate amounts of meat and dairy and small amounts of nuts on a daily basis so you get a good variety and balance over the course of the week. ... cause it ain't what you do today, it's what you do consistently day-to-day that supplies your body with the nutrients it needs.

You can look at the USDA nutritional recommendations for charts and stuff. Actually, I've seen some pretty interestiing nutritional guidelines from other countries as well ... Canada, United Kingdom, Austrailia ... that say much the same thing as the USA guides do.
    s

Basically, I wish I could put into an app that I need a recipe with 35g protein, 20g carbs, 20g fat, etc. and it tell me what to make. On good days I'm eating what I should in terms of what I choose, but I'm always low on all my micronutrients and calories. By a lot on some days and I'm eating three meals and at least two snacks. I just can't seem to get it together, but I'm trying.

I've got a lot of weight to lose, I'm afraid that if I cut my calories too low now, it'll be impossible to get low enough when my body plateaus. I'm trying to keep over 1500 and failing. MFP says I need 1970.

OK, I get you. It's macronutrients you are concerned about ... the ratio of carbs to fats to protein. I have a hard time with that also.

Actually, even if you could find such an app, it wouldn't be exact on the distribution, and it doesn't have to be.
    I think to question to ask yourself is "Am I hungry?" If you are hungry within 4 hours of your last meal, you might consider putting more food into the meals so you stay fuller for a longer period of time. That's where you will hear people talking up increasing either the fat or the protein portions because those 'stay' with you longer.

Here's a tip that does work ... use the 'plate' method (but still weigh/measure so you can properly log) ... 1/2 of your plate with veggies of your choice, 1/4 of your plate with your protein, 1/4 of your plate with something starchy (potato, pasta, rice, chips, pretzels, rolls, bread, etc.) Add a piece of fruit and a glass of milk on the side ... and if you are not hungry for the milk and fruit at the meal, save those for a snack in case you need it.

The milk part can be any dairy you like equivalent to a glass of milk ... 1 1/2 ounce hard cheese or 1/2 cup cottage cheese, or a cheese stix or those baby swisses that come in little triangles. (I actually like the little baby sized Edam cheese balls the best but like the baby swiss triangles to put on celery for a snack).

Good luck.
  • JoenDeb1958
    JoenDeb1958 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Goinstd12
    It's OK to splurge just remember that u can't do that every day or more than for special occasions.
    If you deny yourself then u start wanting it......that's me n carbs. I love cake but I know I can't eat it all the time or every day if I want to be healthy and keep my sugars in check.
  • JoenDeb1958
    edited July 2016
    Options
    beanold wrote: »
    Hello, I am about 100 lbs overweight and I want to shed those pounds to get healthy and live a fuller lifestyle. What has helped you to be successful?

I have learnt a lesson that I wanna be alive to see great grnd children.
    So little carbs, lots protein, lots veggies, type 2 diabetic so light on fruits.
    Workout daily....move, move, and more move.
    Best of luck to you.
  • MrsFlint2013
    MrsFlint2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tuesday Goals:
    Now that we have a small fitness center to go to, my goal is to work out in there 3 times per week, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I already started yesterday and feel the soreness today. Baby steps are a good thing!
  • taburbey
    taburbey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goal- Try to help my hubby understand that fat free does not mean calorie free. He brought home a fat free lemon poppyseed muffin and I was oh so tempted. However, upon further inspection the calories were 450! I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I didn't want to hurt his feelings when I know he was trying to do something nice and supportive.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @taburbey --that's a tough one, but good for you for saying no. When I first started MFP, it was really hard b/c my DH does most of the cooking. He is a wonderful cook and it's one of the ways he feels he's taking care of me. Prior to MFP, if I was trying lose weight, he would get hurt when I didn't want 2nd helpings of something--"Don't you like it?" With MFP, I would just say, "it's delicious, but I only have enough calories for one serving" or sometimes, "it looks delicious, but I just can't fit that into my calorie allowance." He quickly learned to make some healthy substitutions, so I could have more than a small taste of the meals. He also learned to warn me ahead of time if he was planning something higher calorie for dinner so I could make it fit by adjusting earlier meals and getting in a good calorie burn ahead of time.

@mrsflint-- that sounds like a great goal. The soreness will lessen as your body gets used to the workouts. :smile:

@beanold-- welcome! The one thing that really made a difference for me (aside from logging my intake) was buying a food scale.

Tuesday Goals:
    As I mentioned last night, my goal is to keep this streak of good eating and workouts going for more than just a few days. I'm on track today after an hour-long session at the gym. :smile:

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 7/12
    Run at least 17/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    228 k done/ 772 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + work out DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + work out DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + work out
    Fri-- walk gunner + work out
    Sat-- walk gunner + work out
  • luckylaw
    luckylaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals:
    No fast food this week
    Go to the gym at least two more times

I went without fast food last week and weighed in with my trainer today: down 4 lbs!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)
    Maybe I ought to wait a few more hours until it is Wenesday, then I could make this be my 'Wedneday Wish' post ... and I could say to @skinnyjeanzbound that I wish I were as well organized as she is. Karen, you always wow me.

Today's goal was to do some cooking .. and I did do that. Certainly not as much as I had wanted to do ... but then, I've come to expect that I would fall-short because that's been my pattern. At any rate, I made a lovely bone-in split chicken breast roast with some carrots and onion nestled around the breast and then grilled some thick slices of zucchini to finish out the meal. I ate 1/2 of one split breast and left the rest for other days. It's really interesting to me how those 4 raw bone-in split breasts weighed 4 pounds when I bought them, and how 1 chciken split breast roasted looks kinda small until you cut it and start to eat. I went way over my goal for protein with that meal for a change.

@luckylaw ,,, that is a good goal, no fast food. I haven't had a restaurant/fast food meal since June 5th and it took a long long long time to get to that point. Some of it had to do with I was using take-out and restaurants because I was too lazy to cook.

@taburbey ...Husbands! You gotta love em if you have em! Could you have shared it with him, and only ate 1/4 of that tempting muffin?

@MrsFlint2013 ... 3 times a week workout is recommended. 150 minutes a week is another number I've heard. Baby steps for sure, who needs that pain!

@JoenDeb1958 ...Everything in moderation. ... Right?!!

@beanold ... hi to you also. Is this the first time you are attempting to shed weight? I think most of us are still in that struggle and had moderate success, or we wouldn't still be on here trying to get to our final destination! The best advise I can offer is don't give up. The next best is make a plan and give that plan time to come to fruition.

@GOINSTD12 ...Hi, it was good to see you pop in. So glad you are still giving it all you can. Birthday cakes are meant to be samples and enjoyed with glee for the joyful occassion ... no regrets over it, ever!

@GrammyWhammy ... I saw that BUMP! Hope you guys are doing great!

@vschwgrt1 ... Isn't it amazing that we are sometimes so very careful and fearful of not getting enough to eat? Our resilient bodies know better ... we can go quite a wile with no food, little, food, unbalanced food ... it's the vitality that we might eventually miss. But then, vitality also needs hard physical work to tax the muscles and things that make our hearts run hard and fast and rapid deep breaths, and plenty of sleep and stress releasing encounters.

Night all
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Checking in. I've been very lazy with logging and watching my sweets lately. Summer really drains all my energy, i get sun burned and Sun sick and heat sick very easily. I haven't been Going to as many jazzercise classes. Got out of the habit because of work and heat/humidity. i will work on getting back on track.

This weekend will be our 3rd Saturday in a row to go house hunting. We saw 8 homes the first time, and then we went back to 2 for a better look the 2nd week.

Wednesday wish: that we find a home. That i get back on track. That this annoying lady doesn't call me at work today (or ever again! )
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Moddybear I understand you...I live in Alabama and the heat and humidity is a killer.
    Good luck on househunting
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    Nikion901
    You know moderation is the key of life.
  • JoenDeb1958
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tootsanderson-

Congratulation on your achievement despite your anxiety during your road trip.
    I actually just joined in the boards.... seeking direction, encouragement,and reinforcement....
    Friend me.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have really been working on not reacting to things, and getting upset and going to food to "fix everything" and feel better.

Working on dealing with stress more effectively. And depression. Sitting on the sofa, watching tv, is not going to fix it any more than going for a long walk. So, may as well listen to a new audible book, and walk.

Audible books are my rewards, and motivation for exercise. I love the Great Courses series, anything by John Sandford, and yes, I love all romances!
  • JoenDeb1958
    Options
    mickey2942 wrote: »
    I have really been working on not reacting to things, and getting upset and going to food to "fix everything" and feel better.

Working on dealing with stress more effectively. And depression. Sitting on the sofa, watching tv, is not going to fix it any more than going for a long walk. So, may as well listen to a new audible book, and walk.

Audible books are my rewards, and motivation for exercise. I love the Great Courses series, anything by John Sandford, and yes, I love all romances!

I was where you were and you know what I did quit. I was so stressed out from work that I didn't know if I was coming or going.
    I'm an emotional eater. So I turned to food.
    This year I vowed to change my lifestyle. I lost my mother February, and all sorts of bad things were happening.
    So I saw a nutritionist, a diabetes CRN, worked with a therapist, and lost some weight.
    My guilty pleasure is relaxing, growing tomatoes and exercising.
    Love to read murder mysteries.
    Add me as a friend we'll encourage each other.

• JoenDeb1958
    Options
    mickey2942 wrote: »

Add me as friend we will work on it together.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thursday Truth ...

I've joined a second challenge group. This one is called '2016 - Lose 1 pound a week'. I have entered a challenge to succeed at your personal calorie goal. As that is something I keep track of on here as well, that was a natural for me to get into. I have not missed a day of reporting my complete food intake at all thus far this entire year.

I had to change my goals on MFP because I have a new height measurement that would affect the calories I can have
    .... what prompted me to check that is a recent conversation with a dear friend I have known my whole life. She is a few years older than me, and I have noticed over the years that she appears shorter than I recall her being. We were looking at a recent photo of the two of us and when we compared it to one from when we were much younger you could see she was noticeably shorter than me now as compared to then. She was at the doctor's the other day and called to tell me the nurse measured her and she came in a whopping 2.5 inches shorter than her known stats have always been. So I got myself measured also. Ha, Ha, Ha, I am 1 inch shorter than I was !!!

So now I am a 71 year old lady who is only 5 foot 2 1/2 inches tall and that means my ultimate goal weight is less than I have had in mind. Ah well, will I ever get to even break out of the morbidly obese category? God willing, yes.
  • mrssophiemoreno2016
    mrssophiemoreno2016 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I'm Sophia and I need to lose over 100 pounds. I can't believe that I let myself go this much. Last year this time I was a beast in the gym. My life changed tremendously (divorce) and I guess that caused it. I'm not upset about the divorce because it was looooooong overdue. I just don't know why I'm in such a slump. I eat whatever and don't really care. Now my body is telling me that I need to care. Knees hurt. Feet stay swollen. Developed HBP and have no energy to do anything. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I think I'm slowly killing myself.