August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @shanaber Yes I am. That's why I teased Stan :blush:

I think most runners are nerds. A great percentage of them seem to be, at least!

Are you a nerd too?

I am too - most definitely!
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    @lporter229

On the Adidas you'd want to go larger, so a size normal size 7 go 7 1/2. If you have a store handy I'd try some on, then order online. I like others usually rotate 2-3 pairs at a time. I also get last year's model from an adidas outlet a few hours from here. They typically are 45- 60 bucks a pair. Since I burn through 4-5 pairs a year I'll also stock up and have several pair waiting.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 
    Aug  23    5.8     10.8 

exercise.png

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    @Orphia - I'm on my 6th and 7th pair of the GT 2000 and I still love them! I was in Glycerins before that but started having horrible horrible shin pain; fortunately switching to the asics helped my poor shins!
    @Elise4270 - You are too kind! Not sure I'd quite consider myself an "A team" member (especially if that means being grouped with @kristinegift and @lporter229 ) but I appreciate the encouragement!
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom @greenolivetree @_nikkiwolf_ for the welcome back!

8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek + core
    Total: 12.1 miles

Run overview:
    8 mile fartlek run today in the hot, hot sun! I was originally planning to do 5x1 mile intervals today, but after struggling through the first one, I knew they just weren’t going to happen -_- decided to switch gears instead, while still sticking to the “speed work” theme of the day! This was my first fartlek ever so I’m not 100% sure I did it right, but I had a lot of fun along the way and ended up with ~3 miles of fast running (under 8:00 pace) so I’ll call it a success!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    8/1: 4.06 miles
    8/2: 4.53 miles - speedwork intervals with group
    8/3: 3.33 miles

Today's run was okay. I waited until evening and it felt quite a bit cooler, but was still plenty humid. I felt stiff starting out from last night's workout, but it eased up and I was feeling better at the end. I'm trying to decide if my new shoes are working out for me or not (Adidas Energy Boost). They seem to have solved the blister problem but now a few other achey areas are bugging me and I don't know if the shoes might be the cause.

exercise.png
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    8/1: 3 miles
    8/2: Rest
    8/3: 2.25

Just getting back into running and it was rough after the first day. Excited that I'm starting back up again and hopefully I don't fall off the wagon!

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom School this early?
    Houston County (middle Georgia) started classes last Friday. My wife (SWMBO) is a kindergarten teacher.
  • Twallace101
    Twallace101 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am starting back to running. My August goal is 50 miles.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, @ariceroni ! Yep, I'm thinking I'll probably get the GT 2000 again when I need some more shoes.

2 Aug – 10.1 km
    4 Aug – Body Balance then 13 km

Goal: 160 km / 100 miles
    Total: 23.1 km / 14.4 miles

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km

My run today was slow, and super-nice.

After a proper day off yesterday (no long walks like I usually do), I did Body Balance at 6:30 today, getting my strength, flexibility, balance and core exercises in.

Then I ran a leisurely 13 km on a scenic route.

Some pics:

C6276197-5008-45FA-B535-1EE3BCA54AB9_zps040xga3c.jpg

2FA1B81C-5056-4E74-BD61-945EC7E78206_zpswe4x6uwl.jpg

B12C43F3-87D9-4990-8C70-E8FB12A0A99E_zpsa76hhtuz.jpg

6D7FBD9D-E316-4BA4-8BC5-240FC61929B5_zpsy6grgogm.jpg

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @ceciliaslater You need @Stoshew71 to stop by and setup his Fence Posts and help with the Wire and Boards.
    @skippygirlsmom Skip comes back from your moms and I can hardly recognize her. Like you said She cleans up pretty good. In my Runners mind she has her running kit on under the Dress - which explains why she kept the Running Shoes on.
    @greenolivetree Snow days due to 1-3 inches. I imagine that it is very Wet and Heavy snow. As a Canadian from Northern Alberta I can tell you that 95% of our snow is the Super light and Fluffy stuff that you can blow away with a wave of your hand and so we never seem to have snow days. Even if the School Buses don't run the School Stays open in-case Dedicated parents drive there kids in and drop them off.

Went out with the local Running Club to-night for 9 km running loop up/down a very wet & muddy Pats Creek trail.
    Should of had my Trail Shoes on as it was a little nasty in quite a few spots and kept blowing out on the Toe Push.

07/01 – 0.0 km – 0.0 - 140 km – 725.2 km
    07/03 – 9.0 km – 9.0 - 131 km – 734.2 km

exercise.png
  • jlyeki
    jlyeki Posts: 7 Member
    Options

@Orphia it could be my running shoes, I know it hurts when I wear my flats to work, I think I need to find better shoes for sure. But I will take the advice from @shanaber about changing up the way I lace my shoes. Thanks so much for your help!
  • jlyeki
    jlyeki Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    jlyeki wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So I may have to start running in september because I'm having some pain. Does anyone have foot pain? Located on the top of the foot kind of right in the middle? Any ideas to help it? It's only my right foot that hurts. I've been walking though, trying to get miles in that way at least. Thanks in advance.

I've had top of foot pain but only when my foot was squeezed. It was tendon pain. Massage, and making sure your shoes are not tight. I went so far as to wear them as loose as possible. Also could be a good idea to visit a podiatrist. My doc initially though it was a Morton's neuroma, thankfully it was not.

Hope you get relief!

It usually hurts when I move to the ball of my foot while walking. I will try what the others have recommended, as well as your advice and if it doesn't help I will see a podiatrist. I'm hoping it's something minor. It recently just started, I've never had this happen before. Thanks so much.
  • MandaNar
    MandaNar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    MandaNar wrote: »
    With that I have gone 2 miles so far. (8/1)
    I had to finish up my youngest's birthday stuff last night.

Thanks for a great way to stay motivated!

8-1 *2miles
    8-3 *3.2 miles
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Went out for my triathlon team's long ride/run brick today, and after pulling semi-hard for about 5 miles on the 35 mile ride, I joined a teammate at the end of the ride for a run (noon-Florida-90 degrees) and only committed to join him at his target 8 min/mile pace for a few miles. About 2 miles in, my heart rate was all the way up to 165, so I opted to just cut back the pace, let him continue on for his full 6 miles, and just return to the start at a slightly easier pace for 4 total miles. Although I can slog along at an easy pace in mid-day Florida sun & heat on non-shaded asphalt trails for a few hours, I'm not sure I'll ever get comfortable running fast in that sort of climate/environment.

Planning a long century training ride for tomorrow so I'll be recovered in time for a long run on Sunday back up north.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)
    8/3 - 4 miles (w. 2 miles near threshold HR)

Total: 15 miles, 2 session with MP/threshold HR/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 185 miles, 7 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
    Rock 'n Roll 10K - Nov 13

@MNLittleFinn - For figuring out my race pacing, after doing a handful of 10K/5K/marathon/Halfs, I've come to a bit of a conclusion about what sort of heart rate is sustainable from each (based on my prior race data on what worked, when I fell apart, when I over-slacked, etc..). Based on that I've usually done a test run a day or two before the race at my target HR, found the pace, started with it at the race, kept my eye on where my HR settled, and adjusted (if I've been good). At this point, without knowing the weather for your next HM, where you'll be at the end if your training WRT fitness, it is hard to say if a 2 hour goal would work, or wouldn't. Still, nothing wrong with starting a few seconds/mile below what you come up with, then negative splitting if you are feeling good.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    8/3: 7.5 miles (6 mile jog, 1.5 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 23.5/100 miles
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    8/4: 0 miles rest day!!
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    100km!
    And at least a kilometer week of 1-200m sprints :smile:

3rd August - 7km
    4th August - 12km

19/100km
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Great pics! It looks like a lovely run!

@ariceroni Welcome back!! I was wondering when you'd return!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.
    8/2- REST <- Recovering from the INSANE daily double
    8/3-4.1
    8/4- 7.82

total/monthly goal: 24.99/125

Today's notes: Today was another steady state run day. Woke up to lightening ant thunder, but went out anyway. Turned out to be an OK decision. Thundering stopped withing 5-10 minutes. Run was
    15 minute warm up,
    50 minutes at steady state pace, and
    10 minute cool down.

Splits during the steady state portion were: 9:06, 9:09, 9:01, 9:00, 9:00, and 9:05 for the last 0.52 miles of the steady state. I'll admit it I was too fast. Average pace was something like 9:04. I should have kept it between 9:08 and 9:32. Something to work on for next time. I didn't even think I was going that fast until I saw the numbers when I finished. I should have been watching my Garmin more.....