August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• sunkisd1105
    sunkisd1105 Posts: 11 Member
    Ok! I am determined to become a runner and am hoping this will get me started. I have set a goal of 40 miles this month. I hope walking can be included because I know I can't run all of that yet.

[img][/img] s-exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    8/1 - Intended to run 4, but oversleeping and a thunderstorm kept it from happening :-(
    8/2 - Bodypump class, followed by Abs/Core class. I may be too uncoordinated for this ab stuff...I feel like a bull in a china shop for sure.

@sunkisd1105 - Walk/run is a great way to get started! You'll find that there aren't rules here...do what works for you. If you run, you are a runner!
    @kristinegift - Good luck with the new gig! Make us proud :smiley:
    @5512bf - Hahaha! I think that is a universal HS cross country story!
    @ereck44 - Blisters UNDER your toenails?!? Ouch!
    @Orphia - FWIW I don't usually taper before a HM, just go easier on pace / hills / intervals the final week.
    @instantmartian - Thanks for the validation. This is my first "injury" and it has been frustrating...plus I am whiny.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @ereck44 - No, sweating should not make poison ivy spread. As long as you have washed your skin since coming into contact with it, it should not spread further (it's the oils from the plant that cause the irritation). However, sweating will likely make your existing rash itch worse. I'd suggest using rubbing alcohol on it after your post-run shower to help dry it out and calm the itch.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    8/1 - 6 miles
    8/2 - 6 miles

12 out of 110 miles

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    ereck44 wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    So my plan is to increase by 10 miles each month...so for this month my goal will be 70 miles...I was only 0.06 from reaching it last month..so pretty achievable if stay focused and don't injure myself.

So I honestly didn't know that I ran 81+ miles in the July challenge...so 70 miles seems too low. I am going to change my goal to 85 miles. 90 seems too ambitious for me right now. Running really helps with relieving me from the stress of my job but I didn't know that I was running that much.
    I have a bout of poison ivy that I got when I helped my husband try to cut up a tree that fell in the neighbor's yard. It is covering half of my face, neck and forearms. Will sweating make it spread? I am a little afraid to exercise now.

Oh awful on the poison ivy! @ceciliaslater is spot on, sweating won't make it spread. It crops up over days and gives the illusion that it's spreading. That's why so many people are adamant that it spreads.

If you have it on your face, I consider getting a shot and a medrol pack, ( see you're doc), so it doesn't affect your eyes and it should knock it out quick. I think I'd rather be on crutches than have a good bout with poison ivy!

81+ miles last month! Wow! You'll be hunting triple digits about the time the weather cools!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    After 4 days of consuming less than healthy stuff, I found that my performance in my runs were less than stellar. I always knew intellectually that poor fuel choices would equal crappy performance but it's a completely different scenario when you actually do it IRL. lol

Let's just say I'm super happy to be back to my regular routine which includes my meal plan. This morning's run was brutal. :tongue: I hope that my runs for the rest of the week will be much better. :wink:

Also, since I ran 126.87 kms in July, I'm upping my goal this month to 150 kms. :smiley:

Happy Tuesday everyone!

exercise.png

1/8: REST
    2/8: 5.30 km + 20 mins yoga

Current PR : 5K in 35:06 / 10K in 1:17:??

Races:

6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • skippygirlsmom
    @Ereck44 though the poison ivy won't spread it will itch more if you sweat (or at least that is what I noticed). Skip just had some on her arm and leg, she was too far from a bathroom and had to go 10 feet off the trail while running so she's lucky that is the only place she got it. She used TECNU to wash it and they have a spray for after you wash it and it literally was dried up in days. I had it about 5 years ago from head to toe and I had never had it before in my life and I was a landscaper. I just assumed I wasn't allergic to it. I had antibiotics and steroid shots (3) trying to get rid of it it was horrible. So I agree with @elise4270 if you see it coming up in more places, especially the face go to the doctor.
    @juliet3455 still laughing at the KY tape!
    @kristinegift have a great day. Don't worry you get used to the daily grind.
    @sunkisd1105 you can definitely track you miles walking
    @9voice9 OMG you got fish heads stuck in my head! I'm dying here!
    @shanaber thanks and someone else (ugh forgot who) thanks for the info on the Olympic medal.
    @5512bf Skip wears Swiftwick and like you she swears by them.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @5512bf yup. Been drinking water and water with NUUN a lot this morning. I was pretty much expecting it to happen.....just glad I did the run last night...Dehydrated is better than struck by lightning!...LOL.....The pizza last night helped with the carbs and protein, but I'm going to be eating a bunch today.....Down a bunch of calories yesterday, and going to be making those up today.

On the weight thing, I was expecting the drop. I weigh myself daily, and use my weekly average as my "actual" weight.
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited August 2016
    2/8/16 run 7.1 km

1/8/16 run 6.6 km
    Target:13.7/70 km

@skippygirlsmom True. Just didn't want to keep my lifting session and long run on the same day. Getting a rest day tomorrow as I already ran tomorrow's goal today.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    KY Tape ... still laughing over that one.

@Elise4270 - Sounds brutal! You poor thing. Hang in there. That's so great about your son running so much!
    @kristinegift - Welcome to the real world! Awesome you got a job though!

SO humid this morning. UGH - but did it.

8/1 - 5.1 miles
    8/2 - 4.6 miles with intervals

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    So, I'm finally back into the real world for just a day or two, and then back off for a little more travel. I've set my goal at 90 miles, but that may be over-reaching considering my schedule and the fact that I wound up not running at all yesterday, which wasn't a planned rest day.

I've been wiped out, though. Traveling seems to suck the life out of me. Also, last week I took a pretty bad tumble running my lake trail long run. I tripped on a tree root and flew several feet before belly-flopping onto the ground. I still have some residual soreness and bruising (and lots of road rash) from it. Then, while I was on my girl's weekend I took a (wait for it)...pole dancing class. Which is way less sexy and way more difficult than I imagined. I have bruises and sore arms from that, too! I've also crossed stripper off my list of part-time jobs to try while the kids are in school. ;)

It's nice to see so many newbies--welcome! I hope you find this group as encouraging and insightful as I have. I'm sorry I haven't had time to post as much, but I'm reading and thinking of each one of you as you work your way through races and recoveries!

exercise.png

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    @ddmom0811- I hear ya on the humidity. I hate those days when I can feel it pooling in my lungs. Another one here this morning too! Ok Mother Nature...Enough already!
    @kristinegift _ Congrats on the new job! I hope you don't have to do too much re-configuring of the running schedule. Real world jobs are certainly over rated!

So, I have a shoe question for those of you that like a cushioned, neutral shoe. What are your faves? I have been wearing Asics Kayanos forever. I mean FOREVER. I love the cushioning and the wide, roomy toe box. The thing is, I am a neutral runner and I can't help but think that there is a lighter shoe out there with less support that I could be wearing instead. I have tried so many different pairs of shoes in the past (Asics GT-2000, Saucony Grid Triumph, Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Wave Rider, etc.) and I can't find anything that works for me the way this shoe does. On one hand, I feel like " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I am tired of spending good money on shoes I don't like. On the other hand, sometimes this shoe feels a bit clunky and based on my stature and running style, all signs indicate that it is a bit more shoe than I need. Any thoughts?
  • dowelahmed
    dowelahmed Posts: 26 Member
    It was supposed to be a "rest day" but ended up taking part in a company basketball event, I think I spent more time rebounding than scoring!

exercise.png
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @mbaker566 - Sorry to hear about getting stung! That's the worst. Hopefully your leg feels better soon!
    @Elise4270 - Hang in there! I so admire your attitude while being sidelined - here's to the next few weeks of recovery flying by!
    @greenolivetree - Ha, I've done that same thing before! Damn morning brain.
    @5BeautifulDays - I took a pole dancing class for a friend's bachelorette party a few years ago. I was surprised at how hard it was!
    @lporter229 - I'm interested to see the responses to this, too. I've gone between the Brooks Ghost, Asics Nimbus, Saucony Guide, and now in Asics GT-2000. Although, I think I keep switching shoes hoping my knee problems will magically disappear... realizing now that it's my lack of strength causing the problem, and not my shoes.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016

So I took a shower for work, was all dressed and make up on and last minute started to blowdry my hair......and that's when I realized....I apparently spaced out in the shower and didn't wash my hair! I had just wet it, and then when I got out I sprayed leave-in conditioner. So my hair was all gross! I had to lean over the bathtub and wash my hair real fast and then leave for work with wet hair :-D

@Elise4270 Well, since running is out, I vote you go to Walmart, and take a joy ride in one of those electric scooters!

RAMPAGE! :naughty:

Too funny about the hair. I've missed rinsing soap or conditioner out.

Thanks to everyone putting up with me!
  • skippygirlsmom
    @lporter229 I wear the Brooks Launch and love them. Skip just went from Asics Gel Noosa Tri to the Launch 3 and now picked up a pair of Brooks Hyperion. She ran with them this morning and LOVES them. She usually wears an insole but with these they pushed her foot too high to the top and she was afraid without it they wouldn't be cushioned enough or stable enough, but she said they were awesome. Plus they are pretty LOL

@5beautifuldays OMG you have had a rough time of it. Heal soon! Hey the pole dancing didn't happen if there are no pictures! just sayin' LOL