August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Guesstimating how much I could run after the HM on 8/21, I will put my goal as 100 miles this month.

exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Whew, 5 pages before I started reading (um, skimming) the thread! I predicted somewhere between 150 and 200 miles for July, and came in at 192.69. Unlike the beginning of July, I'm feeling pretty healthy at the beginning of August. My biggest issue is I'm not caught up to where I ought to be in marathon training.

So I'll throw out a nominal goal of 200 miles for August. Reality will be that I'll be watching weekly mileages ad hoc to try to balance getting enough miles to kinda sorta train for the Rochester Marathon against ramping up too fast and putting myself back on the couch. All this to a backdrop of work that I expect to be frustrating; but only for one more month.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 5.90 easy plus 4 strides

August total to date – 5.90

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Survive last month before retirement. Train as well as possible toward Rochester Marathon. Avoid putting myself back on the couch.

Today's notes – Today could have been a rest day in the balance between following the marathon training plan and avoiding adding too many miles too fast. But there was some *kitten* rolling downhill at work, to the point where I was regretting that I didn't make July 31 my last day instead of August 31. I reacted the way a lot of runners react to any form of stress: "*kitten* it, go for a run!"

The marathon training plan called for Easy plus 4 strides today. I figured I could afford 5 miles. Ran a route that was pleasant, but not so familiar that I knew the distances closely. Ended up being a shade longer than I intended, so instead of tacking the strides on after the end I started them just past the last turn to my street, where I started having a line of fire hydrants to use as distance markers. The aren't totally even, but by the results it appears they average somewhere between 150 and 200 meters apart. Good enough to mark strides.

81º F (27º C), limited wind, and typical summer humidity left me with a soaked shirt, but I felt much better after running. Bad day at work? *kitten* it, go for a run!

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• bigrevkev55
    bigrevkev55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First time doing this. I ran my first marathon last November and fizzled out of running after that. Just getting back into a C25K trainer this month. So my goal is going to be low. I'm thinking 30 miles. Thanks for this group! Look forward to any tips you can give about getting back into running after a long layoff.
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the inspirational quotes!

8/1 - 3.0 miles
    Goal: 45
    42 to go.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    dkabambe wrote: »
    ...able to set better sounding targets in future months!
    You will definitely set higher goals for yourself, but don't poop on your target for this month - it's better than sitting on your butt, right? so a GREAT goal!
  • 9voice9
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    I was thinking more like this....
    And see, my brain went here:
    https://youtu.be/cn73Wtem0No?t=16
  • kellyiris6
    kellyiris6 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    First run of the month!
    3 miles
    Goal: 30 miles this month

I think I did the ticker right....possibly... Ok, I'll find out when I post....

exercise.png
  • 9voice9
    Options
    Today was supposed to be a long-ish run, since it's my bi-weekly off-Monday. But I didn't follow The Discipline and get my butt in bed on time Sunday, and thought, "I can take advantage of having an off-day and do the run a wee tad later. After all, I have been running in the dark since the Peachtree, and really need to log some day hours, right?"

So it was nearly 11 when I headed out. I promise - I was gonna do a LT run, and do a 8-ish mile run (yeah, I knew I wouldn't be able to hack LT AND 8-ish miles both!). I managed 2 miles at around LT, but pooped out (prob mostly the humidi-muck of mid-day mid-Georgia) and only got 5.11 miles. But it's only 01-Aug, so I can make up my slack-itude in the days to come!
  • mellymel09182014
    mellymel09182014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Four down....81 more to go.

exercise.png
  • Frmswtpot2spff
    Frmswtpot2spff Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I want to join the challenge but I can't track miles or distance. Can I track minutes?
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.

total/monthly goal: 13.03/125

Notes on my second run. Ran a hill run this evening because tomorrow's forecast calls for thunderstorms in the morning. It was a long, hot 9 miles with the rolling hills. Ended up averaging 9:40 pace because my mom texted...worried because my phone showed me in the middle of nowhere after dark, and I had to slow down/stop to call her....That was mile 8. I had a ginormous blister form and EXPLODE between my big toe and the one next to it on my left foot, so all thinking of sneaking in miles tomorrow are totally gone. Glad I got the run in, but now I'm tired and have almost 1k calories left to eat...even after the pizza I'm about to pull from the oven.
  • Frmswtpot2spff
    Frmswtpot2spff Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I decided I'm not going to let the whole miles thing stop me. If I'm in the wrong challenge let me know. In the meantime... I am going to log how many minutes I run each day.

exercise.png

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Yay August! Celebrated a new challenge month with a soul cleansing twilight run at the lake by my inlaws' house. Hoping to be more ambitious in my goal setting this month since my first organized 10K (EEEEEEK!) is fast approaching in September.

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    So my plan is to increase by 10 miles each month...so for this month my goal will be 70 miles...I was only 0.06 from reaching it last month..so pretty achievable if stay focused and don't injure myself.

So I honestly didn't know that I ran 81+ miles in the July challenge...so 70 miles seems too low. I am going to change my goal to 85 miles. 90 seems too ambitious for me right now. Running really helps with relieving me from the stress of my job but I didn't know that I was running that much.
    I have a bout of poison ivy that I got when I helped my husband try to cut up a tree that fell in the neighbor's yard. It is covering half of my face, neck and forearms. Will sweating make it spread? I am a little afraid to exercise now.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    8/1- 4.01
    8/1- 9.02<---Daily Double. If it isn't thunderstorming in the morning, I will not be happy.

total/monthly goal: 13.03/125

Notes on my second run. Ran a hill run this evening because tomorrow's forecast calls for thunderstorms in the morning. It was a long, hot 9 miles with the rolling hills. Ended up averaging 9:40 pace because my mom texted...worried because my phone showed me in the middle of nowhere after dark, and I had to slow down/stop to call her....That was mile 8. I had a ginormous blister form and EXPLODE between my big toe and the one next to it on my left foot, so all thinking of sneaking in miles tomorrow are totally gone. Glad I got the run in, but now I'm tired and have almost 1k calories left to eat...even after the pizza I'm about to pull from the oven.

Two runs in one day.....whew! Regarding the blisters....are you wearing runner's socks? I started wearing 2 pairs of socks. When I ran my 2nd half marathon, I developed blisters under my toenails, and hobbled home after mile 9. I still finished, but it was painful. I was only wearing cotton socks for that event. Now I wear 2 pair of socks, 1 set runner's and 1 cotton.....no more blisters.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    7/1: 7.5 miles (6 mile jog, 1.5 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 7.5 miles/100

Setting a lower goal this month due to me cycling off the treadmill plus i am moving
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    August goal.....run

8/1 3.12....and I struggled through that!

@Frmswtpot2spff log minutes, miles, kilometers....it's all good: you are competing against no one but yourself: we are here to encourage you to meet whatever goal you set!

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual 5k runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo 7/21
    ......Lead Singer in August or September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png