August (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    5512bf wrote: »
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice

Total - 2.23 of 285 miles

Today should have been a cross/training or rest day, but it's the official start of fall Cross Country practice. I help out with my daughters school, generally helping the junior high and JV squads. The varsity boys just run too fast for me and the head coach to really run with. My daughter hasn't run for several years now but the coach is a good guy and I like to help out so I typically do the first month while it's morning running, then help out with the meets and occasional afternoon practice after that. We started with a 1.75 mile warmup, which is always fun to watch. The excitement of the first day and the eagerness of everyone to try and keep up with the faster boys generally makes this a gong show for half of them, today was no different. They all shot out at about a 6:30 pace, even after coach and I telling them it's a warmup, not a wear out just 30 seconds earlier. By about 1/2 mile in I had reeled in a couple of the junior high kids who were about to puke, then at about a mile I reeled in a chunk of the JV kids who always hate to get passed by coach so they fell in behind me and sucked it up, i heard alot of huffing and puffing. The 1 HS girl we had I caught up to about 1.25 miles in and told her she was doing about a 8:40 pace according to my watch. She is new this year so I wasn't sure her ability and talked with her for a bit and she told me that pace was good so I paced her in the remaining half mile or so. I typically don't do too much sprinting or interval with them since I'm always on tired legs, but if I feel some of the faster boys are lollygagging I'll jump in and surprise them once or twice, which is about all I can handle. After intervals we did another half mile cool down and some core work and stretching and sent them home. We typically only do formal practice on M-W-F and assign them some runs to do by themselves on T-Th-Sa. It'll be interesting to see how many of them complain on Wednesday about how sore they are. It's a ton of fun to watch these kids get better over the course of the fall. We are a really small school so we'll never win a meet but we'll have a few kids place top ten in some of the meets. Watching a kid break 20 minutes for the first time at the end of the season after showing up out of shape and barely making it through the first practice is an experience.

That's a lot of explanation for a 2.23 mile run. Tomorrow is my scheduled recovery day with a 6 mile am/4 mile pm double.

@5512bf we always laugh at Skip's first official practice of the year, 3/4 of the kids can't run a mile but all swear "I ran all summer Coach". I love that you help the team even though your have no dog in the fight, that is really great of you. Our first official practice is Monday and I know Coach he'll send them out into the hills for a "quick" 5 miles to see how many actually make it back. Sometimes he will run some with them, but usually he drives his truck so he can throw them in the back if needed. :wink:
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    @Elise4270 Just go to the pool and if necessary use your crutches as weapons on the old guys. LOL

@Somebody_Loved Good luck this on the run! My last real run was Wednesday with only half mile on Saturday and it's already starting to feel like forever. Mainly because I don't have a set number of days I'm taking off. I'll probably try to run Fri or Sat but I don't know....
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    @Elise4270 - Good luck at the smaller pool. ;) I've only taken a week off so far and am already worried about my races in September. I love your attitude about it all - enjoy the swimming!

@greenolivetree - I know what you mean. I'm going rogue - no set plan, just going by feel. Hopefully you're able to get back to it soon... taking time off is the necessary evil!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Looks like another goal of 0 miles. Three more weeks on the crutches. I do get to swim, but the Y pool is closed for remodeling. There is one other pool in town. It's small, shallow and seems to attract elderly loitering. But I'm getting fat and have races planned so I'll get fishy with it.

Have fun running everyone!

@elise4270 I'm sorry to hear about the more time on crutches. But you know you'll come back stronger and better because of having the hip fixed. {hugs}
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    I saw some people talking and asking about hydration packs in the July thread. Thought I'd throw this out there--woot.com has a 2L High Sierra hydration pack for $19.99 today. I'm not familiar with this brand (I use a camelbak), but it's a darn good price if anyone is interested in giving a pack a try but doesn't want to break the bank.

High Sierra Wave 70 Hydration Pack
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    @Elise4270 - Boo on the extra crutch time! I hope you're able to get in some good workouts at the pool!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited August 2016
    The weather man is trying to drive me crazy. Weather forecast earlier today was for nice weather. Now, they are saying THUNDERSTORMS possible tomorrow morning. So, now my options are: do my run 10 hours early (run tonight with my headlamp) when the temp will be in the mid 70s, or wake up tomorrow at 0500 and hope the forecast is wrong. Forcasted temp for tomorrow morning is 66. I don't really want to wait until tomorrow evening, but that could be a pissibility also, but then I'll have less than 12 hours between my run then, and my Wednesday morning run.

The little devil on my shoulder is telling me to run tonight, then wake up tomorrow, and if the weather is ok, to sneak in a couple miles...I hate that little Devil

Do I go early and brave the hotter weather (but no sun beating down on me), or gamble on the weatherman being wrong or go late and have another run less than 12 hours later?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    The weather man is trying to drive me crazy. Weather forecast earlier today was for nice weather. Now, they are saying THUNDERSTORMS possible tomorrow morning. So, now my options are: do my run 10 hours early (run tonight with my headlamp) when the temp will be in the mid 70s, or wake up tomorrow at 0500 and hope the forecast is wrong. Forcasted temp for tomorrow morning is 66. I don't really want to wait until tomorrow evening, but that could be a pissibility also, but then I'll have less than 12 hours between my run then, and my Wednesday morning run.

The little devil on my shoulder is telling me to run tonight, then wake up tomorrow, and if the weather is ok, to sneak in a couple miles...I hate that little Devil

Do I go early and brave the hotter weather (but no sun beating down on me), or gamble on the weatherman being wrong or go late and have another run less than 12 hours later?

I'd go early and get it done with if you can.

Sorry @Elise4270 about more weeks on the crutches.
    Get phishy wit it, na na na
  • verodzrosas
    verodzrosas Posts: 84 Member
    This is so great! Just what I need! Today I will start running and I hope it is something that I will continue to do for the rest of my life. I am very excited to get home this afternoon and use my new garmin vivosmarthr. Very pumped! And since I've runned very little in my life I will appreciate any suggestions (including about what should be my goal in miles on what yo expect to run this month).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

:smiley: yup yup!

https://youtu.be/3JcmQONgXJM
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    I'd go early and get it done with if you can.

Good enough. I'll just bring some extra water and go a little slower. It's a newish route, basically scoping out the elevation when I combine parts of 2 known routes anyway, so it's not like I'll be running hard, just running to get the hills in and see how I like it....hhhmmm....that does mean I could rest tomorrow and still have the mileage I want for the week......that sounds good
  • Stoshew71

I was thinking more like this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx-5-KU3bpc

• Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member

This is going to be stuck in my head the rest of day. I'm okay with it.
  • Elise4270
    edited August 2016

I want a Viking helmet and a robe! I could rule these crutches named Helga! Na na nah na na!
  • Elise4270

This is going to be stuck in my head the rest of day. I'm okay with it.

I always wanna shake my booty when hip hop/ dance music gets stuck in my head.
  • Stoshew71

I want a Viking helmet and a robe! I could rule these crutches named Helga! Na na nah na na!

I already have the viking helmet...

10357810_935595566455001_6488453614758129456_n.jpg?oh=1aee0a8fb80ea8b57288aa36f2900d2d&oe=5818A82D