Lose 5kg (11 pounds) by the end of August 2016? You bet we can. Who is with me for this challenge?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Not a single comment about how that might not be a safe rate of loss for someone with only ten pounds to lose? The general rate of safe and sustainable weight loss is:
    • 75+ pounds = 2 pounds per week
    • 50-75 = 1.5 pounds per week
    • 25-50 = 1 pound per week
    • under 25 = .5 pound per week

It really does depend on the person, if you're close to your goal (congrats!) just please give yourself adequate nutrition to sustain yourself! Good luck!!!
  • Jeandre29
    Jeandre29 Posts: 19 Member
    Goal for August: 90kg
    July 22nd (starting weight): 95kg
    July 29th: 94.2kg!!
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member

Goal for August 31st: 62kg
    July 29th (starting weight) : 67kg
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
    I'm in need to lose the belly for my holiday!
  • tdemaisy
    tdemaisy Posts: 6 Member
    Goal for August 31st:145
    July 22nd (starting weight):153
    July 29th:152
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
    Off to a good start, 1/8th of the way there
  • starlight682
    starlight682 Posts: 35 Member
    Screen name: starlight682
    Goal for August 31st: 174
    July 22nd (starting weight): 185
    July 29th: 181.2
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
  • maamee
    maamee Posts: 14 Member
    Me me me!

Screen name: maamee
    Goal for August 31st: 120

July 29th (starting weight) : 130
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:

Please add me if you're using myfitnesspal app. I've trying to be diligent in logging my food to avoid over eating and binge eating. Would love to have a support group there. :)
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    I don't know if I should be inspired by this thread or terrified that people are actually trying to lose 10 pounds in 40 days or so. Even if you fasted, it probably takes 20 days for most people to lose 10 pounds of fat. I don't think many would be willing to do a 20 day fast. The goal seems to be too extreme.
  • reneevictoria91
    reneevictoria91 Posts: 4 Member
    Screen name: reneevictoria91
    Goal for August 31st: 73kgs
    July 22nd (starting weight): 78kgs
    July 29th: 75.1kgs
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:

Okay so I weighed in at 78kgs after eating last week, today I weighed first thing in the morn on an empty stomach so the results may not be 100% exact. BUT I exceeded my "lose one kilo per week" goal though, yaaass! I'd be surprised at myself if I get down to less than 73 by August 31
  • cjscaligirl
    cjscaligirl Posts: 1 Member
    Does anyone know how to add friends on fitness pal?
  • 2Young4This
    2Young4This Posts: 172 Member
    Does anyone know how to add friends on fitness pal?

Click on the name and then click it again and click the little person with a plus sign. I added you just now anyway!
  • lchp
    lchp Posts: 10 Member
    Goal for August 31: 218.6
    July 24th (starting weight): 228.6
    July 29th: 226.2
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
  • carriels7
    carriels7 Posts: 39 Member
    Today is the 3015th. Is it too late to join?
  • ivylyon
    ivylyon Posts: 172 Member
    dykask wrote: »
    I don't know if I should be inspired by this thread or terrified that people are actually trying to lose 10 pounds in 40 days or so. Even if you fasted, it probably takes 20 days for most people to lose 10 pounds of fat. I don't think many would be willing to do a 20 day fast. The goal seems to be too extreme.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the actual goal is 5kgs in 5 weeks. Yes, it's a challenge, which is the point of the group, but 1 kg per week is certainly possible and within MFP parameters.
    No one has suggested fasting, and certainly not for
    20 days. If you really think such extreme methods are the only way to lose weight then please talk to a doctor.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    edited July 2016
    ivylyon wrote: »
    dykask wrote: »

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from but the actual goal is 5kgs in 5 weeks. Yes, it's a challenge, which is the point of the group, but 1 kg per week is certainly possible and within MFP parameters.
    No one has suggested fasting, and certainly not for
    20 days. If you really think such extreme methods are the only way to lose weight then please talk to a doctor.

5kgs is 11 lbs ... 10 lbs is routinely being used. 35 days is even tighter than 40 days. I saw many posters in the low 100's range jumping on the 10 lbs down by Aug. 31st bandwagon and if you are 140 dropping to 130 isn't the same as someone that is 226 dropping to 216.

Depending on who you listen too, less than 5% of calorie reduction diets work, that is 95% of dieters fail. The normal case is people do lose some weight but either give up because it is too stressful or simply can't maintain the loss because their metabolism has shifted lower. Then they end up even gaining back more weight than they have lost. This type of crash dieting sets people up for long term failure. Yo-yo dieting isn't a good thing.

There is something inherently wrong with a weight loss challenge that is extreme like this. It should be about making healthy life style changes not about playing games with your body or diet. Losing a kg a week is an extreme diet. It normally takes over 1000 kc deficit per day. That is a lot even for a larger person.

Medical doctors are very good at knowing how your body is doing, as a rule, most are often a bit weak on dieting. Medical schools typically don't teach much about nutrition or dieting. There are doctors that have applied themselves to nutrition and are experts, they are the exceptions. However if you want to know how your liver is doing, your doctor is the correct source.
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    This is great! ❤️ thanks for the motivation!
    Screen name: lzap27
    Goal for August 31st: 195
    July 22nd (starting weight): 206
    July 29th: 205
    August 5th:
    August 12th:
    August 19th:
    August 26th:
    August 31st:
  • bonam3
    bonam3 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm also in! Though starting today July 30, 2016