Allowed to be armed on Campus

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
With all the crazy crap going on in the US, one of the agendas being brought to attention is the discussion of college students being able to be armed on campus. Idaho does it now.
My opinion: I don't think I'd feel okay with my DD attending a college where this is allowed. I understand the "why", but I still wouldn't feel comfortable.

http://www.armedcampuses.org/idaho/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    A sign or designated zone doesn't stop people.

I agree but because of Virginia Tech, I disagree that it should be allowed since the assailant there; would've been what's allowed to be armed: a student.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    More guns fixes the problems

Yeah
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Hey_Its_That_One_Guy Posts: 21,763 Member
    Options
    For me, I think it would depend on how it was regulated. For instance, I have a concealed carry permit, so I know (at least in my state) what it takes to obtain one, so I would be fairly comfortable with those who have that permit. I don't think that just any college student who wants to carry a gun, should.

I agree with this.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    Unfortunately many criminals obtained their guns legally (when they were law abiding/sane citizens & have been executing their family, such as: Christy Sheats), some were stolen from legal gun owners, etc. Until these can be reasonably prevented, I can't vouch for gun ownership.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I agree but because of Virginia Tech, I disagree that it should be allowed since the assailant there; would've been what's allowed to be armed: a student.

He wasn't allowed to be armed yet he was armed how would allowing campus carry change this situation? Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    With all the crazy crap going on in the US, one of the agendas being brought to attention is the discussion of college students being able to be armed on campus. Idaho does it now.
    My opinion: I don't think I'd feel okay with my DD attending a college where this is allowed. I understand the "why", but I still wouldn't feel comfortable.

http://www.armedcampuses.org/idaho/

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There should be a box of guns at the gate of every airport. Before you board a plane you need to grab a gun out of the box.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    shor0814 wrote: »

He wasn't allowed to be armed yet he was armed how would allowing campus carry change this situation? Maybe I misunderstand what you are saying.

Obviously the Virginia Tech assailant, planned his crime but if a student with the same motives, doesn't take the opportunity to think twice before acting; an instantaneous decision could occur more often. Meaning that a law abiding/sane student could walk in with no intention of intentionally harming someone but then lose their temper & then do so because of an insult, directed at them.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Obviously the Virginia Tech assailant, planned his crime but if a student with the same motives, doesn't take the opportunity to think twice before acting; an instantaneous decision could occur more often. Meaning that a law abiding/sane student could walk in with no intention of intentionally harming someone but then lose their temper & then do so because of an insult, directed at them.

You do realize that there are thousands of people walking around armed and never pull out their gun? Why would a campus be different than the rest of society? Anyone that shots because of an insult or without a life threatening situation is not a sane person.

• DeficitDuchess
    Options

You do realize that there are thousands of people walking around armed and never pull out their gun? Why would a campus be different than the rest of society? Anyone that shots because of an insult or without a life threatening situation is not a sane person.

It could be a situation, in which they "snap" but since this topic was particularly concerning Campuses, I continued by elaborating upon that but this also occurs when terrible sudden/unexpected events happen as well. When a spouse asks for a divorce, someone loses their job, etc. are known to lead, to these snapping moments.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    JTGJTG wrote: »
    If students had been concealed-carrying on VA tech, would have been fewer casualties.

However there wouldn't have been any casualties, if he couldn't obtain the weapon; by it not being available.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    Options
    If students had been concealed-carrying on VA tech, would have been fewer casualties.

However there wouldn't have been any casualties, if he couldn't obtain the weapon; by it not being available.

Unfortunately that will LITERALLY NEVER HAPPEN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

There are more guns than people in the good ol' US of A.
  • Hey_Its_That_One_Guy
    edited July 2016
    Options
    And if you think a good ol "Let's just make owning guns illegal solution" will work. Look at what the "War on Drugs" did for drugs and what the "War on Terror" did for terror.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population is in enough control of their faculties not to just shoot anyone who annoys them.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

Unfortunately that will LITERALLY NEVER HAPPEN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

There are more guns than people in the good ol' US of A.

I agree
    And if you think a good ol "Let's just make owning guns illegal solution" will work. Look at what the "War on Drugs" did for drugs and what the "War on Terror" did for terror.

Well thus far military weaponry (nuclear bomb, etc.), have been kept out of our country's public hands but I am aware that just making something illegal won't work, just like prohibition didn't.
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the population is in enough control of their faculties not to just shoot anyone who annoys them.

Considering how many people're known, to legally have guns; that's undeniable.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Karb_Kween wrote: »
    More guns fixes the problems

Yeah

Look where all the mass shootings happen. Oh weird, most of them happen places where guns aren't allowed. Because criminals don't seem to care about "You can't have guns here" for some reason.

I thought most of them happened in the USA where guns are allowed though? Or am I missing your point?