Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Gym Etiquette

Options
123457»

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    kblkmw wrote: »
    It is common courtesy to wipe down the machines. I don't want to sit in someone's sweat whether I am at risk for a staph infection or not.

It's a rule, for heaven's sake and takes about two minutes to follow.

It is important to me to sit on clean machines. So I clean the machines before I use them. I am a rule follower, so I also clean them after.

The rule makes more sense if people clean the machines before using, so that people for whom cleanliness and sanitation are important know that they are using clean machines and the people who don't want to clean can sit in someone else's sweat.

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

I'd love it if someone did a swab test on gym benches. My guess is that they're cleaner than the average kitchen counter.

Yep, if someone leaves obvious sweat puddles sure wipe that *kitten* off, otherwise, probably not needed.

Do people wipe down the seats on public transportation?
  • Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I ask nicely in I can work in and if not find another machine to use. It is a workout so if I can not work in it is not the end of the world.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    It is common courtesy to wipe down the machines. I don't want to sit in someone's sweat whether I am at risk for a staph infection or not.

It is important to me to sit on clean machines. So I clean the machines before I use them. I am a rule follower, so I also clean them after.

The rule makes more sense if people clean the machines before using, so that people for whom cleanliness and sanitation are important know that they are using clean machines and the people who don't want to clean can sit in someone else's sweat.

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

I'd love it if someone did a swab test on gym benches. My guess is that they're cleaner than the average kitchen counter.

Yep, if someone leaves obvious sweat puddles sure wipe that *kitten* off, otherwise, probably not needed.

What about the seats on public bathrooms?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

Maybe someone needs to come up with some of those paper toilet seat covers for gym benches.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I take 5 minute rests between sets, especially if I'm working at a higher percent of my 1rm. I also eat food between sets cause I'm fat. And I get chalk everywhere, shoot the crap with people, mess around with my phone to log workouts/take video/look at MFP. I usually have a couple pairs of shoes lying around too.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

If forced to use one, I put down several layers of toilet paper on the seat first (I don't use the provided covers because they never actually cover the seat and they're crazy thin anyway).

I call it building a nest to lay the eggs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Do you wipe down dumbbells as well? I get not wanting to sit on a wet bench, or leave a wet bench, but if one is concerned about germs wouldn't one wipe down dumbbells as well? I've belonged to gyms in different states and different countries and have never seen dumbbells wiped.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Oh lord reading all of this makes me even more petrified to join the gym! I'd just stand in the corner and weight for the piece of equipment i want to use to be free. If I shared with someone I'd feel like they were gawking at me the whole time wishing i'd hurry up, therefore I'd probably injure myself trying to get it done quickly lol

@Christine_72 There's a YMCA near me that is nicer than the gym I ended up joining. But my gym is less crowded and I can count on having my size dumbbells to myself the hour before close. I've had this policy of going at off-peak times for a number of years and don't experience the issues mentioned in this thread.

Around here places generally have a week free trial so you can go at different times of the day and find the best time for you.

Many places here give you at least one orientation session with a trainer upon joining and I recommend paying for a few more to get you comfortable.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Do you wipe down dumbbells as well? I get not wanting to sit on a wet bench, or leave a wet bench, but if one is concerned about germs wouldn't one wipe down dumbbells as well? I've belonged to gyms in different states and different countries and have never seen dumbbells wiped.

Yeah, if I was worried about germs, wiping down the dumbbells/handles would be the place I'd go long before the bench. See too many people use the toilet in the locker room, leave the stall, walk past the sink to the exercise floor.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    1.) Ask to work in
    2.) Do a different exercise in the meantime
    3.) Go at an off time so there's less people there
    4.) Workout at home
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Today at my gym there was a man using the equipment and not wiping it down. He also was a bit rough with the equipment. I was using most of the equipment after him and I thought about saying something and then remembered I am not the Gym police. ;) He seemed like he was having a bad day or life, very angry. I went to the other side of the gym.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

O.M.G! Germs!!!!!

Niles Crane wipes off everything, but he wouldn't be caught dead in a public gymnasium. Other than Niles, I've never seen anyone wipe anything off outside of a gym.

That watered-down stuff they use doesn't really sanitize anything, anyway. I've never understood why people take it so seriously, but when in Rome...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I don't like overly arrogant people. I once overheard someone say "Your workout is just my warm up!" to someone, a stranger/acquaintance to them, and that just pissed me off. We were all beginners once (I believe I still am!), and we each have our own routine. Why belittle someone for what they do in the gym? If it's a form of encouragement... Then nope. I would rather applaud someone for achieving goals, not treat someone that way, especially if we aren't close.

Oh, and wiping the equipment.

Wait, so you heard a stranger say something to someone else you don't know and then you felt qualified to be horrified on their behalf? How do you know that wasn't a joking conversation between two friends?
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    paradi3s wrote: »
    I don't like overly arrogant people. I once overheard someone say "Your workout is just my warm up!" to someone, a stranger/acquaintance to them, and that just pissed me off. We were all beginners once (I believe I still am!), and we each have our own routine. Why belittle someone for what they do in the gym? If it's a form of encouragement... Then nope. I would rather applaud someone for achieving goals, not treat someone that way, especially if we aren't close.

Oh, and wiping the equipment.

Wait, so you heard a stranger say something to someone else you don't know and then you felt qualified to be horrified on their behalf? How do you know that wasn't a joking conversation between two friends?

Hey it takes a village.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just ask to cut in or if they are done with the weights and they either get up/give me the weights or say they have one more set and get at it.