If calories is a calorie-what's the issue with Sugar then? how to reduce intake? HELP!

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. The body breaks it down to simplest form and absorbs it. Good carbs get broken down to sugar. Don't believe all the hype.
    If sugar was really the issue to obesity, then countries that consume more than the US should also have an obesity issue, and most of them don't. Brazil as a country consumes more than the US.

^^^This, end thread...
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are essential nutrients. You can survive perfectly well without any sugar that is not naturally present in low sugar foods like vegetables. All other concerns aside, protein, in particular, contributes greatly to satiety. Sugar doesn't.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    People talk about taxing this and banning that.

I vote, that misinformation should be banned and anyone intentionally spreading it should be taxed heavily.

The more I learn ,more confused I get.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    btw guys-long ago a lot of studies supported Smoking helps exercising lungs and later what the truth was.

I wonder if what we know about food and types of food -changes as well. 
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    ozarknick wrote: »
    The way I see it, a calorie is a calorie.

But calories from different sources make me feel different.

I remember reading about a guy a couple years ago lost weight eating nothing but Twinkies because he maintained his deficit.

But if I did that, I guarantee I'd feel like crap.

Not to mention hungry as hell. 150cal per twinkie. If your TDEE is say 2500 and you are going for a 500cal deficit, that's 13 twinkies a day. Idk that 4 twinkie for each meal would keep me at all satisfied.

The only real issue with sugar, is that it is normally paired with high fat as well (ie baked goods, ice cream etc) for a very calorically dense combination.The resulting high calories for non satiating food can lead people to over consume calories. But, then again so are fried chicken, BBQ ribs, lasagna, pizza etc. All tasty, all pretty calorically dense, all need portion control to avoid over consumption.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yup. What's the issue with sugar? It uses up your calories and leaves you hungry. That's all.

What's the difference between "bad sugars" and "good sugars" (or "bad carbs" and "good carbs")? Some of them leave you hungry right away, others keep you going for a bit longer. That's all "glycaemic index" means.

Sugar is also bad for your teeth and can make you hungrier in general. My advice: eat it in moderation, brush your teeth, eat your greens, and stick to your calorie goals. You've got this.
  • Mrsko79
    Mrsko79 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Saw a documentary "Fed up" and "Sugar Coated"

are there different types of sugar? like good sugar vs bad sugar? sugar in fruit vs sugarcane vs jaggery vs molasses vs honey?

How do I reduce my intake? -i'm not diabetic or have any one in my family or extended family suffering from it or have history of but those documentaries make me think.

I finally accepted that eating a pizza vs eating regular home made food is no different for weight loss as long as I maintain a deficit and now this?

The more I learn the more confused I get -who is right? who is wrong?

Well to start with - stop watching shockumentaries as your source of health information and instead go to real medical sources of information like the AMA or the AHA.

At any rate yes a calorie is just a calorie, but eating more sugar will tend to make you hungrier because it triggers a higher insulin response - so it is harder to resist cravings. So unless you have super human willpower, if you eat more sugar, you are most likely going to eat more food overall. So just cut back on added sugars and you will find your appetite decreases. You don't have to be fanatical about it.

The AHA does warn as well as the WHO that women should only consune 6 teaspoons of added sugars daily. Men are 9.

Consuming too much sugar causes cardiovascular issues, obesity, and other problems. It has been revealed for a while. Not just by "shockumentaries"

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#mainContent
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

Consuming too much sugar causes cardiovascular issues, obesity, and other problems. It has been revealed for a while. Not just by "shockumentaries"

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-

Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#mainContent[/quote]

To much of anything causes those issues not just sugar.

• Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

are there different types of sugar? like good sugar vs bad sugar? sugar in fruit vs sugarcane vs jaggery vs molasses vs honey?

How do I reduce my intake? -i'm not diabetic or have any one in my family or extended family suffering from it or have history of but those documentaries make me think.

I finally accepted that eating a pizza vs eating regular home made food is no different for weight loss as long as I maintain a deficit and now this?

These message boards will just confuse you more because everyone on here thinks they're an expert... but let's be real/ logical here... if they were an expert... they wouldn't be on the message boards now would they? best of luck weeding through the BS.

Best advice I can give is speak with your doctor or go to a nutritionist.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Mrsko79 wrote: »

Well to start with - stop watching shockumentaries as your source of health information and instead go to real medical sources of information like the AMA or the AHA.

At any rate yes a calorie is just a calorie, but eating more sugar will tend to make you hungrier because it triggers a higher insulin response - so it is harder to resist cravings. So unless you have super human willpower, if you eat more sugar, you are most likely going to eat more food overall. So just cut back on added sugars and you will find your appetite decreases. You don't have to be fanatical about it.

The AHA does warn as well as the WHO that women should only consune 6 teaspoons of added sugars daily. Men are 9.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Added-Sugars_UCM_305858_Article.jsp#mainContent

Excessive sugar intake has been linked to those issues through correlation studies. It has not been shown that excessive sugar actually causes those issues.
    What it does show is that people who tend to eat more sugar also tend to eat more calories in general which leads to obesity. From there, we know that obesity does indeed lead to such health problems.

Maybe a lot of people get their excess calories from sugar (many don't) but the issue is obesity caused by too many calories, regardless of their source.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Mrsko79 wrote: »

The only reasons the WHO advocates lower sugar are tooth health and the amount of calories.
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue. Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence. To be clear, sugar is fairly common. I think what you're referring to is refined sugar - as in the kind found in candy, cake frosting, or even the cake itself. Calories from refined sugar - also called "empty calories - have ZERO nutritional value (hence the term "empty").

Now, if the best solution is to avoid the problem, how to deal with refined sugar?
    1. You're gonna have to become expert at reading labels. HINT: anything ending in "ose" such as "sucrose", "dextrose", or "glucose" should trigger a red flag. Also, be on the lookout for sugar-type substitutes, like stevia and truvia.
    2. Shopping the periphery of the store physically avoids the problem - the sugar-laden products are on the shelves in the middle.

BTW - same general idea holds for salt. You'll find all the salt you need in the food you eat. No need for more.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Raptor2763 wrote: »
    A calorie is NOT a calorie - THAT'S the issue. Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence. To be clear, sugar is fairly common. I think what you're referring to is refined sugar - as in the kind found in candy, cake frosting, or even the cake itself. Calories from refined sugar - also called "empty calories - have ZERO nutritional value (hence the term "empty").

Now, if the best solution is to avoid the problem, how to deal with refined sugar?
    1. You're gonna have to become expert at reading labels. HINT: anything ending in "ose" such as "sucrose", "dextrose", or "glucose" should trigger a red flag. Also, be on the lookout for sugar-type substitutes, like stevia and truvia.
    2. Shopping the periphery of the store physically avoids the problem - the sugar-laden products are on the shelves in the middle.

BTW - same general idea holds for salt. You'll find all the salt you need in the food you eat. No need for more.

Wow.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Can you please elaborate on the set sequence the body uses to process macronutrients?

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

That's a whole big pile of FNO.

Regarding the "set sequence," you seem to misunderstand things. It's not a sequence - macronutrients are absorbed/processed at different rates, but not at different times.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Calories from proteins, fat, and sugar are used in a set sequence.

Yeah you're gonna have to elaborate on this one...