WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY

Options

Replies

• grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    c3, d2, r2, and I didn't lose anything this morning, which is ok by me, cuz I was beginning to worry that I was losing like a .5 lb for 6 days straight.. not my bodies mode... but it's ok.

Still lots of knee and leg pain... going to chiropractor today. Hope that he might help, think it's my back that is causing the pain down my leg.

Knee is not any better, really think now it has something to do with my back, these shooting pains.

Last night had skirt steak, brocolli, carrots, and a salad. Did have 1 cup of popped popcorn and 2 grapes after playing maj jong.. (didn't win... lost 3.00 ohoh)

Have a good day...

Natalie
  • ritamerlot
    ritamerlot Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    wow...
    have a lot of reading to catch up on...

haven't been on because work has taken up most of my time since 5/24-ish.
    live in orlando, florida, so we've been embroiled in the Casey Anthony case.
    so glad that it's mostly over (tho i'm not confident of the jury decision).

hopefully will be able to read all your wonderful posts tonight or tomorrow night (probably tomorrow night...have a dance rehearsal to lead tonight).
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Day, received my Jillian Michael's triology yesterday and started with a workout yesterday........wow,,,it felt wonderful to work up a good sweat. I am anxious to try another one today...I think I will try the Yoga meltdown. Love yoga and think that this one will kick butt.

Off to take dear dog for haircut then home to workout.

Been trying to be stricter with my eating and hoping that some of these pounds will let go soon.

TTFN

Donna
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned last night, I'll explain how I came to meet "The Royals" on their visit to Ottawa.

My aunt was a War Bride and came to Canada in 1946. There were over 65,000 of them and lots settled in Ottawa. They formed a group called ESWIC (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and Canada). It was formed to help them get over their home-sickness and to solve problems of living in a strange land. They hadn't met for a number of years but did get together for the 50th anniversary. There have been some things over the years since then, and the President was awarded the OBE by the Queen a few years ago.

The President is a keener and a few of them were invited to a tree planting event with the Queen last year, and so when it was known that Will and Kate were coming this year she made some phone calls.

On Saturday 25 Veterans and 5 War Brides were invited to a light lunch at the War Museum (it was very light!). They were each invited to bring 4 guests, so there were only 125 people. We were at tables of 5 and after the first couple of tables which the Royals went to together, they split up and Kate came across to our table. She shook hands with each of us and chatted
    about where my aunt had come from and each of us in turn. She was very 'ordinary' and seemed genuinely interested in what people had to say. In fact, she was chatting so much that she had to be reminded to move on to the next table.

My aunt has Altzheimers and I now do all the work by way of secretarial and treasurer duties (which she used to do), so I was happy to be included in the invitation. It was a lot of work in the preceding couple of weeks because several of the ladies were sick and couldn't decide if they could go or not. In fact, one came from the hospital and was going back immediately after the event.

One amusing thing - they unveiled a very large mural done by Augustus John which the museum has recently acquired. Part way along the picture, it looked like there was a door in the mural. After it had been unveiled we could see that the Duke and Duchesse were laughing. The announcer then said that the mural had been on the wall in a dance studio in London, and yes,
    that was a door part way along.

It was nice to see them so closely interacting with each other - little touches between them. Something one of the veterans said and William sort of slumped his shoulders and Kate said "Aaahhhhh" and rubbed his back.

All in all a lovely event (could just have had a bit more lunch and a cup of tea)!

Local paper coverage is at:
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/royal-visit/bride+wishes+Kate+long+happy+marriage/5041875/story.html

Look at Video in the heading and you can find the video - back of my head - lady with pale turquoise and cream round hat was at our table and when Kate is leaning forward chatting that was when she was talking with us.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had managed to find a royal blue dress, sort of scoop neckline with small sleeves and tiered skirt. I felt I needed something on the top as my bra straps showed a bit.

On Canada Day, we drove down to the US for the afternoon and I managed to find a bright red small purse with spaghetti strap and a pale blue shrug cardigan.

My haircut from the previous week was ok when I left home, but by the time the Duke and Duchesse arrived, it looked like I had a cowlick at the front which wouldn't lay down even though I tried to dampen it when I went to the washroom.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day.Didi`t do good with the holidays,up 6 lbs.Gotta work harder.
    I`ve been doing a lot of swimming as it`s low impact and doesn`t bother my knee.
    have a great day!
    For those who are suffering,hope you get relief fast.
    Hugs to all
    jane
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What a wonderful thing resolve is....until it isn't anymore.:cry: I can be so determined, and then just fall apart. Not emotionally, but completely disregard all of my good intentions. I know when I posted just as soon as I ate a meal or exercised I stayed on top of things better. Today I'm going to post throughout the day. The extra glasses of water are good for me, I know, especially during the summer months. At least one thing is getting back on track. It's good to read all your posts! You are all an encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    Just got back from the gym. It was hard to make myself go today but now I feel so much better. I had an achy back for two days and I never have a complaint about my back so it was strange. This morning I did a lot of yoga stretches in bed and when I got up, I played with my “dogsitting dogs’, paid bills and then finally got to the gym. I seemed all warmed up and today was my 45 minutes on the elliptical. I think my sore back was from sleeping on the couch to be near the Golden who is afraid of fireworks. Last night, we all (my husband and the three dogs) slept in our bed!!! The Golden is the cutest dog and found the exact middle of the bed and stayed there (I can’t wait to tell his mom). Believe it or not, it was a great night’s sleep.
    I decided to keep the same goals I had in June here. I am getting a good handle on getting to the gym and when I plan, I get in my fruits and veggies. I have trouble when “I go on automatic”…..making those healthy choices automatically.
    I read a memoir about a weight loss journey …I think it was titled: Half-Assed…The author has a website with a blog at pastaqueen.com . I haven’t visited her site yet. The book was interesting. She lost over 175 pounds. There were parts in her story that helped me. When she talked about exercise and how difficult it was to begin and later how great she felt moving….that was inspiring. She also talked about the need to persevere. I can understand that..at times it seems so easy to just give up or give in.

Birdie…. I am also in the process of cleaning out and it is tough. We have lived in this house for 23 years and we know that it is too big for all of us. I live in a duplex and my friends (they are really family in my heart) co-own this house. I can’t imagine not seeing them every day. We have accumulated so much. We started clearing out the basement (can’t even call it cleaning yet). My husband is a packrat (I would call it hoarder) and he has such a hard time letting go. I have lots of my grandparents and parents things so I had some tough moments. We know that we can work in one hour shifts (without killing each other or getting overwhelmed). I am thinking of you. I can’t imagine trying to do this all at once!

Genealace….Thank you for the description of Will and Kate’s visit. I am so glad that they spent time with such a wonderful group of people who sacrificed so much. It was great to read your description.

Jane and Doobiedoo……I went on an outing with my husband last week and in the course of the day, I didn’t drink much water. The next day I felt very thirsty and still I didn’t get my water in. Each day I noticed my weight was going up. Finally, two days ago, I really made sure I got my water in and that night, I spent a lot of time with trips to the bathroom, but my numbers were back to where I expected to be. Hang in there.
  • mynyddisamrs
    mynyddisamrs Posts: 387
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi everyone............

Showery day today.........more sun than showers which is good.
    DH is pleased ...........:happy: he's got some baby peppers on his plants! It must be warm enough in the conservatory then!
    Sad to say ...:sad: my carrots are no more! The tiny leaves have ...gone!! Carrot and coriander soup is therefore off the menu!!

Tonight while DH is at work .........:bigsmile: I'm getting plastered!! No worries..........
    No calories involved , nor alcohol!
    :smile: The plasterer is doing his work transforming the new ceiling.
    Our workmen are finishing the floor tomorrow and then they may just be finished. Then I can get the walls papered and we can get things back to normal.
    The cats have just about got used to the new space. I wish I'd had the camera ready when our little Himalayan came in from the safety of the garden after the wall went! She peeped through the door... ventured a few steps ...then looked around as if to say....:noway: "Am I in the wrong house?", then she scooted out again!!

I went shopping yesterday and managed to sneak a pair of white cropped linen trousers in my purchases. :bigsmile: I'll introduce them when the weather gets better...hopefully for my party....and say I've had them ....ages!! Mind you they were in a sale and very much reduced so I couldn't say no could I? BUT sadly to say they were not the smaller size ~i would have liked.

Anyway...........I'll say cheerio for now.
    :flowerforyou: I hope your week's going well and that you're all making those good choices.......in matters of health and heart!!

BFN
    :heart: Jackie
  • gandydancer
    gandydancer Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Good for you losing, it is a hard journey but so worth it.......I am struggling with 6 pounds and go up 3 down 1 ...up and down and it seems I add a pound and now instead of 3 lbs I have 6....track my food daily and keep under the 1200..am so down with it...but you hang in there and you will get there, if you have any advice for me I would so appreciate it....
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Birdie…. I am also in the process of cleaning out and it is tough. We have lived in this house for 23 years and we know that it is too big for all of us. I live in a duplex and my friends (they are really family in my heart) co-own this house. I can’t imagine not seeing them every day. We have accumulated so much. We started clearing out the basement (can’t even call it cleaning yet). My husband is a packrat (I would call it hoarder) and he has such a hard time letting go. I have lots of my grandparents and parents things so I had some tough moments. We know that we can work in one hour shifts (without killing each other or getting overwhelmed). I am thinking of you. I can’t imagine trying to do this all at once!

Sally, I'm not sure just how quickly we will need to do this..... as we are meeting with the realtor tonight to start gathering information. But we figure the first step is to get rid of the junk.....stuff....that has no special meaning to it but we're keeping.... for a rainy day. I'm starting a pile for "Big Sisters of RI". They pick everything up and call me when they're in the area. It's not so much the stuff as it is the "space" where so many events took place:love: . Like you said about your friends, my SIL lives directly behind me and we have some really nice neighbors that .....not seeing them....will be hard.:cry: But there are new friends to be made, I'm sure,:bigsmile: but change is hard.:frown: It's like closing a chapter of your life:ohwell: .....but starting something new:flowerforyou: . I believe God has a plan for all of us and right now the attitude has to be trust. It's like walking in a dark room but holding on to a hand you trust.:heart: I keep praying for an attitude of gratitude:happy: :flowerforyou: and not one of sadness and depression. I know we will both be alright.
  • grabbit97
    grabbit97 Posts: 445
    Options
    Went to dinner at CHAMPS, had fahitas, shrimp and steak, no tortillas, and asked for lettuce and tomoato and made a salad of sorts. Good.... yum
    Hubby stopped for a McD ice cream cone, I had a taste off the top, I was so good!!!!
    Back and leg are still hurting, when celebrex wears off, it hurts again, the leg, but too soon to tell if the chiropractor did any good, I am giving him 4 more sessions, end of next week, if I don't see some improvement, bye bye, back to the internist.. hopefully there will be some improvement.
    natalie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:chiclet, my DH is a lot like your guy friend, always telling me to lock my doors and not wanting me to go places and do things alone because he worries about me....I know he says and does all those things out of love, but sometimes it drives me crazy.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, I'm so glad to hear you're back to the healthy eating and exercising you were doing before.....I love your profile picture....you look young and slim :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Natalie, I think chiropractors are miracle workers......i hope you have good results from your visit today.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Donna, good luck with your new workout videos......someone told me that the best exercise is the one you'll do :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Genealace, thank you for sharing about your visit with the Royals, it's great to hear that Kate is as warm as she seemed to be......what a great event for you and your aunt.

:bigsmile: Doobiedoo, today can be the first day of many where you stay focused on your goals.....don't look back at the days that weren't so successful

:bigsmile: Sally, thanks for the reminder about persevering.....that fits in with my oft said, "never, never, never give up":bigsmile: :bigsmile: a lot of what I am going through belonged to my parents and grandparents.......my mother was the only child when her parents died and I was the only child when my parents died so I ended up with everything. i have been going through things and discarding for twenty years and what I have left is the most precious stuff

:flowerforyou: jackie, you have such a great way with words, your posts make me laugh :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jane, swimming is great exercise and perfect as a whole body workout ::bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Gandydancer , welcome :bigsmile: you asked for advice..........make sure your 1200 calories are all healthy food, eat some of your exercise calories, and post on this thread every day so we can get to know you and you can get to know us :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: we had a day of perfect weather, a beautiful drive to the dump to discard the hopelessly broken exercise bike, and all the usual outdoor romps with the poodles :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

• jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

My mom had a real eye opener at the age of 93. She just realized that even though she did everything she could for my brother through out his life I am the one who has always done for her even though she did a lot less for me and my kids. Her and Dad want to change their will to be more equitable between my brother and I when they pass. She always thought he would take care of her and had it set up for him to get more compensation than me if there is anything left. Now, it will be split right down the middle as it should be. They have lived with my family and I since 2003. My brother is missing something (besides the aggravation and responsibility. lol) and everything that goes around comes around.

Have a great evening all,

Jeannie

PS: to all those who have been hearing about my Mom and Dad the last few years and always have me strength and encouragement I thought you'd be glad to hear your prayers have paid off. I got told I was a good daughter today. lol
  • szqnva
    szqnva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP a few days ago. My goals for July are to get back on track and develop some self discipline! Goal #1 - track my meals no matter what! Goal #2 - Get off my duff and do some type of exercise at least 3 days per week. So far, I love this site! Seems to be full of awesome supportive people! :)
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Had a productive day and thanks to biking this morning, ended the day with a surplus of calories. Feels SO GOOD to be back on track again!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    I just got back from walking the dogs. Feels good after a busy day. I've skimmed all the posts (this is a prolific bunch of posters! :happy: ) I won't be able to check in with you tonight but I'm thinking about you. I don't know how people do MFP, work, and take care of all the miscellaneous chores it takes to keep up. Thank goodness for being mostly retired!
    :heart:
    p.s. Chiclet, you are so outgoing, I'll bet you can find a swimming buddy!
  • cervincbc59
    Options
    Looking forward to hanging out with everyone. I've just restarted MFP, so my July goals are to log my food every day and to exercise 6 days a week.
  • Patchworkperson
    Patchworkperson Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies from breezy & ovecast UK. It's still warm but rain is on the way though.

I sympathise so with those having to sort through the possessions (& memories) of a lifetime. I go gooey just looking at old photos. I can be very ruthless with some stuff but anything at all that has a connection to family no longer with us, I just have to keep.

I hope those that are in pain find relief. Nagging pain can be so exhausting. DH has been complaining about neck & head pains for ages but I had to really nag him to see the Dr. It seemed every night he was going to bed as soon as he came home & painkillers weren't helping. Dr dvised him to see a chiropractor & after two visits DH is amazed at results. He had forgotten what it was like to be pain free I think.

I'm starting anew with my healthy eating after generally taking little care over my eating for most of last week. Of course the result was a small weight gain. I'm not sure where it all went wrong but a talking to from my gym guy last night (he is so determined I'm going to loose this weight) helped my motivation. So l can't undo the poor choices I made last week but I can make better choices this week.

Hugs & good thoughts to all that need or want them. Once again, thank you for your support. You all inspire me every day.

Have a great & healthy week.

Geri
  • vidalia222
    vidalia222 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here and finding my way around. I am in London UK and started my healthy eating campaign on Monday as my kids are off travelling the world and my husband is away on business for three weeks so I am totally home alone, which is kind of strange but gives me the advantage that I can eat whatever I want so I am aiming to lose 5 kilos in the three weeks. I'm doing this by a combination of eating smaller portions of nice things - and stuff I don't get to cook very often due to it not being very popular so last night I had calves liver, mmm! I am weighing daily and have so far lost 2 kilos since Monday! Great start and although I know I can't keep up that rate it is a great motivation. I am also upping the exercise so going out for brisk walks and doing some stretches with weights but my big change is I have downloaded some great dance music and I am dancing round the house as there is nobody there to see me! I did 30 minutes yesterday and it was great fun and totally exhausting, much better than an exercise DVD! My motto now is dance like there's no one watching - because there is no one watching. I felt 17 again.
    I think this site is excellent and it's so much better inputting my food and exercise rather than a written diary and these forums are a great motivator.