August (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• TravelBear87
    TravelBear87 Posts: 98 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well done everyone, you are all clocking up some serious miles and its certainly motivating me to keep going and do better. Also thanks for all the awesome advise and taking the time to reply to me!

Today was day 2 of my marathon training program which required me to do a 3 mile run. After some fab advise from other runners on MFP I did manage to slow down my overall pace to a 10:14 min mile. I find it really hard to concentrate on going slow.....which is weird. I have to actively make myself slow down. Tomorrow I need to complete a 4 mile run so I will take the same approach, slower but steady. The main thing is I did it, even though it was a mental nightmare! :D

Question: Any advise on weight training without tiring out my body and also advise on early morning runs? (Can't really eat before my run due to how early i'll be doing it"

07/08/2016 - 2.5
    08/08/2016 - 3
    09/08/2016 - 3

8.5 total! :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @elise4270 had the sweetest little man in my arms, but it didn't work out. :cry:

Hang in there @greenolivetree {hugs}
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - I just LOVE your "Mental Anatomy of a Long Out-and-Back Run". Very funny and true! My first half marathon in October is an out and back and I am just imagining this scenario. I haven't even run that far yet and I can relate.

And on the ankle pain - I had and still get a bit of tendonitis, which I believe is posterior tibial tendonitis. Very sore right by the ankle bone on the inside and running up the calf. It didn't hurt while I ran but after and while walking around. I ended up doing PT and working on strengthening and stretching my calf muscles, quads and hips. My ankles were weak but the PT said I needed to work on the big muscles to stabilize. It seems to have really helped and now I just get a minor twinge here and there. I do yoga and lots of stretching and I think that helps. Calf stretching especially.

It's been a long day already and I still have my tempo run tonight. So hot, so do not want to do it. We better get popsicles at the end!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Got out fairly early this morning while it was still cool and beautiful out! Loving these cool mornings! I did have meetings scheduled on the fly that conflicted with my run but I went anyway and called in while I was out on the trail. I just didn't want to give up my opportunity to enjoy the morning especially since it is going to get hot here again. I am thinking about doing a couple of miles on the treadmill tonight after strength training as I had hoped to get in at east 6 this morning. We'll see how I feel later though.

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training
    08/03.......0.00.........5.24
    08/04.......5.01.......10.25 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/05.......4.25.......14.50
    08/06.......7.09.......21.59
    08/07.......0.00.......21.59
    08/08.......4.21.......25.80 - + Agility
    08/09.......4.20.......30.00 - + Strength training ***so surprised to see it hit 30 exactly without me trying! ***

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon

@Orphia - I had a sports ortho doctor explain to me that shin splints are most often caused by tight calf muscles that pull on those tibialis muscles causing soreness. He recommended regular calf stretches and after my first bout I have not had any further issue as long as I take care of my calves.
    @KatieJane83 - loved your analysis! We must all have similar thought processes along the way!
    @Elise4270 - Horizontal running!! Perfect! :heart:
    @luluinca - take your time easing back in so your body really does recover from your cold or whatever it is.
    @ceciliaslater - the Route 66 HM sounds more like a 13.1 mile party than a race! :)
    @greenolivetree - yay on your run! I am sorry though about the bad news on your husband's health! Hang in there and hopefully the additional tests will show that it is not too bad at all!
    @sunkisd1105 - just wait... my daughter is older than many of the runners in our group here and I still can't believe I have a kid that old! Nope! It just isn't possible!! :noway:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - thinking of you and sorry to hear about the bad news about your husband's health. Wishing you both strength, one step at a time.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Training plan calls for 2 optional Race Pace Runs, a 6 miler 4-8 weeks out from the race, and an 8 miler about 3 weeks out. I want to use them, just as a gauge of how reasonable my pace goals are (Sub 2:15 is main goal, sub 2:05 would be sweet, 2:00 or less would be out of this world)

I just realized I ran 5.52 miles during the 50 minutes of Steady State (9:04 average) I'm half tempted to just say that counts as the 6 miler. I know it's not, but I also know another half mile at that pace was doable (I averaged 9:05 that last 0.52 miles).

I'm thinking about sneaking in the 8 mile RP run in 3 weeks, that would be 3 weeks out from the race, just to see how it goes.

anyway, random thought of mine...typing out loud, so to speak.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Praying for your husband and for you, @greenolivetree . I'm sorry to hear about the health issues. :(

@KatieJane83 That sounds like my the voices in my head...or something quite like it since I do loops around lakes more than out-and-backs. Mine are more like "why does this side seem like it's all uphill" but then when I go the other way...it's inexplicably all uphill too! How does that work?

Today I did my bigger 4.5 mile lake loop and what should have been a brilliant run in the low 70s was just slow-slow-slow. I know I've been neglecting my iron again (bad idea), and I know I've had some low-mileage weeks (back on track), and I know that I hadn't had my coffee or breakfast and my knee is a little twingy...but what was seriously causing me trouble was fear. This is the first time I've been back to this course since I took my flying-leap into the ground two weeks ago, and every time I would start to pick up a little speed I'd come on a root, or a rock and I'd just panic that I was going to fall again. I'm going to go back tomorrow for my long run and just make myself do it again and again until it isn't so scary. I hope that happens soon.

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @5BeautifulDays you'll get over the jitters from the route and be mastering it again soon.
  • ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    8/01: Off, rest day
    8/02: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/03: 8 miles, fartlek
    8/04: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    8/05: Off, active rest day - leisurely biking and walking
    8/06: 13.1 miles, long and super easy
    8/07: 10K race (51:59 - 6.30 miles) + 2.13 mile warm up
    8/08: Off, rest day
    8/09: 4 miles, easy + strides + strength training
    Total: 41.7 miles

Overview:
    4 miles at an easy pace this morning. Not going to lie, this run was so much harder than it should have been. I don’t know what is wrong with my damn legs, but they just hurt everywhere all the time and it makes running really difficult because it feels like my legs are about to collapse under me with each step. It's not pain like injury pain, just generalized achy tenderness everywhere and complete jello legs. No idea what is causing it; I've run mileage like this before without this kind of trouble! I've been pushing through it for over 2 weeks now; I just hope it goes away soon, otherwise I might have to consider the dreaded option of Taking Time Off :(

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    8/07: Chicago 10K 51:59 - not my best by a long shot but I'll take it
    8/26: Rock the Night 5K
    9/10: Chicago Women's Half Marathon
    9/25: Lifetime 5K
    10/09: Chicago Marathon
    10/30: Hot Chocolate 5K
    11/27: Space Coast Half Marathon
  • libelulla1
    libelulla1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 3.0 miles
    8/2 - 3.0 miles
    8/5 - 2.0 miles
    8/6 - 6.2 miles
    8/8 - 3.0 miles
    8/9 - 3.0 miles
    Goal: 45
    Total to date: 20.2
    24.8 to go

Upcoming Races:
    (claiming it) Peachtree City Classic 15k
    10/15/18
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I think I've come up with a plan and I would really appreciate it if any of you experienced runners have any suggestions for me. I'm really new at this and have been swimming my entire life for cardio but have suddenly fallen in love with running at the tender age of 66......LOL

I spent part of the day looking at training programs and HR zones for running. Once my 5K is in the books I'm going to start training for a 10K in November. Here's the thing though.....I am not giving up strength training. I decided to follow Jeff Galloway's 10K plan (thanks Marine_92) because he recommends 3 running days and 3 walk or cross training days and Sat off with the long run on Sun. I can do my weight lifting on Xtraining days so I think that will work for me.

As far as heart rate goes, I'll primarily be working in the easy zone to aerobic zone with some hill running in the anaerobic zone. My doc has given me permission to do whatever I feel good doing as I have zero negative health issues. I don't really plan on going beyond a 10K distance, but you never know, and now that I'm in maintenance MODE I need fitness goals.

I've been fighting a minor cold (last week) and minor cough (this week) so my running has suffered a bit but I'm well again. I'm doing my first 5K on Aug 21 and I'm more than ready for the distance but have no clue what my time will be. I normally run the hilly horse trails here and the 5K will be flat and probably a hard surface.

So here's what it looks like until the 5K and then afterwards everything just increases......

08/04 – 1 mile
    08/05 – 1 mile
    08/06 – 3 miles
    08/09 – 1.3 miles – HR 135-140 running flat surface………154 running hills
    08/10 – 75 min Strength Training and 20 min Xtraining – Stairmaster and Stationary Bike
    08/11 – 35 min run -2+ miles
    08/12 – 75 min Strength Training and 25 min Xtraining – Elliptical, Stairmaster, Bike
    08/13 – Rest Day
    08/14 – 3+ miles at the park on concrete path
    08/15 – 75 min Strength Training and 30 min Xtraining – Elliptical, Stairmaster, Bike
    08/16 – 40 min run - 3 miles
    08/17 – 75 min Strength Training and 30 min Xtraining
    08/18 – 30 min run - 2 miles
    08/19 – 75 min Strength Training and 30 min Xtraining
    08/20 – Rest Day
    08/21 – 5K Tiki Run
    Begin training for 10K

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for August
    8/1 9 miles - 9
    8/1 4.5 miles - 13.5 << Daily Double
    8/2 9 miles - 22.5
    8/2 4 miles - 26.5 << Daily Double
    8/3 5 miles - 31.5
    8/4 9 miles - 40.5
    8/4 4 miles - 44.5 << Daily Double
    8/5 5.25 miles - 49.75
    8/6 20.97 miles - 70.72
    8/7 REST DAY
    8/8 7 miles - 77.72
    8/8 4 miles - 81.72 << Daily Double
    8/9 9 miles - 90.72
    8/9 5 miles - 95.72 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

Didn't get to my second run until earlier tonight. Didn't have time during work today and when I came home I took a nap first.

@greenolivetree praying that it's not too bad of news for your husband. Keep the faith.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    08/01- 7.2km
    08/02- 3.9km
    08/03- 12.5km
    08/04- Active Rest Day (taking the babies to the zoo)
    08/05- Rest Day
    08/06- Rest Day (wedding)
    08/07- 11km
    08/08- 8.8km
    08/09- 5.8km of dreadmill

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - I just LOVE your "Mental Anatomy of a Long Out-and-Back Run". Very funny and true! My first half marathon in October is an out and back and I am just imagining this scenario. I haven't even run that far yet and I can relate.

And on the ankle pain - I had and still get a bit of tendonitis, which I believe is posterior tibial tendonitis. Very sore right by the ankle bone on the inside and running up the calf. It didn't hurt while I ran but after and while walking around. I ended up doing PT and working on strengthening and stretching my calf muscles, quads and hips. My ankles were weak but the PT said I needed to work on the big muscles to stabilize. It seems to have really helped and now I just get a minor twinge here and there. I do yoga and lots of stretching and I think that helps. Calf stretching especially.

It's been a long day already and I still have my tempo run tonight. So hot, so do not want to do it. We better get popsicles at the end!

Yeah, this sounds just like what I'm feeling. It feels like it stiffens up too, when I'm sitting for a while. I had started researching the posterior tibial tendon, I think I'll start trying some of the PT exercises for it, and maybe schedule an appointment to have for next week, if it does end up being more than a day or two twinge.

Thanks so much for sharing!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Long run planned today....going to slow it waaay down at 70% max heart rate, hopefully 10 miles today...still very hot at Naptown....84 degrees, 91HI, and 52% humidity. Will check in later.

Achieved goal of 10 miles.....but unable to slow to 70% ...at all. First mile, averaged 75%, then next 6 miles at 80-82%; Felt good, breathing well, focused on posture, arm placement and slowing my steps. Then legs and feet became very sore and I felt like I had to pick up the pace to stretch out my hips...and I noticed that my heart rate decreased by 3%. Co-incidence? It happened on 3 other occasions in the last couple of miles...I really tried to focus on keeping the heart rate down, still at 79-83%. After completing mile 9.25, sprinted the last 3/4 mile...ended with 96% heart rate, but not really breathing hard or bent over trying to catch my breath like I usually am when going full out. ...it took forever (nearly 2.5 hours for 10 miles)....but going to try it again in a couple of weeks. Not sore at all. Even cut my recovery walk (jumping jacks, high knees, etc) short due to my husband needing me to help with the yard.

August 1---poison ivy....rest day
    August 2....;poison ivy....rest day
    August 3....dr.'s visit for the poison ivy....put on Prednisone....rest again
    August 4....4 miles....
    August 5....husband's 65th birthday....celebration with friends.
    August 6.....10 miles

Total for August.... 14 miles....goal is 85...

August 7....still with poison ivy....rest day...actually I work the night shift.
    August 8th...weight lifting, Spinning class...then 3.87 miles on the treadmill. Decided to try to keep the pace slow again....Averaged 80% of max heart rate with high of 87% ....pretty good control...Rolling hills program. Pace of 13:02 minute miles. Increased pace during cool down slightly ...just to see...heart rate dipped x 2 minutes and then increased to 82%. No detectable soreness during run or afterward.

The prednisone is keeping me from sleeping...only 3 hours of sleep today. I am ready to be done with the taper.

Total for August ----17.87 miles. goal is 85.

Feeling better. Only 2 more days on the prednisone, thankfully. Coming off it is quite a drain...didn't feel like doing anything, including running,,,,for the first time in months. Also very hot here, 91 degrees at 4 p.m. so delayed running until 8 p.m. where it was only 84 with HI of 90. 6 mile run today, ran the first 5 miles at Hr of 80-85% (12:30-13:20 miles), last mile at HR of 93-96% max, and not winded afterward. Averaged 12:33 miles.... Very muggy out there...still focused on form, racing posture, and breathing. Recovery walk cut short due to darkness and part of the faster running was due to it getting dark.

I promised my husband that we would go to State Fair tomorrow...so another rest day planned.

August 9th.....6 miles....
    Total for August.....23.87 miles Goal is 85 miles.

@greenolivetree So sorry to hear about your husband's health. I have been praying very hard for him, you and your family to get through this, and have fingers crossed that the findings won't be that bad.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree : sending positive thoughts and prayers for your husband!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I confirmed tonight that I hate running on the treadmill. It was hot, boring and miserable and I was able to push myself and get in 3 fast miles. ~0.7 mile warm up, 2 miles fast, 0.5 mile cool down. May try to do this every Tuesday as a bit of a speed workout.

Date.........Miles........Total
    08/01.......0.00.........0.00 - + Agility
    08/02.......5.24.........5.24 - + Strength training
    08/03.......0.00.........5.24
    08/04.......5.01.......10.25 - + Strength training and Rally
    08/05.......4.25.......14.50
    08/06.......7.09.......21.59
    08/07.......0.00.......21.59
    08/08.......4.21.......25.80 - + Agility
    08/09.......7.40.......33.20 - + Strength training + treadmill run of 3.2 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    07/04/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon

09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    August

2Aug - 7m
    4Aug - 8m
    6Aug - 5m
    7Aug - 6.4m
    9Aug - 4.8m

31.4/100miles