August Challenge

Options

Replies

• kizanne1
    kizanne1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

bettwalker wrote: »
    Hi. I'm a Diet Coke drinker. I had stopped for awhile, but then started again. I ran across the info below from a reliable source. I'm trying to quit again. Maybe the info will help someone else as well..........

"Twelve ounces of Coke contain the equivalent of twelve teaspoons of white granulated sugar and comes loaded with caffeine. A dash of phosphoric acid gives it fizz. Phosphoric acid, known to corrode a steel nail in short order, is the ingredient that makes Coke a good polish for the chrome on one's car. Does anybody deliberately eat twelve teaspoons of sugar at one sitting? Yet we will if we get it in a Coke because human nature convinces us it is acceptable presented this way. It tastes so good!

The so-called diet drinks sweetened by aspartame are even worse. In the body, aspartame first converts to formaldehyde then to formic acid, which in turn moves the body toward metabolic acidosis. Aspartame (sold under the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, etc.) has been found to be disorientating to nerve impulses in the brain, and it is potentially dangerous for people with blood-sugar problems, epileptics and Parkinson's disease. It causes dizziness, headaches, slurred speech, blurred vision, memory loss, depression, joint pain, muscle spasms, and feelings of aggression, cramps, and vertigo. It even mimics multiple sclerosis and lupus. "But that's okay," human nature says, "because, after all, I am getting such a tiny amount that it can't possibly hurt. Besides that, I still get the kick from the caffeine and far fewer calories, so I can stay on my diet and lose weight."

I love Coke Zero but my journey is about getting healthy which includes weight loss, but that isn't all of it. I'm dropping coke and as much processed food as possible. I still have one occasionally but very infrequently.
  • emmadelavega
    emmadelavega Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi! Here are my numbers!
    Sw: 221 lbs
    Cw: 215 lbs
    Gw: 210 lbs by the end of this challenge!
  • SaraHiryu
    SaraHiryu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Been years since I've been on this app and I need motivation to lose what I got
    CW: 200.2 lbs / 90.8 kg
    Sept GW: 195.0 lbs / 88.4 kg
    GW: 150 lbs / 68 kg
    If I can lose more than the five then that would be epic lol. I am spending the month of August focusing on portion control. Making smarter decisions of how MUCH I am consuming has a definite lead in to making smarter decisions of WHAT I am eating.
  • nicolemac2018
    nicolemac2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to join. My name is Nicole and for the past year i conveniently forgot that this community existed as well as forgetting my bathroom scales. Thus i have successfully put back on the weight that i lost over a year ago. My big downfall in life are carbs, carbs and more carbs. I would like to start with a month challenge to get back into the routine of recording what i shove in my mouth each day. And also to remember where i put my bathroom scales. Note to myself that if i don't weigh myself doesn't mean that i haven't put on any weight!!!
    Starting weight 79.2kg/174.6lbs
    Goal weight Sept. 77 kg / 169.76lbs
    GW. 68kg / 150lbs
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    This challenge is keeping me on track. Emotional day yesterday. Stayed on track. Not much of a conflict. Ate all of my planned foods. Upped my water intake. Released <.8#. I am NOT on a program. I freed myself of reporting to diet programs and companies. MFP keeps me on track - accountable. I recorded my meals for six months every day and weighed in everyday. Now I do not record my foods eaten, however I do weigh in and accept weigh fluctuations. I did attend a few sessions regarding behavioural modification. Helped a lot. Read a book: Diet Trap - Judith Beck.
  • deeR504
    deeR504 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am in, add me
  • SaraHiryu
    SaraHiryu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Stuck to my suggested caloric intake yesterday. Didn't stay on track in my eyes - ended up eating 200 cal more after I had already finished my logging for the day. But didn't go over. Today's meals are already put together and packed with a couple snacks to get me thru work. It'll be a good day!!
  • Abook76
    Abook76 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!
    I started the 10-Day Green Smoothie Challenge by JJ Smith on Monday. After that I'll be doing the 17-Day Diet by Mike Moreno. Looking forward to reaching my weight lose goal and maintaining it.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    SW: 177
    CW: 170.8
    GW: 150

Good luck, everybody. Have a great week. I'm exercising 2x a day for 30 minutes each which is really helping.
  • lindseyt71901
    lindseyt71901 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    SaraHiryu wrote: »
    Stuck to my suggested caloric intake yesterday. Didn't stay on track in my eyes - ended up eating 200 cal more after I had already finished my logging for the day. But didn't go over. Today's meals are already put together and packed with a couple snacks to get me thru work. It'll be a good day!!

This is what I do, too. I prep my meals, lunch and a couple of easy dinners, so when I lose track of myself or I'm starving from the gym or some crazy life-thing happens, I'm all set. It's a great idea and makes all of this seem so much easier.
  • meggoleggo89
    meggoleggo89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Name: Katie
    Height:5'8"

Start Weight (August 1): 179
    Goal Weight (September 1): 171

Lets get it started!!!
  • 87sid
    87sid Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late, but I'd like to join. I'd like to lose at least 8 lbs by 9/1.

SW: 176.4
    9/1 GW: 168.4

Week 1- 176.4
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been on MFP for around 4 years. I don't post, but browse the forums daily. Initially lost somewhere around 25 lbs. Stalled. Gained. Lost. Stalled again. Re-set my starting weight and goals. Back issues caused me to sideline exercise for roughly 8 months. I'm getting back on track and ready to shed some pounds. Looks like a good group to get me started again!

CW: 170
    GW: 165 (at end of challenge)
    UGW: 150
  • Joji_Bean
    Joji_Bean Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm in! WE CAN DO THIS
  • kimberlykuhn2001
    kimberlykuhn2001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
    I tend to cycle fitness. I go extreme in the fall/winter and then summer patio and vacation season rolls around and all the work I've done over the previous months is long gone by August. So, here I go again. As fun as the summer months of drinking and eating everything in sight have been, I'm ready to get back into shape. What works for me: 1200 cal goal. Approx 60% protein/20% carbs/20% fat. I get grumpy and an upset stomach when I take in a higher amount of carbs when working out heavily so I adjust my macros accordingly. I'm also following Jillian Michaels 12-week Total Body Revolution (a.m. workouts) and Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer (p.m. workouts). It's a lot to take on but it's effective and I know what results I can achieve in 3 months following these guidelines. I will have many ups and downs along the way but it will be worth it so long as I don't give up!
    Height: 5'4"

CW: 140.6
    GW 9/1: 133
    GW: 115
  • bettwalker
    bettwalker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We're winding up Day Three. I'm doing pretty good, trying to stay within my 1200 calories. Today is my husband's birthday and it's been tough. I have a roast in the oven and will have rice and green beans. He will probably have ice-cream, but I'll pass. Thank goodness it's not my favorite desert. Good luck to everyone :)
  • LittleCulturedPearl
    LittleCulturedPearl Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Checking in: I've lost 1.8 lbs since last week. On my way to losing the last stubborn 6lbs. Total weight loss goal for this month is 8lbs. Add me ! Happy to share tips and meet new people !

Liz
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Im IN

SW: 380
    CW: 295
    UGW: 180
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Seems like I have joined a very positive group. Thank you. Yesterday was my birthday,went for breakfast. Planned meals. Released <.06#. Upped the water. Protein at every meal keeps me satiated and upbeat. Plus what's not to like about feeling, looking and being well at any age? What we do today affects our many tomorrows.