Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Guess I'm going to have to sign up for one. :wink:

Love that photo!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - Ugh! Sucks to have more time on crutches! Is "elderly loitering" just a PC way of saying it is overrun with dirty, old men that stare at people?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    This is so great! Just what I need! Today I will start running and I hope it is something that I will continue to do for the rest of my life. I am very excited to get home this afternoon and use my new garmin vivosmarthr. Very pumped! And since I've runned very little in my life I will appreciate any suggestions (including about what should be my goal in miles on what yo expect to run this month).

Welcome @verodzrosas my biggest piece of advice to new runners is go to a local running store and get fitted for shoes. Then I would suggest using C25K as a running program, it's a free APP. It will slowly work you up from zero to being able to run a 5K safely. Use that a guide to your mileage for the month. Regardless of how much you are dying to run, rest days are rest days for a reason, your body needs to recover. I'm sure others will have lots of awesome advice for you as well and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you have, someone here will certainly know the answer...and if not @stoshew71 will google it :smile:

Great advice! I'll add this: Run as slow as possible. From experience, I gave up many times on running and looking back now I know that I was basically sprinting during the run segments of C25K. Your first few months, your goal will probably be more like "Run 3 days per week, work up to 30 mins consecutive running" (i.e. Complete C25K) rather than run "x" number of miles. Once you've done that, you can look at how many miles you actually ran the previous month and set a goal to increase your distance.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - Ugh! Sucks to have more time on crutches! Is "elderly loitering" just a PC way of saying it is overrun with dirty, old men that stare at people?

Yes, and 1.Grumpy old men that are territorial of a pool that doesn't belong to them.2. Chatty not swimming old women that stand around.

I need muscle a chaperone. Whose available?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 did you time travel? Tomorrows run already logged?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    karllundy wrote: »

Yes, and 1.Grumpy old men that are territorial of a pool that doesn't belong to them.2. Chatty not swimming old women that stand around.

I need muscle a chaperone. Whose available?

Oh my goodness - yuck! That is a long time to be on crutches.

Welcome to all the new people! Don't worry about the high mileage you see here (not me but the rock stars in here). Everyone started somewhere!

I love it when the first happens to fall on one of my days to run! Not too awful this morning as far as heat goes, which is pretty shocking.

8/1 - 5.1 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • Stoshew71
    Options

Opps. Thanks for catching that. That is what I get for trying to post a run and talk on the phone at the same time.
    I fixed it. :lol:

• MNLittleFinn
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Opps. Thanks for catching that. That is what I get for trying to post a run and talk on the phone at the same time.

I just thought you were fast enough that you reached relativistic speed, came back to today and posted, just to prove to us mere mortals how awesome you are. :lol:B)
  • Stoshew71
    edited August 2016
    Options

I just thought you were fast enough that you reached relativistic speed, came back to today and posted, just to prove to us mere mortals how awesome you are. :lol:B)

OK! I deserved that one!!! :lol: *hangs head in shame*

\/ \/ \/ GREAT SCOTT! \/ \/ \/
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    OK! I deserved that one!!! :lol: *hangs head in shame*

There are so many jokes about flux capacitors in your shoes going through my brain right now.....

Wife gave the OK...Today is going to be a DD....hard part will be not running tomorrow, since tomorrow's run will be tonight....
  • vs_shine
    vs_shine Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    my goal will be 50 miles!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @dowelahmed you're off to a good start on it!
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this challenge and ready to give it a try! I've completed a few 5ks and one half marathon. I've been wanting to get back into running. My goal is 30 miles this months, thinking I'll aim for 3 mile run, twice a week.
  • ciaramurphy34
    ciaramurphy34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's August already. Time for another edition of the running challenge. You set your own pace and distance for the month. We will all be doing it together. This is your virtual running group to keep you accountable and enjoy a virtual coffee with your fellow runners after you run. Make new friends and learn a few things.

Hi everyone. This is a continuation from the July 2016 Running Challenge which can be found at:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10417366/july-2016-running-challenge/

Anyone can join in. New & Old. And if you found this thread late, you can join in at any time.
    We have members that are total beginners all the way to marathon maniacs and beyond. We are a friendly and encouraging bunch.

Here the details from last month that applies here again.

Anybody want to join me for a running challenge? Set a goal here and mark it every day here. OPTIONAL: You can post your progress by creating a ticker at http://www.tickerfactory.com (If creating ones seems difficult, then don't let that stop you. Just type in your daily miles here.)

You can run, walk, or do treadmill. Just be consistent. I am setting a goal for 250 miles. Don't let my high (or low) goal intimidate you. Some can do 25, 50; whatever you like. We can help motivate each other. What do you say? If you are new to running, set a low goal. (You can also log your miles in km's if you choose.)

You can set your goal now but wait until Monday July to start logging your runs.

Also, don't forget to join our group which can be found at:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21182-monthly-running-challange

There you will find lots of good info, and it's a place where everyone can talk to each other for further motivation. It's also a place to find help when there is a problem with this thread.

After you run, come into this thread and post what you did. (don't forget to hit the star in the upper right corner to bookmark this thread) Keep a running tally of what you did this month, and interact with the others. Many folks come in here and chat it up even on their rest days or while recouping from injury. This is a very social group and we talk about many things to include running. Very friendly bunch here so don't be afraid to say hi (even if this is your first time). Talk about a recent race or one coming up. Ask questions, provide answers, or just learn. Participation is what makes this group successful.

Not quite sure how to log your runs, follow what many other people are doing. Even look at last month's thread that I posted above.

*******OPTIONAL TICKER*************
    Info on tickers since I know there will be questions. Sign up for an account http://www.tickerfactory.com and create your ticker.
    Then you need to update it after you do a run and post it here. Here is what you will need to do.

After setting up your ticker, you will need to make note of the weblink they give you so you can return. An example would be:

http://www.tickerfactory.com/exercise/w6K1EiX/ <<<< the last part will be a part of the image link (explained below) that will be supplied to you after you initially create your link.

When you return to TickerFactory with the weblink, go to your settings page. Make sure you type your pin in that you set when you created your ticker account.
    Then where it says "Your current cumlative value, there is an add button. Just add what you just did and the cumlative value automatically changes. Then hit next.

Now after you added your new miles (or km's) to your ticker you need to post it here.

After you hit next, it will give you a bunch of codes suggesting on how to display your ticker.
    Use the one at the bottom where it says Direct Image URL:

It will look something like:
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png

To display that correctly in your post, make sure you place the img tags around that link. So it will look, (removing the spaces in the img tags):

[ img ] http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/w6K1EiX/exercise.png [ /img ]

^^^^^^^ Don't forget to remove the spaces between the brackets. ^^^^^^^^^^

Some key things to pay attention to when posting your ticker.

1: Use the link that ends in .png
    2. Remember the [ img] and [ /img] tags go in between the link
    3. remove the spaces in the img tags before posting
    4. YES, there is a / in the second /img tag

Good luck! And happy running (or walking or treadmilling, ect). If you have any trouble or have questions, please feel free to PM me.

Stan

I'm new to this, ill say 50 miles.
  • ciaramurphy34
    ciaramurphy34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this, ill try do 50 miles this month.