Age an issue or an excuse?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Age is just a fact, we age. However, i do think it contributes to how easily we bounce back from things, which i believe is also just a fact. Most of us can confirm that at 20 you were likely able to drink and party 'til dawn and still get to class or work the next day... but now in your 40'sor 50's, you need a little longer to recover from that sort of thing. For me, same thing applies with exercising - i can still walk 10 km, but i won't feel like i want to do it again tomorrow, or garden all day moving soil and rocks but the aches and strains seem to hang about a bit longer now at 49 than they did at 29. And that is natural.... at 29 i was up all day working, up much of the nights with one or the other of my babies, no time to be seriously ill or otherwise out of commission and we are made to be more resilient when we are younger as we are biologically wired to have offspring that need watching, chasing and protecting. Not so as we near and surpass middle age.... So,if i say i am tired or sore the day after a big workout, it isn't an excuse not to work out again, but it is just a fact that i don't recover as easily as i used to, things get a little worn with time, a little crooked with overuse, and need a little extra care to function as they used to. does my age keep me from losing weight? Not all by itself... but the fact that i can only handle one or two glasses of wine now, when several double cocktails wouldn't slow me much 25 years ago is evidence that my whole system is moving slower - i take longer to metabolize alcohol out of my system, i don't burn as many calories as quickly as i used to, i take longer to recover from intense efforts.... Aging is just aging. We age up and things change in our bodies, from infant through to the end of our days, and we don't just keep getting better and stronger all the way through. If that were the case, we would all be super fit at 90!

I'm your age and have noticed all these slower bounce back issues myself.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Age is just an excuse. And a pretty poor one at that.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I think metabolism decrease with age is not that big of a deal. Sure, it happens, but not nearly to the extent most think. I will be 60 this year, post menopausal, and have lost 33 lbs.

Agree that it is not as significant as some would have you believe but also add that metabolic slow down as we age is a correlation but not the cause of the slowdown - it is that as we get older, we typically lead more sedentary lives. So, those that buck that trend (by leading more active lives) maintain their metabolic rate.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I'm 40 and am in the best shape of my life.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Age is just a fact, we age. However, i do think it contributes to how easily we bounce back from things, which i believe is also just a fact. Most of us can confirm that at 20 you were likely able to drink and party 'til dawn and still get to class or work the next day... but now in your 40'sor 50's, you need a little longer to recover from that sort of thing. For me, same thing applies with exercising - i can still walk 10 km, but i won't feel like i want to do it again tomorrow, or garden all day moving soil and rocks but the aches and strains seem to hang about a bit longer now at 49 than they did at 29. And that is natural.... at 29 i was up all day working, up much of the nights with one or the other of my babies, no time to be seriously ill or otherwise out of commission and we are made to be more resilient when we are younger as we are biologically wired to have offspring that need watching, chasing and protecting. Not so as we near and surpass middle age.... So,if i say i am tired or sore the day after a big workout, it isn't an excuse not to work out again, but it is just a fact that i don't recover as easily as i used to, things get a little worn with time, a little crooked with overuse, and need a little extra care to function as they used to. does my age keep me from losing weight? Not all by itself... but the fact that i can only handle one or two glasses of wine now, when several double cocktails wouldn't slow me much 25 years ago is evidence that my whole system is moving slower - i take longer to metabolize alcohol out of my system, i don't burn as many calories as quickly as i used to, i take longer to recover from intense efforts.... Aging is just aging. We age up and things change in our bodies, from infant through to the end of our days, and we don't just keep getting better and stronger all the way through. If that were the case, we would all be super fit at 90!

Well said!!!
  • bigme3505
    bigme3505 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I regularly ride with guys who are in their early seventies, and they are no joke on the bike. I hope to be in half the shape they are when I'm that age.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    In 2010, at age 53, I weighed 235lbs w/ BF of 35%. I felt OLD, and was starting to look that way. Finally did something about it in 2011, losing 45lbs. BF dropped to just under 20%. It was like discovering the fountain of youth.

I became and remain active in endurance sports with no end in sight. My inspiration is the gentlemen I saw lined up at the swim start in a recent race, where competitors are marked by sex and age. This guy's calf was marked "M88", and let me tell you, he was fairly fast.

For anyone interested in learning a bit about performance factors as we age, Joel Friel's "Fast after 50" is a good read.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Age is definitely a factor but there are ways to work around it. It does require more patience, and more acceptance of loose skin IMHO.