August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    I am starting out the month on a rest day after my HM yesterday. This is the first time in a long time I woke up especially sore. I guess the hills were more work than I realized! Quads and glutes have been talking all day! Agility class took some work to be able to run the courses but I feel better after having done it even though we were all soaked afterwards it is so humid out!

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • shanaber
    edited August 2016
    BetterMike wrote: »
    Still in training for first 1/2 marathon. The plan calls for me to run 75 miles this month which will be more than I've ever run in a month! Smart move training like this in summer, haha.

@BetterMike - while it is tough to get out there and run when it is hot and sticky you will feel amazing when you run your HM if it is in the cooler fall weather!

@elise4270 - that sucks about the crutches but just think how strong your arms/shoulders/arm pits will be when you are finally finished with them! I am glad you are allowed to swim and like @greenolivetree said earlier, just use the crutches to beat all the old people out of your way!

Also anyone who is interested in the 100 mile Olympic challenge that @Orphia posted. You can enter and get the medal for your 100 miles even if you are in the US - it is only a little over $20 if my exchange calculation is right, with the additional shipping cost.

Finally - Welcome to all the newbies! There are too many of you for me to remember to say hello to each of you here. Just know we are a great group of crazy runners!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited August 2016
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    First!
    Haha! I'll be back the 1st to claim my goal.
    I actually beat @MNLittleFinn to the new challenge!
    Thanks again Stan the Man!

@Elise4270 If you are First doesn't that mean you also have to be The First to reach your Goal for the Month??

@Orphia 100 miles (160 km) Awesome Goal and Medal - I must investigate this.

July was a recovery month due to a calf injury, I seem to be past the recovery as I managed 3 - 20km runs without re-injury in the mountains. Definitely learned how to apply KT Physio tape for maximum benefit.
    (edited - accidentally typed KY - different sporting event additive o:) )

August Goal Stay Injury free, Volunteer at the Emperor's Challenge 20km Mountain Race.
    Monthly Distance Goal = 140km - 160km stretch to try and qualify for the medal that @Orphia mentioned.
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    juliet3455 wrote: »

@juliet3455 Yay for being over your calf injury!

Here's the medal giver's Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/awesomerunningevents/?fref=ts

It seems to be one guy in the UK who cheers everybody on and answers people's questions.

Here's his FAQs:

http://www.awesomerunningevents.com/faq-contact/4591364145
  • shanaber
    edited August 2016
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    First!
    Haha! I'll be back the 1st to claim my goal.
    I actually beat @MNLittleFinn to the new challenge!
    Thanks again Stan the Man!

@Elise4270 If you are First doesn't that mean you also have to be The First to reach your Goal for the Month??

July was a recovery month due to a calf injury, I seem to be past the recovery as I managed 3 - 20km runs without re-injury in the mountains. Definitely learned how to apply KT Physio tape for maximum benefit.
    (edited - accidentally typed KY - different sporting event additive o:) )

August Goal Stay Injury free, Volunteer at the Emperor's Challenge 20km Mountain Race.
    Monthly Distance Goal = 140km - 160km stretch to try and qualify for the medal that @Orphia mentioned.
    exercise.png
    @juliet3455 - So funny! I didn't know there was KY Tape Hahahaha
    Actually I went to the KT tape booth at the SF Marathon Expo and had them tape my knee for the race and it really helped. I wish I had bought some there but will be ordering some online. Now if I can just recall how they applied it for the knee support I will be in great shape!

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    2 Aug – 10.1 km

Goal: 160 km / 100 miles
    Total: 10.1 km / 6.3 miles

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km

karllundy wrote: »
    @Orphia - no expert, but I would do about 11 miles one week before and back off one mile for each Sunday before that as your long run. That assumes it fits into your schedule as not too high a % of your miles.
    @MNLittlefinn I was going to agree with Kristine and then I saw you next post about the full. You should volunteer at a full if you can some time. It will give you are whole new appreciation for it. I get urge from time to time to run one, of course I'm usually drunk at the time :wink: I think some day I will do one, but from talking to my friends (and the folks here) training for a full is another full time job. Time wise I can't swing the training, mostly because I don't want to take that time from Skip. You have plenty of time for a full.
    @orphia - I had day 1 rest days - happy Zen Mode. As far as your runs training for your HM. I'm not expert but a few of the kids here told me if I can run 10 miles I can run 13 miles. They were right. I ran consistent 10 mile long runs leading up to my first HM and 1 12.5 mile run on the HM course just to experience most of the course before hand.

Thanks heaps, @karllundy and @skippygirlsmom !

I reckon I can maintain a 13-17 km long run between now and early September.

Should I taper for one week or two before the HM?

Also, I'm digging the discussion about @MNLittleFinn 's first marathon. That, and assessing my upcoming goals has made me decide not to try for my first marathon until about a year from now (when it's winter again here).

Since I only started running 10 months ago, I want my muscles, tendons and bones to have a good strong base before I push them that hard.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    shanaber wrote: »
    @juliet3455 - So funny! I didn't know there was KY Tape Hahahaha
    Actually I went to the KT tape booth at the SF Marathon Expo and had them tape my knee for the race and it really helped. I wish I had bought some there but will be ordering some online. Now if I can just recall how they applied it for the knee support I will be in great shape!

@shanaber Maybe there is a Race Picture showing the taped knee/leg that you can then us to duplicate.
    It took me a while to get the right combination of tape placement to give the best support for my High Calf Injury.
    1st KT Strip starting about 3" above the back of the Knee on the Interior side( left ) and going down to cross over to the opposite edge of the calf.
    2nd KT Strip on the Exterior ( right ) edge of the right leg and going down to cross over to the opposite ( Interior ) edge of the calf - forming an X across the back of the leg with the X point at the Top of the Calf Muscle just below the knee. Then a 3rd KT strip straight across the Calf just below the X made by the first 2 strips. That is what seems to work best for the strain I suffered. One of the ladies in my Local club will place Strips down the Inside and Outside of her knee and then one wrapped around the leg above the knee and one below the knee.

The KT Tape I bought had a suggested wrapping guide inside it that was pretty good resource.
    For the Emperors challenge Time Trial run I also placed a KT trip centered on my Achilles and running up onto the top of the foot on each side. This acts like a Mole Skin on the Achilles and lite compression bandage - since there were 4 water course crossings and 200-300m of the course went straight up a water way this meant very wet feet which could lead to bad Foot/Heel blisters and the placement of the KT tape added a layer of protection to my Achilles/heel area for this. Love my Smart Wool socks for this as they would quickly wick the excessive moisture up out of the shoe onto the lower leg (calf/shin) and let the foot dry out inside the shoe :) . A dry foot is a happy foot.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    @MNLittleFinn

I got a blister a few times because of wearing cotton socks on longer runs. I switched to a super thin wool running sock by Swiftwick. I was skeptical that a thin sock would do the trick so i only bought 1 par to try, but I've been blister free for over 3000 miles. I think ive got 7-8 pair now. They are a bit pricy at $13-15 a pair but worth it in my opinion. I'm still running in the first pair I've bought so they are dursble.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Aug  2     5.0      5.0 

exercise.png

• Frmswtpot2spff
    Frmswtpot2spff Posts: 20 Member
    I decided I'm not going to let the whole miles thing stop me. If I'm in the wrong challenge let me know. In the meantime... I am going to log how many minutes I run each day.

exercise.png

Week 1= Aug 1-Aug 6 (Goal 45 min/week)
    Aug 2= 7.5 min

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    8/1: 3.6 miles w/ the Coffee Crew
    8/2: 5 miles

I haven't been beset by soul-crushing Womanly Cramps yet, so moved my Wednesday run to today. Wednesday is usually the "cramping, sweating, want to curl into a ball" day of Lady Time, so I think I'll be pretty happy to sleep in and take a rest day tomorrow.

I also start my new job today, but at 9:30 which is about 30-60 minutes later than I'd have to come into the office (hiring manager needs to get my orientation stuff together before I come in), so it seemed like a good chance to sneak in a run while I have a longer morning. I'm excited to get started working, but I can't wrap my head around going to the same place at the same time, 5 days a week, for the foreseeable future. I've been living the grad student life for too long! ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Several Towns, PA)
    (10/16: Halloween Half (Morristown, NJ) >> maybe)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philadelphia, PA)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    Just woke up.... As far as socks on last nights run. I was wearing a pair of Nike running socks I have but haven't worn Many times. They may be going away now. My Brooks, Balega, Asics and Smartwool socks haven't given me blisters before. Feeling hung over this morning...this is why I don't like running in heat/humidity. Glad I did though. The thunder and wind woke me up at the time I had planned to get up to run today.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    @karllundy: I think your plan of every other day is a good one. I've had hip issues in the past (I was out for a good five months last Spring/Summer/into Fall last year). When I got back into running late last October, I started running no more than every other day, and I've had no hip issues, since. It was actually the first time I was able to train for and complete a half marathon after two failed attempts due to my hips. I believe it's all about finding what works for you. One day, I hope to get back to running more frequently, but I'm not sure if that'll be able to happen. I'm satisfied with my one day on at least one day off routine.

@BetterMike: I'm with you. My training plan has me at 70 for the month. This is my first time training for a half in the summer, as well, and of course it's been a hot and humid one this year!

@verodzrosas: Good luck and congrats on the decision to start running. I am definitely no expert, but my biggest advice is that rest days are crucial! (Read above.) I've injured myself a couple times, then ignored the injury thinking it would go away on its own. I've found that frequent rest days are the best thing for me to stay injury free. Some others here, only need a rest day once or twice a week - I need at least three. It's all about finding what works for you, but starting out slow and building up is the best way to do it, and listen to your body!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Nice running to start the month everyone!

Nasty rain here today, so it's going to be a rest/eat day today...I was 2# down when I weighed myself this morning....Thinking that's from the hard run and big calorie deficit yesterday. Lightest I've been in over 8 years.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    I want to join the challenge but I can't track miles or distance. Can I track minutes?

@Frmswtpot2spff Yes you can. Others have done it in the past and many top running coaches track by time as opposed to distance.

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice
    8/2 - 6.0 - Easy

Total - 8.23 of 285 miles
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Nice short run today to ease me in to August after a race at the end of last month. Hope you all are having a good August so far :)

1/8: 3.7 Miles

exercise.png
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Just started c25k after a couple years of no running due to Achilles bursitis trouble and life. Going to take it slow but hope to see myself back to running steadily. Packed on the pounds so that doesn't help either.

Slow an steady will be my plan to 30 mile goal this month.

2 of 30mi completed yesterday.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    1-stung by a bee yesterday. was told i shouldn't run today :(
    2-leg was doing well but woke up in pain this morning and a little swelling, putting run off till tomorrow just in case.

:frowning:

exercise.png