August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I know many of you have a running gear habit so I have a question about shoes. I currently run in Nike dual fusion and know that it is neutral/cushioned shoes that I need. I have been told by lots of people now that Nike are not really the best for running. I have broad feet and tried new balance and they were too narrow. I will go to a running store but just for fun, what brand do you recommend and why?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @amandajs232 - I love Altra and Skora shoes because I also have wide feet and they have a nice wide toe box but the heel is narrow enough to not slide around. Skoras are not sold in any stores - only online. Both are neutral and zero drop but the Altra's have more styles and many with good cushioning where Skoras are more minimal.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I know many of you have a running gear habit so I have a question about shoes. I currently run in Nike dual fusion and know that it is neutral/cushioned shoes that I need. I have been told by lots of people now that Nike are not really the best for running. I have broad feet and tried new balance and they were too narrow. I will go to a running store but just for fun, what brand do you recommend and why?

The best brand is the brand you like, and keeps you running injury free. I don't think nike are a bad choice. Some of my best running shoes have been nike. I know @7lenny7 marathon shoe choice are Nike's. He's a beast. :wink:

I like the innov8 f215 currently.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I got to run in the rain today and it was amazing up until the point I remembered that I did not bring a change of socks with me to work (I remembered this shortly after I stepped in a huge puddle).

@Amandajs232 I also wear Altras, Lone Peak 3, and have really enjoyed them so far. I just switched out of Brooks Ghosts after tearing the last pair apart on the trails out here, they just aren't build to handle the rougher rocks. Enjoy the zero drop aspect of the Altras as well although I have a very narrow foot, I can get the shoe to fit everywhere except the toe box where I'm pretty sure I could grow another toe and still have room.

@5BeautifulDays I might have to try my hand at pole dancing now, I need to step up my workouts
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1--- travel doc appointment
    2---30 minutes pool swimming/walking/running!
    (Okay'd by doc)

Upcoming races:

11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    12/11/16 BMW Dallas Marathon, Half
    Run the year 2016  898.42/ 2016

Hopeful races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Fitness_WonderWoman Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am going for a goal of 25 miles, I have been slacking on my cardio since joining crossfit and doing more strength training, so hopefully this will motivate me enough to start on my cardio again! Thanks for the challenge. :)

If I hit my goal of 25 miles, then I will increase it by 10 miles, until the month is finished. Good luck everyone!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Took a much needed rest day yesterday (as I ended up doing a short time trial on the bike to test my threshold power), and ended up just doing a long treadmill session today, broken up in the middle by a few minutes of lifting.

Yesterday's threshold bike power test got me curious about my threshold pace, and I ended up doing 2 miles at my target threshold heart rate which put me at a 6:22 pace (about 20 sec/mile faster than Feb). I suspect it won't translate cleanly to that outside, but it seems to indicate I'm on track to break 3 hours at Chicago if all goes well... regardless, I'll get a better sense for pacing in the next month and a half.

8/2 - 11 miles (w. 2 at MP)

Total: 11 miles, 1 session with MP/threshold/speedwork running
    Goal: 200 miles, 8 faster sessions
    Remaining; 189 miles, 7 faster sessions

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Resting until the poison Ivy is better. I have a doctor's appointment in the a.m. with Dr. John. His last name is unpronounceable.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 Hope you feel better soon!
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 3.0 miles
    8/2 - 3.0 miles
    Goal: 45
    39 to go.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim sounds like you're well on your way to breaking 3 hours at your marathon!

I'm debating going for 2 in my HM in September because they have a pacer for t and the next slowest pacer is 2:30 and I don't want to go that pace
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - Like @Stoshew71 I am cheap; but it manifests differently for me. After being put in a Brooks Adrenaline as a new runner, I got the idea to try a light weight running shoe. That idea was prompted by my nephew's experience. He had bought minimalist running shoes for weight and space when he was deployed to Iraq, and reported that they improved his running form. His explanation was, with the minimalist shoe it hurts if you run with poor form, so you unconsciously clean up your form quickly.

First the running store put me into Saucony Mirages, which have a light support for over-pronation. Mirages were between models when that pair wore out, but by then it looked more like I needed a neutral shoe. The running store put me into Saucony Kinvara 4's, and they worked well for me.

Now, here's the cheap part: I wear a size 14. The running store rarely has my size in stock. I reasoned that if I have to wait to order shoes anyway, I may as well order them online and get them cheap. Then I got some advice from an more experienced distance runner who wore Kinvaras: Buy multiple pairs and rotate them, and buy last year's model. I found that I do well rotating through 3 pair of Kinvaras. Among other things, if I get twinges in my ankle after running in the green pair that I don't get after running in the white pair or the blue pair, that's an indication that it's probably time to retire the green pair.

So now I buy Kinvaras online, 3 pair at a time, old models, for $49 to $74 a pair instead of the $110 the newest model sells for. I've liked the 5's better than the 4's, and the other day I took my first pair of Kinvara 6's out of the box because I retired the green Kinvara 5's at a bit over 500 miles. I've done a demo in Kinvara 7's, and found that I have no fear of ordering 7's when the time comes; but I still have 3 pair of 6's in unopened boxes, so it's not yet time to order more.

And yeah, there's a substantial helping of "don't fix what ain't broke" to go with my being cheap. If Kinvaras don't work for you, find something else that does. In my case there are two things: I have become very used to my 4 mm foot drop. Running in shoes with an 8 mm drop (on the rare occasion when a vendor has a demo in size 14) feels like I'm running with wedges under my heels. I'm using a 4 mm drop Asics 33-M for walking, because it has a lot more cushion than the Kinvaras (it shows some Hoka influence) and that cushion helps with the heel-strike nature of walking. I don't need it so much running because I'm a ball-heel strike runner.

And while I paid up for my first pair of 33-Ms as a new model, I got the next pair reasonable, and the most recent pair cheap . . . becuase the M-2's were out and the Ms were an old model. The old model worked, and I was happy to get one more pair of walking shoes cheap. When they wear out, I probably won't be able to get M's any more; but M-2's may be cheap because the next model has come out.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    August Running Totals (miles)
    8/1 – 5.90 easy plus 4 strides
    8/2 – 6.24 hill run

August total to date – 12.14

Nominal Challenge Goal – 200 miles
    Real Goals: Survive last month before retirement. Train as well as possible toward Rochester Marathon. Avoid putting myself back on the couch.

Today's notes – The assignment for today was 8 x Yasso 800's. But I got a bad jump out of work and couldn't make it to the running club meeting on time. I was able to get to Fleet Feet for the Tuesday evening Cobb's Hill run. Thought about doing the Yasso 800's on the loop at the top of the hill, but I met my friend Jim at the store. He wanted to something easy as he transitioned from recovery (Iron Man Tri 9 days ago) to training for the next tri (I think a sprint distance, with focus on serious uphill, next Sunday). He was thinking about 3 Y's on Cobb's Hill, which is a familiar route for me. So we ran the 3 Y's together. He pushed me on the uphill segments, I pushed him on the downhill segments, and we averaged 8:06 per mile for 6.24 miles that felt like a hill workout. And we had a nice chat while we were running. All in all, it was a pleasant evening.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY)
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    08/01- 7.2
    08/02- 3.9

exercise.png

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 2.23 - HS XC Practice
    8/2 - 6.0 - Easy
    8/2 - 4.15 - Easy

Total - 12.38 of 285 miles

I wish I would have just ran a 10 miler this morning over the 6/4 double. It was 90 degrees tonight, so you can imagine the suckfest this one was. Fortunately if was just 4 miles. I'll probably combine the doubles from here on out unless the temperatures get much coller.
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Nice treadmill run...
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

@5BeautifulDays I might have to try my hand at pole dancing now, I need to step up my workouts

Just be prepared that you'll spend all your hard-earned singles on icy hot for your shoulders and cover up for the bruises on your calves from spinning around the pole!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I tripped on a tree root and flew several feet before belly-flopping onto the ground.

@5BeautifulDays :open_mouth: That made me laugh and recoil at the same time!

Then you go and try pole dancing?!

You're so awesome. :love:

karllundy wrote: »
    @Orphia - FWIW I don't usually taper before a HM, just go easier on pace / hills / intervals the final week.

@karllundy Thanks, I like the sound of that!